Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight 22:22 - Aug 20 with 3816 viewsJ2BLUE

I'm not talking about the lack of vocal support from the SBR lower although I did find it interesting that it suddenly occurred to me around the hour mark that I didn't remember them singing at all.

I'm talking about the impatience of fans all around the ground when the defence dared pass it between themselves more than twice. I realise it's frustrating not going forward, especially at 0-1 but all this did was make the player with the ball panic and lump it forward. This was especially noticeable with Kenlock and Donacien who seemed to get about half a second on the ball before the fans laid into them. I realise not everyone does it but enough do for it to be a noticeable trend. What does it achieve other than a return to aimless long balls which people dislike?

We have some young players, some new players and have started the season well. I can't see why people are so quick to get on the players' backs. Is it because it was Wimbledon and people expected us to just walk over them?

Just an observation. I'm far from a super fan but I just don't see the logic in what was happening.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:25 - Aug 20 with 2993 viewsSitfcB

Been like that years unfortunately.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:26 - Aug 20 with 2965 viewsJ2BLUE

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:25 - Aug 20 by SitfcB

I remember it happening when I last had my ST but not that early and that often. At 0-0 in the first half and people are getting on their backs? Ridiculous.

Truly impaired.

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:27 - Aug 20 with 2915 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, been an issue for ages.

The role of a fan is to get behind the team, not sit there & think they’re Jurgen Klopp.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:28]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:29 - Aug 20 with 2890 viewstomo

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:25 - Aug 20 by SitfcB

Players pass around the back line

‘FFS get it up there!’

Player goes long

‘Hoof every f*cking time’

Repeat
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:30 - Aug 20 with 2859 viewsSarge

100% agree.

Donacien had an awful game but he knows that. He also knows his place is about to be taken, jeering him isn’t going to make him play better. Felt sorry for him.
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:30 - Aug 20 with 2829 views3_5_2

Numbskulls eh?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:33 - Aug 20 with 2729 viewstextbackup

Mick Mills commented it was an amazing atmosphere..... I really didn't think it was at all

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:34 - Aug 20 with 2702 viewsVaughan8

There was no shots in the whole game at 25 minutes.......

I think people can accept us not thrashing everyone but Wimbledon at home should not have been as difficult as we made it.

If we had lost today it would have been meltdown on here.
Login to get fewer ads

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:34 - Aug 20 with 2698 viewsKieran_Knows

To busy singing about stewards.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:39 - Aug 20 with 2628 viewsArnieM

“ Town fans collectively poor tonight”......,, hmmm wonder if that might be due to utter dross served up for 60 mins tonight . They may as well have played with an Effin balloon tonight - it spent that much doffing time in the air , with aimless looping headers , punts of the ball up the park.

Second half substitutions made s massive difference . Why the hell have our best players sat on the bench for an hour ?

Poor tactics , wrong formation and wrong players . Dozzell’s days are numbered IMO.Totally Anonymous yet again. I honestly couldn’t give a flying one if he decides to leave .

Lambert ffs keep the team formation 4-4-2 : it WORKS!!!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:40 - Aug 20 with 2588 viewsJ2BLUE

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:39 - Aug 20 by ArnieM

“ Town fans collectively poor tonight”......,, hmmm wonder if that might be due to utter dross served up for 60 mins tonight . They may as well have played with an Effin balloon tonight - it spent that much doffing time in the air , with aimless looping headers , punts of the ball up the park.

Second half substitutions made s massive difference . Why the hell have our best players sat on the bench for an hour ?

Poor tactics , wrong formation and wrong players . Dozzell’s days are numbered IMO.Totally Anonymous yet again. I honestly couldn’t give a flying one if he decides to leave .

Think you've missed the point but ok.

Truly impaired.

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:40 - Aug 20 with 2587 viewsreusersfreekicks

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:39 - Aug 20 by ArnieM

You haven't read the thread in full have you.
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:44 - Aug 20 with 2513 viewsrkc123

I've found for a number of years that there is an odd general feeling of an us (the fans), and them (the team), rather than a collective feeling of our club, which leaves this strange atmosphere of a large portion of the crowd seeming to just wait to see if the team is worthy of their support on any given day. It seems unusual to me that this sort of atmosphere has become prevalent with a team like ours as you would expect it to be more common with big clubs where their fan base are drawn in from far and wide due to their success, and therefore continued success is expected to keep receiving their support.

As you said it's particularly detrimental with young players, the crowd can have a huge impact on their performance, and this instant reaction to any small mistakes just creates a fear of screwing up for a lot of them, resulting in bad decisions, and then the crowd pile on again.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:45]
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:47 - Aug 20 with 2448 viewsblaggers

Fair comment, but by the manager's own admission we played and overplayed in that first half and one bit of brilliance from Dozzell aside, we offered nothing in attacking positions. It doesn't help that our FBs are not the best ball players and so we looked devoid of ideas, much like most of last season. I thought Kenlock started to link well with Georgiou when he came on, but Donacien is not a RB, and I guess PL feels he's at least better than Emmanuel.

