Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Main cause of last night poor start? 09:05 - Aug 21 with 1714 viewsChocorange

1.Was it the formation? We played 451/ 433 a number of times at the at start of Lambos time here( before Jan transfer window) and it hasn't worked .
2. Was it the players? Did we have too many who have yet to show a top performance in the same team or contribute consistently over 90 minutes instead of once or twice a match?
Donacien, Kenlock, Wilson, El Miz, Dozz, Rowe. Most teams have 1 or 2 at most when resting or developing players. Someone said to me before the game, this looks like a cup team and we know what happens then and it did.
When we took 3 of those off and went 442, we looked a different beast.
3. Was it the opposition ... Wimbledon getting everyone behind the ball? If so, we need to do something different whether it be 442 or something else .....as a lot of other teams are going to come here and do exactly the same.
4. Was it the manager ? Did Lambo get some of the above wrong and also underestimate the opposition or overestimate our capabilities?
Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:17 - Aug 21 with 1611 viewsShropshireBluenago09

Should have stuck with 442. Missed the energy of Jackson. 1 up front doesn’t work

Gus Uhlenbeek

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:18 - Aug 21 with 1604 viewsBrixtonBlue

A bit from every column there, I think.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:20 - Aug 21 with 1597 viewsBlueySwede

A bit of all that, but mostly the formation, I think.
I also got the feeling that the players thought it was going to be easier to turn over the opposition than it was.
Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:25 - Aug 21 with 1583 viewsNthsuffolkblue

1 Agree.
2 Not sure. We didn't weaken by that much. Resting Jackson (which is the formation as well) was the biggest miss. El Mizouni and Rowe were the two in the first half who showed most attacking intent and promise. Donacien and Kenlock have been ever present and need replacing (and will be) but we couldn't last night with the personnel who are going to replace them.
3 Yes, they did what they came to do and would be delighted with it until the last 10 minutes. However, they were not as adept at time wasting or holding out as teams we are used to playing in the Championship.
4 The manager corrected the problem and got the result - his ability to have a plan B being something he has been criticised over. However, yes he did appear to expect too much from one up front.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:37 - Aug 21 with 1555 viewsSuperfrans

FWIW, I think Lambo is still trying to work out our best formation and players.

Not ideal, I know. But this is kind of understandable given how many players have been injured and (as a result) how rarely we've had all of these players together and available at the same time.

Getting a team to function as best it can is a fairly inexact science, it's about finding chemistry, a formula. You can only really work out the best chemistry through trial & error and we're essentially seeing that played out in front of us atm.

First 45 mins / hour last night wasn't working, but things clicked in the last 20-30 minutes. We'd have won by 2 or 3 if we'd had an extra 30 minutes last night (or had that team on the pitch from the start or from 15 minutes into the game).

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:41 - Aug 21 with 1543 viewsitfc_bucks

In a 4-5-1/4-3-3, we simply didn't have the high press that's been working for us so well so far. Nors can't pressure two centre halves on his own.

Fact is, to play that game, we need either an additional high presence midfielder to assist OR it's a standard two up top.
Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:43 - Aug 21 with 1536 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:37 - Aug 21 by Superfrans

FWIW, I think Lambo is still trying to work out our best formation and players.

Not ideal, I know. But this is kind of understandable given how many players have been injured and (as a result) how rarely we've had all of these players together and available at the same time.

Getting a team to function as best it can is a fairly inexact science, it's about finding chemistry, a formula. You can only really work out the best chemistry through trial & error and we're essentially seeing that played out in front of us atm.

First 45 mins / hour last night wasn't working, but things clicked in the last 20-30 minutes. We'd have won by 2 or 3 if we'd had an extra 30 minutes last night (or had that team on the pitch from the start or from 15 minutes into the game).

I don't agree. He may have tried something different because of what he expected from the opposition but there is plenty of evidence from all we have seen so far that Jackson and Norwood is a combination that works.

I think he wanted to give Jackson a rest. Maybe he felt he would be more effective from the bench and, ultimately, perhaps he was.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:51 - Aug 21 with 1515 viewsSuperfrans

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:43 - Aug 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I don't agree. He may have tried something different because of what he expected from the opposition but there is plenty of evidence from all we have seen so far that Jackson and Norwood is a combination that works.

