Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday 08:50 - Jul 15 with 7531 viewsSteve_M

What an incredible match, so hard-fought and so close. We had lost that twice I think, once by being always 10 runs behind where we wanted to be in the run chase and again after New Zealand's six in the Super Over. To drag it back once let alone twice was impressive, even if a bit of luck was needed.

A nice piece here anyway, just look at the reactions in the bloody Pavilion.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/14/lords-perfect-venue-greatest-one-d

Greatest one day match ever, not sure on that. but given the occasion then I suppose it is a reasonable claim.

Shall we have a thread for links of coverage?

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:04 - Jul 15 with 2121 viewsRyorry

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 08:52 - Jul 15 by homer_123

I make it three times.....Archers first ball for a wide and a free hit.

Is it a wide when the ball hits the line or was that umpire's error? (yes, I don't know the rules here!).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:07 - Jul 15 with 2115 viewsGogs

I’m still feeling emotionally drained. An epic game. That’s why I love cricket, more so than football. The play offs in 2000 were the only thing to run it close for me. People will say that cricket isn’t normally like that. True. No sport is normally like that.
But sometimes cricket can deliver a growing tension that builds into a huge crescendo, like yesterday. Never to be forgotten.

When the kiwis get their redemption, which hopefully they will, I’ll cheer them on too. Goodness knows they deserve it.
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:07 - Jul 15 with 2113 viewscaptainfantastic

Commiserations to Matt Henry. Ex st Joseph's college pupil.

Poll: player of the season so far?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:14 - Jul 15 with 2099 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 11:25 - Jul 15 by Reuser_is_God

It really wouldn't though.

I'd genuinely rather NZ won it than we shared it. How anti climatic would sharing the trophy have been?

But that's because you are a Town fan and are used to winning stuff.

I suggest Ullaa is much more about the participation.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:14 - Jul 15 with 2100 viewsOldsmoker

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 09:40 - Jul 15 by WarkTheWarkITFC

If that had been scripted in some cheesy Disney sports movie, you'd laugh at how ridiculous it was.

To get a 6 off the ball hitting Stokes bat in the last over to keep us alive, to draw and then to win in the manner that we did, with a run out, probably a 20th of a second before the batsman got home was just unreal.

To do so with Stokes being the hero after what's happened and with Archer being the hero as well, after some people thought he shouldn't be included leading up to the tournament. Insane.

It appears that the 6 should have been a 5.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/15/england-ben-stokes-mistake-umpire-

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:15 - Jul 15 with 2097 viewscaptainfantastic

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:04 - Jul 15 by Ryorry

Is it a wide when the ball hits the line or was that umpire's error? (yes, I don't know the rules here!).

On the line is fine so umpire error. And it wasn't a 'Free hit. Free hits are only granted following a no ball

Poll: player of the season so far?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:19 - Jul 15 with 2089 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:14 - Jul 15 by Oldsmoker

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/15/england-ben-stokes-mistake-umpire-

I care about that as much as I do about Kasprowicz taking his hand off the bat a fraction of a second before he gloved the last ball of Edgbaston 2005 to Jones.

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:20 - Jul 15 with 2084 viewsRyorry

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:15 - Jul 15 by captainfantastic

On the line is fine so umpire error. And it wasn't a 'Free hit. Free hits are only granted following a no ball

Aha, thanks - well that then cancels out Taufel's claim that the 6 off Stokes' bat when he was face down getting into his ground was only 5! (see OldSmoker's post & Gruadian link above).

Login to get fewer ads

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:22 - Jul 15 with 2077 viewsDyland

I was in the Dove (randomly) and couldn't effing believe it. Never witnessed anything in sport quite so intense.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:25 - Jul 15 with 2071 viewsOldsmoker

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:19 - Jul 15 by Steve_M

I care about that as much as I do about Kasprowicz taking his hand off the bat a fraction of a second before he gloved the last ball of Edgbaston 2005 to Jones.

And so do I.
The umpires made their call - discussion over.
No refunds.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:01 - Jul 15 with 2030 viewsRyorry

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 09:35 - Jul 15 by Steve_M

Barney Ronay is, as ever, worth reading:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/jul/14/england-win-cricket-world-cup-and-

Great piece of writing.

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:02 - Jul 15 with 2026 viewsRyorry

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 10:26 - Jul 15 by Steve_M

And this is lovely:

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/108959/icc-cricket-world-cup-2019-england-

Yeah, that's why we watch sport and why all the crap days count merely as a reason to enjoy the good ones even more.

