Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 08:07 - Aug 5 with 2930 viewsReuser_is_God

What are we all thinking then?

If we are to lose then I just hope we take it deep. This can’t be all over by mid afternoon. I do however think we will do it today, just have a feeling. It’s been a match which has mostly consisted of some proper test match batting barring a mad hour from each side in their 1st innings.

Dig in lads.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:18 - Aug 5 with 2177 viewsCoastalblue

I was thinking last night about how it wasn't unusual in test matches for them to agree to come off on the 5th day when it was blatantly obvious that there would not be a result. That never seems to happen now, probably due to modern scoring rates and the speed the game moves on.

How we could do with a Cook or Atherton in their prime today, big day for Root I think, he could be in quite early and then he needs to set an example and lead from the front.

Roy will be interesting, I don't expect him to last more than 5 overs, but if he does, and then gets in the Aussies might actually start to get a little twitchy themselves.

A fascinating day ahead, but I worry it will be all over bar the shouting an hour or two after lunch and we will be trying to limp along until tea.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:23 - Aug 5 with 2143 viewsHerbivore

We're going to chase it down at 5 an over with Stokes hitting with winning runs at 6.14pm with us having only lost 4 wickets. Believe.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:24 - Aug 5 with 2152 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:23 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

We're going to chase it down at 5 an over with Stokes hitting with winning runs at 6.14pm with us having only lost 4 wickets. Believe.

Would be nice.

We did score 408 on the 1st day at Edgbaston in 05.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:33 - Aug 5 with 2145 viewsSteve_M

We'll lose and fairly comfortably I think, although only after having got through the first session two wickets down to give us all hope. Despite the way England played on Friday it doesn't feel like a team to grind out an entire day, Saturday morning is evidence of that.

Given the prediction for a draw was still 50% yesterday I was hoping for a forecast more like that for tomorrow, might be a bit of rain but nothing significant today.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqdt4b2x#?date=2019-08-05

The decision to pick Anderson looked risky at the time, utterly dreadful in hindsight as it's meant every other bowler has done far more than ideal but we could still have build a much better first innings lead.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:34 - Aug 5 with 2132 viewsGuthrum

We do now have players who can bat long as well as big. If Burns can repeat his 1st innings performance, plus Root and the new, more dogged Stokes, then we stand a decent chance. Lyon is the biggest danger, with the pitch not doing much for the seamers - and there is only one of him.

Very risky to try going for it, ODI-style, as the lack of fielding and bowling restrictions would be a big disadvantage. Might be able to pull it off, with great care balancing the aggression.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:38 - Aug 5 with 2113 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:33 - Aug 5 by Steve_M

We'll lose and fairly comfortably I think, although only after having got through the first session two wickets down to give us all hope. Despite the way England played on Friday it doesn't feel like a team to grind out an entire day, Saturday morning is evidence of that.

Given the prediction for a draw was still 50% yesterday I was hoping for a forecast more like that for tomorrow, might be a bit of rain but nothing significant today.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcqdt4b2x#?date=2019-08-05

The decision to pick Anderson looked risky at the time, utterly dreadful in hindsight as it's meant every other bowler has done far more than ideal but we could still have build a much better first innings lead.

Yes, our 1st innings lead really ought to have been 190.

Only 4 bowlers in the 1st innings & 3 & a half effectively with Woakes struggling 2nd innings has cost us here.

Interesting selection coming up for the next test.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:39 - Aug 5 with 2100 viewsHerbivore

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:34 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

We do now have players who can bat long as well as big. If Burns can repeat his 1st innings performance, plus Root and the new, more dogged Stokes, then we stand a decent chance. Lyon is the biggest danger, with the pitch not doing much for the seamers - and there is only one of him.

Very risky to try going for it, ODI-style, as the lack of fielding and bowling restrictions would be a big disadvantage. Might be able to pull it off, with great care balancing the aggression.

I think there's probably a 1% chance of chasing it down really, maybe less. That said, we need to get a balance and show some intent because if we don't then Australia can just get men around the bat and ramp up the pressure and we will inevitably crumble. If we score at a rate that threatens the chase then they will have to show a bit more restraint in the field.

Everything depends on Lyon really, if he fires we're in big trouble but if he doesn't then batting all day is doable.

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:40 - Aug 5 with 2103 viewschicoazul

All out for 180 or so. And that's without them even playing Starc and Hazlewood.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:41 - Aug 5 with 2102 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:39 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

I think there's probably a 1% chance of chasing it down really, maybe less. That said, we need to get a balance and show some intent because if we don't then Australia can just get men around the bat and ramp up the pressure and we will inevitably crumble. If we score at a rate that threatens the chase then they will have to show a bit more restraint in the field.

Everything depends on Lyon really, if he fires we're in big trouble but if he doesn't then batting all day is doable.

The saving grace with Lyon is that he’s probably a better bowler when he’s getting more bounce rather than more turn.

*** clutching at straws ***

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:41 - Aug 5 with 2097 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:40 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

All out for 180 or so. And that's without them even playing Starc and Hazlewood.

That’s far too positive from you Chico.

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:42 - Aug 5 with 2099 viewsBluefish

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:38 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

Yes, our 1st innings lead really ought to have been 190.

Only 4 bowlers in the 1st innings & 3 & a half effectively with Woakes struggling 2nd innings has cost us here.

Interesting selection coming up for the next test.

