Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're pretty crap 22:35 - Aug 20 with 3392 viewsHerbivore

9 months in and I still don't see a defined system or way of playing under Lambert. We pinched a narrow home win on the back of moments of quality from individuals. League 1 looks sh!te and we ought to have too much for it but I worry about us turning that superior quality into enough points over a 46 game season. Hope things turn out well but that was troubling for most of the game tonight.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're pretty crap on 22:41 - Aug 20 with 3323 viewspowinswitch

I suspect we will disagree shortly, we generally do. That was poor. For me, until you select either Downes or Skuse, you will struggle to break down teams who come here and park the bus. I would go with Downes, on most days, but recognise that Skusey will be an asset on those occasions when you want to restFlynn, or when we are on difficult away days like Sunderland, Pompey etc.

We have to pick a midfield who are able to move the ball at speed, in order to stretch a team who come as organised as most will. We have struggled with this for a number of years now.
We're pretty crap on 22:41 - Aug 20 with 3320 viewspointofblue

I'd argue that we were a mess until we reverted to 4-4-2 which begs the question why we abandoned it in the first place. However what interested me is there seemed to be a pattern and shape using the flanks and getting the ball in - something which was lacking from even the Sunderland game which seemed more piecemeal in approach even if it was our strongest performance of the season so far.

We may see a benefit from a more attack minded right back to help out our attacking play if that is our way forward.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're pretty crap on 22:41 - Aug 20 with 3318 viewsVaughan8

Think we all feel a bit like this but we are only 4 games in. Definitely need to be better at the back!

I think 4-4-2 Is our formation (atm anyway). Not sure why we changed personnel and system. It was too much!
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:42]
We're pretty crap on 22:46 - Aug 20 with 3248 viewsSWGF

Given we've been trying to play 433/451 for almost one year under PL and had a pre-season to hone the system, we are still absolutely bloody abysmal at playing it. Doesn't matter what personnel are in the team, the failings are glaringly obvious and replicated each time we try it.
Doesn't say too much for the coaching capabilities or our players' ability to take on instruction.
If getting promoted is as simple as sticking two up front and slinging crosses in, then maybe we'll be OK if the last 10mins of the last two matches are a guide.

Quite why none of our midfield had the courage/conviction to do something as simple as break forward, let alone past Norwood in the first half.
Dozzell must be very quickly running out of chances, given the central midfielders that will soon be fit.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

We're pretty crap on 22:47 - Aug 20 with 3219 viewsWestcountryblue

I think a lot of people forget that this is a squad used to getting hammered week in week out. Wins and goals will build the confidence, both in individuals and the squad. With that hopefully we will get that winning mentality back. It takes time to develop though.

For my mind, we were excellent after 60 minutes and with 3 good additions, I think we now possess an outstanding squad that can really do some damage at this level.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:53]
We're pretty crap on 22:51 - Aug 20 with 3156 viewsreusersfreekicks

I think 4-3-3 with Bishop and Nolan either side of Downes/Skuse looked pretty good at times last season
We're pretty crap on 22:51 - Aug 20 with 3152 viewspennblue

I would agree, i just hope we can win a few games and the confidence and playing style can evolve

Personnel has a lot to do with it Andi am sure far but will be 1st choice lb and Vincent right back.

Once those two get going we should start to cause teams a lot more problems because right now we really don’t look like we know how to attack teams and hurt them

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

We're pretty crap on 22:51 - Aug 20 with 3149 viewsHerbivore

We're pretty crap on 22:47 - Aug 20 by Westcountryblue

I think a lot of people forget that this is a squad used to getting hammered week in week out. Wins and goals will build the confidence, both in individuals and the squad. With that hopefully we will get that winning mentality back. It takes time to develop though.

For my mind, we were excellent after 60 minutes and with 3 good additions, I think we now possess an outstanding squad that can really do some damage at this level.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:53]

I hope you're right. I'm just unconvinced that confidence alone explains why we looked like a team of total strangers for the best part of an hour tonight.

Login to get fewer ads

We're pretty crap on 22:57 - Aug 20 with 3067 viewsWestcountryblue

We're pretty crap on 22:51 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

I hope you're right. I'm just unconvinced that confidence alone explains why we looked like a team of total strangers for the best part of an hour tonight.

I think it was a combination of a lack of belief and the change in formation.

Don’t think Lambert got it right playing both Mizouni and Dozzell in midfield, but when Georgiou started driving at Wimbledon’s defence it seemed to give the rest of the team a real lift.
We're pretty crap on 23:05 - Aug 20 with 3026 viewspointofblue

We're pretty crap on 22:51 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

I think the total strangers element was because Lambert changed the formation - Dozzell didn't do enough to be the creator in midfield and at times the three central midfielders got in one another's way, the wingers lacked support from the full backs and Norwood was left abandoned up front. If El Mizouni was going to be given a chance it had to be in a 4-4-2; I hope that hasn't put his development back.

We only clicked into gear once we reverted to 4-4-2.

We're pretty crap on 23:15 - Aug 20 with 2964 viewsHerbivore

We're pretty crap on 22:57 - Aug 20 by Westcountryblue

I think it was a combination of a lack of belief and the change in formation.

Don’t think Lambert got it right playing both Mizouni and Dozzell in midfield, but when Georgiou started driving at Wimbledon’s defence it seemed to give the rest of the team a real lift.

He changes formation a lot. We look disjointed a lot.

