Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker 16:39 - Aug 12 with 3435 viewsAlan_Handsome

I'm not really a big drinker, but I'm bringing someone to the football in a couple of weeks who is well into his craft beer/real ale. Can anyone recommend a pub which he'd like, which is within walking distance of PR?

Thank you in advance you helpful people.

You can't polish a turd....but you can sprinkle it with glitter!

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:40 - Aug 12 with 3423 viewsLanky

Definitely the Thomas Wolsey
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:41 - Aug 12 with 3428 viewsSteve_M

Any of the below with the former being the closest:

Thomas Wolsey
Arcade Tavern
Greyhound

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Aye, or.... on 16:52 - Aug 12 with 3387 viewsDyland

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:41 - Aug 12 by Steve_M

Thomas Wolsey
Arcade Tavern
Greyhound

The Arcade Tavern is the nearest (and best I reckon), though I do like the Greyhound for its no nonsense rickety charm. I've never warmed to the TW... feels a bit like a JCR...

The Dove isn't too far a walk if you're able bodied and can be arsed to get there for midday and spend a couple of hours going through everything on offer. It's a wet dream for real ale drinkers, and the food fills a hole.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:53 - Aug 12 with 3371 viewschicoazul

Drum and Monkey.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Aye, or.... on 16:54 - Aug 12 with 3369 viewschicoazul

Aye, or.... on 16:52 - Aug 12 by Dyland

The Arcade Tavern is the nearest (and best I reckon), though I do like the Greyhound for its no nonsense rickety charm. I've never warmed to the TW... feels a bit like a JCR...

The Dove isn't too far a walk if you're able bodied and can be arsed to get there for midday and spend a couple of hours going through everything on offer. It's a wet dream for real ale drinkers, and the food fills a hole.

How do you actually get to see any of the game? If i'd been drinking for 3 hours before KO i'd be going for a wee every 20 minutes.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Aye, or.... on 16:58 - Aug 12 with 3362 viewsDyland

Aye, or.... on 16:54 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

How do you actually get to see any of the game? If i'd been drinking for 3 hours before KO i'd be going for a wee every 20 minutes.

I go to the Arcade for an hour or an hour and a half before toddling over to PR innit. Or K Bar if any of the mooks want food.

The Dove suggestion is for an out of towner real aler, innit. Worth the extra walk and time imo, though I'd start the quaffing earlier and leave around 2, or soon after.

Aye, or.... on 16:59 - Aug 12 with 3350 viewschicoazul

Aye, or.... on 16:58 - Aug 12 by Dyland

I go to the Arcade for an hour or an hour and a half before toddling over to PR innit. Or K Bar if any of the mooks want food.

The Dove suggestion is for an out of towner real aler, innit. Worth the extra walk and time imo, though I'd start the quaffing earlier and leave around 2, or soon after.

You must have the bladder of Hercules sir.

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 17:11 - Aug 12 with 3320 viewsBluefish

The dodgy pub with the prostitutes that Hoppy took me to in the dodgy area near the roundabout

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Aye, or.... on 17:12 - Aug 12 with 3326 viewsDubtractor

Aye, or.... on 16:59 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

I'm in awe of that kind of bladder capacity tbh.

I'd add the spread Eagle to the suggestions already made. Cracking little pub these days and decent beer too.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Quite the opposite on 17:38 - Aug 12 with 3275 viewsDyland

Aye, or.... on 16:59 - Aug 12 by chicoazul

but these days I just do shots and pills bruv.

(runs away)

;)

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 18:46 - Aug 12 with 3147 viewsColin_Viljoen

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

The dodgy pub with the prostitutes that Hoppy took me to in the dodgy area near the roundabout

The Curve Bar????
Aye, or.... on 18:50 - Aug 12 with 3133 viewsFunge

Aye, or.... on 17:12 - Aug 12 by Dubtractor

I'm in awe of that kind of bladder capacity tbh.

I'd add the spread Eagle to the suggestions already made. Cracking little pub these days and decent beer too.

I can second this. The Spread is a very pleasing pub.
thirded on 18:54 - Aug 12 with 3124 viewsDyland

Aye, or.... on 18:50 - Aug 12 by Funge

I can second this. The Spread is a very pleasing pub.

