Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Evans should sell up' 14:13 - Aug 7 with 3746 viewsuefacup81

My two pence on this one...

I think I echo most of the more reasonable/realistic posters on here by asking just how many billionaires are looking to buy football clubs at the moment, and how many of those would be interested in buying a second/third tier provincial club.

My worry, if Marcus was to sell the club, is the kind of buyer he would be able to attract. Ken Anderson is likely to be in the market for a new club sometime soon, and then there are the various basket cases who tried and failed to buy Bolton.

I want someone in charge of the club who is going to drive it to be sustainable, and make sure that we have a club to support in 10-20 years time. Oh how Bolton and Bury must wish they'd had the boring stability of Evans at the helm...

I honestly think that if Evans was to actively try and sell the club, we'd be more likely to end up with a worse owner than equal or better. In fact, I reckon those odds would be 80:20 or worse. For me the ultimate priority is having a club, and if there were only two choices on offer, I'd much rather have us bumble around the Championship for the next five hundred years, than go bust in ten years time after having sp*nked all out money on winning the Champions League.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

'Evans should sell up' on 14:24 - Aug 7 with 3168 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I agree with all you say except the last sentence. We would have spent all the money on losing out in the play offs to whichever combination of Derby, Leeds, West Brom, Norwich, West Ham etc you want to choose. There is a limit to what a few hundred million pounds can buy. Villa are not about to win the Champions League despite all their spending.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

'Evans should sell up' on 14:29 - Aug 7 with 3178 viewsSteve_M

"I want someone in charge of the club who is going to drive it to be sustainable, and make sure that we have a club to support in 10-20 years time"

What evidence do we have that Evans will do that? The club is drifting, it has been for years and the end result is more likely to be atrophy rather than sustainability. To what purpose is Evans chucking in a few million each year? Is it to make a return on his spending at some point, is it love of the club, is it he doesn't quite know what else to do with it? We don't know and we're completely beholden to one man at the moment - that's not sustainable even if he is merely a bit crap when it comes to football rather than malicious.

There are some welcome signs, the relaunch of the community trust the latest but the fact it was scrapped as a cost-cutting measure a few years back was incredibly short-sighted. Until the last couple of years the club showed little initiative in attracting new supporters and it's good this has changed but the sense remains that Evans has to be dragged into doing these things.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

'Evans should sell up' on 14:47 - Aug 7 with 3129 viewsFixed_It

'Evans should sell up' on 14:29 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

"I want someone in charge of the club who is going to drive it to be sustainable, and make sure that we have a club to support in 10-20 years time"

What evidence do we have that Evans will do that? The club is drifting, it has been for years and the end result is more likely to be atrophy rather than sustainability. To what purpose is Evans chucking in a few million each year? Is it to make a return on his spending at some point, is it love of the club, is it he doesn't quite know what else to do with it? We don't know and we're completely beholden to one man at the moment - that's not sustainable even if he is merely a bit crap when it comes to football rather than malicious.

There are some welcome signs, the relaunch of the community trust the latest but the fact it was scrapped as a cost-cutting measure a few years back was incredibly short-sighted. Until the last couple of years the club showed little initiative in attracting new supporters and it's good this has changed but the sense remains that Evans has to be dragged into doing these things.

Evans took on the Club as a potential opportunity to make a quick buck by getting promoted. He appointed Keane and Clegg and his plan failed. He had continued to prop the Club up financially, but the game has changed and he had been left behind. However, in his time here he has built an affinity with the Club, and feels a responsibility to safeguard it's future. This is where we are at. I have no doubt he would sell if the right buyer came along, but in the meantime he is trying to develop a sustainable aporoach to running a football club. He isn't the perfect owner as his pockets aren't as deep as some, but there are a lot, lot worse.
Steve, I have the greatest respect for your opinions on most football-related issues. But I do fear you have an anti-Evans agenda fuelled by your pals at Turnstile Blues. If Evans was to pull the plug we would be screwed. That is the bottom line.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2019 14:49]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

