Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Will different languages die out 09:31 - Jul 12 with 2005 viewsitfcjoe

For a lot of countries seems it is almost pointless (or counterproductive to only be able to speak the mother tongue).

Just thinking of this when looking at India, a country itself made up of lots of different languages - anyone who wants to be a global star has to speak English it seems. Whether that is cricket, politician, business etc. Even their cricket coverage on TV seems to be in English

I don't know what percentage of people speak English there - but surely those least likely to are those being born into poor situations and it is just another way of keeping them in their place.

I'm sure there are dozens of other countries where the languages are spoken by so few people that they have to learn at least one other language to get by outside that country.

I'm not saying just to have one universal language, although English is basically that in reality, but more interested in to what the benefits are for people, especially those who can't afford a good education in their own country (whether that be if it is paid, or have to leave school to work etc) to only speak a language that will tie them to that place forever?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Will different languages die out on 10:55 - Jul 12 with 443 viewsWeWereZombies

Will different languages die out on 10:42 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

Modern Hindi has a large number of English loan words in it.

And English has Indian words like bungalow and pajamas co-opted too...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Will different languages die out on 10:57 - Jul 12 with 437 viewsfooters

Will different languages die out on 10:55 - Jul 12 by wkj

Beautiful as in Naomi from Romford beautiful?

Yeah but no NSA fun, sadly.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Will different languages die out on 10:58 - Jul 12 with 433 viewsGuthrum

Will different languages die out on 10:35 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

it is the 'mongrel' nature of English that has encouraged its spread, especially compared to French. Because the Académie française have such a stranglehold on what words can be deemed part of the French language the result is a degree of ossification, youth culture for example is more likely to co-opt English words even into French patois.

However, the spread of English may be its own worst enemy as different dialects get in the way of understanding (the uncouth use of 'pussy' can cause confusion between Americans and the English being a case in point). I wonder if new languages with more of an Asian influence will develop in the future?

Even "dominant" languages adopt loan words. English has many from Indian (e.g. Bungalow, Cot, Candy, Jungle, Pundit), often brought in by those who had served overseas in the army or administration.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Will different languages die out on 10:59 - Jul 12 with 427 viewsGuthrum

Will different languages die out on 10:55 - Jul 12 by WeWereZombies

And English has Indian words like bungalow and pajamas co-opted too...

Ah, you got there as I was writing the same point!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Will different languages die out on 11:01 - Jul 12 with 422 viewsWeWereZombies

Will different languages die out on 10:47 - Jul 12 by footers

An ex of mine is a twin and she always banged on about telepathy. Completely nuts, or is there something to it? Written and spoken languages may become primitive compared to what's to come...

I suspect that what is regarded as telepathy is more a case of anticipation of someone's actions or the reading of those non-verbal signals I mentioned. However, I would not be surprised to see some type of implant that 'aids' our language abilities being developed. Imagine being about to let rip to someone about their behaviour but being thwarted as an abuse report shuts you up...

Will different languages die out on 11:07 - Jul 12 with 410 viewsWeWereZombies

Will different languages die out on 10:59 - Jul 12 by Guthrum

Ah, you got there as I was writing the same point!

Drinking a cup of char as you were typing? Which I always assumed came from the Indian 'chai' but a google suggest Mandarin 'chá' (茶) as origin, then transmitted to Persian چای, and subsequently to other languages - Hindi: चाय cāy, Urdu: چاۓ , cāy, Marathi: चहा cahā, Gujarati ચા chā, Bengali: চা cha

Will different languages die out on 11:37 - Jul 12 with 394 viewschicoazul

Will different languages die out on 10:36 - Jul 12 by linhdi

I'm selfishly happy that the English don't bother to learn other languages. It meant that I could cherrypick the most interesting jobs and clients (having business-level French and German).

French is very useful in the Arab world; I was quite surprised at first, but then realised that Arabic + French pretty much covers you from North Africa all the way round the Med.

Travelling for leisure these days, it is surprising perhaps how often you find people in France, Germany, Spain and Italy who have no English. And I don't see our influence increasing in the near future.

Multilingualism is the norm in international business, other than for native English speakers. But it isn't just about linguistic capability, it's also about being comfortable with other cultures and being able to see the world through others' eyes.

Almost all the French have English, they just dont speak it with English or American people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024