Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A question about electric cars 11:11 - Jul 20 with 2734 viewstractorian

In mid-winter, what effect do rear window demisters and heaters (as just two examples of extra loadings) have on duration/mileage? Similarly, what about mid-summer air conditioning?
A question about electric cars on 11:21 - Jul 20 with 2698 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Insignificant. Rear window demister is just a few 10s of watts, air con is maybe a couple hundred watts. One horsepower is 760 watts. Your power to drive the car around takes on average (around town) say 20 hp, or 15kw. This the electrical accessories are less than 1% of the power required to drive around.

Poll: would you rather

A question about electric cars on 11:33 - Jul 20 with 2679 viewsartsbossbeard

A question about electric cars on 11:21 - Jul 20 by LegendofthePhoenix

Insignificant. Rear window demister is just a few 10s of watts, air con is maybe a couple hundred watts. One horsepower is 760 watts. Your power to drive the car around takes on average (around town) say 20 hp, or 15kw. This the electrical accessories are less than 1% of the power required to drive around.

As an anecdote, the electric version of the Audi Q7 isn't currently fit for service by all accounts.

It's much too big of a beast to be run on electric and the illustrated 300 mile range was proven false when a friend of mine trialled one from the Ipswich Audi garage and it run out of juice in Birmingham following a single trip from Ipswich (circa 160 miles).

A 1hr stop at a service station provided a 80 mile boost and the resultant trip back to Ipswich took over 6hr with 3 more stops for leccy (one of the service stations that featured on the in-car Sat Nav that they had chargers actually didn't).

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

A question about electric cars on 11:57 - Jul 20 with 2649 viewsElephantintheRoom

Compared to the running cost, depreciation and fact that no electric car on sale at present is fit for purpose - utterly insignificant. If you want to save the world your own mind buy a new generation diesel - or better still a car that physically already exists ie a second hand one diesel or petrol .

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A question about electric cars on 12:18 - Jul 20 with 2618 viewsBlueBadger

A question about electric cars on 11:57 - Jul 20 by ElephantintheRoom

Compared to the running cost, depreciation and fact that no electric car on sale at present is fit for purpose - utterly insignificant. If you want to save the world your own mind buy a new generation diesel - or better still a car that physically already exists ie a second hand one diesel or petrol .

Or, don't buy a car at all and walk, cycle or public transport it.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A question about electric cars on 13:41 - Jul 20 with 2554 viewsronnyd

To my mind, electric cars can only be considered as town run abouts. If you have to travel long distances, (my youngest lives in Northumberland), so the planning of stops is a thing i don,t want to contemplate. Imagine when cars are mostly electric and you have to arrive at a service area at a exact time for your pre booked charge up. Won,t be able to go off course to see the sites on a whim. I know that some won,t agree with me but this is just my four penneth.
A question about electric cars on 13:55 - Jul 20 with 2538 viewsdickie

A question about electric cars on 13:41 - Jul 20 by ronnyd

To my mind, electric cars can only be considered as town run abouts. If you have to travel long distances, (my youngest lives in Northumberland), so the planning of stops is a thing i don,t want to contemplate. Imagine when cars are mostly electric and you have to arrive at a service area at a exact time for your pre booked charge up. Won,t be able to go off course to see the sites on a whim. I know that some won,t agree with me but this is just my four penneth.

I'd consider one; my daily commute is 35-40 miles each way so would make financial sense if the range was guaranteed to be at least 120 miles (to factor in diversions/traffic etc). However, our other car would have to be petrol (won't touch a diesel, too expensive when they go wrong)
A question about electric cars on 15:34 - Jul 20 with 2478 viewsMeadowlark

A question about electric cars on 13:55 - Jul 20 by dickie

I'd consider one; my daily commute is 35-40 miles each way so would make financial sense if the range was guaranteed to be at least 120 miles (to factor in diversions/traffic etc). However, our other car would have to be petrol (won't touch a diesel, too expensive when they go wrong)

My brother-in-law is an all-electric family now with two fully electric cars. He has had the BMW for about three years and just got a Jag. He swears by them. He regularly drives to Manchester and London and he reckons that it doesn't take much longer than it would in an ICE car. If you're going to stop for a break anyway you can charge up then.
Most of his journeys are less than 100 miles total, but the long journies aren't a problem if you plan ahead.
He is in his late 60s - if that's relevant - so has grown up without this technology, but is now a confirmed adopter.
A question about electric cars on 15:10 - Jul 21 with 2208 viewsSwansea_Blue

A question about electric cars on 11:57 - Jul 20 by ElephantintheRoom

Depends what the purpose is. As a local runaround they’re more than fit. And have lower emissions overall than a conventional vehicle (full life cycle, including manufacturing and disposal/recycling). But there are a few trade offs environmentally, especially indirect pollution associated with mining the materials for the batteries.

