Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match thoughts 21:51 - Aug 17 with 4635 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Dear dear ! Football is a funny old game. We felt robbed against Sunderland last week whereas today it's our opponents in Peterborough who are robbed as we never deserved a point.

This game has been a reality check for all those who claim our squad is good enough for the top 6. Only first 15 minutes were quite impressive from us. The second half in particular was very irritating however the lack of quality was very telling.
No wonder Lambert claims that he needs more players as we aren't strong enough in some areas.

All over them in the first 15 minutes. Quite a good spell rewarded by the Norwood's goal and that was followed by deflected Edwards' shot which was impressively tipped over the bar by Pym.

We allowed Peterborough to come back into the game instead of continuing our good spell. Very poor marking from Maddison's free-kick delivery led to their equaliser. An easy header.

Second half. Dear me ! To put it nicely it was unacceptable. Lack of quality and lack of ideas. Every time Peterborough was in our box would see a danger. The defence was bad and disorganised. Holy's incredible save from close-range in 50 min delayed inevitable and Eisa's goal followed soon.

Quick chance to come back into the game but Norwood's lame penalty was easily saved by Pym.

After that Peterborough were content to sit back and withstand our poor deliveries and pointless long balls. Given how some rave about the quality of our team I'd have expected our midfield and strikers to get into Peterborough's box as easily as they did into ours after the break. Ipswich Town looking poor and clueless in the 3rd tier, that's the new, sad reality nowadays.

Alan Judge came on to replace Edwards. What on earth is going on with him? Is he sulking over not having had a chance to speak to Queens Park? We were in trouble, we needed some spark and injection and you would have expected that from player of his ilk. However what we got from him was mostly pointless deliveries into the box easily dealt with by Peterborough's defence. He could have done much better had he looked for his teammates. Very, very disappointing.

We got an injury-time equaliser which we never deserved given our abject second half performance. Chambers has redeemed himself and his last week's sin and turned out to be a hero. What is really worth underlining is the fact that it came from El Mizouni's dead ball delivery.

A bit of overreaction from some of our fans as they celebrated a late equalizer in the 3rd Division as if we won a cup or something.
There was a strong argument and almost a fight where I stood during the second half between some angry fan and one from 'get behind the team' brigade.

The positives from today is that the unbeaten league run continues and Chambers saving the day. A couple of decisive interceptions from Skuse, a few nice passes from Downes. The problem for the latter was lack of support particularly from full-backs. Both Kenlock and Donacien barely offered any threat when going forward.

So far my pre-season concerns and worries are turning out to be right, sadly. The defence may become our undoing and this squad badly need a better quality. Lambert knows that hence his latest comments.
We should expect beating Wimbledon and Bolton kids but in my opinion it will paper over the cracks as we need a quality. Judge complete disappointment so far, Huws not able to get fit for almost 2 years, ridiclously overrated Dozzell can't get a league game, Jackson's solitary attribute is pace therefore we badly need a striker.

Now the hope is that Vincent-Young turns out to be an instant improvement on Donacien and we don't drop points in the next 'winnable' 2 games. Fantastic support today but in terms of football the day to forget.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 21:53]
Match thoughts on 22:00 - Aug 17 with 3889 viewsITFC_Forever

We still look all at sea defensively, and too disjointed too often going forwards.

Next three games are “should wins” though.

Thought Peterborough were the best side we’ve played in the league so far, and we are on course vs my prediction for August- Burton win and then two draws v Sunderland and Posh.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Match thoughts on 22:04 - Aug 17 with 3830 viewspointofblue

Match thoughts on 22:00 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

We still look all at sea defensively, and too disjointed too often going forwards.

Next three games are “should wins” though.

Thought Peterborough were the best side we’ve played in the league so far, and we are on course vs my prediction for August- Burton win and then two draws v Sunderland and Posh.

What did you predict for Wimbledon and Bolton?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Match thoughts on 22:07 - Aug 17 with 3812 viewsITFC_Forever

Match thoughts on 22:04 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

What did you predict for Wimbledon and Bolton?

Win v the Stadium Thieves, Bolton to go bust.

As it looks like Bolton will still be clinging on, then given the side they are likely to put out, we really should win.

Match thoughts on 22:07 - Aug 17 with 3801 viewshaynes_toe1

Struggled second half but this squad should comfortably top 6. If we arent Lambert is getting it massively wrong.
Match thoughts on 22:12 - Aug 17 with 3779 viewsBluefish

Who was your motm machy?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 22:14 - Aug 17 with 3765 viewstextbackup

Match thoughts on 22:12 - Aug 17 by Bluefish

Who was your motm machy?

I know you aren’t asking me, but mine was Wolf. He’s just really good.
I see Skuse was yours, he started slowly I thought, but had a solid 75mins after that

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Match thoughts on 22:15 - Aug 17 with 3763 viewspointofblue

Match thoughts on 22:07 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

Win v the Stadium Thieves, Bolton to go bust.

As it looks like Bolton will still be clinging on, then given the side they are likely to put out, we really should win.

I agree - though knowing our luck Bolton will have a takeover and start signing League One proven players just before they face us!

Match thoughts on 22:17 - Aug 17 with 3757 viewsITFC_Forever

Match thoughts on 22:15 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

I agree - though knowing our luck Bolton will have a takeover and start signing League One proven players just before they face us!

Even if they do, they’ll be a squad with no pre-season, a bunch of strangers and also no talent as they’ll be all the rejects no-one else wants.

We can all guess what happens next.

Login to get fewer ads

Match thoughts on 22:18 - Aug 17 with 3747 viewsWestcountryblue

Give the side time.

Judge and Huws aren't fully match yet.

