Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What is Lambert trying to do? 16:55 - Aug 17 with 4805 viewsitfcjoe

I worry that we seem no closer to knowing what style of play he favours, what formation he favours and what we are trying to do.

It looks like we are just trying to get promoted by having better players rather than any structure to our game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:56 - Aug 17 with 3311 viewsgroovyASH

Lambert is not proving to be a very good manager is he?

Very debatable that we can "out-better-player" our way to promotion

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:58 - Aug 17 with 3259 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:56 - Aug 17 by groovyASH

Lambert is not proving to be a very good manager is he?

Very debatable that we can "out-better-player" our way to promotion

It's not debatable.

You can't, you need a system of some sort.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:58 - Aug 17 with 3254 viewshomer_123

My concern lies on the fact that footballing wise we are only marginally better than last season.

We still only play on patches and are still prone to collective and individual mistakes.

Lambert hasnt stamped his authority on this team.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:59 - Aug 17 with 3214 viewsActionMan

We need a striker to play alongside Norwood, a centre half to play alongside Chambers and another full back. He's having to make do with what he's got, he didn't sign Jackson for example and he doesn't look like he can score in any game he plays in! If we had a better striker we'd actually win games but it's the same problem, weak defence, poor up top and 5 more midfielders than we realistically need! Draws are good results for sides like ours.
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 with 3205 viewsgroovyASH

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:58 - Aug 17 by homer_123

My concern lies on the fact that footballing wise we are only marginally better than last season.

We still only play on patches and are still prone to collective and individual mistakes.

We are not consistent performers in a single game, let along across 3 or 4.

Poll: Will you renew your season ticket when Evans does the annual end of season beg?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 with 3204 viewsitfcjoe

I still couldn't tell you what he is looking to do with us as a team

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 with 3189 viewsWickets

Just the 3 games in 5 points and unbeaten in the league and most where saying it is a tough start.
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 with 3183 viewsbackwaywhen

He needs Culverhouse .... end off !
Login to get fewer ads

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:01 - Aug 17 with 3143 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:58 - Aug 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

It's not debatable.

You can't, you need a system of some sort.

Unless you are very much better than the other teams you need more than one system and to mix it up a bit don't you?

Hasn't he kept pretty much the same team and tactics for the first 3 league matches and got an away win and draws against two of the favourites for promotion?

Personally, I would give him a bit more of a chance before writing Lambert off. I was disappointed we got worse in terms of results after Hurst left but I think this season has started reasonably well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:01 - Aug 17 with 3143 viewsgroovyASH

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 by Wickets

Just the 3 games in 5 points and unbeaten in the league and most where saying it is a tough start.

Well, 3 winnables coming up by that logic, let's see where we are after this.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:02 - Aug 17 with 3135 viewspointofblue

I THINK he favours a back four, defensive central duo with two wingers, a number ten and and out and out striker. Due to the injuries we've suffered - Bishop, Huws, Nydam - and Dozzell not hitting the heights expected we've been scrabbling somewhat to implement that style of play.

The 4-4-2 formation has delivered five points from three difficult (relatively speaking) matches, two of which have been away. Go back to 2.59pm on 3rd August and I think most fans would have taken that. If we bring in the two further players Lambert wants - providing Vincent-Young is signed - and we should see something slowly take shape.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:06 - Aug 17 with 3062 viewsKieran_Knows

I find it strange that when he first came in, there was a clear identity to our play in the sense that we were ‘trying’ to play out from the back, however, that was ditched after a couple of months and ever since then, we barely look like we know what we’re doing.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:07 - Aug 17 with 3059 viewsitfcjoe

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:02 - Aug 17 by pointofblue

I THINK he favours a back four, defensive central duo with two wingers, a number ten and and out and out striker. Due to the injuries we've suffered - Bishop, Huws, Nydam - and Dozzell not hitting the heights expected we've been scrabbling somewhat to implement that style of play.

The 4-4-2 formation has delivered five points from three difficult (relatively speaking) matches, two of which have been away. Go back to 2.59pm on 3rd August and I think most fans would have taken that. If we bring in the two further players Lambert wants - providing Vincent-Young is signed - and we should see something slowly take shape.

Yep, think any town fan would've taken 5 from 3 and being unbeaten, nothing to sniff at on that side of things

I hope you are right about what he will look to implement, I'm still not sure as even in pre season it all seemed very hit and miss and chop and change

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:09 - Aug 17 with 2990 viewsJDB23

I don't want to be too harsh as we've remained undefeated after a tough start and a number of injuries, however there are signs for concern. The game v Sunderland felt like we still didn't really have an identity and we got outplayed second half today. I'm not convinced 4-4-2 with Downes/Skuse and Norwood/Jackson is going to produce lots of wins. Let's see how we line up and perform over the coming weeks with some 'on-paper' easier games and players coming back to fitness.
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:09 - Aug 17 with 2992 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 16:59 - Aug 17 by ActionMan

We need a striker to play alongside Norwood, a centre half to play alongside Chambers and another full back. He's having to make do with what he's got, he didn't sign Jackson for example and he doesn't look like he can score in any game he plays in! If we had a better striker we'd actually win games but it's the same problem, weak defence, poor up top and 5 more midfielders than we realistically need! Draws are good results for sides like ours.