"Lord's swaying like the Pyramid Stage at Glastonbury rather than the hushed hum of a private members club. "

Haha - beautiful!

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:02 - Jul 15 with 2025 viewsGuthrum

If they're going to play that sort of game, it is by no means impossible the Rashid - a decent striker of the ball - may then have put the ball over the boundary and won the game outright, rather than an exhausted Stokes only being able to find (effectively) a couple of singles at the cost of two run-outs.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:24 - Jul 15 with 2004 viewsgordon

For what it's worth, the means of selecting a winner was ridiculous. If you have a tied super-over, you should have another super-over with the batsmen involved in the first super-over replaced. Continue until you have a winner. Going on boundaries hit during the match is nonsensical. See article below, I don't agree with the idea of shared winners though:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/a-farcical-unnecessary-way-to-lose-a-world-
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:30 - Jul 15 with 1992 viewsSteve_M

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:24 - Jul 15 by gordon

For what it's worth, the means of selecting a winner was ridiculous. If you have a tied super-over, you should have another super-over with the batsmen involved in the first super-over replaced. Continue until you have a winner. Going on boundaries hit during the match is nonsensical. See article below, I don't agree with the idea of shared winners though:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/a-farcical-unnecessary-way-to-lose-a-world-

There are far worse ways to decide sporting contests:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/heads-you-lose-when-liverpool-won-a-europe

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:31 - Jul 15 with 1983 viewslongtimefan

I'd contend that the wording "throw or act" would mean when the ball was "thrown" in the case that it went over the boundary directly from a throw, but would alternately mean when the "act" of striking the bat or player occurred, as in this case
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:36 - Jul 15 with 1969 viewschristiand

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 12:20 - Jul 15 by Ryorry

Aha, thanks - well that then cancels out Taufel's claim that the 6 off Stokes' bat when he was face down getting into his ground was only 5! (see OldSmoker's post & Gruadian link above).

The blues lines are used as a guide for the umpires, there aren't any written rules (that I'm aware) to say it should be a wide if the ball kisses the blue line, especially if the batsman has moved too. All down to the umpire's discretion of the delivery.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:36 - Jul 15 with 1968 viewsgordon

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:30 - Jul 15 by Steve_M

There are far worse ways to decide sporting contests:

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/heads-you-lose-when-liverpool-won-a-europe

Absolutely, but for the final of a world cup it was appalling. New Zealand's magnanimity was extraordinary, given the circumstances.
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:38 - Jul 15 with 1966 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:36 - Jul 15 by gordon

Absolutely, but for the final of a world cup it was appalling. New Zealand's magnanimity was extraordinary, given the circumstances.

Not really appalling is it?

They have to decide it somehow & the more boundaries thing is a good one as it encourages positive play & it's clear & obvious to everybody, unlike net run rate.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:45 - Jul 15 with 1948 viewsgiant_stow

They've been proper gents.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 16:48 - Jul 15 with 1884 viewsSteve_M

Some great pictures here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2019/jul/15/england-cricket-world-cup-

The one of the players at the end of the 50th over is great.

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 17:22 - Jul 15 with 1856 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:36 - Jul 15 by christiand

The blues lines are used as a guide for the umpires, there aren't any written rules (that I'm aware) to say it should be a wide if the ball kisses the blue line, especially if the batsman has moved too. All down to the umpire's discretion of the delivery.

Quite. sometimes players don't get what would be a wide if they move around the crease.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 18:27 - Jul 15 with 1839 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

I was fortunate enough to be at the game yesterday and it is really bizarre to still feel nervous/euphoric a day later!
Atmosphere was so intense as you can imagine but that moment when Buttler whipped the bails off was celebrated like a Norwich away winner times 100!

Hurts me to say (and I never thought I would) but I enjoyed yesterday more than the Barnsley Play Off final. Never thought a sporting moment would top football for me, but somehow yesterday did.

I do hope an open top parade is organised in London, everyone of those lads deserves it.

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 19:52 - Jul 15 with 1808 viewsjimmyvet

Why do people always look for something to moan about just blooming enjoy the win ffs!!
Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 20:02 - Jul 15 with 1800 viewsRyorry

Cricket: I'm still coming down from yesterday on 13:36 - Jul 15 by christiand

OK, I was only going on what captainfantastic had said!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024