Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that 09:50 - Aug 2 with 1913 viewsSamWhiteUK

I struggle to grasp why he can't see that a football club is a business like any other? "You have to spend money to make money", I believe is the old saying. It's not just going to fall in your lap
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:54 - Aug 2 with 1330 viewsBluefish

If it is so obvious presumably you have made more than him and can buy us off him and make it work. After all he is only "supposedly" and businessman and you are suggesting how easy it should be.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:56 - Aug 2 with 1322 viewsElderGrizzly

He is a businessman. He has a loss making arm to his empire that he is trying to reduce the haemorrhage of money from.

The problem is a football club is unlike any other business. In any other business we would be shut down a long while ago and be declared insolvent.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:56 - Aug 2 with 1317 viewsdirtyboy

Whilst i'm fast losing faith in ME, you're miles off on that comment.

ME is a businessman, and yes, you can suggest speculate to accumulate (read: take risk) but also, as a business, it's called investing and investing demands ROI which I think we can see....other than a few clubs, owning a football club rarely offers any return on the money invested.

I'm fast suspecting ME is out of disposable income.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:56 - Aug 2 with 1306 viewsSamWhiteUK

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:54 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

If it is so obvious presumably you have made more than him and can buy us off him and make it work. After all he is only "supposedly" and businessman and you are suggesting how easy it should be.

Don't be an idiot, Bluefish, if that's possible for you. That's clearly not what I'm suggesting.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:57 - Aug 2 with 1306 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Because he is clever enough to know that modern football is f*cked.

And that last year, there was no point chucking £30m in each season on the 5% chance we will get promoted to the Premier League (see Derby).

The best case was for him to just lose £6m for a 1% chance of promotion.

Now, he has his hands tied by the League One rules and doesn't feel he needs to spend more millions when we have a side that should be good enough to go up.

Depressingly, Evans knows exactly what he is doing. Some of it isn't even his fault. It's football over the last 10 years.

It's teams like Middlesbrough paying £15m for strikers that aren't any better than what they already have!

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:58 - Aug 2 with 1287 viewsSwansea_Blue

From the little I know of his business 'empire' we're run much like the other parts of his group (= very lean). Most of what I've seen has been on here though, so could be a bit off the mark.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:03 - Aug 2 with 1249 viewsSamWhiteUK

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:57 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

And that last year, there was no point chucking £30m in each season on the 5% chance we will get promoted to the Premier League (see Derby).

Now, he has his hands tied by the League One rules and doesn't feel he needs to spend more millions when we have a side that should be good enough to go up.

Depressingly, Evans knows exactly what he is doing. Some of it isn't even his fault. It's football over the last 10 years.

It's teams like Middlesbrough paying £15m for strikers that aren't any better than what they already have!

We should be able to get up, yes. But without investment, we all know exactly where we'll be the season after next, whether we go up this year or not, and it ain't the Championship.

As much as Derby have thrown (too much) money at it and not been promoted, they also haven't been slowly slipping down the ranks. They have remained competitive. And had they gone up via the Playoffs, the money they had spent would no longer be an issue, even if they immediately got relegated again
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:05 - Aug 2 with 1237 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:03 - Aug 2 by SamWhiteUK

We should be able to get up, yes. But without investment, we all know exactly where we'll be the season after next, whether we go up this year or not, and it ain't the Championship.

As much as Derby have thrown (too much) money at it and not been promoted, they also haven't been slowly slipping down the ranks. They have remained competitive. And had they gone up via the Playoffs, the money they had spent would no longer be an issue, even if they immediately got relegated again

But they've now had to fake sell their own stadium to their owner and lease it back because they have to plug their losses. What they are doing is not sustainable.

As already posted - Evans is a smart businessman and is trying to plug the losses from a company which is severely in the red.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 with 1229 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:03 - Aug 2 by SamWhiteUK

They have spent about £30m a season to STAND STILL.

That is what the Championship is now. So imagine how much money Evans would need to spend just to catch a club like Derby up.

Realistically £50m - £100m from where we are. Which is mental. We are talking about two similarly sized teams in the same division for years and years and after one relegation that's how far we are now behind them.

If Derby hadn't sold a £40m stadium for £80m they'd be in all kinds of trouble.

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 with 1219 viewsElderGrizzly

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That is what the Championship is now. So imagine how much money Evans would need to spend just to catch a club like Derby up.

Realistically £50m - £100m from where we are. Which is mental. We are talking about two similarly sized teams in the same division for years and years and after one relegation that's how far we are now behind them.

And you can only perform that trick once. What do they sell next?
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:09 - Aug 2 with 1198 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

And you can only perform that trick once. What do they sell next?

Exactly.

I put £10 on Derby to go up because the jammy gits will fluke it this year and it'll never be an issue.

If they do not go up this season they could well end up in big trouble. 2-3 years of selling off their stars and hoping to replace them in the Brentford model to stay around the top 6 or they'll completely fall away.