A game decided by ball changes. England desperately wanted a ball change in the 1st innings but were denied and Smith went on to score big. Aussies got their ball change and the innings turned, you do wonder if the scoring positions affecting the decisions.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:42 - Aug 5 with 2085 viewsHerbivore

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:41 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

The saving grace with Lyon is that he’s probably a better bowler when he’s getting more bounce rather than more turn.

*** clutching at straws ***

They were saying yesterday that his record bowling on the last day isn't all that great. Fingers crossed.

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:48 - Aug 5 with 2061 viewsGuthrum

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:39 - Aug 5 by Herbivore

If Roy, Bairstow and Buttler get into attack mode, anchored by the others, they could take a fair bite out of the target in quite a short time. But that would be extremely risky, with a very large chance of failure and the loss of essential wickets.

Michael Vaughan was saying yesterday evening that if the turn Lyon is getting becomes regular and predictable, even tho it moves a long way, the batsmen can adjust and become comfortable.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:49 - Aug 5 with 2060 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If I was an Aussie I would be disappointed they didn't get a wicket or two yesterday. To get 10 today needs the pitch to do a lot or England to bat poorly. Both are possible.

My prediction, we will lose 3 before lunch. The rain will come. We will come back out and lose 3 more wickets quickly and struggle to make it to the close.

Now I have just had Nasser say it won't rain, though.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:07 - Aug 5 with 2023 viewsBlueForYou

Were not going to get anywhere near 390 on a day 5 pitch. In your dreams! But we do have a slim chance of batting out the day for the draw. Would be a huge lift if we could. Have the day off so wil be glued to it.
Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:08 - Aug 5 with 2017 viewswellsy700

Nathan Lyon to the left handers is the biggest threat. He will show just how poorly Moeen bowled during their innings by bowling us out before tea.

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:10 - Aug 5 with 2005 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:08 - Aug 5 by wellsy700

Nathan Lyon to the left handers is the biggest threat. He will show just how poorly Moeen bowled during their innings by bowling us out before tea.

How poorly Moeen bowled, how poorly we bat or both?

We are not all left-handers are we?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:12 - Aug 5 with 1985 viewsHerbivore

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:07 - Aug 5 by BlueForYou

Were not going to get anywhere near 390 on a day 5 pitch. In your dreams! But we do have a slim chance of batting out the day for the draw. Would be a huge lift if we could. Have the day off so wil be glued to it.

We only need 388.

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:12 - Aug 5 with 1993 viewsitfcjoe

I'll be amazed if we get within 100 of the target, the test just got away from us yesterday.

Unless Burns can dig in for another 100 to take the MOTM away from Smith we are screwed. We really missed Jimmy yesterday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:14 - Aug 5 with 1974 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 08:48 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

If Roy, Bairstow and Buttler get into attack mode, anchored by the others, they could take a fair bite out of the target in quite a short time. But that would be extremely risky, with a very large chance of failure and the loss of essential wickets.

Michael Vaughan was saying yesterday evening that if the turn Lyon is getting becomes regular and predictable, even tho it moves a long way, the batsmen can adjust and become comfortable.

The only way we chase it down is if the pitch goes so flat that we are none down at lunch without a sniff of a chance. We then start to go for it and continue not to lose wickets.

Roy 200 not out, Burns 125, Root hits the winning runs and we win by 9 wickets.

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:18 - Aug 5 with 1958 viewsStokieBlue

It's raining pretty steadily at the moment and doesn't look like stopping.

Might save us. If not we will be bowled out.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:19 - Aug 5 with 1953 viewschicoazul

Onmce we lose what's everyone's team for the next test?
I have felt for a while that Jonny insisting on having the gloves screws with our team balance. I'd take them off him, give them to Jos, and play;

Burns
Roy
Bairstow
Root
No idea, anyone?
Stokes
Buttler
Woakes if fit Archer if not
Sam Curran
Broad
Leach

Dear old Moeen looks in bits. Anderson isnt fit and may have played his last game. Root has to play at 4. Bairstow test average at 3 is just shy of his average at 7, it's stupid to have someone as good as him coming in at 7. Close call between Curran and Archer but wasnt Curran MotS last summer..? Plus he is a lefty.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:21 - Aug 5 with 1937 viewsHerbivore

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:19 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

I have felt for a while that Jonny insisting on having the gloves screws with our team balance. I'd take them off him, give them to Jos, and play;

Burns
Roy
Bairstow
Root
No idea, anyone?
Stokes
Buttler
Sam Curran
Broad
Leach

Dear old Moeen looks in bits. Anderson isnt fit and may have played his last game. Root has to play at 4. Bairstow test average at 3 is just shy of his average at 7, it's stupid to have someone as good as him coming in at 7. Close call between Curran and Archer but wasnt Curran MotS last summer..? Plus he is a lefty.

Bairstow is not remotely close to being a number 3 test batsman.

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:21 - Aug 5 with 1941 viewsReuser_is_God

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:19 - Aug 5 by chicoazul

Burns
Roy
Bairstow
Root
No idea, anyone?
Stokes
Buttler
Sam Curran
Broad
Leach

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly/Bairstow - shootout today
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach

Wouldn't risk Archer if he's not 100%

Evans out

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:23 - Aug 5 with 1930 viewschicoazul

Ashes 1st Test Day 5 on 09:21 - Aug 5 by Reuser_is_God

Burns
Roy
Root
Denly/Bairstow - shootout today
Buttler
Stokes
Foakes
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach

Wouldn't risk Archer if he's not 100%

Foakes is a very good shout. Shift Root to 4, Bairstow to 3 (or even Buttler..?) and i'm having that team definitely.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024