Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Things could get very bad in Hong Kong 21:36 - Aug 13 with 2539 viewsStokieBlue

PLA are building up on the border by Shenzhen:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/hong-kong-protests-latest-airport-

Police pulled a gun on protesters today whilst using the usual tear gas etc. It's going to get out of hand very quickly if things keep escalating at this rate.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 21:45 - Aug 13 with 2474 viewshomer_123

Playing out exactly as Beijing would like....sadly.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 21:48 - Aug 13 with 2456 viewspointofblue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 21:45 - Aug 13 by homer_123

I cyncically wonder whether there are some 'false flags' amongst the protesters to wind them up and create an atmosphere where the army can go in to keep 'law and order'.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 23:23 - Aug 13 with 2359 viewsBluesquid

The protesters were giving him a severe beating and being cornered i don't think he had much of a choice.

Let's hope that things calm down over there and that the Chinese don't get involved as i think that will only inflame the situation further.
[Post edited 13 Aug 2019 23:24]
Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 07:06 - Aug 14 with 2248 viewsStokieBlue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 23:23 - Aug 13 by Bluesquid

The protesters were giving him a severe beating and being cornered i don't think he had much of a choice.

Let's hope that things calm down over there and that the Chinese don't get involved as i think that will only inflame the situation further.

Totally agree things need to calm down but conversely people are angry at the way China is attempting to circumvent the one state two systems agreement.

I saw that video, totally agree they shouldn't have been beating him, that will backfire but you need to consider context here. Him and the other police had just attempted to storm a peaceful protest using riot gear, things like that are going to happen if you take that step.

SB

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:23 - Aug 14 with 2202 viewstabletopjoe

I wonder if the people who say ‘Beijing’ instead of ‘Peking’ have started to think about which empire they prefer yet.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:50 - Aug 14 with 2172 viewsjeera

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:23 - Aug 14 by tabletopjoe

I wonder if the people who say ‘Beijing’ instead of ‘Peking’ have started to think about which empire they prefer yet.

In your head that almost sounded sagelike didn't it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:52 - Aug 14 with 2162 viewsHerbivore

You are a veritable font of irrelevance.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:52 - Aug 14 with 2165 viewsm14_blue

So edgy
Login to get fewer ads

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:53 - Aug 14 with 2165 viewsgiant_stow

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 21:45 - Aug 13 by homer_123

Wouldn't they rather it all went away quietly and just ran out of steam?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:57 - Aug 14 with 2155 viewsStokieBlue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:53 - Aug 14 by giant_stow

Wouldn't they rather it all went away quietly and just ran out of steam?

Perhaps, although this does give them an opportunity to essentially ditch the two systems agreement and just integrate HK directly into Chinese law immediately.

They did after all start it all by trying to do that with the extradition bill which basically meant HK citizens could be sent to China and be tried under that systems laws.

The thing is they don't really have much that can be done against them. They could of course be economically crippled but it would require the whole world to act in unison which is never going to happen and the effects on the rest of the world would also be devastating.

When countries like the US, China or Russia act there is little the world community can realistically do about it. Look at Georgia - Russia is still there, claiming little bits of land every now and again and no cease and desist order from the UN is going to make any difference.

SB

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:58 - Aug 14 with 2151 viewsElephantintheRoom

I'm sure it was worse when some country I cannot remember the name of used Hong Kong as the hub of their opium trade into china

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 10:02 - Aug 14 with 2140 viewsStokieBlue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:58 - Aug 14 by ElephantintheRoom

I'm sure it was worse when some country I cannot remember the name of used Hong Kong as the hub of their opium trade into china

Judging current events by historical context isn't really helpful.

Everyone knows that was bad, most people also know it's irrelevant to the current situation.

SB

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 10:03 - Aug 14 with 2128 viewsHerbivore

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 09:58 - Aug 14 by ElephantintheRoom

Ooh, we have a new entrant into the Irrelevance Cup. The competition is strong this year.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 10:05 - Aug 14 with 2124 viewsjeera

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 10:03 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

Ooh, we have a new entrant into the Irrelevance Cup. The competition is strong this year.

He can't even remember the name of the country he's referring to.

Always frustrating when you're trying to impress others.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:22 - Aug 14 with 2055 viewscaught-in-limbo

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 23:23 - Aug 13 by Bluesquid

Let's hope the situation finds a peaceful conclusion and doesn't get out of control and result in permanent injuries and fatalities as is happening in the liberté-loving nation of France.

[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 11:32]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:34 - Aug 14 with 2040 viewsStokieBlue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:22 - Aug 14 by caught-in-limbo

Let's hope the situation finds a peaceful conclusion and doesn't get out of control and result in permanent injuries and fatalities as is happening in the liberté-loving nation of France.

Not really an equivalence.