One thing I did notice tonight was when we'd started the second half, huffing and puffing without going anywhere, the S6 lot were doing their best to keep the fans singing at that end of the ground - previously we'd have been drowned out by the jeering.

Poll: What happens next?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:56 - Aug 20 with 2348 viewspointofblue

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:33 - Aug 20 by textbackup

Mick Mills commented it was an amazing atmosphere..... I really didn't think it was at all

I'd say it improved immeasurably when the team improved immeasurably after the introduction of Jackson. Though to be fair the fans tried to give the team some support from kick off in the second half. But generally it was up to the players to lift the crowd rather than the other way round.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

TOTALLY AGREE on 22:57 - Aug 20 with 2344 viewsunstableblue

me and my mates - some lapsed blues - tried to start loads of songs from the back row of the North and the response was frankly poor

Which was disappointing

But the team need to fire up the fans... they seemed to struggle with the bite the wombles brought

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:07 - Aug 20 with 2271 viewsSteve_M

Yes, agreed. The lack of patience is really frustrating, need to give players a bit more time especially the younger ones. We' won five home games in 20 months before tonight, that takes time to get over.

Great support after the equaliser, and it built through second half, but a bit more needed off pitch too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

TOTALLY AGREE on 23:08 - Aug 20 with 2265 viewsSarge

TOTALLY AGREE on 22:57 - Aug 20 by unstableblue

me and my mates - some lapsed blues - tried to start loads of songs from the back row of the North and the response was frankly poor

Which was disappointing

But the team need to fire up the fans... they seemed to struggle with the bite the wombles brought

I’m not sure the wombles brought any bite, was more like being gummed by an old person. Fortunately in the last 15 mins we managed to kick their cane away and sweep them aside.
TOTALLY AGREE on 23:09 - Aug 20 with 2235 viewsjeera

TOTALLY AGREE on 23:08 - Aug 20 by Sarge

I’m not sure the wombles brought any bite, was more like being gummed by an old person. Fortunately in the last 15 mins we managed to kick their cane away and sweep them aside.

"...being gummed by an old person. "

Made me laugh.

Though I bow to your clear experience on this.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:11 - Aug 20 with 2204 viewsSomethingBlue

There was a lot of that in the first half but I actually thought — and have posted elsewhere — that the support was excellent as the game went on.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:12 - Aug 20 with 2188 viewsjasondozzell

Well put. There were some angry figures at posh too screaming abuse. Can understand moans and irritation when it's not going well, but never the idiots who slag their own players off. That's not support.
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:14 - Aug 20 with 2163 viewsJ2BLUE

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:11 - Aug 20 by SomethingBlue

There was a lot of that in the first half but I actually thought — and have posted elsewhere — that the support was excellent as the game went on.

Once we got the equaliser, it was like being in a different stadium.

Truly impaired.

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:14 - Aug 20 with 2156 viewsBlue_Moses

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 22:27 - Aug 20 by Reuser_is_God

Yeah, been an issue for ages.

The role of a fan is to get behind the team, not sit there & think they’re Jurgen Klopp.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 22:28]

And to let the players/manager know when the performance isn't good enough.
This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:18 - Aug 20 with 2123 viewsDublinBlue84

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:12 - Aug 20 by jasondozzell

Well put. There were some angry figures at posh too screaming abuse. Can understand moans and irritation when it's not going well, but never the idiots who slag their own players off. That's not support.

Second half for the first 20-30 minutes support was appalling for a lot of it from the North constant moans and arguing and chants about the scum and about standing and little else it was pretty irritating, wish they put that much effort into supporting the team.

When we're losing far better to drop the scum chants and support the boys when they need it rather than the moaning, seemed many were more interested in arguing and focusing on the scum on the stewards but barely could muster a chant of support.

Better after the equaliser mind.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 23:21]

Poll: What result on Tuesday is best for the club?

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:20 - Aug 20 with 2091 viewspointofblue

This won't be popular - the fans (collectively) were poor tonight on 23:18 - Aug 20 by DublinBlue84

Second half for the first 20-30 minutes support was appalling for a lot of it from the North constant moans and arguing and chants about the scum and about standing and little else it was pretty irritating, wish they put that much effort into supporting the team.

When we're losing far better to drop the scum chants and support the boys when they need it rather than the moaning, seemed many were more interested in arguing and focusing on the scum on the stewards but barely could muster a chant of support.

Better after the equaliser mind.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 23:21]

I thought the chanting from the SBR was pretty dismal, particularly in the second half - more focused on Norwich and whether people can stand up or not rather than getting behind the team.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 23:36]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024