Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
WWII book help - holiday reading edition 08:21 - Jul 28 with 2434 viewsartsbossbeard

I was listening to Johnny Vaughan on Radio X and he mentioned a WWII book, which was written by a Third Reich Commander after the war that detailed Hitler's big strategical errors and blamed the German losses at Dunkirk on Hitler's adoration of all things British and hatred for the Soviet system - more soldiers detailed to the east rather than sent to Dunkirk.

Long shot, but does anyone know of this book/author/title?

Thanks in advance.

ABB

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:38 - Jul 28 with 2049 viewsurbanblue

Don't know about this one but if you want to an absolutely fantastic read centered around the war I cannot recommend HHhH by Laurent Binet enough. It's a novalisation of the assassination of Heydrich and a lot more ...

Superb stuff for your holiday mate!
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:39 - Jul 28 with 2036 viewsartsbossbeard

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:38 - Jul 28 by urbanblue

Don't know about this one but if you want to an absolutely fantastic read centered around the war I cannot recommend HHhH by Laurent Binet enough. It's a novalisation of the assassination of Heydrich and a lot more ...

That sounds right up my strasse!

Cheers mate, super!

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:46 - Jul 28 with 2017 viewsWD19

Sounds like a good one.

My holidays recently have been heavy on Anthony Beevor. Always very well written and his knowledge is second to none.

Probably more for the common man than an aficionado such you though.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:47 - Jul 28 with 2018 viewsPlums

Can I also recommend the excellent ‘We have ways of making you talk’ podcast with Al Murray and historian James Holland’. Superb analysis and WWII myth busting.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:53 - Jul 28 with 2010 viewsFtnfwest

Guderian wrote an autobiography called ‘panzer leader’ and was the only prominently involved general that survived the war, although only for a few years. The panzer division were successful out of all expectation during the battle of France but typically penetrated many miles without support and relied on the defenders to panic and run in confusion, which they did! The tanks at Dunkirk we’re well beyond support and I imagine he didn’t want to lose too much hardware given what he had in mind on the eastern front the following year so halted them while support arrived (that and Goering convincing him to leave it to the Luftwaffe!
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:00 - Jul 28 with 1997 viewsGuthrum

Not quite the case, there was no war in the east in 1940, Germany was still allied to the Soviets through the Molotov-Ribbbentrop pact of the previous year.

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian (Erinnerungen eines Soldaten in the original German) is the autobiography of the man who planned and led the crucial breakthrough during the invasion of France and the Low Countries in 1940. Like all autobiogs by public figures (especially those with reason to try shifting blame), should be taken with a small pinch of salt, but very good nonetheless.

Panzer Battles by F W von Mellenthin is a very detailed memoir by a man who was one of Rommel's senior staff officers in North Africa (but covers the whole war).

Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel deals with his experiences in the First World War in great detail, tho is more of a technical work on tactics.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:09 - Jul 28 with 1967 viewsGuthrum

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:00 - Jul 28 by Guthrum

Not quite the case, there was no war in the east in 1940, Germany was still allied to the Soviets through the Molotov-Ribbbentrop pact of the previous year.

Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian (Erinnerungen eines Soldaten in the original German) is the autobiography of the man who planned and led the crucial breakthrough during the invasion of France and the Low Countries in 1940. Like all autobiogs by public figures (especially those with reason to try shifting blame), should be taken with a small pinch of salt, but very good nonetheless.

Panzer Battles by F W von Mellenthin is a very detailed memoir by a man who was one of Rommel's senior staff officers in North Africa (but covers the whole war).

Infantry Attacks by Erwin Rommel deals with his experiences in the First World War in great detail, tho is more of a technical work on tactics.

There is also Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein, the man whose plan for the campaign in the West was the one actually adopted in 1940 (particularly after the Mechelen Incident). I haven't read it in full and its historical reliability has been strongly questioned since publication.

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:16 - Jul 28 with 1956 viewsGuthrum

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:53 - Jul 28 by Ftnfwest

Guderian wrote an autobiography called ‘panzer leader’ and was the only prominently involved general that survived the war, although only for a few years. The panzer division were successful out of all expectation during the battle of France but typically penetrated many miles without support and relied on the defenders to panic and run in confusion, which they did! The tanks at Dunkirk we’re well beyond support and I imagine he didn’t want to lose too much hardware given what he had in mind on the eastern front the following year so halted them while support arrived (that and Goering convincing him to leave it to the Luftwaffe!

It was more the German high command panicking about the armoured spearhead being cut off by attacks on the thin corridor behind them and wiped out. Unfortunately, disorganisation and lack of effective Franco-British cooperation, combined with the confusion and alarm caused by fast-moving German attacks deep into the Allied rear areas, prevented that from ever happening (altho in the Battle of Arras, a weak counterattack nearly threw the whole offensive into chaos).

Essentially, the Germans were terrified by their own success and lost their nerve.

Login to get fewer ads

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:21 - Jul 28 with 1945 viewsGuthrum

Filmed as The Man With The Iron Heart. Not seen it, but will do well to match the hard-hitting Anthropoid, released about the same time. Me and the mate who went to see it came out of the cinema quite shell-shocked, not for the squeamish or faint-hearted.

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:30 - Jul 28 with 1920 viewsBloomBlue

Two WWII books I can recommend are The Second World War by Antony Beevor and Life and fate by Vasily Grossman. Actually all of Beevor's books on WWII are great reading.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:45 - Jul 28 with 1891 viewsFtnfwest

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:09 - Jul 28 by Guthrum

There is also Lost Victories by Erich von Manstein, the man whose plan for the campaign in the West was the one actually adopted in 1940 (particularly after the Mechelen Incident). I haven't read it in full and its historical reliability has been strongly questioned since publication.