'Evans should sell up' on 14:57 - Aug 7 with 3056 viewshomer_123

'Evans should sell up' on 14:47 - Aug 7 by Fixed_It

Evans took on the Club as a potential opportunity to make a quick buck by getting promoted. He appointed Keane and Clegg and his plan failed. He had continued to prop the Club up financially, but the game has changed and he had been left behind. However, in his time here he has built an affinity with the Club, and feels a responsibility to safeguard it's future. This is where we are at. I have no doubt he would sell if the right buyer came along, but in the meantime he is trying to develop a sustainable aporoach to running a football club. He isn't the perfect owner as his pockets aren't as deep as some, but there are a lot, lot worse.
Steve, I have the greatest respect for your opinions on most football-related issues. But I do fear you have an anti-Evans agenda fuelled by your pals at Turnstile Blues. If Evans was to pull the plug we would be screwed. That is the bottom line.

Here's the thing - you are both right.

Steve is spot on (as he, I and many others have noted) - we are existing as a club, and barely at that. We are a significant risk, if we fail to get promotion, to finding ourselves sitting in this division for the next 10 years until we get relegated again. That is a stark reality regardless of how many feel/ think/ believe we'll push for promotion this season.

You are right in that he was sold the club on the basis of 'one or two new players' and you'll get promoted. He has, albeit, slowly built something with the club from a 'feeling' perspective. And yes, sustainable approach is now what we are doing, but somewhat out of necessity than planning.

We are at a 'be careful what you wish for' with Evans as we were with Mick. Maybe the choice is death by a thousand cuts (Evans) or death by other means (new owner).

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

'Evans should sell up' on 14:58 - Aug 7 with 3057 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I agree with that.

I think Evans has been left holding the baby.

He bought the club and invested relatively heavily at the time, but backed the wrong manager.

He gambled, and he lost.

In the period since then, the football landscape has changed massively and we have dropped further behind due to our business model.

I dont really blame Evans for this (I might be alone), I just think football has gone crazy and most teams have been left behind.

...and as for League 1... well I enjoyed celebrating a win on Saturday, and holding on to a 1-0 lead for so long. I am a pretty happy supporter. Maybe I am alone in that.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

'Evans should sell up' on 14:59 - Aug 7 with 3048 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Agreed.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

'Evans should sell up' on 15:02 - Aug 7 with 3044 viewsSteve_M

I have an anti-Evans agenda because he's been crap for the club, I have no philosophical objection to anyone owning a club and think supporter own clubs in the top two divisions is a pipedream. You'll note my repeated insistence that it's not about how much money Evans spends (or lends) to the club but how that money is spent, last Summer being a case in point where poor decisions taken over a couple of months have relegated us.

That there are worse owners about isn't the greatest of endorsements of Evans, you can't answer the questions in my previous post about his intentions because none of us can possibly know what they are. How do you know Evans feels a "feels a responsibility to safeguard it's [the club's] future"?

The views of other members of Turnstile Blues are different to mine and to each other, both in terms of views on football and politics. I'll continue to form my own opinions and mix with a wide circle of people without it affecting my judgement.

Here's a blog from 2011 where I'm critical of Evans:

"First and foremost on the charge sheet is a lack of strategy; there hasn’t been one since the Marcus Evans takeover. At least before that there was one to let Jim Magilton slowly build a side; it would have run into problems with the inevitable need to sell promising players, but it was something most fans could understand.

Instead the dominant feature of the last three and a half years has been throwing money at relatively expensive, but mediocre, players with little thought as to the outcome. That has been five different sets of players in as many seasons with big rebuilds every summer - so far to little great effect.

It is impossible not to sit and admire Swansea’s approach of choosing a style of play and appointing managers that can suit that style. It is an approach that has seen incremental, rather than wholesale, change despite two changes of manager in as many years. In contrast I have not been able to discern a consistent approach to team selection from any of Magilton, Roy Keane or Jewell individually, let alone between the three of them."

