Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Supporters a bit harsh? 09:54 - Aug 21 with 4463 viewsBlueySwede

I think some supporters are a bit harsh on the team at the moment. We are not yet the finished article.
Yes, Lambert got his tactics wrong, but he at least changed it around, where a more stubborn manager would have persisted.
First half wasn´t good, but we still dominated the game and should never have been behind (I blame that mostly on Donacien for that one). We had our chances.
Many teams will sit back against us, patience will be a virtue this season, both for players and supporters.
Credit to the supporters at PR, the atmosphere towards the end really came through the telly. Keep it up!
He should have changed it.... on 10:04 - Aug 21 with 3840 viewsBloots

....at half time.

I can forgive the first half set up, but to wait 15 minutes to make the change that literally everyone could see was needed was ridiculous.

We've been poor for large parts of matches that we should be in control of.

Despite the euphoria of a couple of last minute goals, nobody can honestly say we are playing consistently playing well.

Performances simply need to improve.

This is the 3rd Division!
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 10:04]

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:06 - Aug 21 with 3828 viewsMrTown

There will always be fans who are going to be harsh.

I was very fustrated first half and half time. I thought Lambert got it wrong again, thought he got it wrong at Peterborough waiting until 70th mintue to actually get someone to pick Maddison, by then already 2-1 down. But then again he rectified it at Peterborough and he rectfied again last night and that is what he is paid to do.

Just seems a bit silly giving hills to climb deep into games when we really shouldn't be in the situation.

Last night was a tale of 2 halves for me, far to easy to defend against first half. Didn't deserve to be behind but it was an indivudal error that cost us again, having said that we didn't have a consistent cutting edge to maybe be ahead.

Second half much better, much more dyanmic, quicker movement of the ball, better movement OFF the ball. Thought we looked dangerous second half.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Not sure he rectified it at Posh on 10:09 - Aug 21 with 3807 viewsDyland

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:06 - Aug 21 by MrTown

There will always be fans who are going to be harsh.

I was very fustrated first half and half time. I thought Lambert got it wrong again, thought he got it wrong at Peterborough waiting until 70th mintue to actually get someone to pick Maddison, by then already 2-1 down. But then again he rectified it at Peterborough and he rectfied again last night and that is what he is paid to do.

Just seems a bit silly giving hills to climb deep into games when we really shouldn't be in the situation.

Last night was a tale of 2 halves for me, far to easy to defend against first half. Didn't deserve to be behind but it was an indivudal error that cost us again, having said that we didn't have a consistent cutting edge to maybe be ahead.

Second half much better, much more dyanmic, quicker movement of the ball, better movement OFF the ball. Thought we looked dangerous second half.

We only deserved the point there, imho, cos Posh had got away with one for their equaliser. We were pretty awful even after the changes.

Last night the changes made the difference tactically. But as Blooters says, it took a long time to make the changes. I was frothing at Lambert at half time and for the first bit of second half.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:19 - Aug 21 with 3781 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I think last night gave every reason to moan and be a bit worried up until 80 minutes, we were awful. I just wasn't sure what Lambert was even trying.

Still got the win though, which shows good character.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:47 - Aug 21 with 3731 viewsThatMuhrenCross

Harsh is an understatement.

Yes, a lot of that game wasn't easy on the eye. Yes, we weren't good enough against Peterborough.

However... we're a team in transition. We've just come off the back of a season where we were losing week-in-week out. Confidence was shattered.

Also, at this level, it's been a tough start. Burton, Sunderland and Peterborough will all have aspirations of finishing top six. We came out of those unbeaten.

We were expected to beat Wimbledon. We beat them.

Lambert is trying to change our footballing philosophy. We used to be a team that relied too much on loanees and played an unattractive brand off route-one football. Now he's using home grown players and trying to keep the ball on the ground.

It isn't going to happen over night.

The beauty of this season is we can make those mistakes. We can have those off performances and still get away with it.

Watch us get better and better as the season goes on. I still believe we'll be top at Christmas and ultimately we'll end on a huge points total.

Poll: Ipswich offer you 10k a week, Norwich offer you 20k. Who do you join?
Blog: The Cashless Debate

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:49 - Aug 21 with 3722 viewsNazemariner

The booing at half time was quite simply embarrassing.
Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:56 - Aug 21 with 3706 viewsBobbychase

I had to mute a couple of people last night, the whinging was making my ears bleed.

