Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich 11:17 - Aug 19 with 5105 viewsitfcjoe

Will Ed Sheeran's 4 night run at chantry park be a new record for the town? Or have we had bigger gigs in the past that I'm not aware of.

Think there will be 45k there each night, all paying the best part of £100 a ticket - it's mad numbers, the ticket revenue alone will be about £16-17m, a massive boost for the town's economy with regards to hotels, transport, food, etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:19 - Aug 19 with 5086 viewsBlueBadger

It'll have nothing on any of Asa's gigs.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:26 - Aug 19 with 5055 viewsSteve_M

Yes. The early 90s concerts were pretty big - Status Quo and Rod Stewart weren't exactly heritage acts then - but that was one night each and I'm sure the attendance would have been fewer than 45k.

Who else played at PR in the early 90s? There were a couple of others I'm sure.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:29 - Aug 19 with 5033 viewsSomethingBlue

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:26 - Aug 19 by Steve_M

Yes. The early 90s concerts were pretty big - Status Quo and Rod Stewart weren't exactly heritage acts then - but that was one night each and I'm sure the attendance would have been fewer than 45k.

Who else played at PR in the early 90s? There were a couple of others I'm sure.

Didn't they have Tina Turner once, or am I going mad? Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2006 was probably the biggest "modern" one.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:30 - Aug 19 with 5016 viewsSpruceMoose

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:29 - Aug 19 by SomethingBlue

Didn't they have Tina Turner once, or am I going mad? Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2006 was probably the biggest "modern" one.

I remember REM playing Portman Road the day after the London Tube attacks.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:33 - Aug 19 with 4995 viewsbrazil1982

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:29 - Aug 19 by SomethingBlue

Indeed, Ms Turner did perform - my first ever concert.

Dire Straits also performed in the 90s
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:38 - Aug 19 with 4971 viewschicoazul

Surely Billy Graham's were the biggest!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:40 - Aug 19 with 4957 viewsEdmundo

It'll be a snapshot of what could happen to the town if Town can get back into the Prem: we could easily have weekends like this every summer in Ipswich too. The council really need to start thinking about take advantage of the local stars like Ed Sheeran to get the town on its feet again: well done to them for negotiating this one. I'll be there Saturday evening with 45k others...

Poll: Will our competitors in the Championship "find us out" in 2nd half of season
Blog: Blue Sky Thinking

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:42 - Aug 19 with 4951 viewsPJH

Most important/influential musician ever to appear in Ipswich (not at PR) has to be Chuck Berry 25 years ago.

Of course Ray Davies has also played Ipswich several times both in The Kinks and solo.

None of which was on anything like the scale of what is apparently happening at the weekend but musically way way ahead.
Login to get fewer ads

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:44 - Aug 19 with 4934 viewsitfcjoe

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:42 - Aug 19 by PJH

Most important/influential musician ever to appear in Ipswich (not at PR) has to be Chuck Berry 25 years ago.

Of course Ray Davies has also played Ipswich several times both in The Kinks and solo.

None of which was on anything like the scale of what is apparently happening at the weekend but musically way way ahead.

What about the Beatles in the Gaumont in 63? Alongside Gerry and the Pacemakers and Roy Orbison - decent line up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:44 - Aug 19 with 4927 viewsGaryCooper

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:42 - Aug 19 by PJH

As were the Clash.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:47 - Aug 19 with 4911 viewsgainsboroughblue

Bryan Adams was the year before or after Tina Turner as well early 90's.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:47 - Aug 19 with 4909 viewsPJH

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:44 - Aug 19 by itfcjoe

What about the Beatles in the Gaumont in 63? Alongside Gerry and the Pacemakers and Roy Orbison - decent line up

Yes, wish I had seen that although I was only 12 at the time.

Chuck Berry was a huge influence on The Beatles along with loads of other groups so as a leader and probably THE leader of what music became he, in my opinion, is the most important musician ever to play Ipswich.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:53 - Aug 19 with 4879 viewsSteve_M

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:47 - Aug 19 by gainsboroughblue

Bryan Adams was the year before or after Tina Turner as well early 90's.

Wasn't he supporting one of the others? It can't have been until after 1991 at that interminable dirge topping the charts for months.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:56 - Aug 19 with 4866 viewsPJH

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:53 - Aug 19 by Steve_M

Wasn't he supporting one of the others? It can't have been until after 1991 at that interminable dirge topping the charts for months.

