Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How is the government tackling knife crime? 22:06 - Aug 14 with 4092 viewsHerbivore

By placing adverts inside fried chicken boxes. We are officially in a post-satire age. Brass Eye couldn't have made up sh!t like this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:07 - Aug 14 with 3016 viewsStokieBlue

Ridiculous.

Would be interesting to see the reasoning for it from the planning session, I think we know how it might have gone.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:16 - Aug 14 with 2977 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:07 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

Ridiculous.

Would be interesting to see the reasoning for it from the planning session, I think we know how it might have gone.

SB

Yep. Being British these days is essentially doing a constant facepalm.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:32 - Aug 14 with 2960 viewsMugwump

Ridiculous.

SB

It is of course ridiculous but probably not for the reasons you first think. There are studies from child support groups showing that there are chicken shop gangs recruiting people to ferry drugs - and believe it or not pay them in chicken. You will scoff at this but it’s true.

The thing that I don’t get is that the people who will read these boxes telling them that knife crime is bad already know it’s bad - the fact is they never had a choice but to get into it.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:35 - Aug 14 with 2954 viewsblueblueburleymcgrew

It’s not an advert is it though it’s a carefully targeted message and it has relevance.
How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:52 - Aug 14 with 2898 viewsPinewoodblue

Ridiculous.

SB

Not if there is evidence showing that people who frequent such establishments are more likely to be knife carriers.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:54 - Aug 14 with 2895 viewsSpruceMoose

Looking forward to the roll out of the pint glasses in Wetherspoons with 'Don't be a bigoted Gammon' etched on the side.

Fair is fair right?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 23:00 - Aug 14 with 2873 viewsfactual_blue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:35 - Aug 14 by blueblueburleymcgrew

It’s not an advert is it though it’s a carefully targeted message and it has relevance.

Does the special mix of spices in KFC make you want to kill then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 23:09 - Aug 14 with 2845 viewsStokieBlue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:52 - Aug 14 by Pinewoodblue

Not if there is evidence showing that people who frequent such establishments are more likely to be knife carriers.

I'm sure such people will take the time to read the boxes and be deeply motivated to never carry knives again.

It's a ridiculous idea. Nobody either carrying or thinking of carrying is going to read their chicken box.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 00:09 - Aug 15 with 2801 viewshomer_123

Knife free chicken boxes? Were they supplying knives with every kids meal then?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 00:32 - Aug 15 with 2781 viewsfactual_blue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:54 - Aug 14 by SpruceMoose

Looking forward to the roll out of the pint glasses in Wetherspoons with 'Don't be a bigoted Gammon' etched on the side.

Fair is fair right?

Written on in green crayon, surely?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 00:49 - Aug 15 with 2767 viewsSpruceMoose

#GoGammonFree2020

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 07:17 - Aug 15 with 2655 viewsStokieBlue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 00:49 - Aug 15 by SpruceMoose

#GoGammonFree2020

Is ham hock acceptable?

SB

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 07:54 - Aug 15 with 2617 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 22:35 - Aug 14 by blueblueburleymcgrew

An advert is a targeted message. I guess you can either see why this is problematic or you can't, and evidently you can't.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 08:00 - Aug 15 with 2606 viewscaught-in-limbo

Too little too late, surely. These sorts of notices would be more useful in the slaughter house.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 08:06 - Aug 15 with 2593 viewstabletopjoe

With an increasingly gullible public who love to lap up slick PR, all you have to do to stay in power is to advertise to them that you're doing a good job. You don't actually have to do anything.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 08:10 - Aug 15 with 2582 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 08:06 - Aug 15 by tabletopjoe

With an increasingly gullible public who love to lap up slick PR, all you have to do to stay in power is to advertise to them that you're doing a good job. You don't actually have to do anything.

Thanks for another stellar contribution.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:10 - Aug 15 with 2528 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 23:09 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

I'm sure such people will take the time to read the boxes and be deeply motivated to never carry knives again.