Six years later and, despite the best efforts of Mick, most of that remains true. That's why I'm critical of Evans:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/19028/[blog]-is-this-club-rotten-from-top-to-bottom

Or this one a year later:

"To hear some fans speak though, sacking Jewell would be a panacea, just as the displacement of both Magilton and Keane before him was going to be. The fact that we are nearly five years and three managers on from the Evans takeover and the state of the club is palpably worse than before should provide ample evidence to the contrary. That’s not a reason for keeping Jewell any longer though, not any more."

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21225/where-does-this-football-club-go-from-here/#0

The only thing I got wrong here was underestimating Mick McCarthy.

'Evans should sell up' on 15:10 - Aug 7 with 2999 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'Evans should sell up' on 15:02 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

I have an anti-Evans agenda because he's been crap for the club, I have no philosophical objection to anyone owning a club and think supporter own clubs in the top two divisions is a pipedream. You'll note my repeated insistence that it's not about how much money Evans spends (or lends) to the club but how that money is spent, last Summer being a case in point where poor decisions taken over a couple of months have relegated us.

That there are worse owners about isn't the greatest of endorsements of Evans, you can't answer the questions in my previous post about his intentions because none of us can possibly know what they are. How do you know Evans feels a "feels a responsibility to safeguard it's [the club's] future"?

The views of other members of Turnstile Blues are different to mine and to each other, both in terms of views on football and politics. I'll continue to form my own opinions and mix with a wide circle of people without it affecting my judgement.

Here's a blog from 2011 where I'm critical of Evans:

"First and foremost on the charge sheet is a lack of strategy; there hasn’t been one since the Marcus Evans takeover. At least before that there was one to let Jim Magilton slowly build a side; it would have run into problems with the inevitable need to sell promising players, but it was something most fans could understand.

Instead the dominant feature of the last three and a half years has been throwing money at relatively expensive, but mediocre, players with little thought as to the outcome. That has been five different sets of players in as many seasons with big rebuilds every summer - so far to little great effect.

It is impossible not to sit and admire Swansea’s approach of choosing a style of play and appointing managers that can suit that style. It is an approach that has seen incremental, rather than wholesale, change despite two changes of manager in as many years. In contrast I have not been able to discern a consistent approach to team selection from any of Magilton, Roy Keane or Jewell individually, let alone between the three of them."

Six years later and, despite the best efforts of Mick, most of that remains true. That's why I'm critical of Evans:

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/19028/[blog]-is-this-club-rotten-from-top-to-bottom

Or this one a year later:

"To hear some fans speak though, sacking Jewell would be a panacea, just as the displacement of both Magilton and Keane before him was going to be. The fact that we are nearly five years and three managers on from the Evans takeover and the state of the club is palpably worse than before should provide ample evidence to the contrary. That’s not a reason for keeping Jewell any longer though, not any more."

https://www.twtd.co.uk/blogs/21225/where-does-this-football-club-go-from-here/#0

The only thing I got wrong here was underestimating Mick McCarthy.

"The only thing I got wrong here was underestimating Mick McCarthy."

We can all point out problems, but not so good at solutions.

Evans would admit that he has got things wrong, and I am sure he has regrets.

Its all too easy to say he got his strategy wrong, but his problem was probably trusting his managers judgement in the case of Hurst.

He will have learned from that too, he pretty much admitted to it.

We need solutions, not problems.... and I don't see anyone really coming up with a proposed solution other than 'we need a new owner'.

Just as the idea that there are plenty of worse owners out there isn't justification not wanting change, neither is the idea that any change is simply a panacea.

Football is pretty f*cked, and none of us really have a solution!!

Login to get fewer ads

'Evans should sell up' on 15:18 - Aug 7 with 2959 viewsSteve_M

'Evans should sell up' on 15:10 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

"The only thing I got wrong here was underestimating Mick McCarthy."