Given that we're unbeaten after a difficult start and riding high in the table with so many key players either still out injured or coming back from injury means Lambert is not a clueless manager, as plenty like to suggest.

And so much of the moaning is hypocritical and disappears like a puff of smoke when confronted with facts. "Lambert doesn't trust the youngsters and won't play them". Oh really? El Mizouni, Downes, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Kenlock. In Kenlock we see what happens when youngsters are played when they are not good enough.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:59 - Aug 21 with 3693 viewsBrixtonBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:47 - Aug 21 by ThatMuhrenCross

Harsh is an understatement.

Yes, a lot of that game wasn't easy on the eye. Yes, we weren't good enough against Peterborough.

However... we're a team in transition. We've just come off the back of a season where we were losing week-in-week out. Confidence was shattered.

Also, at this level, it's been a tough start. Burton, Sunderland and Peterborough will all have aspirations of finishing top six. We came out of those unbeaten.

We were expected to beat Wimbledon. We beat them.

Lambert is trying to change our footballing philosophy. We used to be a team that relied too much on loanees and played an unattractive brand off route-one football. Now he's using home grown players and trying to keep the ball on the ground.

It isn't going to happen over night.

The beauty of this season is we can make those mistakes. We can have those off performances and still get away with it.

Watch us get better and better as the season goes on. I still believe we'll be top at Christmas and ultimately we'll end on a huge points total.

"We used to be a team that relied too much on loanees and played an unattractive brand off route-one football. Now he's using home grown players and trying to keep the ball on the ground."

Did you witness last night! That was very much route-one football for the most part.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Login to get fewer ads

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:02 - Aug 21 with 3675 viewsSomethingBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:56 - Aug 21 by Bobbychase

I had to mute a couple of people last night, the whinging was making my ears bleed.

Given that we're unbeaten after a difficult start and riding high in the table with so many key players either still out injured or coming back from injury means Lambert is not a clueless manager, as plenty like to suggest.

And so much of the moaning is hypocritical and disappears like a puff of smoke when confronted with facts. "Lambert doesn't trust the youngsters and won't play them". Oh really? El Mizouni, Downes, Dozzell, Woolfenden, Kenlock. In Kenlock we see what happens when youngsters are played when they are not good enough.

Quite. It's far from perfect and last night was for the most part pretty frustrating but in the circumstances I am seeing a little too much nit-pickery at the moment. We're well set.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 3649 viewsBlueySwede

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:59 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

"We used to be a team that relied too much on loanees and played an unattractive brand off route-one football. Now he's using home grown players and trying to keep the ball on the ground."

Did you witness last night! That was very much route-one football for the most part.

Keeping the ball on the ground isn´t always an option. When teams sits back you need to mix it up a bit, like Skuse´s ball for the winner yesterday.
I think the route-one football is a result of having many injuries, late recruitments, a bit of chopping and changing. Performances will improve.
Even yesterday I enjoyed the football more than I did during McCarthys final two years, at least second half.
Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:08 - Aug 21 with 3650 viewsBobbychase

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:02 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

Quite. It's far from perfect and last night was for the most part pretty frustrating but in the circumstances I am seeing a little too much nit-pickery at the moment. We're well set.

1 We take too long over throw-ins
2 Norwood is over-rated
3 Judge is a luxury
4 Lambert only knows PR, he can't manage

Amid genuine criticisms of our slow start and Donacien's performance, I had to wade through bilge like this all evening

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:13 - Aug 21 with 3629 viewsSomethingBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:08 - Aug 21 by Bobbychase

1 We take too long over throw-ins
2 Norwood is over-rated
3 Judge is a luxury
4 Lambert only knows PR, he can't manage

Amid genuine criticisms of our slow start and Donacien's performance, I had to wade through bilge like this all evening

I'd like the "PR Paul" stuff to go in the bin and stay there. It's not helpful and it astonishes me that a few people are using it given what he's done to get the crowds going & some sort of buzz returning - 18.5k in there last night was spectacular in the circumstances, last season I thought we'd be getting 12/13k tops for that kind of game. We need it. Yes we need the results too but we're currently getting them nicely enough so I'd rather any cynicism — not constructive criticism, that's different and often valid — was parked because it's really boring and not very clever.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:13]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Spot on on 11:15 - Aug 21 with 3620 viewsBobbychase

