Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... 09:35 - Aug 15 with 1096 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....and associated infrastructure when this technology already exists ?
https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/what-is-a-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car/n18053
...it is already being put in existing old cars by those in the know! Maybe that is the problem.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 09:50 - Aug 15 with 1037 viewsStokieBlue

So this is actually an interesting debate.

Japan went big into hydrogen cars in the 2000's with big subsidies to all their major car manufacturers. There are obvious advantages:

- Quick refueling
- Only water as emissions
- Infrastructure which already exists (petrol stations) can be converted

There is a huge drawback though. Whilst hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe it's not very abundant in it's own form on Earth. In order to produce hydrogen you likely have to take the approach of splitting seawater which is very energy intensive. The cells themselves are also expensive to produce.

If they can find a cheaper way of producing hydrogen (perhaps using renewables as the energy source to produce it) then I actually think these could be a better long-term solution that electric cars. Hydrogen is also an excellent store of energy, once you've produced it, it's there until you need it.

It's a discussion that needs to be had.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:19 - Aug 15 with 987 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 09:50 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

So this is actually an interesting debate.

Japan went big into hydrogen cars in the 2000's with big subsidies to all their major car manufacturers. There are obvious advantages:

- Quick refueling
- Only water as emissions
- Infrastructure which already exists (petrol stations) can be converted

There is a huge drawback though. Whilst hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe it's not very abundant in it's own form on Earth. In order to produce hydrogen you likely have to take the approach of splitting seawater which is very energy intensive. The cells themselves are also expensive to produce.

If they can find a cheaper way of producing hydrogen (perhaps using renewables as the energy source to produce it) then I actually think these could be a better long-term solution that electric cars. Hydrogen is also an excellent store of energy, once you've produced it, it's there until you need it.

It's a discussion that needs to be had.

SB

I am reliably informed that a local mechanic has done a conversion which sources hydrogen as and when required.....will investigate further.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:26 - Aug 15 with 978 viewsGeoffSentence

It is inefficient compared to batteries.

Electricity has to be used to free up hydrogen, then that hydrogen is used to create electricity to run the car. Those two extra steps that you don't need with battery powered cars create a lot of inefficiency.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:40 - Aug 15 with 946 viewsStokieBlue

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:19 - Aug 15 by BanksterDebtSlave

I am reliably informed that a local mechanic has done a conversion which sources hydrogen as and when required.....will investigate further.

"sources hydrogen as and when required"

You'll have to explain what that means because on the face of it, it's impossible.

SB

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:46 - Aug 15 with 929 viewsStokieBlue

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 10:26 - Aug 15 by GeoffSentence

It is inefficient compared to batteries.

Electricity has to be used to free up hydrogen, then that hydrogen is used to create electricity to run the car. Those two extra steps that you don't need with battery powered cars create a lot of inefficiency.

Whilst true there are advantages as well:

- No degradation of the stored energy once it's in hydrogen form
- No replacing of batteries after a few years
- No 6 hour recharges

If we are using renewable or nuclear energy to create and the store the hydrogen then the inefficiencies aren't really that relevant. It becomes even less relevant if you think of the vast amount of energy and resources that will need to be put into place to allow everyone to have a charging point to recharge their car. None of that is needed with hydrogen - just park it outside your house and drive to the garage when needed - it's no extra domestic infrastructure at all.

For some actual numbers:

- Batteries such as the Tesla powerwall are 80-90% efficiency
- Production of hydrogren is 70-85% efficiency
- Hydrogren fuel cells are 40-60% efficiency
- Petrol is 25-50% efficiency

SB

Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 11:24 - Aug 15 with 864 viewsBloomBlue

Isn't also dangerous ie it burns easily and worse you cannot see the flames meaning if it's on fire you can walk into it without knowing, well you will once it starts burning you. Plus it's so cold it can give you frostbite or am I getting confused
Why are we wasting time on electric cars..... on 11:30 - Aug 15 with 856 viewsBluefish

I had a play with the nexo a couple of weeks ago. There is next to no infrastructure to fill it up (none north of the midlands and I think 1 in the Midlands) it cost 70k + for the car and about £65 to do 320 odd miles. It is miles too expensive and a long way off. The fact those 3 are still playing with it i do find interesting because they must believe it can catch up. You can make it yourself but I am no scientist

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024