It's a ridiculous idea. Nobody either carrying or thinking of carrying is going to read their chicken box.

SB

I don't think it is that silly, just another little 'nudge', all these things add up

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:15 - Aug 15 with 2512 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:10 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

I don't think it is that silly, just another little 'nudge', all these things add up

It's incredibly silly.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:15 - Aug 15 with 2507 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:15 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

It's incredibly silly.

In your opinion

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:18 - Aug 15 with 2491 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:15 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

In your opinion

Explain to me why you think it's not incredibly silly. They've invested money in this, money that could have been spent on actually tackling the underlying issues thag lead young people to carry knives. Putting stories inside chicken boxes isn't going to do anything to address knife crime.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:20 - Aug 15 with 2478 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:18 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

Explain to me why you think it's not incredibly silly. They've invested money in this, money that could have been spent on actually tackling the underlying issues thag lead young people to carry knives. Putting stories inside chicken boxes isn't going to do anything to address knife crime.

Courtney Barrett, who runs his own knife amnesty in east London told BBC News the scheme was a "step in the right direction" but stressed that it should not just involve chicken shops.

Not everything is mutually exclusive, money can be invested in other areas too. There can't just be a one way approach to this and there is no evidence yet that this isn't part of a wider campaign.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:22 - Aug 15 with 2467 viewsStokieBlue

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:10 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Do you have any evidence that all these things add up? It's fine to say it but is there anything to verify it? I honestly don't see how this would make any difference. When was the last time you read the container your takeaway came in?

I see Lammy has taken the view that may have crossed many peoples minds upon reading the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/14/anti-knife-branding-in-chicken-s

SB

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 2442 viewscaught-in-limbo

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 08:10 - Aug 15 by Herbivore

Thanks for another stellar contribution.

Your comment is little more than a "I think all your comments are rubbish."

Comments like this only serve to make the atmosphere on the forum more fractious.

If you don't like someone's opinions, at least explain why or ask the poster to explain his comments in greater detail. If you think that would be a futile exercise, just ignore the comment. Ignoring people is incredibly effective

Most of us can form our own opinions on others' views without having to hear what one of the board regulars has to say.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 2437 viewsitfcjoe

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:22 - Aug 15 by StokieBlue

Do you have any evidence that all these things add up? It's fine to say it but is there anything to verify it? I honestly don't see how this would make any difference. When was the last time you read the container your takeaway came in?

I see Lammy has taken the view that may have crossed many peoples minds upon reading the story:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/aug/14/anti-knife-branding-in-chicken-s

SB

Lammy would think it was racist if he was playing chess and was the black pieces. I don't actually mind him and think he is a good guy but he is very OTT.

I've got no evidence other than anecdotal, but don't think it's a great leap to suggest the 'sort of people' who frequent chicken shops are the 'sort of people' that are committing knife crimes.

That there is a far bigger percentage of these 'sort of people' who are black is a failing of wider society that has allowed this to happen and an ethnically disproportionate under class has developed.

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 2436 viewsHerbivore

How is the government tackling knife crime? on 09:20 - Aug 15 by itfcjoe

Courtney Barrett, who runs his own knife amnesty in east London told BBC News the scheme was a "step in the right direction" but stressed that it should not just involve chicken shops.

Not everything is mutually exclusive, money can be invested in other areas too. There can't just be a one way approach to this and there is no evidence yet that this isn't part of a wider campaign.

That's not evidence, that's a quote from someone basically saying that doing something is better than doing nothing but more needs to be done. There's no evidence to support this kind of approach working and this approach doesn't remotely get to the heart of how young people are groomed into joining criminal gangs.

You say there is no evidence this isn't part of a wider programme, well there's no evidence that it is either. They aren't reopening youth services across the country. They are increasing stop and search, police on the streets, and prison spaces - none of which get to the root causes of the problem by the way.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024