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:11 - Aug 2 with 1185 viewsSamWhiteUK

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:07 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Of course, a direct comparison can't be made, as it really depends on what you spend that £30m on. Buy the wrong players and you might as well set fire to it.

Yes, it's a lot of money to get nowhere, and Evans will never put that amount in and I would never expect him to do so, it's madness. But there seems to be an air of COMPLETE reluctance to spend ANY money above and beyond what's needed to keep our heads above the water, and that is what is driving me, and others, including PL, mental. If Marcus isn't willing to do that (and I completely understand that, it's his money) then football just isn't for him, is it?
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:21 - Aug 2 with 1119 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:11 - Aug 2 by SamWhiteUK

Of course, a direct comparison can't be made, as it really depends on what you spend that £30m on. Buy the wrong players and you might as well set fire to it.

Yes, it's a lot of money to get nowhere, and Evans will never put that amount in and I would never expect him to do so, it's madness. But there seems to be an air of COMPLETE reluctance to spend ANY money above and beyond what's needed to keep our heads above the water, and that is what is driving me, and others, including PL, mental. If Marcus isn't willing to do that (and I completely understand that, it's his money) then football just isn't for him, is it?

The thing I am p*ssed off about it having about £3m in from sell ons that we didn't budget for.

I know Evans can look at that as money to offset.

But promotion immediately earns us £7m more each year. I don't know how the contracts work and whether any wage cuts would then go back up, but you'd like to think we'd be about break even if we do with the players we now have.

Give Lambert £1m - £1.5m of that. Pretend Mings never went anywhere. Bank the rest as a lovely bonus and let the man bring in one or two quality players in areas of need.

I'm not asking Evans to spend money we didn't have. I expected it. But once we got several million in that we couldn't have planned for, he has to give Lambert a little bit to improve our chances of bouncing straight back.

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:23 - Aug 2 with 1106 viewsElderGrizzly

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:21 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

The thing I am p*ssed off about it having about £3m in from sell ons that we didn't budget for.

I know Evans can look at that as money to offset.

But promotion immediately earns us £7m more each year. I don't know how the contracts work and whether any wage cuts would then go back up, but you'd like to think we'd be about break even if we do with the players we now have.

Give Lambert £1m - £1.5m of that. Pretend Mings never went anywhere. Bank the rest as a lovely bonus and let the man bring in one or two quality players in areas of need.

I'm not asking Evans to spend money we didn't have. I expected it. But once we got several million in that we couldn't have planned for, he has to give Lambert a little bit to improve our chances of bouncing straight back.

Yes, wages would return to their original levels, so an immediate 40-60% increase on the wage bill.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:26 - Aug 2 with 1093 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:23 - Aug 2 by ElderGrizzly

Yes, wages would return to their original levels, so an immediate 40-60% increase on the wage bill.

We'd fall in at what £15m instead of £18m given the players we'd have moved off the books (including loans) and the players we'd have come to rely on.

Arguably we'd be in a better financial position, season ticket sales would clearly go up on last season after a successful season and we probably couldn't be any less competitive than last season.

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:32 - Aug 2 with 1077 viewsitfcjoe

Just because he has made a success of his business in eventing, doesn't mean he has the first clue about running a football club.

We don't know the conditions in which he made his millions either - it may be that he was given massive helping hands along the way, or was right place at right time, or got lucky. He clearly has made a huge success of it, but it's a private company, with no shareholders to please and seems to be shrinking rather than growing at the moment.

He clearly doesn't know how to run a football club well, it's not even the level of funding it is just basic bad decision making on a frequent basis.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:34 - Aug 2 with 1055 viewsitfcjoe

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 09:57 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

"Depressingly, Evans knows exactly what he is doing"

He clearly doesn't, because he would be able to spend that £6m much more wisely if he was with the correct infrastrusture in place.

Also, he's going to spend £6m or whatever this season, probably a fair bit less with all the sell ons, and he has a 0% chance of getting to the PL

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:58 - Aug 2 with 1002 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:32 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Just because he has made a success of his business in eventing, doesn't mean he has the first clue about running a football club.

We don't know the conditions in which he made his millions either - it may be that he was given massive helping hands along the way, or was right place at right time, or got lucky. He clearly has made a huge success of it, but it's a private company, with no shareholders to please and seems to be shrinking rather than growing at the moment.

He clearly doesn't know how to run a football club well, it's not even the level of funding it is just basic bad decision making on a frequent basis.

Can you name 10 clubs that are run well? 5 might be a fairer request

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:01 - Aug 2 with 984 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:58 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

Can you name 10 clubs that are run well? 5 might be a fairer request

Liverpool
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Wolves
Sheffield United
Brentford
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Accrington
Rochdale

Took me seconds.

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:16 - Aug 2 with 945 viewsBloomBlue

And in a business money coming in has to be greater than money going out. If it's the other way round you have a sheepshanks situation.

Evan's already invests millions into the club the problem is fans want more. Dont forget the academy which he funds.

