Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jury service 16:45 - Jul 26 with 2538 viewsfooters

Hi TWTD,

Just received my first jury summons. Who's done it, what should I expect?

Obviously varies case by case but anything to note?

I'm quite excited by it, actually.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Jury service on 16:47 - Jul 26 with 2171 viewsStokieBlue

Lets hope it's not an aristocratic type.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 with 2164 viewswkj

Glad you finally get to meet Tommy Robinson, make crunchie proud buh

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 with 2158 viewsfooters

Jury service on 16:47 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

SB

I'm reading De Sade at the moment, weirdly enough.

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 with 2159 viewsKieran_Knows

Yes, I done it in September 2017. Quite enjoyed it to be honest. Had 2 cases within my 2 weeks, first one was only a day, the second one lasted 4 days.

It's really good, but can be boring as you do sometimes sit there all day for them to say you're not needed, whereas other days they do let you go really early.

Still, enjoy!
[Post edited 26 Jul 2019 16:49]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jury service on 16:56 - Jul 26 with 2109 viewsfooters

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Yes, I done it in September 2017. Quite enjoyed it to be honest. Had 2 cases within my 2 weeks, first one was only a day, the second one lasted 4 days.

It's really good, but can be boring as you do sometimes sit there all day for them to say you're not needed, whereas other days they do let you go really early.

Still, enjoy!

I guess they let you know a while in advance if it's going to be split up like that?

Cheers for the info!

Jury service on 16:57 - Jul 26 with 2097 viewschicoazul

Some members of my extended family did jury service on a particularly nasty gangland case and had to have the OB sat outside their house for 3 months afterwards. Good luck!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Jury service on 16:59 - Jul 26 with 2081 viewsKieran_Knows

Jury service on 16:56 - Jul 26 by footers

I guess they let you know a while in advance if it's going to be split up like that?

Cheers for the info!

You literally turn up each day, and then a certain number of people (think its 10) get picked at random and then the case begins.

Some people I was there with didn't have any cases within 2 weeks, while some had like 4/5 (although 2/3 of them were only 1 day cases).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jury service on 16:59 - Jul 26 with 2083 viewsfactual_blue

It was a hot afternoon and the victim was giving evidence.

'And what happened next?' asked prosecuting counsel.

'The defendant,' said the witness rather haltingly, 'said he...he wanted ... to....'
The witness came to a halt, composed herself, and said 'I'm sorry your honour, but I'm too embarrassed to use his actual words.'

'I understand,' said the judge. 'The clerk will give you a pen and paper and you can write them down for the jury to read.'.

This was duly done, and folded paper was passed along the jury members.

A pretty blonde juror halfway along the back row realised the chap next to her had nodded off in the heat. She nudged his elbow gently. He woke, took the piece of paper, unfolded it, read it and, with a smile and a wink at the blonde, put it in his shirt pocket.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Jury service on 17:03 - Jul 26 with 2052 viewsfooters

Jury service on 16:59 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

You literally turn up each day, and then a certain number of people (think its 10) get picked at random and then the case begins.

Some people I was there with didn't have any cases within 2 weeks, while some had like 4/5 (although 2/3 of them were only 1 day cases).

Bloody hell. My office isn't going to be happy with this at all.

Jury service on 17:05 - Jul 26 with 2046 viewsDubtractor

Never done jury service, but have been in 2 ID parades.

Back when I was about 20 I had long hair in a ponytail and evidently looked a bit of a geezer!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Jury service on 17:14 - Jul 26 with 2003 viewsReuser_is_God

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 by Kieran_Knows

Still, enjoy!

Missus just finished her 1st week, 0 cases she’s fuming.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Jury service on 17:15 - Jul 26 with 2004 viewsITFC_Forever

I done it in around 1997, when I was only 22. Missed the trial of the Millwall fans who re-arranged PR and a number of our fans after the last game of the 1995-96 season by a week.

At the start of the case, you will be asked if you know anyone who appears as a defendant / witness and you must inform the court immediately if you do. Similarly, if you drink in a certain pub (where a scrap might have happened for example), then you must declare it - basically anything that may mean you could be seen to not be an independent witness.

Need to pay attention to some of the detail of the case, but there can be times where you're sitting around while they discuss the legal technicalities of the case (jury is not required in court when then do this).

