Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No excuses - has to be top 2 14:38 - Aug 20 with 4536 viewsHerbivore

Those last few pieces of the jigsaw are now in place. It'll be tough but if we miss out on promotion this season it will be a failure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:41 - Aug 20 with 3801 viewsdavblue

Not so sure it's a failure. I know you will come back at me on budget, but there's more to it than that.

The club was a complete mess, this is a longer term rebuild and was never going to be resolved in 2 windows. There's still gaps for me that will need to be filled.
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:44 - Aug 20 with 3761 viewsreusersfreekicks

We do need to see results now. The squad is large with a fair bit of talent so coaching needs to be good enough
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:55 - Aug 20 with 3720 viewsHerbivore

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:41 - Aug 20 by davblue

Not so sure it's a failure. I know you will come back at me on budget, but there's more to it than that.

The club was a complete mess, this is a longer term rebuild and was never going to be resolved in 2 windows. There's still gaps for me that will need to be filled.

Disagree with almost all of that. We've kept the core of a squad that was already good for this level and have added to it in the areas that needed strengthening. Promotion has to be the aim and to miss out with the squad we have would be a failure.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:59 - Aug 20 with 3709 viewsJakeITFC

Only really injuries that can stop us - that being said, we have filled the squad with injury prone players so that could also be considered a failure.
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:01 - Aug 20 with 3696 viewsclive_baker

Agreed, we’ve got a very strong squad at this level. The irony is I think it’s actually stronger than it was this time last year and we’re a league lower. We need the more senior players to really step up to the plate now; Judge, Chambers, Nsiala, Skuse, Huws, Norwood, Keane. Set an example to the talented young players we have coming through. Anything less than top 2 would be hugely disappointing.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:04 - Aug 20 with 3675 viewsPJH

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:55 - Aug 20 by Herbivore

Disagree with almost all of that. We've kept the core of a squad that was already good for this level and have added to it in the areas that needed strengthening. Promotion has to be the aim and to miss out with the squad we have would be a failure.

I think that you are right.

Short of a run of injuries large even by our recent standards then what we have got here should be good enough to get us up.

If we are still a League One side next August then either something has gone very wrong or we have had an even bigger than normal run of injuries.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:06 - Aug 20 with 3654 viewsJakeITFC

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:07 - Aug 20 with 3634 viewsJ2BLUE

I think 'has to be promotion' is fairer. Ideally it will be top 2 but I think we would all take winning the play offs.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:10 - Aug 20 with 3604 viewsclive_baker

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:07 - Aug 20 by J2BLUE

I think 'has to be promotion' is fairer. Ideally it will be top 2 but I think we would all take winning the play offs.

Ultimately it’s about the outcome rather than the league finish, I’m sure most would take 6th and promotion. The issue is the playoffs is such a lottery, and we should have the strength in our squad to secure top 2. I would expect us to get stronger as the season goes on too, but games like tonight are where we need to put a marker down.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:10 - Aug 20 with 3602 viewsbilllm

100% with you on this,top two with this squad,
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:15 - Aug 20 with 3563 viewstextbackup

After having time to reflect on Saturday and how pissed I was at what a watched, I’ve now calmed, and realised we were a team beaten weekly last season, we are now 3 unbeaten... small steps

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:16 - Aug 20 with 3559 viewsSuperfrans

If we can get these players back and keep Keane on the pitch too, I'd be stupidly confident... But we just know that's not going to happen...

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town-injury-list-1-6173945

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:17 - Aug 20 with 3547 viewsNthsuffolkblue

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:10 - Aug 20 by clive_baker

Ultimately it’s about the outcome rather than the league finish, I’m sure most would take 6th and promotion. The issue is the playoffs is such a lottery, and we should have the strength in our squad to secure top 2. I would expect us to get stronger as the season goes on too, but games like tonight are where we need to put a marker down.

The key to success will be winning most of the matches like tonight's. If we end up unable to grind too many of them down or give away silly equalisers too often we will not get the points we need.