We can all point out problems, but not so good at solutions.

Evans would admit that he has got things wrong, and I am sure he has regrets.

Its all too easy to say he got his strategy wrong, but his problem was probably trusting his managers judgement in the case of Hurst.

He will have learned from that too, he pretty much admitted to it.

We need solutions, not problems.... and I don't see anyone really coming up with a proposed solution other than 'we need a new owner'.

Just as the idea that there are plenty of worse owners out there isn't justification not wanting change, neither is the idea that any change is simply a panacea.

Football is pretty f*cked, and none of us really have a solution!!

"Its all too easy to say he got his strategy wrong, but his problem was probably trusting his managers judgement in the case of Hurst.

He will have learned from that too, he pretty much admitted to it."

He trusted Keane and Jewell and let them set the club back years at a time when his investment might have made a difference and then he did the same with Hurst which relegated us. Not much evidence of learning from his biggest mistakes there.

And I really don't think relying on the first team manager is a strategy, there needs to be a clear approach to playing football that managers are appointed to fit within, to avoid the wholesale change we had last Summer. None of that costs more than what the club has spent in rectifying those mistakes.

Completely agree with your last like and that certainly isn't Evans' fault but relying on the advice of people who knew how football worked in the 80s has not helped him cope with those changes.

'Evans should sell up' on 15:21 - Aug 7 with 2933 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'Evans should sell up' on 15:18 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

"Its all too easy to say he got his strategy wrong, but his problem was probably trusting his managers judgement in the case of Hurst.

He trusted Keane and Jewell and let them set the club back years at a time when his investment might have made a difference and then he did the same with Hurst which relegated us. Not much evidence of learning from his biggest mistakes there.

And I really don't think relying on the first team manager is a strategy, there needs to be a clear approach to playing football that managers are appointed to fit within, to avoid the wholesale change we had last Summer. None of that costs more than what the club has spent in rectifying those mistakes.

Completely agree with your last like and that certainly isn't Evans' fault but relying on the advice of people who knew how football worked in the 80s has not helped him cope with those changes.

Wouldnt disagree about adopting a style of play and sticking with it even when managers change.

The difficulty is who decides on that strategy... its likely to be implemented by the manager in place at that time.

...I guess you would maybe come back to someone like Burley as a DoF... or maybe trust in someone younger like Kieron Dyer.

'Evans should sell up' on 15:34 - Aug 7 with 2864 viewsSwansea_Blue

'Evans should sell up' on 14:58 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

I agree with that.

I think Evans has been left holding the baby.

He bought the club and invested relatively heavily at the time, but backed the wrong manager.

He gambled, and he lost.

In the period since then, the football landscape has changed massively and we have dropped further behind due to our business model.

I dont really blame Evans for this (I might be alone), I just think football has gone crazy and most teams have been left behind.

...and as for League 1... well I enjoyed celebrating a win on Saturday, and holding on to a 1-0 lead for so long. I am a pretty happy supporter. Maybe I am alone in that.

Every time he gambles he loses, that's the problem. I wish he'd stop taking advice from Harry and Barry Fry and speak to Pep or Klopp instead!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Evans should sell up' on 15:35 - Aug 7 with 2856 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'Evans should sell up' on 15:34 - Aug 7 by Swansea_Blue

Every time he gambles he loses, that's the problem. I wish he'd stop taking advice from Harry and Barry Fry and speak to Pep or Klopp instead!

Its such a pity Sir Bobby hasnt been around during Evans' tenure.

'Evans should sell up' on 15:35 - Aug 7 with 2857 viewsSteve_M

'Evans should sell up' on 15:21 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Wouldnt disagree about adopting a style of play and sticking with it even when managers change.

The difficulty is who decides on that strategy... its likely to be implemented by the manager in place at that time.

...I guess you would maybe come back to someone like Burley as a DoF... or maybe trust in someone younger like Kieron Dyer.