We're pretty crap on 23:16 - Aug 20 with 2950 viewspointofblue

We're pretty crap on 23:15 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

He changes formation a lot. We look disjointed a lot.

There's a pattern this season - 4-4-2 at weekends, 4-3-3 for midweek games. He reverted at Luton and he switched tonight.

We're pretty crap on 23:19 - Aug 20 with 2939 viewsSomethingBlue

It wasn't good for the most part but I just find it impossible to judge this team til most of our best players are fit. It's still coming. We've hashed our way into a good position as things stand but I want to see how we look when Judge & Edwards (among others, like Garbutt) are ready and KVY settled in. It's all mix and match so far but I do get why. Obviously it will soon be incumbent on Lambert to select the best team from a wide-ranging and pretty difficult set of options, but it's not a judgement to make just yet.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

We're pretty crap on 08:03 - Aug 21 with 2718 viewsHerbivore

We're pretty crap on 23:19 - Aug 20 by SomethingBlue

It wasn't good for the most part but I just find it impossible to judge this team til most of our best players are fit. It's still coming. We've hashed our way into a good position as things stand but I want to see how we look when Judge & Edwards (among others, like Garbutt) are ready and KVY settled in. It's all mix and match so far but I do get why. Obviously it will soon be incumbent on Lambert to select the best team from a wide-ranging and pretty difficult set of options, but it's not a judgement to make just yet.

But the personnel we have available, whilst missing a few at their best, can still play pretty much any system. My gripe is that after 9 months here and having utilised 5 or 6 different systems I feel no closer to knowing how Lambert wants us to play. There is and never really had Ben much pattern to it and our shape is often wrong. Last night in the first half we simultaneously managed to offer almost no width, win very few second balls, and get nobody anywhere near Norwood. It was rank bad. We don't really look a passing side particularly either, we're playing quite direct. It all looks confused to me and I can't help but think that, personnel not withstanding, that's down to us still not having a clearly defined system and way of playing.

We're pretty crap on 08:29 - Aug 21 with 2611 viewshaynes_toe1

I thought it was a horrible game but worth noting that of course, it's the result that matters. Performance wise, awful, awful quality of football with no real patterns of play or nice passing moves.

My personal opinion? I maintain our squad is top two. This league, particularly this year, is so lacking in quality that I personally believe we'll get promoted. But it'll be in spite of Lambert rather than because of him. 9 months in like you say and I don't really see any significant progress on the pitch. Imagine if we played like we did last night in the championship? We'd be destroyed.
We're pretty crap on 08:29 - Aug 21 with 2608 viewsBloomBlue

We're pretty crap on 08:03 - Aug 21 by Herbivore

But the personnel we have available, whilst missing a few at their best, can still play pretty much any system. My gripe is that after 9 months here and having utilised 5 or 6 different systems I feel no closer to knowing how Lambert wants us to play. There is and never really had Ben much pattern to it and our shape is often wrong. Last night in the first half we simultaneously managed to offer almost no width, win very few second balls, and get nobody anywhere near Norwood. It was rank bad. We don't really look a passing side particularly either, we're playing quite direct. It all looks confused to me and I can't help but think that, personnel not withstanding, that's down to us still not having a clearly defined system and way of playing.

But i think a lot of this is confidence related. You cannot just turn confidence on and off it will take time to build, these players are humans not a computer game.

Yes he needs to decide what is his prefer formation although based on the last 9 months he prefers to vary it. To continue building the confidence 4-4-2 appears to be the best option at the moment.

But what I liked about last night is they didn't give up, last season they would have, I see that as a sign the confidence is gradually coming back.
We're pretty crap on 08:31 - Aug 21 with 2596 viewsMrTown

We are League 1 team, who spends no money, pleasantly shocked and surprised when we sign a RB for 500k from. One of biggest acquisitions in the past half a decade is a 1.6m striker from Accrington.

This is where we are, Lambert is using the cards he has been dealt.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

We're pretty crap on 08:35 - Aug 21 with 2575 viewsChurchman

We are in unchartered territory. The team were utterly uncompetitive last year and the club a shambles. Any real improvement will take time. At the moment just winning a few games is crucial and will build confidence and a little more belief.

I think with a bit of patience things will settle down and a more consistent pattern of play emerge. It seems we have the players to be competitive and as others say, it’s a rubbish league. The beginning and end of seasons are all about results. It was always that way and the fact is that we have made a decent start.
We're pretty crap on 09:19 - Aug 21 with 2497 viewsHerbivore

We're pretty crap on 08:31 - Aug 21 by MrTown

We are League 1 team, who spends no money, pleasantly shocked and surprised when we sign a RB for 500k from. One of biggest acquisitions in the past half a decade is a 1.6m striker from Accrington.

This is where we are, Lambert is using the cards he has been dealt.

Are you trying to make out that we aren't one of the best and most significantly resourced sides in this league? If you are that viewpoint doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

And regardless of personnel I would expect a good coach and manager to have them playing in a fairly defined way after 9 months in the job. That's a worry for me, I don't think Lambert knows his best system or how he wants us to play, let alone knowing his best XI.

We're pretty crap on 09:22 - Aug 21 with 2466 viewsblueysbackside

pretty much agree with all of this, H. But I also think we have a GREAT chance of promotion simply because, from what I've seen so far, League 1 is a massive step BELOW the Champ. If we were in the Championship with this team, however, we'd have been battered in the first four games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024