What annoys me is a lot of fans want Burely back because he would work with the youths, we now have a chance to use those youths and fans dont want it.
Lambert needs to work with what he has.
Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:20 - Aug 2 with 937 viewsthatdamgood89

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 10:32 - Aug 2 by itfcjoe

Completely agree with this assessment. I'd also go onto say I'd have more sympathy with M.E if he actually appointed a figure head to run the club full time instead of insisting on being involved with every single decision .

We get it Marcus, you have no footballing experience so put someone in charge from the footballing world. Give him a yearly budget and then let him get on with it. I don't see how difficult that would be. I really don't.

Hey :) Please check out my Ipswich Town F.C podcast 'Talk Of The Town' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPhPy_79sSvPSugh32vN8qg?view_as=subscriber Available every Wednesday on; YouTube Spotify Buzzsrpout Google Podcasts Itune Podcasts

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:24 - Aug 2 with 927 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:01 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Liverpool
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Wolves
Sheffield United
Brentford
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Accrington
Rochdale

Took me seconds.

Are you being serious here?

Please do explain why Liverpool, Bournemouth or Wolves are run well. They must make huge losses that are paid out by wealthy owners. I'm guessing what you mean is that they are doing well buying success from an unsustainable business model replying on a wealthy owner propping that up. It is the same model we had here, the difference is that we got relegated. Shefield United are included because they got a promotion. Brentford are above their size because of a wealthy owner propping them up. I am looking for clubs that are run well and generate a profit or at least break even. Nearly all clubs make losses so you are saying the difference is the ones that are currently doing well on the pitch

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:31 - Aug 2 with 904 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:24 - Aug 2 by Bluefish

Are you being serious here?

Please do explain why Liverpool, Bournemouth or Wolves are run well. They must make huge losses that are paid out by wealthy owners. I'm guessing what you mean is that they are doing well buying success from an unsustainable business model replying on a wealthy owner propping that up. It is the same model we had here, the difference is that we got relegated. Shefield United are included because they got a promotion. Brentford are above their size because of a wealthy owner propping them up. I am looking for clubs that are run well and generate a profit or at least break even. Nearly all clubs make losses so you are saying the difference is the ones that are currently doing well on the pitch

Jesus wept.

Do you know anything about football?

You can't work out why Liverpool, European champions and a team who just missed on the title with one defeat and points that would have won them the league in 23 of the last 25 season are well run?

Look at every player they have signed in their starting eleven and on their bench and look at what they paid and what they would go for now.

Even £75m for van Dijk was a steal. Robertson £8m. Salah £45m. Mane £35m. Firmino £29m.

Do you realise what you even post here? Moaning that Wolves and Bournemouth spend loads of money with their wealthy owners, whilst moaning that our wealthy owner doesn't spend loads of money.

What are you on about? 'Are you saying the difference is the ones that are doing well on the pitch'. If 'all clubs make losses' what the f*** else are you judging it on?

Would you like to give credit to teams doing poorly off the pitch but not losing as much as others? That's US!

Do you not get modern football? The point is that NO club is likely to be well run, turn a profit and be competitive because EVERY OTHER TEAM in their division is making a loss and spending money. This is partly why we were relegated. Because we were wanting to be run more efficiently and unwilling to keep up with the Jones'!
I'm not arguing with a comedy creation.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 11:32]

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:36 - Aug 2 with 878 viewsBluefish

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:31 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Jesus wept.

Do you know anything about football?

You can't work out why Liverpool, European champions and a team who just missed on the title with one defeat and points that would have won them the league in 23 of the last 25 season are well run?

Look at every player they have signed in their starting eleven and on their bench and look at what they paid and what they would go for now.

Even £75m for van Dijk was a steal. Robertson £8m. Salah £45m. Mane £35m. Firmino £29m.

Do you realise what you even post here? Moaning that Wolves and Bournemouth spend loads of money with their wealthy owners, whilst moaning that our wealthy owner doesn't spend loads of money.

What are you on about? 'Are you saying the difference is the ones that are doing well on the pitch'. If 'all clubs make losses' what the f*** else are you judging it on?

Would you like to give credit to teams doing poorly off the pitch but not losing as much as others? That's US!

Do you not get modern football? The point is that NO club is likely to be well run, turn a profit and be competitive because EVERY OTHER TEAM in their division is making a loss and spending money. This is partly why we were relegated. Because we were wanting to be run more efficiently and unwilling to keep up with the Jones'!
I'm not arguing with a comedy creation.
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 11:32]

I've got another one for you. Billericay, they've won loads of promotions so they must be well run
[Post edited 2 Aug 2019 11:41]

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:43 - Aug 2 with 855 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Marcus Evans is supposedly a businessman, and a successful one at that on 11:01 - Aug 2 by WarkTheWarkITFC

Liverpool
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
Wolves
Sheffield United
Brentford
Huddersfield
Peterborough
Accrington
Rochdale

Took me seconds.

Quite a few have been in freefall prior to their current positions.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024