If Lambert stays for long enough then it might come from there, that broadly matches the approach of the academy sides whereas there was far more of a disjoint under Mick. Ultimately though, that is the sort of direction an owner should be taking the lead in identifying unless or, alternately, appointing a Director of Football with decision making powers to set that direction.

For all MM's faults when it comes to the worst of the football, his brief was still to keep us challenging for promotion on the budget he had and that got progressively harder to combine that with any medium-term thinking as time went on for the reasons already discussed.

'Evans should sell up' on 15:37 - Aug 7 with 2846 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

'Evans should sell up' on 15:35 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

If Lambert stays for long enough then it might come from there, that broadly matches the approach of the academy sides whereas there was far more of a disjoint under Mick. Ultimately though, that is the sort of direction an owner should be taking the lead in identifying unless or, alternately, appointing a Director of Football with decision making powers to set that direction.

For all MM's faults when it comes to the worst of the football, his brief was still to keep us challenging for promotion on the budget he had and that got progressively harder to combine that with any medium-term thinking as time went on for the reasons already discussed.

Being Mr Hindsight for a second... it was always going to be difficult to follow Mick and try to play different football... maybe the Cowleys would have been the best choice, with a brief to try to evolve over time.

'Evans should sell up' on 16:00 - Aug 7 with 2797 viewshomer_123

'Evans should sell up' on 15:18 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

And not backing Mick, the one manager that might have actually bought a touch more sensibly?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

'Evans should sell up' on 16:05 - Aug 7 with 2784 viewsSteve_M

'Evans should sell up' on 15:37 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Being Mr Hindsight for a second... it was always going to be difficult to follow Mick and try to play different football... maybe the Cowleys would have been the best choice, with a brief to try to evolve over time.

True, and the change over time part is one that should have been part of Hurst's brief. Then he saw he could sell players and do everything in one go.

From the outside, Hurst was a sensible appointment. It's an open question whether we should have been able to found out more about his and Doig's approach to man-management beforehand.

The footballing decisions are the bigger problem, that is where Evans should have had more control over the direction if not the individual decisions (and indeed he realised that we lacked experience, albeit slightly late). That's where all the "Evans is a good owner" stuff really grates: we got that wrong and got relegated as a result.

'Evans should sell up' on 16:10 - Aug 7 with 2763 viewsBlueBadger

'Evans should sell up' on 16:05 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

True, and the change over time part is one that should have been part of Hurst's brief. Then he saw he could sell players and do everything in one go.

From the outside, Hurst was a sensible appointment. It's an open question whether we should have been able to found out more about his and Doig's approach to man-management beforehand.

The footballing decisions are the bigger problem, that is where Evans should have had more control over the direction if not the individual decisions (and indeed he realised that we lacked experience, albeit slightly late). That's where all the "Evans is a good owner" stuff really grates: we got that wrong and got relegated as a result.

We missed a golden opportunity when Mick left to restructure the club to have a proper top-to-bottom-youth-team-to-first-team approach to our style of play and recruitment. I honestly don't think anything will truly change at ITFC until Evans grasps the nettle and instigates root-and-branch reform at Town.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

'Evans should sell up' on 16:10 - Aug 7 with 2775 viewsPhilTWTD

'Evans should sell up' on 15:35 - Aug 7 by Marshalls_Mullet

Its such a pity Sir Bobby hasnt been around during Evans' tenure.

True, although I think they did meet and speak on a few occasions before Sir Bobby died. Of course, one of Sor Bobby's staff both at Town and elsewhere, Charlie Woods, has been ME's football consultant and confidant for much of his time here.
'Evans should sell up' on 16:16 - Aug 7 with 2746 viewsSteve_M

'Evans should sell up' on 16:10 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

True, although I think they did meet and speak on a few occasions before Sir Bobby died. Of course, one of Sor Bobby's staff both at Town and elsewhere, Charlie Woods, has been ME's football consultant and confidant for much of his time here.

