Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes 10:17 - Aug 21 with 5921 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Over the summer. He has gone from a promising player to our best player over the course of a summer holiday.

My god he is so good. He is strong as an ox, did you see him body that AFC player last night. Sent him flying.

His feet are brilliant, he is so tidy in possession, and has a good range of pass. He is along with Norwood and Woolf, undroppable. So pleased with him this season, a joy to watch.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:20 - Aug 21 with 5046 viewsMrTown

Saw most pre season games, and I said he is having a very good pre-season, looked to have found a different step up in his prgression, then at Burton Albion I thought jesus, best player on the pitch, think I even said if he continous this rich vein of form throughout the season he'll be the best central midfielder in the league...

To which of course, I received a slight bit of backlash.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:21 - Aug 21 with 5033 viewsGooders7592

Had his Weetabix
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:22 - Aug 21 with 5025 viewsJackSted

Now obviously I wouldn't want to sell him. However if it does get to the point in a few seasons when we do end up selling him, I reckon he could be the player to get us mega £££££

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:26 - Aug 21 with 4966 viewsDyland

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:22 - Aug 21 by JackSted

Now obviously I wouldn't want to sell him. However if it does get to the point in a few seasons when we do end up selling him, I reckon he could be the player to get us mega £££££

Him and Dozzers are very valuable "assets".

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:27 - Aug 21 with 4963 viewsSomethingBlue

Expected him to kick on, to be be fair, and he really has. Will be worth some pretty serious money soon, perhaps even in January, and depending on the state of our season & midfield at that point the club may have a decision to make. Obviously let's just enjoy him for the moment though!

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:29 - Aug 21 with 4928 viewsSteve_M

He's another year older, playing against players who aren't as good as those in the Championship. He was also one of the more impressive players from the Autumn onwards (at Millwall before PL started he kept going in a poor team performance).

Five matches is a small sample size still (I'm including Luton because in 20 minutes Downes raised our performance) but the step up has been very good to see. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:34 - Aug 21 with 4882 viewsMrTown

If his prpgression is at the rate it is now, he has everything to be a really high level no.8

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:37 - Aug 21 with 4842 viewsHerbivore

One thing that stood out for me last night is how easily he ghosts past players, a bit like young Bish used to when he broke into the side. Not only can he do that but he can tackle and put himself about and he can pick a pass. He moves the ball quickly too. He's got all the attributes to be a top class midfield player.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:39 - Aug 21 with 4822 viewsTractorCam

Isn't it sad that we think about getting money for a player rather than having a future with the player...

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:40 - Aug 21 with 4818 viewsWickets

The new Steve Gerrard ?
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:41 - Aug 21 with 4805 viewsHerbivore

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:39 - Aug 21 by TractorCam

Isn't it sad that we think about getting money for a player rather than having a future with the player...

Modern football innit. Pretty much every club is a selling club. If we can unearth a player that can command an eight figure fee, and I genuinely see Downes having that potential, it could be a game changer for us.

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:43 - Aug 21 with 4778 viewsghostofescobar

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:40 - Aug 21 by Wickets

The new Steve Gerrard ?

Like Velice Sumulikoski?

GhostOfEscobar

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:44 - Aug 21 with 4761 viewsMrTown

The new Steve Gerrard ?

He is in that mould.

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:50 - Aug 21 with 4718 viewsitfcjoe

You could see in pre season he was going to be massive for us, was excellent at Colchester and then best player on the pitch v Cambridge which made the red card even more annoyings as fellt there may follow a suspension.

He is able to play in between the lines as well as everything else mentioned in this thread - plus for Jackson's winner it is him winning the 2 headers and keeping the game alive

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:53 - Aug 21 with 4685 viewsWestcountryblue

Reminds me of a young Scott Parker during his Chalton days.

He's going from strength to strength at the moment.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 10:56]
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:55 - Aug 21 with 4664 viewsHerbivore

The new Steve Gerrard ?

Nah. He doesn't make the lung busting runs or get the goals that Gerrard used to. I'd say he's more of a Joey Barton without the w@nker gene, or the Scott Parker comparison was also pretty apt.

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:01 - Aug 21 with 4595 viewspointofblue

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:55 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

Nah. He doesn't make the lung busting runs or get the goals that Gerrard used to. I'd say he's more of a Joey Barton without the w@nker gene, or the Scott Parker comparison was also pretty apt.

The headbutt shows that gene may be lurking in there, albeit not as obvious as Barton’s!

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:03 - Aug 21 with 4577 viewsWickets

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:43 - Aug 21 by ghostofescobar

Like Velice Sumulikoski?

No he wasn't the new one he was the whatever country he came from one !
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:05 - Aug 21 with 4557 viewsHerbivore

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:01 - Aug 21 by pointofblue

The headbutt shows that gene may be lurking in there, albeit not as obvious as Barton’s!

More referring to Barton's numerous indiscretions off the pitch. Flynn has that fire on the pitch but doesn't seem to be a genuinely nasty piece of work like Barton.

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:13 - Aug 21 with 4501 viewsvilanovablue

I also think critically he is getting the chance in the right division with better quality around him than if he'd gone on loan to another club in this division which may have happened if we were still in the Championship.
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:42 - Aug 21 with 4373 viewssuffolkpoker

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 10:44 - Aug 21 by MrTown

He is in that mould.

I thought he looked more like Scoles than Stevie G.

I love how he always brings the ball down and lays it off, looking for the return pass straight away. Then you add that bite he has in him, we have got a serious player.

my 2 new fav players... Downes and Norwood.

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:45 - Aug 21 with 4361 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wasn't there an article from him on here yesterday where it said he had seen a psychologist and was in a much better place mentally and emotionally. Very open and honest of him and could easily explain the progress.

He certainly looked a different player last night to what I have seen before. He and Skuse worked really well together.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:46 - Aug 21 with 4355 viewsBlueySwede

I have always liked him, but as you say he has really made strides this summer.
Just hope he can add a few goals to his game.
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:54 - Aug 21 with 4310 viewsitfc_bucks

Best box-to-box midfielder since Holland.
What the hell has happened to Flynn Downes on 11:55 - Aug 21 with 4304 viewsSuperfrans

He's been a really excellent player for two years now, he has just needed games and experience. He'll be in the Prem within two years, imho.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024