Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem 09:17 - Aug 9 with 1497 viewsBluefish

Move to free to air tv and go hard at moving the armchair fans to following real football opposed to the sterile world of the PL. The massive deficit that clubs already have might make it not viable but the success of the womens world cup shows their is an appetite for the neutral to fall in love with football without the greed

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 09:26 - Aug 9 with 1460 viewsGuthrum

Apart from the EFL and most of the clubs instantly going bust, plus a mass exodus of players if some sort of barrier to playing in the Prem (or chance of club promotion) is put in place.

It would be immensely difficult to put the financial genie back into the bottle, which is the only way a non-TV funded League can hope to survive. Would players be happy with a reduction to (pro rata) 1970s wage levels?
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 9:26]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 09:29 - Aug 9 with 1437 viewsTractorCam

I say just turn the Prem into the MLS.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 10:54 - Aug 9 with 1294 viewsBigManBlue

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 09:29 - Aug 9 by TractorCam

I say just turn the Prem into the MLS.

You mean a closed shop, licensed style of league? I think we might well reach a point one day soon with 15-20 clubs big enough to pull up the drawbridge and survive as international brand type entities outside of traditional English P+R.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:03 - Aug 9 with 1261 viewsRadlett_blue

Going the whole hog and abandoning the Sky money (plus the pathetic "solidarity" payments from the PL) would probably trigger an ITV Digital-style wave of administrations & the clubs wouldn't vote for it. However, I think the FL should question whether the current TV deal is really in the interest of all clubs as it leads to umpteen inconvenient kick off times, although that largely affects the big clubs such as Leeds, who presumably get more of the revenue.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:07 - Aug 9 with 1248 viewsPendejo

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 10:54 - Aug 9 by BigManBlue

You mean a closed shop, licensed style of league? I think we might well reach a point one day soon with 15-20 clubs big enough to pull up the drawbridge and survive as international brand type entities outside of traditional English P+R.

No, this must never happen.

Promotion and relegation should always exist, though had this happened in 96[?] that would have left Massive Citeh in the 3rd tier.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:08 - Aug 9 with 1247 viewsElephantintheRoom

Watched free to air TV recently? Football is Prem first, Scottish Prem 2nd - and then a bt of women's football squeezed in. Already the football league has ceased to exist in media land.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:17 - Aug 9 with 1220 viewsTractorCam

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:07 - Aug 9 by Pendejo

Promotion and relegation should always exist, though had this happened in 96[?] that would have left Massive Citeh in the 3rd tier.

Promotion to the Prem to win 6 matches out of 38, get relegated with £50 million in parachute payments and then just yo you forever.

Let them join a stupid super league with the MLS (can't see any of the big European clubs wanting this other than Barca/ Real) and then the rest of us can have our usual system.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 12:06 - Aug 9 with 1134 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think it's a bad idea - because it wouldn't end promotion or relegation as is stated below - would just be a different TV deal.

But how big would the TV deal, and the outgoing EFL chairman signed a long deal as the last thing he did - how on earth was that allowed to happen?

There were a few EFL games on free to air, when we lost 4-0 to Newcastle was one

EDIT - Deal is £595m over 5 years (£119m a year), which is too low as it is but would terrestrial pay that?

The BBC pay £211m over 3 years for MOTD, MOTD2 and all that brings (£70m a year) and attract 7m viewiers.

The EFL can't afford to take much less, and no terrestrial will pay it so you can't square the circle

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 15:38 - Aug 9 with 1029 viewsBigManBlue

Should the EFL distance itself from the Prem on 11:07 - Aug 9 by Pendejo

I totally agree that promotion and relegation is essential to English sport - on the other hand, I couldn't care less if the big 6/8/however-many b*ggered off and did their own thing so the rest of us could have a proper and fair football league pyramid, ideally with some sort of actual salary cap, spending limits, local player allocation...

It's about this time of day that I usually get on the crack pipe, mind.
[Post edited 9 Aug 2019 15:38]

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024