There is still a sense that the game has moved on from the people ME has trusted for advice at various times though - Redknapp, Woods, Pleat - even Barry Fry although his longevity in the game must mean something.

I think that is part of the reason so much remains concentrated with the first team manager and why it's gone so badly wrong here when that manager hasn't been MM or Lambert.

'Evans should sell up' on 16:20 - Aug 7 with 2714 viewsActionMan

'Evans should sell up' on 14:29 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

This is the best post all day, well said, some logic and reality at last.

However it's probably a bit too much logic for the Evans supporters such as Plug here unfortunately, apparently unless you have a few million quid you aren't allowed a view anymore.
'Evans should sell up' on 16:29 - Aug 7 with 2684 viewsbraveblue

Unless you have a list of possible interested parties how can you make these assumptions and give 80:20 odds on a new owner being a problem?
The current guy is a total disaster. Being slightly better than Bolton is hardly a ringing endorsement.
'Evans should sell up' on 16:42 - Aug 7 with 2653 viewslongtimefan

'Evans should sell up' on 16:10 - Aug 7 by PhilTWTD

Indeed. He was watching Ipswich last year at the request of ME.
'Evans should sell up' on 17:29 - Aug 7 with 2547 viewsNthQldITFC

'Evans should sell up' on 14:57 - Aug 7 by homer_123

Here's the thing - you are both right.

Steve is spot on (as he, I and many others have noted) - we are existing as a club, and barely at that. We are a significant risk, if we fail to get promotion, to finding ourselves sitting in this division for the next 10 years until we get relegated again. That is a stark reality regardless of how many feel/ think/ believe we'll push for promotion this season.

You are right in that he was sold the club on the basis of 'one or two new players' and you'll get promoted. He has, albeit, slowly built something with the club from a 'feeling' perspective. And yes, sustainable approach is now what we are doing, but somewhat out of necessity than planning.

We are at a 'be careful what you wish for' with Evans as we were with Mick. Maybe the choice is death by a thousand cuts (Evans) or death by other means (new owner).

Great thread this. Its not a black and white issue, both sides of the argument have some merit.

Come on you blues!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

'Evans should sell up' on 18:47 - Aug 7 with 2425 viewstractorboy1978

'Evans should sell up' on 16:16 - Aug 7 by Steve_M

There is still a sense that the game has moved on from the people ME has trusted for advice at various times though - Redknapp, Woods, Pleat - even Barry Fry although his longevity in the game must mean something.

I think that is part of the reason so much remains concentrated with the first team manager and why it's gone so badly wrong here when that manager hasn't been MM or Lambert.

Don't you think that for the majority of the time it has been the manager leading Evans rather than vice versa? Even now. Today's statement has Paul Lambert's finger prints all over it in many areas. I actually think he likes and respects being told what to do - he just isn't around anywhere near enough to do it. As you've alluded to, he needs a strong manager that is prepared to almost run the entire club (like managers did a couple of decades ago).

His biggest failing for me (and i've said it so many times over several years) is not employing a competent DoF.
'Evans should sell up' on 19:17 - Aug 7 with 2381 viewsuefacup81

'Evans should sell up' on 16:29 - Aug 7 by braveblue

Unless you have a list of possible interested parties how can you make these assumptions and give 80:20 odds on a new owner being a problem?
The current guy is a total disaster. Being slightly better than Bolton is hardly a ringing endorsement.

I just can't agree with you there with your 'marginally better than Bolton' assessment.

We're streets ahead of them in terms of how the finances of the club are handled.

Whatever you think of Evans, I can't imagine that he'd ever allow the club to get into a position where staff go unpaid for multiple months.

Regarding the 80:20 split, I think that's probably a fair assessment. If you contrast the various nut jobs who either run clubs into the ground, sack managers every six seconds, or take an interest for a few seasons and then walk off declaring that there'll be no more money and the club has to sustain itself, with the owners who actually try to do their best by the club and community, I think the latter are few and far between when it comes to new owners.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024