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Jury service on 17:18 - Jul 26 with 1991 viewsfooters

Jury service on 17:14 - Jul 26 by Reuser_is_God

Missus just finished her 1st week, 0 cases she’s fuming.

Let me get this right... You take two weeks off work, turn up at court every day and wait to see if you'll get picked like the fat kid on sports day?

Jury service on 17:26 - Jul 26 with 1965 viewsfactual_blue

Jury service on 17:15 - Jul 26 by ITFC_Forever

I done it in around 1997, when I was only 22. Missed the trial of the Millwall fans who re-arranged PR and a number of our fans after the last game of the 1995-96 season by a week.

At the start of the case, you will be asked if you know anyone who appears as a defendant / witness and you must inform the court immediately if you do. Similarly, if you drink in a certain pub (where a scrap might have happened for example), then you must declare it - basically anything that may mean you could be seen to not be an independent witness.

Need to pay attention to some of the detail of the case, but there can be times where you're sitting around while they discuss the legal technicalities of the case (jury is not required in court when then do this).

I was at court once (in an official capacity) when a very harassed looking court official appeared, trying to find if there was a judge in the building who didn't own shares in a local company that was being prosecuted.

Jury service on 17:27 - Jul 26 with 1961 viewsfactual_blue

Jury service on 17:18 - Jul 26 by footers

Let me get this right... You take two weeks off work, turn up at court every day and wait to see if you'll get picked like the fat kid on sports day?

Yes. And if you haven't got your rugby shorts, you'll have to play in your pants.

Jury service on 17:30 - Jul 26 with 1944 viewsJ2BLUE

Is there any way to get out of it? Need to know for future reference.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jury service on 17:31 - Jul 26 with 1939 viewsSpruceMoose

Jury service on 17:30 - Jul 26 by J2BLUE

Is there any way to get out of it? Need to know for future reference.

Go in and be bigoted or discriminatory in your answers. They'll get shot quickly.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Jury service on 17:32 - Jul 26 with 1934 viewsJ2BLUE

Jury service on 17:31 - Jul 26 by SpruceMoose

Go in and be bigoted or discriminatory in your answers. They'll get shot quickly.

Good tip. I'll claim to hate everyone equally.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Jury service on 17:34 - Jul 26 with 1931 viewsBloomBlue

The underage rape case with all the photos etc wasn't a case I would want to do again as a juror.

I've done it 4 times now although on the 2nd time I wasnt picked for a single case

I do know someone who was on the jury in a burglary case involving guns and a couple of guys on the jury were beaten up by friends of the defendant after leaving the court. But that's very rare.

Enjoy it
Jury service on 17:48 - Jul 26 with 1883 viewsfooters

Jury service on 17:27 - Jul 26 by factual_blue

Yes. And if you haven't got your rugby shorts, you'll have to play in your pants.

Easy, fella. You did't work for the beeb, did you?

Jury service on 17:50 - Jul 26 with 1889 viewsSitfcB

I’ve done it, was quite interesting.

Had one case for the whole first week, got told on the Friday wasn’t needed for the next week, was gutted.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Jury service on 17:51 - Jul 26 with 1876 viewsSitfcB

Jury service on 17:18 - Jul 26 by footers

They might even tell you on the first day that you aren’t needed at all for the two weeks!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Jury service on 20:14 - Jul 26 with 1710 viewsStokieBlue

Jury service on 16:48 - Jul 26 by footers

I'm reading De Sade at the moment, weirdly enough.

Harsh downer there!

We both know you were looking up 18th century guillotine plans as soon as you opened the envelope jay on the off chance.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Jury service on 20:30 - Jul 26 with 1682 viewsFreddies_Ears

I did it years ago in my student days. Only got on one case, it was mildly interesting. Jury was split 50-50 between "hang him, he's guilty"(men) and "he's such a nice kid, he couldn't have done it" (women). We went to 10-2 after half a day of arguments, found him guilty, and then the long list of previous was revealed.
Jury service on 20:57 - Jul 26 with 1644 viewsBackToRussia

Jury service on 16:47 - Jul 26 by StokieBlue

SB

There'd be no need for a trial, then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024