Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So centre halfs 00:13 - Aug 2 with 944 viewsCoastalblue

Lots of people seem to be bemoaning the fact we haven't gone out and spent money or attempted to sign someone to step into the first team.

Yes our defence was shocking last season, but I never really expected Lambert to look beyond Nsiala, Chambers and the Wolf for our first choices meaning anybody who came in was always likely to spend a fair chunk of the season on the bench.

If we had gone out and signed somebody who would you have expected to be dropped? The club captain, or the guy we spent good money on a year ago, or the promising youngster that lots on here are tipping for a big season?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So centre halfs on 06:00 - Aug 2 with 835 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

1) we don't need to drop anyone if they are injured or suspended
2) So competition for places is a bad thing, and we wouldn't drop whoever has a loss of form?

Poll: would you rather

So centre halfs on 07:41 - Aug 2 with 689 viewsHerbivore

So centre halfs on 06:00 - Aug 2 by LegendofthePhoenix

1) we don't need to drop anyone if they are injured or suspended
2) So competition for places is a bad thing, and we wouldn't drop whoever has a loss of form?

1) We're in League 1 and can't afford to carry a large first team squad to cover for every eventuality. Both Chambers and Nsiala being unavailable is a freak occurrence. We can't sign someone of similar qualityz which would cost a lot, for the sake of one game.

2) See the first part of 1).

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So centre halfs on 08:14 - Aug 2 with 636 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So centre halfs on 07:41 - Aug 2 by Herbivore

1) We're in League 1 and can't afford to carry a large first team squad to cover for every eventuality. Both Chambers and Nsiala being unavailable is a freak occurrence. We can't sign someone of similar qualityz which would cost a lot, for the sake of one game.

2) See the first part of 1).

Hopefully it is a freak occurrence. Unfortunately, in recent seasons, unavailability of 2 players in the same position has not been as rare as it should be. That, of course, is also more likely when you have 8 players in said position.

We need a solid, consistent team that knows what they are doing and gels. Unfortunately, our tendency to pick up injuries has not helped and we need that to change if we are going to do well this season.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

So centre halfs on 08:16 - Aug 2 with 628 viewschicoazul

I'd expect them to compete with one another and for the 2 best ones to play & be challenged by the other 2 considering that's exactly how football works.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So centre halfs on 08:44 - Aug 2 with 577 viewsCoastalblue

So centre halfs on 08:16 - Aug 2 by chicoazul

I'd expect them to compete with one another and for the 2 best ones to play & be challenged by the other 2 considering that's exactly how football works.

Is it?

Where does potential equate into that scenario?
Would you not at times choose to select a slightly weaker player for a run of games who is young and has potential with the knowledge that he is likely to end up better than your other options longer term?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

So centre halfs on 08:48 - Aug 2 with 566 viewschicoazul

So centre halfs on 08:44 - Aug 2 by Coastalblue

Is it?

Where does potential equate into that scenario?
Would you not at times choose to select a slightly weaker player for a run of games who is young and has potential with the knowledge that he is likely to end up better than your other options longer term?

You would have to ask yourself what's best for the clubs' immediate goals. If Wilson is playing well, we keep clean sheets and win games, IMVHO it would be madness to drop him for Woolfenden just because Woolfenden may be really good in a year.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

So centre halfs on 09:06 - Aug 2 with 527 viewstonybied

So centre halfs on 08:48 - Aug 2 by chicoazul

You would have to ask yourself what's best for the clubs' immediate goals. If Wilson is playing well, we keep clean sheets and win games, IMVHO it would be madness to drop him for Woolfenden just because Woolfenden may be really good in a year.

But then you'll halt Woolfendens development and he most likely won't be "a great player in a year".

If we want our own players to become better we have to give them first team opportunities and be patient with them otherwise we might as well just scrap the academy, as it's extremely rare you discover a youngster who slots straight into a senior team and is consistently good.
So centre halfs on 09:15 - Aug 2 with 517 viewsNthsuffolkblue

So centre halfs on 09:06 - Aug 2 by tonybied

But then you'll halt Woolfendens development and he most likely won't be "a great player in a year".

If we want our own players to become better we have to give them first team opportunities and be patient with them otherwise we might as well just scrap the academy, as it's extremely rare you discover a youngster who slots straight into a senior team and is consistently good.

It is getting the balance right isn't it (and managing the people involved well too).

No player should be so complacent he is careless about his performances. No player should be so nervous that they think one mistake will see them out of the team.

A consistent team selection helps the team to perform consistently. It is not a coincidence that promoted teams often use far fewer players than relegated teams. Of course, it is also easier not to drop players that are performing well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024