There's a not half bad pub crawl you can do round Ipswich in fact. Add in the Fat Cat and Woolpack (former a bit far for footy obvs). Shame the Brewery Tap got caught out and closed innit. After Cliff Quay brewery opened down there it became a really good boozer for a time.

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 19:11 - Aug 12 with 3074 viewsBluefish

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 18:46 - Aug 12 by Colin_Viljoen

The Curve Bar????

Nope. Possibly called St Judes?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 19:21 - Aug 12 with 3049 viewsSpruceMoose

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 19:11 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Nope. Possibly called St Judes?

You're thinking of Bella Napoli.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 20:13 - Aug 12 with 2981 viewslinhdi

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Bluefish

Must be the St Judes Tavern, st Matthews St. Never seen a lady of the night there, so far as I know, but it is certainly full of "characters".
thirded on 21:53 - Aug 12 with 2851 viewsFunge

thirded on 18:54 - Aug 12 by Dyland

There's a not half bad pub crawl you can do round Ipswich in fact. Add in the Fat Cat and Woolpack (former a bit far for footy obvs). Shame the Brewery Tap got caught out and closed innit. After Cliff Quay brewery opened down there it became a really good boozer for a time.

I bumped into some old boys in the Tap one night; they were part of a club called the Spinning Ball (I think), and their intention was to visit every pub in Ipswich.

This was about 2006, and I think there were about 80 or so pubs in Ipswich that were still open. There's obviously a few less now.

I've never done the Flying Horse or Red Lion out in wildest IP1; other than that, I think I've done pretty much all the others.

Loads have gone now - Golden Key, John Bull, Harleys, Haven, Racecourse - and that's just on the East side of Towun.

EDIT - Harleys was obviously IP2, as any fule kno.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2019 21:57]
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 08:22 - Aug 13 with 2628 viewsHarlestonblue

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:41 - Aug 12 by Steve_M

Thomas Wolsey
Arcade Tavern
Greyhound

I would endorse those recommendations and add:
The Three Wise Monkeys, Lloyds Avenue
Mannings, the Cornhill
the Rep, Tower Street and
the Spread Eagle, Fore Street
All very central. The Greyhound, Dove, Fat Cat, Woolpack etc are great but a little bit further out but a taxi fare would be cheap.
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 09:22 - Aug 13 with 2568 viewsSikamikanico

If he likes craft beer maybe pop into Hopsters before the game.

Not a pub but you can enjoy a drink in there and they have very good selection of canned and bottled beers from across the country.
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 09:57 - Aug 13 with 2533 viewsbracknell_blue

Spread Eagle. Briarbank is very close to it as an alternative. 15 mins from PR.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 12:23 - Aug 13 with 2440 viewsWitherspoon123

I would really recomend the dove. it is out of town somewhat, however we often leave around 1440 - 1445 and get to portman road for kick off or just after - as long as we put a pace on. its full of great beers, a few of there own aswell and are kept to a excellent standard

in town, yes agree with most and say the thomas wolsey - dont be put off if its busy, the service is very very good and prices are reasonable

enjoy
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 12:25 - Aug 13 with 2431 viewsWitherspoon123

Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 08:22 - Aug 13 by Harlestonblue

I would endorse those recommendations and add:
The Three Wise Monkeys, Lloyds Avenue
Mannings, the Cornhill
the Rep, Tower Street and
the Spread Eagle, Fore Street
All very central. The Greyhound, Dove, Fat Cat, Woolpack etc are great but a little bit further out but a taxi fare would be cheap.

we got a taxi from the dove to portman road on saturday (my friend had a bad leg as we normally walk)

total cost - shared with 4 - £3.80
Best pub within walking distance of PR for an ale drinker on 16:46 - Aug 13 with 2243 viewsWarkalone

St Jude’s Brewery Tavern at the top of Norwich Road just down from the Tesco near St Matthews roundabout. Beer straight out of the barrel, a whole blackboard of real ales and real ciders, regularlyupdated - really friendly staff, great pub. Just turn left out of the door and you are on Portman Road. Planet Rock on the radio, Spit and sawdust and fairly small but brilliant!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024