Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This Irish border malarkey! 19:47 - Jul 31 with 1485 viewsbluejacko

https://capx.co/best-of-2018-how-to-fix-the-irish-border-problem/
Here is a independent look at the problem!
This Irish border malarkey! on 19:50 - Jul 31 with 1468 viewsSpruceMoose

Independent but not unbiased, like most media outlets founded by pressure groups!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:06 - Jul 31 with 1429 viewsEwan_Oozami

Capx is funded by various disaster capitalist groups who want to make a rich living out of other people's misery. Whenever I see these articles, I always think, "Who benefits?" - very rarely is it the average person in the street who will benefit from what these pressure groups put forward.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:14 - Jul 31 with 1410 viewsbluejacko

All well and good but what has he said that could not be implemented? Perhaps you could also explain where he has got his facts wrong.
This Irish border malarkey! on 20:18 - Jul 31 with 1405 viewsfactual_blue

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:06 - Jul 31 by Ewan_Oozami

Capx is funded by various disaster capitalist groups who want to make a rich living out of other people's misery. Whenever I see these articles, I always think, "Who benefits?" - very rarely is it the average person in the street who will benefit from what these pressure groups put forward.

Any organisation based in Tufton Street is not 'independent', but very closely allied to the hard brexit movement.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:22 - Jul 31 with 1388 viewsSteve_M

Ah, Shankar Singham pushing the same plan as he has for the last two years.

Next....

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:32 - Jul 31 with 1363 viewsgordon

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:14 - Jul 31 by bluejacko

All well and good but what has he said that could not be implemented? Perhaps you could also explain where he has got his facts wrong.

Why are we making such a fuss about the backstop if there are solutions ready to go? The backstop would only be implemented if this sort of thing wasn't ready / working.
This Irish border malarkey! on 20:39 - Jul 31 with 1342 viewsbluejacko

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:32 - Jul 31 by gordon

Why are we making such a fuss about the backstop if there are solutions ready to go? The backstop would only be implemented if this sort of thing wasn't ready / working.

It’s working already! If you read the article basically the only difference to now would be any tariffs that may or not be applied.
This Irish border malarkey! on 20:40 - Jul 31 with 1340 viewsSwansea_Blue

Shanker Singham independent

Oh yes, I’m sure the fully paid up Vote Leave lapdog is completely independent

Response here, with link to detailed response at the end - https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2018/04/07/how-not-to-fix-the-irish-border-pr

Summary - it’s as ill thought through as the rest of his Brexit stuff.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:41 - Jul 31 with 1337 viewsEwan_Oozami

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:32 - Jul 31 by gordon

That is the whole point, there aren't any solutions ready to go..

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:44 - Jul 31 with 1331 viewsgordon

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:39 - Jul 31 by bluejacko

It’s working already! If you read the article basically the only difference to now would be any tariffs that may or not be applied.

So why have so many Brexit supporters complained about the backstop? If we already know the backstop will never be needed because a solution is ready, then isn't the best thing to do to vote through the Withdrawal Agreement?
This Irish border malarkey! on 20:44 - Jul 31 with 1329 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:41 - Jul 31 by Ewan_Oozami

That’s rather good. I spot a grownup - haven’t seen many of those around lately.

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:50 - Jul 31 with 1322 viewsSwansea_Blue

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:39 - Jul 31 by bluejacko

It’s not working in the way it would need to work, that’s the whole point. There’s a world of difference between a legislative boundary where council services differ on each side (with no flows across it) and an international boundary. His fundamental reasoning is wrong.

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:53 - Jul 31 with 1311 viewsgordon

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:41 - Jul 31 by Ewan_Oozami

Yes, but the position expressed by lots of brexiters, and in that article is a Catch-22 - the backstop can only be removed from the agreement if a replacement exists, but if a replacement exists there is no point in removing the backstop (because it wouldn't be needed).
This Irish border malarkey! on 21:00 - Jul 31 with 1296 viewsbluejacko

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:50 - Jul 31 by Swansea_Blue

It’s not working in the way it would need to work, that’s the whole point. There’s a world of difference between a legislative boundary where council services differ on each side (with no flows across it) and an international boundary. His fundamental reasoning is wrong.