We need to get around 2 points per game and will only do so by winning most of the games where our squad is clearly better than the opponents'. Opposition will recognise this and play to neutralise our threat. But this is always what teams at the top of any league need to deal with.

A good winning run would go a long way now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:19 - Aug 20 with 3526 viewsMullet

Yep and Keane is just the player we need too. Classy, talented and with years to put right. I remember hearing Pearce talk about the reason he went on so long was that he felt playing non-league was a waste and he was owed his career, even after breaking his shin and stuff.

If Keane has half that sort of determination and can provide Teddy et al with inspiration it could have a multi-faceted benefit.

Plus it means the hoofball has to stop, we had three strikers who like to collect the ball either with their back to goal or in space. Just lumping it forwards in this league will negate them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:20 - Aug 20 with 3518 viewsNazemariner

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 14:41 - Aug 20 by davblue

The club was not, and never has been, a mess. We are a well run club, it's just the team team that went a bit sh1tty.

Nothing less than top 6 is acceptable with the squad we have now.
[Post edited 20 Aug 2019 15:22]
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:23 - Aug 20 with 3484 viewsWickets

I think we have heard that is the target but one game at a time i think . As some have said fitness could be the key now that ME seems to be backing his manager ,as he did last year to be fair .
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:25 - Aug 20 with 3468 viewsMullet

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:20 - Aug 20 by Nazemariner

The club was not, and never has been, a mess. We are a well run club, it's just the team team that went a bit sh1tty.

That simply isn't true. After Mick went the place went to sh1t. Hurst and Doig are utter scumbags. Evans must never let it happen again.

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:26 - Aug 20 with 3460 viewsSuperfrans

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:25 - Aug 20 by Mullet

That simply isn't true. After Mick went the place went to sh1t. Hurst and Doig are utter scumbags. Evans must never let it happen again.

But you're talking about the playing staff? As was the post you are responding to. No?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:32 - Aug 20 with 3418 viewsNazemariner

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:25 - Aug 20 by Mullet

Not having that.

How can you refer to two people ,whom you don't know, as scumbags?

We are a club that operates within its means, with a productive youth set up. many clubs would love to be in our position...off the pitch anyhow.
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:06 - Aug 20 with 3343 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep. I am still incredibly nervous about the next nine months but we could hardly ask to be better set than this.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:09 - Aug 20 with 3325 viewswiffin1

Sunderland said the same last season and finished 5th
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:12 - Aug 20 with 3296 viewsdavblue

Take the blue tinted glasses off.

We won 4 or 5 games last season, a squad full of loans players, 3 different managers 6 months.

We were a mess.
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:21 - Aug 20 with 3224 viewsdavblue

Cool.

We will see, I think you have overrated some of our players, Peterborough looked much more threatening than us going forward.

Theres still question Mark's over some of our players and you are assuming every single new signing will be a hit which rarely happens.

We have a young group of players in the main, and the expectation on them for a top 2 finish, I fear will be too much if supporters peddle that line.

The performances I've seen so far have looked anything but top 2 but it's still early days in terms of confidence.

I hope you are right, but I would be surprised.
No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:25 - Aug 20 with 3188 viewsMullet

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 15:26 - Aug 20 by Superfrans

But you're talking about the playing staff? As was the post you are responding to. No?

Who bullied them, recruited and sold them etc? What happened here last season was criminal.

No excuses - has to be top 2 on 16:29 - Aug 20 with 3161 viewsRegencyBlue

Complete and utter rubbish!

On and off the pitch this club has been badly run by a clueless owner who thought he saw an opportunity to make a fast buck, when he first bought us, and who, when that plan blew up in his face, hasnt had a clue what to do since!

Lambert is doing his best to get us back on an even keel but twelve years of damage isnt going to be rectified overnight. Promotion back to the Championship this season is certainly the best outcome because if we do not achieve it I fear we could be in this League for some time. No guarantees though, however strong we think the squad is, as Sunderland found to their cost last season.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024