I think he wanted to give Jackson a rest. Maybe he felt he would be more effective from the bench and, ultimately, perhaps he was.

Yes, he did want to give Jackson a rest - but he is still trying to find the right forumla.

I also think he gambled that AFCW are so poor that even a team with 5 21s and under players would still walk it. Obviously not the case.

Oddly, our worst player (for my money) was Donacien. Where is Jordan Spence when you need him? ;-)

Login to get fewer ads

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:52 - Aug 21 with 1511 viewsitfc_bucks

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:51 - Aug 21 by Superfrans

Yes, he did want to give Jackson a rest - but he is still trying to find the right forumla.

I also think he gambled that AFCW are so poor that even a team with 5 21s and under players would still walk it. Obviously not the case.

Oddly, our worst player (for my money) was Donacien. Where is Jordan Spence when you need him? ;-)

A long way from us, which is just where I like him!
Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:54 - Aug 21 with 1503 viewsSuperfrans

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:52 - Aug 21 by itfc_bucks

A long way from us, which is just where I like him!

I'm not suggest Spence is the answer, but he wuold have been a better option than Donacien last night.

AFC on 11:57 - Aug 21 with 1501 viewsunstableblue

I don't think Wimbledon are being given enough credit.

They put a lot of energy, pressing, closing and no little passing quality into that first half. They managed to stop the triangle passing between the deep two midfielders and the front three. And Donacien who was getting space could not provide the pace and forward distribution needed. The young Col U purchase is going to make a big impact as will the Spurs loanee
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:57]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Main cause of last night poor start? on 11:57 - Aug 21 with 1498 viewsbefxblue

We didn't boo early enough
AFC on 11:59 - Aug 21 with 1487 viewsSuperfrans

AFC on 11:57 - Aug 21 by unstableblue

I don't think Wimbledon are being given enough credit.

They put a lot of energy, pressing, closing and no little passing quality into that first half. They managed to stop the triangle passing between the deep two midfielders and the front three. And Donacien who was getting space could not provide the pace and forward distribution needed. The young Col U purchase is going to make a big impact as will the Spurs loanee
[Post edited 21 Aug 2019 11:57]

They were really poor, in all areas of the pitch. I'm all for giving oppositions credit for stopping us playing, but I do think last night was the opposite - we were so at sea for 45-60 minutes that we really didn't test them at all.

I travelled up and back with AFCW fans and their ambition is to stay up this season. they almost got relegated last season, saved themselves on the last day - and have cut their wage bill by 25% this season.

Main cause of last night poor start? on 12:21 - Aug 21 with 1443 viewslmfcblue

Start of the game set the tempo really, slow passing around the back not going anywhere was boring to watch and boring to play in ( i should imagine).
The 3 central midfield played in a line so was too much of a gap to Norwood who was totally isolated.
It needed someone in the hole who would be hard to pick up but it didn't happen apart from 1 pass from Dozzell. We have the players to lay that formation but PL got the personell and tactics completely wrong.
Hopefully he'll stumble across the right formula for us to perform on how we should be. He's got a big squad now and will have a selection headache and clearly doent know his best team as yet.
Last season we looked really good when playing the diamond so i dont understand why he doesnt go with it.
Main cause of last night poor start? on 13:17 - Aug 21 with 1389 viewsDevereuxxx

I think Lambert likes 3 in the middle, largely due to the nature of our squad.

If we play 442, then Skuse and Downes are currently easily our midfield CM duo. That then leaves (when all fit) Nolan, Huws, Bishop, Dozzell & El Miz without a starting birth. Judge could be shifted to the wing, but has consistently proven he doesn't have the ability to stick to that position. Also, we're still pretty light on the wings. Edwards, Rowe, Garbutt and Georgiou is our full arsenal at the moment, with 1 injured and 1 returning from injury.

Clearly, we'll be playing 442 in the upcoming games on the basis of last nights performance, but that does leave a selection headache in the middle.
Main cause of last night poor start? on 13:30 - Aug 21 with 1360 viewsBloomBlue

Its early in the season, every season you get strange performances at the start of the season. It was the same when Sir Alf, Sir Bob and Burley were managers here and it impacts all teams Pep said it himself the other day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024