Lloyd Clark’s book on Kursk is a good read. The opening chapters include detail on Mansteins tactics during the retreat from the Stalingrad front after the Russian counter attack which were incredibly successful given the circumstances, essentially luring the Russian army group which was attacking headlong at the time into a huge trap. That was against hitlers wishes at the time who didn’t want to concede an inch of ground, so he did well to carry it off and stabilised the front for 6 months.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 10:58 - Jul 28 with 1835 viewslinhdi

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 08:53 - Jul 28 by Ftnfwest

Guerin even gets rechecked in Al Stewart's wonderful "Roads to Moscow" song, which tells the story of WW2 as seen through the eyes of a Russian infantryman. He has on occasion explained it as being inspired by, and a prequel to, Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" , and it certainly fits that equally epic tale.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:02 - Jul 28 with 1827 viewsSarge

You could listen again in case he mentioned it before you tuned in.

https://www.globalplayer.com/catchup/radiox/uk
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:12 - Jul 28 with 1810 viewsbrogansnose

Not answering your question at all Beardy but, I can reccomend these ;

All of them are about the end of the WW2 and emminently readable.

Armageddon & Nemesis both by Max Hastings, the first about the end of the Reich and the second about the fall of Japan.

The End : Germany 1944 - 45 by Ian Kershaw

Berlin: Downfall by Anthony Beevor. I'm not so kean on his books but I like the subject matter. The ones by Hastings and Kershaw are excellent, think Downfall the film but more so.

The Seige of Kohima by Fergal Keane is a great read too of a largely forgotten theatre.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:17 - Jul 28 with 1799 viewsfooters

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:12 - Jul 28 by brogansnose

Armageddon & Nemesis both by Max Hastings, the first about the end of the Reich and the second about the fall of Japan.

Berlin: Downfall by Anthony Beevor. I'm not so kean on his books but I like the subject matter. The ones by Hastings and Kershaw are excellent, think Downfall the film but more so.

The Seige of Kohima by Fergal Keane is a great read too of a largely forgotten theatre.

I'm taking this even further off tangent now...

Funeral Rites by Genet. Possibly my favourite semi-fictional autobiography ever. Not much competition in that field, admittedly!

It tells the story of Genet's lover in the Parisienne resistance during the closing months of the war. If you like reading about Nazis shagging each other or life at the barricades as a French communist it's incredible.

You'll also learn how to kill a cat with a pillowcase.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:22 - Jul 28 with 1789 viewsbrogansnose

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:17 - Jul 28 by footers

I'm taking this even further off tangent now...

Funeral Rites by Genet. Possibly my favourite semi-fictional autobiography ever. Not much competition in that field, admittedly!

It tells the story of Genet's lover in the Parisienne resistance during the closing months of the war. If you like reading about Nazis shagging each other or life at the barricades as a French communist it's incredible.

You'll also learn how to kill a cat with a pillowcase.

Sounds good fella, I'll give that a go.

See also Iron in The Soul by Sartre.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:36 - Jul 28 with 1774 viewsSporall

Not answering your question, but this is a good, but short read:
Tiger Tracks by Wolfgang Faust
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:44 - Jul 28 with 1755 viewsFtnfwest

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 11:12 - Jul 28 by brogansnose

Have read the last one you mention brogs, indeed a very good read, lot of brutality
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 12:08 - Jul 28 with 1727 viewsFreddies_Ears

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 10:58 - Jul 28 by linhdi

Guerin even gets rechecked in Al Stewart's wonderful "Roads to Moscow" song, which tells the story of WW2 as seen through the eyes of a Russian infantryman. He has on occasion explained it as being inspired by, and a prequel to, Solzhenitsyn's "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" , and it certainly fits that equally epic tale.

Edit, Guderian. Flippin' autocorrect.
WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:13 - Jul 29 with 1566 viewsartsbossbeard

Found it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Squandered-Reich-Reinhard-Spitzy/dp/0859552497/ref=

*checks ebay for secondhand options*

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:14 - Jul 29 with 1564 viewsfooters

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:13 - Jul 29 by artsbossbeard

Found it:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Squandered-Reich-Reinhard-Spitzy/dp/0859552497/ref=

Use abebooks.co.uk instead buh. Word to the wise...

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:24 - Jul 29 with 1547 viewsSamuelowen88

I can highly recommend

Beneath a Scarlet Sky, based on true story about an Italian teenager who ends up working for the resistance and helps smuggles Jews out of Italy.

Poll: England v Wales Score

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:30 - Jul 29 with 1538 viewsGeoffSentence

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:13 - Jul 29 by artsbossbeard

Found it:

£126 does seem quite steep for paperback copy.

Tried borrowing it from your local library?

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:32 - Jul 29 with 1535 viewsartsbossbeard

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:30 - Jul 29 by GeoffSentence

£126 does seem quite steep for paperback copy.

Tried borrowing it from your local library?

No, but I'll give it a look see.

Not sure if they'd want it returned when covered in carrot oil from my sunbathing though..

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:33 - Jul 29 with 1533 viewsGeoffSentence

WWII book help - holiday reading edition on 09:32 - Jul 29 by artsbossbeard

No, but I'll give it a look see.

Not sure if they'd want it returned when covered in carrot oil from my sunbathing though..

That's is something to consider, you may end up paying the £126 to replace the book anyway

https://suffolk.spydus.co.uk/cgi-bin/spydus.exe/ENQ/OPAC/BIBENQ?BRN=392634

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024