Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Webster 20m 13:17 - Aug 1 with 3716 viewsWestcountryblue

It's incredibly frustrating to see a club like Bristol City cash potentially 25m for Adam Webster. In terms of our size, backing, infrastructure we are a bigger club than City, but are a real soft touch when any sizeable bid being tabled for any of our players. Fair play to City though for saying early on in the summer that they want 30m.

Whereas the Webster deal we negotiated and more so the Tommy Smith deal to Colorado Rapids underline a real naivety and lack of business acumen...letting a seasoned Championship CB with nearly 300 games under his belt go essentially on a gap year for free because it was a 'great opportunity for the lad'. The championship is one of the biggest leagues in the world commercially.

Same with Mings, probably a case of holding on to him for another season and slapping another 5m on his price tag at the end of the season rather than being lulled in by 1 good loanee and an average striker.

I think Lambert is a more straight shooter when it comes to playing hard ball in terms of negotiations, and it's pleasing to see us show more resolve with Judge and Dozzell.
Webster 20m on 19:33 - Aug 1 with 272 viewsWhymarkmariner

When Town attracted an average gate of 26,000 they had 10 Internationals in the team. Hardly compare the motley crew we have now with then. I would be amazed if Town ever in the future average 26,000 unless by some miracle they achieve Premier League status.Over the years they have alienated so many fans with boring tepid football and the sell on sight philosophy of the owner has only made even more fans believe that he is more concerned with keeping losses down to a minimum than trying to achieve something. I know of many people, including myself, who couldn't wait for match day at PR. Many including myself have found other things to do on a Saturday and have never returned to PR. If you want to sell something to people the art is to make it appealing, unfortunately PR is not appealing to enough people. How many seasons have Town sold really decent players or let them go only to replace them with crocks and has beens. Not in my opinion a recipe for success on and off the field.
Webster 20m on 19:36 - Aug 1 with 265 viewsHerbivore

Webster 20m on 19:33 - Aug 1 by Whymarkmariner

When Town attracted an average gate of 26,000 they had 10 Internationals in the team. Hardly compare the motley crew we have now with then. I would be amazed if Town ever in the future average 26,000 unless by some miracle they achieve Premier League status.Over the years they have alienated so many fans with boring tepid football and the sell on sight philosophy of the owner has only made even more fans believe that he is more concerned with keeping losses down to a minimum than trying to achieve something. I know of many people, including myself, who couldn't wait for match day at PR. Many including myself have found other things to do on a Saturday and have never returned to PR. If you want to sell something to people the art is to make it appealing, unfortunately PR is not appealing to enough people. How many seasons have Town sold really decent players or let them go only to replace them with crocks and has beens. Not in my opinion a recipe for success on and off the field.

When have we ever not been a selling club? We've always been relatively small fry compared to the big boys and have always sold our best players. The reason people have stopped going is because we aren't very good and haven't been for a while and people only want to follow the Town when we're doing well. That's why attendances got a bump the play off season and the season after before dipping again.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Webster 20m on 21:30 - Aug 1 with 231 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 19:00 - Aug 1 by BrixtonBlue

This is all very lovely in hindsight.

Mings cost us £10k and we sold him for what, £6/7m?! How anyone can say that's not an amazing deal is beyond me. Probably the best deal in our history.

You mess up your own argument with McGoldrick. "He was older and 7m was as good as it was ever going to get for him." By the logic you've placed on other players' deals we should have sold him then!

As others have said, the market has exploded since these sales. Some we get right, some we could've got more. It is what it is.

It really doesn't matter that we brought him for 10k. It's all down to age and potential.

I think my argument was pretty clear. It's worth waiting and having a real firm stance on 'younger, English players' like Webster, Cresswell, and Mings. I don't think it takes a genius to work out that values for these types of players will only appreciate, where as there is a ceiling for the likes of McGoldrick, Murphy etc...and thus their contribution and overall value to the team needs to be assessed.
Webster 20m on 21:31 - Aug 1 with 231 viewsWestcountryblue

Webster 20m on 19:08 - Aug 1 by Herbivore

I see you follow the crystal ball method for judging transfer business.

Well, if you look on the first page I did call it last year with Webster.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024