France will continue to enjoy freedoms regardless of the protests, their protests are based on economic issues. HK stand to lose the right to protest, something that won't ever happen in France no matter how heavy-handed their police are.

I don't think any deaths in France have been directly from the police though? That won't be the case if the PLA are called into HK.

I agree with your sentiment of wishing for a peaceful conclusion, unfortunately it's looking less likely the longer it goes on.

SB

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:34 - Aug 14 with 2039 viewstabletopjoe

It certainly seems like the French Revolution is starting to enter its final phase.

'Let the ignorant argue with themselves' -- CL

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:10 - Aug 14 with 2014 viewscaught-in-limbo

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:34 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

France will continue to enjoy freedoms regardless of the protests, their protests are based on economic issues. HK stand to lose the right to protest, something that won't ever happen in France no matter how heavy-handed their police are.

I don't think any deaths in France have been directly from the police though? That won't be the case if the PLA are called into HK.

I agree with your sentiment of wishing for a peaceful conclusion, unfortunately it's looking less likely the longer it goes on.

SB

You've completely ignored the content of that 2nd video I posted.

"HK stand to lose the right to protest, something that won't ever happen in France no matter how heavy-handed their police are."

Unfortunately, this is not true. The state of national emergency which came in force following the Charlie Hebdo attack in 2015 was extended 5 times until November 2017. This was used (falsely and illegally) to prohibit peaceful protests in France during that period.

The French government is so unpopular at the moment (and not just for economic reasons as you say) but they can't impose another state of national emergency, although they want to. The solution is to have a lock down on honest reporting and force protesters off the street with violence.

There are more similarities to what's going on than is being reported and therefore than what you realise. Try watching the video by the French lawyer lady I linked in my previous post for starters.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2017/05/france-unchecked-clampdown-on-pro
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 12:13]

#toxic

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:15 - Aug 14 with 2002 viewsStokieBlue

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:10 - Aug 14 by caught-in-limbo

You've completely ignored the content of that 2nd video I posted.

"HK stand to lose the right to protest, something that won't ever happen in France no matter how heavy-handed their police are."

Unfortunately, this is not true. The state of national emergency which came in force following the Charlie Hebdo attack in 2015 was extended 5 times until November 2017. This was used (falsely and illegally) to prohibit peaceful protests in France during that period.

The French government is so unpopular at the moment (and not just for economic reasons as you say) but they can't impose another state of national emergency, although they want to. The solution is to have a lock down on honest reporting and force protesters off the street with violence.

There are more similarities to what's going on than is being reported and therefore than what you realise. Try watching the video by the French lawyer lady I linked in my previous post for starters.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2017/05/france-unchecked-clampdown-on-pro
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 12:13]

It's still not the same, that's an extraordinary event (although having it from 2015 is out of order) which is ultimately finite. The people of HK will lose the right to protest forever, not just during extraordinary events.

Given this I think assigning a level of equivalence is too strong. That's not to say that what is happening in France is in any way acceptable - people should be allowed the right to peaceful protest regardless.

Some of the protesting in France wasn't peaceful though which couldn't have helped matters.

SB

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:31 - Aug 14 with 1968 viewschicoazul

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 11:34 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

SB

Hasnt Macron literally banned protests now?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:33 - Aug 14 with 1963 viewsWeWereZombies

Some of those scenes in the first video reminded me of the Rodney King beating in Los Angeles back in 1991!

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:33 - Aug 14 with 1962 viewscaught-in-limbo

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:15 - Aug 14 by StokieBlue

It's still not the same, that's an extraordinary event (although having it from 2015 is out of order) which is ultimately finite. The people of HK will lose the right to protest forever, not just during extraordinary events.

Given this I think assigning a level of equivalence is too strong. That's not to say that what is happening in France is in any way acceptable - people should be allowed the right to peaceful protest regardless.

Some of the protesting in France wasn't peaceful though which couldn't have helped matters.

SB

Anyway, so it does happen in France and has happened very recently. There is enormous police violence against peaceful protests in France.

France employs agents provocateurs (curiously known as "les casseurs", "the breakers") like any other government in the world to justify police violence. The actions of "les casseurs" in the gilets jaunes protests in France is known to everyone.

#toxic

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 12:49 - Aug 14 with 1938 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 10:03 - Aug 14 by Herbivore

Oo my go!
The protestors best move was branding themselves with umbrellas rather than yellow vests. Our media seem much more sympathetic when they get shot in the eye etc..etc

Edit...good work CIL, I really should read to the end of the thread before commenting!
[Post edited 14 Aug 2019 13:06]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Things could get very bad in Hong Kong on 13:34 - Aug 14 with 1898 viewsElderGrizzly

They do it every 6 to 8 weeks.

Coincidence more than conspiracy in our opinion
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024