"we need a centre half to play alongside Chambers"

No, we don't. Woolfenden has been fine and needs to play. If he needs a rest/dips in form, we have Wilson to cover and in an emergency Skuse too.

Every manager has to work with players that were at the club before. Once they are fit, he won't complaining about having to work with Sears, Lankester and Folami/Morris.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:09 - Aug 17 with 2981 viewsBluefish

We saw this plan quite often at the end of last season too, it consists of training ground 10 yard keep ball in the middle of the pitch follow by humping it up to strikers that aren't there. We badly need to replace jackson with a target man

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:10 - Aug 17 with 2987 viewspointofblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:07 - Aug 17 by itfcjoe

Yep, think any town fan would've taken 5 from 3 and being unbeaten, nothing to sniff at on that side of things

I hope you are right about what he will look to implement, I'm still not sure as even in pre season it all seemed very hit and miss and chop and change

I guess it was a concern in pre-season in that he was seeming to concentrate purely on fitness and getting as many players game time as possible rather than trying to implement a style. Saying that, arguably it's not a bad thing that we can mix things up both in terms of keeping it on the ground and going long - my concern is our strikers aren't potent enough for either style; that or they're not getting the service required to make them look good.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:13 - Aug 17 with 2915 viewsNthQldITFC

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 by backwaywhen

Culverhous?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:15 - Aug 17 with 2889 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:01 - Aug 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

Unless you are very much better than the other teams you need more than one system and to mix it up a bit don't you?

Hasn't he kept pretty much the same team and tactics for the first 3 league matches and got an away win and draws against two of the favourites for promotion?

Personally, I would give him a bit more of a chance before writing Lambert off. I was disappointed we got worse in terms of results after Hurst left but I think this season has started reasonably well.

Not writing him off and never have done.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:34 - Aug 17 with 2765 viewsSteve_M

Really hard to tell, until half time against Sunderland a fairly basic 4-4-2 was working pretty well. The second half of that one and today have been a mess. Judge complicates things at the moment, needs to stop trying to do it all on his own and play within the team.

I do think confidence is incredibly fragile still but that's more reason to do basic stuff first and then build on it.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:37 - Aug 17 with 2736 viewsActionMan

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:09 - Aug 17 by Nthsuffolkblue

"we need a centre half to play alongside Chambers"

No, we don't. Woolfenden has been fine and needs to play. If he needs a rest/dips in form, we have Wilson to cover and in an emergency Skuse too.

Every manager has to work with players that were at the club before. Once they are fit, he won't complaining about having to work with Sears, Lankester and Folami/Morris.

He's not been outstanding though has he, he's still young, we need some more experience in the side with a level head. As for waiting for players to get fit, it's Ipswich, we're waiting for who's going to be injured next rather than get for given our track record!
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:39 - Aug 17 with 2712 viewsNthsuffolkblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:37 - Aug 17 by ActionMan

He's not been outstanding though has he, he's still young, we need some more experience in the side with a level head. As for waiting for players to get fit, it's Ipswich, we're waiting for who's going to be injured next rather than get for given our track record!

So we may as well shut the academy and sign "outstanding players".

We do not need to replace Woolfenden.

We need to play him.

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:41 - Aug 17 with 2681 viewspointofblue

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:34 - Aug 17 by Steve_M

Really hard to tell, until half time against Sunderland a fairly basic 4-4-2 was working pretty well. The second half of that one and today have been a mess. Judge complicates things at the moment, needs to stop trying to do it all on his own and play within the team.

I do think confidence is incredibly fragile still but that's more reason to do basic stuff first and then build on it.

Sunderland switched to match us at half time last week which gave them a foothold in the game - I wanted us to bring on Roberts for Norwood (or Jackson) before their goal, placing him wide left and moving Judge infield so we had an upper hand in terms of numbers. The 4-4-2 worked well whilst Sunderland were trying out a wing back system but I woudn't say we were a 'mess' in the second half then, though certainly not as good as the first half.

Today Peterborough were the home team so expected to exert pressure, particularly after the equaliser. Again could we have strengthened the middle in the face of additional attacks?

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:41 - Aug 17 with 2675 viewsyorkshire

I think he is trying to get a settled team

I have no issue with 442 with the players we currently have - maybe we can look at a 532 with Garburtt and Kane Vincent later on in the season

I like Skuse and Downes and we just need a couple of Judge, Huws, Edwards, Nolan, Bishop (when fit), Dozzell or El Miz to step up

With Sears coming back for Xmas then we will have another strike option and maybe we can get in another before the window closes

I am happy with the start we made and with what Lambert is doing - surprised so many aren't
What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:42 - Aug 17 with 2670 viewsclive_baker

What is Lambert trying to do? on 17:00 - Aug 17 by backwaywhen

So true.

Lambert isn’t a tactician. We might get top 6 this season by virtue of having a better squad than most if we can get on a bit of a roll but I do worry how smart we are tactically.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024