How can there be no flows? There is an international border there! And all tax’s have to be paid before loads are tipped. All done electronically and it works. Why can that not be used even as an interim measure till a permanent solution is found.
This Irish border malarkey! on 21:09 - Jul 31 with 1276 viewsEwan_Oozami

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:53 - Jul 31 by gordon

Yes, but the position expressed by lots of brexiters, and in that article is a Catch-22 - the backstop can only be removed from the agreement if a replacement exists, but if a replacement exists there is no point in removing the backstop (because it wouldn't be needed).

Why is why it's such an intractable issue - and one which many people in the classic Anglo-centric world-view, didn't even consider before the referendum!

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:14 - Jul 31 with 1266 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This Irish border malarkey! on 19:50 - Jul 31 by SpruceMoose

Independent but not unbiased, like most media outlets founded by pressure groups!

and it says the answer is for the UK to remain within the customs union.

I thought we all knew that already. It is an unnecessarily long article to state that.

Here is Sinn Fein's impartial take on the situation if a no deal were to occur. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/sinn-féin-vote-on-irish-reunification-m

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:24 - Jul 31 with 1245 viewsbluejacko

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:14 - Jul 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

and it says the answer is for the UK to remain within the customs union.

I thought we all knew that already. It is an unnecessarily long article to state that.

Here is Sinn Fein's impartial take on the situation if a no deal were to occur. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/sinn-féin-vote-on-irish-reunification-m

Nope says nothing of the sort! If we call the Carpx report biased what the hell is SF’s.
Still waiting for someone to actually point out what facts are wrong in the article!
This Irish border malarkey! on 21:31 - Jul 31 with 1225 viewsNthsuffolkblue

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:24 - Jul 31 by bluejacko

Nope says nothing of the sort! If we call the Carpx report biased what the hell is SF’s.
Still waiting for someone to actually point out what facts are wrong in the article!

What solution does it say there is without remaining in the customs union because that appeared to be their initial premise?

Yes, of course Sinn Fein's is biased. About as unbiased as Carpx.

But they are also the political wing of the terror groups that will be active again if they don't get their way. They are clearly stating failure to have that referendum would break the Good Friday agreement in the event of no deal. Holding a referendum at all would potentially reignite the terror groups on the other side.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:40 - Jul 31 with 1198 viewsfactual_blue

This Irish border malarkey! on 20:14 - Jul 31 by bluejacko

He admits the solution is in a no-tariffs agreement with the EU, ignoring how long that will take to negotiate.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

This Irish border malarkey! on 22:05 - Jul 31 with 1162 viewsSwansea_Blue

He also dismisses movement of people, suggesting we could simply have an open border to the EU. Great. But that’s exactly what brexiteers have campaigned against.

My point about no flows was in response to his opening gambit about services, education, health provision, etc. I *think* he’s trying to plant the seed there that these functions show we already have a functioning border, a solution. But they involve no flows so are irrelevant to a post-Brexit situation (depending on what that looks like).

This Irish border malarkey! on 22:06 - Jul 31 with 1158 viewsgosblue

I don’t usually get involved in political posts because of the usual vitriol that’s involved but this seems quite civilised so far.
I, like many others failed to see the need for an Irish border or a backstop agreement. However, Simon Coveney, the Irish deputy PM put across a fair counter-argument on Andrew Marr last weekend. He insisted that the ROI would not jeopardise their relationship or indeed their membership of the EU just to avoid upsetting the Uk.
This Irish border malarkey! on 22:11 - Jul 31 with 1145 viewsSwansea_Blue

I gave you a link to a response from someone more versed in this than (I suspect) any of us. Feel free to read it. I don’t see the point of simply quoting it; best to get it from the horses mouth (no offence to the author!).

This Irish border malarkey! on 00:21 - Aug 1 with 1075 viewsBlueBadger

This Irish border malarkey! on 21:40 - Jul 31 by factual_blue

He admits the solution is in a no-tariffs agreement with the EU, ignoring how long that will take to negotiate.

Isn't the main way to achieve a no-tariffs arrangement acorss borders with EU countries to actually BE an EU country?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

This Irish border malarkey! on 07:29 - Aug 1 with 959 viewsOldsmoker

In principle this would work but for one small detail.
Everybody must obey the law.
No smugglers, no people traffickers, no banned goods, no counterfeit goods, no undervaluing goods to pay less VAT, no mislabelling to avoid VAT etc. etc.

Brexit is likely to cause prices to rise. If you can buy it cheaper on the black market then people will do so. Once people start using the black market then the black market will expand and a general state of lawlessness creeps in. That's not good for Ireland knowing its history, especially at a time when the Irish people have put that way of life behind them thanks mainly to the GFA.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024