Dozz is simmering away, his time will come.

The squad took a hell of a beating week in, week out last year. It takes time to regain self belief and the habit of winning.

Bishop, Nsiala, Nolan and Sears are big players at this level to have returning.
Match thoughts on 22:19 - Aug 17 with 3721 viewsFixed_It

Who was your motm machy?

I'm guessing he won't be agreeing with you.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Match thoughts on 22:24 - Aug 17 with 3690 viewspointofblue

Match thoughts on 22:17 - Aug 17 by ITFC_Forever

Even if they do, they’ll be a squad with no pre-season, a bunch of strangers and also no talent as they’ll be all the rejects no-one else wants.

We can all guess what happens next.

They win 1-0.

Match thoughts on 22:44 - Aug 17 with 3636 viewsEastTownBlue

You must have been near me with the argument taking place between the two Town supporters. Thankfully Mr Angry calmed down a bit after that although it was funny that he claimed he was supporting the team even though he had spent the afternoon shouting at one or two players calling them c***s.
Match thoughts on 22:51 - Aug 17 with 3581 viewsdavblue

We look very 1 dimensional going forward. That team will be nowhere near promotion.

Might be down to a hangover from last year still, but there's a few in that team who are nowhere near good enough, Kenlock, Jackson.
Match thoughts on 22:52 - Aug 17 with 3570 viewsmrshallisfit

Match thoughts on 22:18 - Aug 17 by Westcountryblue

Give the side time.

The squad took a hell of a beating week in, week out last year. It takes time to regain self belief and the habit of winning.

Bishop, Nsiala, Nolan and Sears are big players at this level to have returning.

Dozzell. His time will come. Ermmmmmm...
Match thoughts on 23:10 - Aug 17 with 3484 viewsWestcountryblue

Match thoughts on 22:52 - Aug 17 by mrshallisfit

Dozzell. His time will come. Ermmmmmm...

He's 20 years old...
Match thoughts on 06:26 - Aug 18 with 3282 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Who was your motm machy?

Downes closest to it.
Match thoughts on 06:42 - Aug 18 with 3259 viewsbefxblue

Match thoughts on 22:51 - Aug 17 by davblue

We look very 1 dimensional going forward. That team will be nowhere near promotion.

Might be down to a hangover from last year still, but there's a few in that team who are nowhere near good enough, Kenlock, Jackson.

I thought one dimensional too, I thought when Peterborough came into the game second half we should have been able to change our shape to 3/5/2 or 5/3/2 to counter their wingers tormenting Kenlock and mainly Donacien, but alas we seemed to have no ideas there.
Match thoughts on 06:59 - Aug 18 with 3207 viewsMach_foreignBlue

Match thoughts on 22:44 - Aug 17 by EastTownBlue

You must have been near me with the argument taking place between the two Town supporters. Thankfully Mr Angry calmed down a bit after that although it was funny that he claimed he was supporting the team even though he had spent the afternoon shouting at one or two players calling them c***s.

Yep, it was in the main stand in its upper parts.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2019 7:00]
Match thoughts on 06:59 - Aug 18 with 3206 viewsArnieM

Match thoughts on 06:26 - Aug 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

Downes closest to it.

Skuse was outstanding.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Match thoughts on 08:04 - Aug 18 with 3090 viewsBloomBlue

I don't know how anyone can judge a team after 3 games, a team builds into the season you only have to look at Norwich last season for a perfect example.
Match thoughts on 08:24 - Aug 18 with 3016 views3_5_2

Give the side time.

I wasn’t there as I’m on turkey on hols but listened to it on the radio

The long ball system is a mystery. What I liked about the Sunderland game was the first half of neat passing and one twos. I hope we stick to that rather than long ball.

The players you list are all good players but Bishop and Sears are miles away and Toto another month Nolan (who I think will do well for us) is perhaps a couple of weeks away.

Pleased with our new RB. Kenlock has been less than convincing so far and he needs to shape or he will be next.

We clearly need a big striker to give us options

Hopefully Norwood goal will get him on a run of scoring

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Match thoughts on 08:25 - Aug 18 with 3014 viewsSomethingBlue

Was it a reality check though? We've not played well but we've drawn away at one of the division's better sides. If anything it suggests to me that, once we get fitter and better, we're pretty likely to be OK.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Match thoughts on 08:33 - Aug 18 with 2975 viewsboysof1981

Give the side time.

Agree with Huws and Judge, but I think Dozzell will never make it. Been given enough chances and never takes them. Hope I’m wrong though with regards to Andre, tbh if a bid came in for him in January I’d like to see him sold.
Match thoughts on 08:57 - Aug 18 with 2869 viewsBluefish

Match thoughts on 06:26 - Aug 18 by Mach_foreignBlue

Downes closest to it.

Downes did ok but was miles off Skuse. I wonder what it would take for you to accept/admit how good Skuse was/is.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Match thoughts on 09:13 - Aug 18 with 2817 viewsChurchman

Match thoughts on 22:44 - Aug 17 by EastTownBlue

I don’t know why people like that go to football. By all means have a go on forums or in the pub etc, but at the game I have always preferred to follow and support the team.

As for the team, they were one of the worst to ever grace the Championship. I think there is bound to be a hangover from that. Some of the players appear decent, others poor (thanks Hurst) but may improve if they win a few games. Confidence makes all the difference. They are not a team yet. Lambert doesn’t convince me, but needs time not least because the club needs stability. With an owner who isn’t really interested and the club a shambles, I thought before the season mid table would be a major achievement and I still do. The only thing big about ITFC at this level is the support and our now distant past.

Given a bit of breathing space, a team may come together and hopefully we may start challenging. Time, patience and fingers crossed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024