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:13 - Aug 21 by SomethingBlue

I'd like the "PR Paul" stuff to go in the bin and stay there. It's not helpful and it astonishes me that a few people are using it given what he's done to get the crowds going & some sort of buzz returning - 18.5k in there last night was spectacular in the circumstances, last season I thought we'd be getting 12/13k tops for that kind of game. We need it. Yes we need the results too but we're currently getting them nicely enough so I'd rather any cynicism — not constructive criticism, that's different and often valid — was parked because it's really boring and not very clever.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:13]

Given that some people were predicting crowds of 12,000 and some areas of the stadium closed, the current attendances and atmosphere represent a turnaround none of us could have predicted.

PR Paul is just a lazy phrase used by dimwits, the same dimwits who complained that Mick was mean to them and Marcus Evans doesn't talk to the fans enough.

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:27 - Aug 21 with 3579 viewsBrixtonBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 11:08 - Aug 21 by BlueySwede

Keeping the ball on the ground isn´t always an option. When teams sits back you need to mix it up a bit, like Skuse´s ball for the winner yesterday.
I think the route-one football is a result of having many injuries, late recruitments, a bit of chopping and changing. Performances will improve.
Even yesterday I enjoyed the football more than I did during McCarthys final two years, at least second half.

I appreciate keeping it on the ground isn't always an option - but if that's the case, surely you change the tactics (i.e. 2 up front). Hoofing it to an isolated Norwood didn't work.

I agree "at least the second half" - although he took far too long to change it IMO. Should've changed at half time.

The first half I commented at the time seemed very McCarthyesque. I disagree that the route one football was a result of having many injuries and late recruitments. We had enough good players (including on the bench) to play football. Surely Huws, for example, is ready to have some involvement in the league?

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Indeed on 11:39 - Aug 21 with 3552 viewsDyland

Spot on on 11:15 - Aug 21 by Bobbychase

Given that some people were predicting crowds of 12,000 and some areas of the stadium closed, the current attendances and atmosphere represent a turnaround none of us could have predicted.

PR Paul is just a lazy phrase used by dimwits, the same dimwits who complained that Mick was mean to them and Marcus Evans doesn't talk to the fans enough.

And using it as some kind of negative in the first place is just stupid, and quite typical of a certain section of society to boot.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:02 - Aug 21 with 3509 viewsVaughan8

Looking on Facebook, some supporters need to cheer the f up. If your not cheering a 94min winner then football might not be the sport you want (or support man city who will be 5-0 up by then). "Its only wimbkedon" "we should be beating these already" or to that affect.

Some seem to think we should be turning these teams over. I just want us to be more dominent. The 2nd half display shows we can do it. I looked at 25 mins after I had had dinner and there were no shots by either team and 1 corner to them. I would have expected at least a shot! Haha

I can understand frustration, but I think we all need to be a bit more patient (me included!)
Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:10 - Aug 21 with 3492 viewsSuperfrans

Agreed to an extent. Stuart Watson of the EADT posted a squad of 15 players yesterday - 6 of them are still injured, 5 more coming back from injury. We haven't been able to field our best team yet because of injuries, they haven't even been able to work together.

So to be 5th in the table, unbeaten with 8 points from 4 games is as good as we could have hoped for. Bolton and Shrews are both games we should win. If so, we'll be on 14 points from 6 games and looking good, possibly without barely getting into our stride.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:16 - Aug 21 with 3464 viewssotd78

Supporters a bit harsh? on 10:59 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

We spent most of the first half trying to keep the ball on the deck. As the half went on Wimbledon cottoned on and pressed higher. The route one option for the ball over the top for Jackson was not there. So NO we did NOT play route one first half.
We paid the price for everyone drifting left - and Donacien not picking up their guy loose on the edge of the box. That lack of discipline would not happen with a more experienced back line - which is one reason why Chambers will still play an integral role this season - of only for his ability to marshall a defence against better teams.
The substitution to go two up top took until 57 minutes - far too late really.
We got out of jail - but it wasn't great and the booing I think was more for the system than the players - having said that i never boo.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:22 - Aug 21 with 3444 viewsSuperfrans

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:16 - Aug 21 by sotd78

We spent most of the first half trying to keep the ball on the deck. As the half went on Wimbledon cottoned on and pressed higher. The route one option for the ball over the top for Jackson was not there. So NO we did NOT play route one first half.
We paid the price for everyone drifting left - and Donacien not picking up their guy loose on the edge of the box. That lack of discipline would not happen with a more experienced back line - which is one reason why Chambers will still play an integral role this season - of only for his ability to marshall a defence against better teams.
We got out of jail - but it wasn't great and the booing I think was more for the system than the players - having said that i never boo.