I wouldn’t have one as a main, but sorely tempted when we change our second car (especially as we have solar panels).

Major downsides are battery fires in the event of an accident and cost.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

A question about electric cars on 10:04 - Jul 22 with 2019 viewsipswich78

Very little impact. Most of the hybrid / electric cars have various apps that means you can control those functions whilst it's still on charge. So in the winter for example, whilst you're tucking into your Shreddies you can press a button and it'll defrost the screens for you - whilst still on charge and it'll take this power straight from the mains.

I find the whole electric car thing fascinating with so many people looking for an excuse to debunk them.

The internet. Giving idiots a voice since 1982.
Poll: The 'Cornetto' Trilogy. Which film is your number one?

A question about electric cars on 10:08 - Jul 22 with 2013 viewshampstead_blue

We test drove the BMW i3 this weekend.
Awesome!

Exposed carbon structure, suicide doors, super cool.
In black with black wheels it looks like one of the Emperor's blackest storm troopers......

Can't wait to put the order in.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

A question about electric cars on 10:21 - Jul 22 with 1984 viewsipswich78

A question about electric cars on 13:41 - Jul 20 by ronnyd

I don't think it's a case of agree / disagree. At the moment with EV it's very much horses for courses. If you're going full EV you've got to make sure it suits your needs. I took a Leaf on a two day demo a couple of years ago, and with the exception of the range it was a great car.

If, I was in a situation whereby my daily commute was 50 miles and I could guarantee a charge every day it would have been fine. However, the supposed range vs the actual range was someway out.

These cars and specifically their range are increasing every week. You only have to look at the various models from Tesla and whilst on the more expensive side that technology will filter down (much like tech does from F1 into mainstream cars). Having said that the Kia e-Niro claims a range of 282 miles and 'only' costs £33k. Even if that's 200 miles that would be much more than enough for an average driver.

A lot of the change will be behavioural which is always the hardest thing. If / when these become mainstream they will have a much longer range, and the infrastructure will be much better.

For now thought it's about the early adopters and people who want to embrace change.

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:32 - Jul 22 with 1975 viewsCoachRob

This piece from the Natural History Museum sums up the current issues with electric cars in terms of physical resources and extra electricity generation.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/press-releases/leading-scientists-set-out-res
[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 10:33]
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:58 - Jul 22 with 1944 viewsipswich78

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:32 - Jul 22 by CoachRob

This piece from the Natural History Museum sums up the current issues with electric cars in terms of physical resources and extra electricity generation.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/press-office/press-releases/leading-scientists-set-out-res
[Post edited 22 Jul 2019 10:33]

Definitely an interesting and valid piece. Yet, many people (not implying you're one of them!) are very anti EV but seem to forgot that fossil fuels are running out.

Electric Cars on 11:19 - Jul 22 with 1929 viewsTractorBell

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:58 - Jul 22 by ipswich78

Definitely an interesting and valid piece. Yet, many people (not implying you're one of them!) are very anti EV but seem to forgot that fossil fuels are running out.

We have had a plug in Hybrid (Misubishi) and an electric Car (Renault Zoe) for 4 years. The issue is that 95% of all journeys are short and both use electricity only for these. I go to Ipswich station and can manage return with the 28 miles range on the Mitsubishi. The Zoe has a realistic range of 200 miles which covers all of my wife's journeys easily. There is charging at the station and where she works and we have an external charging point at home. When we go further, the Mitsubishi runs on petrol (like a Prius) and, if you manage the journey to the main roads on electric and then cruise on the dual carriageway, is very efficient (around 50 mpg for a large SUV). The above results in much less pollution of the near environment with un-warmed up engine journeys and the electricity is becoming greener as more is generated using reusable sources and nuclear. The pollution of town centres is, perhaps, the main thing that needs attacking and batteries will become more efficient as time passes. Electric cars are NOT unfit for purpose, but should be used to their strengths.
A question about electric cars on 12:00 - Jul 22 with 1910 viewsblue62

I have one of the hybrid Golfs which I like. Not sure if I would go all electric yet, the batteries are just not good enough, but the hybrid gives a good option.

I work 17 miles from my office and get get there on a full charge (it says 28 miles but never does that much), can charge at work and get home without using any fuel.

If you stick on the air con or heating it reduces the given range from 28 - 25, nothing else turned on seems to adjust the figures that I have noticed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024