I didn't go but I am sure Bryan Adams was the headline act one year.

Only one that I have seen at PR was Neil Diamond who was superb.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:05 - Aug 19 with 4824 viewsEJP

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 11:47 - Aug 19 by PJH

Yes, wish I had seen that although I was only 12 at the time.

Chuck Berry was a huge influence on The Beatles along with loads of other groups so as a leader and probably THE leader of what music became he, in my opinion, is the most important musician ever to play Ipswich.

I see your Chuck Berry and raise you Buddy Holly at the Gaumont in ‘57....!
Friend of mine saw both the Buddy Holly and The Beatles appearances...
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:11 - Aug 19 with 4797 viewsPJH

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:05 - Aug 19 by EJP

Lucky friend.

I still reckon Chuck Berry more influential than Buddy Holly although we will never know what would have happened if Buddy Holly had not died so tragically young-although Don McLean would probably never have written American Pie.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:16 - Aug 19 with 4785 viewsgainsboroughblue

I have good memories of live music in Ipswich late 80s and early to mid 90s then things seemed to just kind of, well, stop. Suede cancelling the Regent as it was all-seater was a bit of a blow at the time.

Fields of Nephilim, Blur, House of Love, Wedding Present, Curve, Levellers, Carter USM, Dr Feelgood, Skunk Anansie, Elastica, Longpigs, Super Furry Animals, Mansun ,Wildhearts, 9 below zero, among others at the Corn Exchange.

Extreme Noise Terror and the Adicts at the Caribbean club. Cradle of Filth at the Safe Harbour.

Albion Mills wasn't a bad venue, even if the eyes would be stinging from the clouds of smoke.

And before all that, Gary Numan, OMD, Siouxsie and Hawkwind , Southern Death Cult at the Gaumont. I saw Five Star with a cousin too but not as proud of that.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 12:18]

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:21 - Aug 19 with 4752 viewsSE1blue

I remember Emma Bunton waving at me when performing at a Radio One Party in the Park late 90s.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:24 - Aug 19 with 4740 viewsBarcaBlue

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:16 - Aug 19 by gainsboroughblue

I have good memories of live music in Ipswich late 80s and early to mid 90s then things seemed to just kind of, well, stop. Suede cancelling the Regent as it was all-seater was a bit of a blow at the time.

Fields of Nephilim, Blur, House of Love, Wedding Present, Curve, Levellers, Carter USM, Dr Feelgood, Skunk Anansie, Elastica, Longpigs, Super Furry Animals, Mansun ,Wildhearts, 9 below zero, among others at the Corn Exchange.

Extreme Noise Terror and the Adicts at the Caribbean club. Cradle of Filth at the Safe Harbour.

Albion Mills wasn't a bad venue, even if the eyes would be stinging from the clouds of smoke.

And before all that, Gary Numan, OMD, Siouxsie and Hawkwind , Southern Death Cult at the Gaumont. I saw Five Star with a cousin too but not as proud of that.
[Post edited 19 Aug 2019 12:18]

It felt like 45000 people were smoking in the Albion Mills cellar (it was probably 45 at a push).
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:26 - Aug 19 with 4721 viewsgainsboroughblue

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:24 - Aug 19 by BarcaBlue

It felt like 45000 people were smoking in the Albion Mills cellar (it was probably 45 at a push).

I was a smoker myself then and I would be whinging about it.

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:47 - Aug 19 with 4665 viewsIP12

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:05 - Aug 19 by EJP

How about the Rolling Stones being bottom of the bill and the opening act for Bo Diddley & The Everly Brothers (also at the Gaumont)...Those were the days, rushing to catch the last bus back to Woodbridge.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:56 - Aug 19 with 4628 viewsblueislander

Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 12:47 - Aug 19 by IP12

How about the Rolling Stones being bottom of the bill and the opening act for Bo Diddley & The Everly Brothers (also at the Gaumont)...Those were the days, rushing to catch the last bus back to Woodbridge.

I was at the Buddy Holly gig, and The Everley Brothers one. I have a poster of the Buddy Holly one. Des O’Connor was the compere.
Biggest ever concerts in Ipswich on 13:20 - Aug 19 with 4566 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I would imagine so. He is probably the biggest musician in the world right now, so I guees that speaks for itself.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024