If we try to pass our way out of this division, we will fail. We will need a mixture of approaches this season to get promoted.

And I agree on their goal. Chambers is on the pitch (or a more alert, experienced right back) and we simply don't concede there.

The boos at the end of the first half were deserved. Playing a patently sub-standard opposition, who will only stay up this season because two of the relegation places are already bagged (by Bolton and Bury), we should have put them to the sword. But we are still feeling our way, trying to find the right personnel / chemistry to pull together a promotion team.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:22 - Aug 21 with 3441 viewsBrixtonBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:16 - Aug 21 by sotd78

I didn't say we specifically played route one first half. I said for the most part (of the whole game). There was lots of ineffective sideways passing in the first half.

Agree with the second half of your post.

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:25 - Aug 21 with 3434 viewsbefxblue

Probably a bit difficult to quantify.

I am fully behind the team, and would not boo them, but in my gut understand some of the frustration.

My take on it is that the supporters gave their all, in awful circumstances last season, when any other team would have been vilified, not easy to do. Add to that a poor 2nd half against P'boro, and awful first 60 yesterday, there was probably a sense of frustration and 'here we go again' that has built up, and for the first time in a long while, the team saw that. Credit Lamberts willingness to take it too them with a half time sub, and an eventual favourable outcome.
Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:36 - Aug 21 with 3408 viewsBecclesITFC

Levels of expectancy is a bit too high at the moment IMO.

We finished bottom of the league for a reason. We have found our natural level for now. The club needs to rebuild before it can boast to be a championship club and too good for this level.

I'm not talking about attendances and history. Simply football on the pitch here and now is L1 level and we will loose games this season against equal opposition.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 13:14]
Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:42 - Aug 21 with 3376 viewsthatdamgood89

It's expectation and I said this on my EADT preview video. People turning up expecting us to knock 3-6 goals past AFC Wimbeldon etc are in for a shock. It's not only their cup tie, big stadium, large crowd, good pitch but it's also football which is a funny old game. A strange decision from the ref, a mistake etc and suddenly you are a goal down and teams will then begin to dig in.

Give me 40 odd 1-0 win's and see us promoted. Nobody really remember's how Luton played last year they just remember they won the title.

On last night, while the ball retention wasn't probing or with any tempo it was good to see us keeping the ball at least and not just lumping it

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:54 - Aug 21 with 3353 viewsBrixtonBlue

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:42 - Aug 21 by thatdamgood89

It's expectation and I said this on my EADT preview video. People turning up expecting us to knock 3-6 goals past AFC Wimbeldon etc are in for a shock. It's not only their cup tie, big stadium, large crowd, good pitch but it's also football which is a funny old game. A strange decision from the ref, a mistake etc and suddenly you are a goal down and teams will then begin to dig in.

Give me 40 odd 1-0 win's and see us promoted. Nobody really remember's how Luton played last year they just remember they won the title.

On last night, while the ball retention wasn't probing or with any tempo it was good to see us keeping the ball at least and not just lumping it

You must've been watching a different game to me. I saw LOADS of "just lumping it."

Supporters a bit harsh? on 13:01 - Aug 21 with 3330 viewsthatdamgood89

Supporters a bit harsh? on 12:54 - Aug 21 by BrixtonBlue

You must've been watching a different game to me. I saw LOADS of "just lumping it."

Not in the first half we didn't. Now this is from memory because bad halves don't always stick well, but, in the First half we were having too much of the ball in our own half. Eventually you knock it down the line but that's just the outlet ball when you have played too many passes and been boxed in and not every ball off the ground forward is a 'lump'

First half we were too slow, too happy to play in our own half. No one wanted to turn and make things happen.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024