Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week 17:01 - Jul 10 with 18622 viewsSteve_M

And then when that failed they set all of their social media fanclub onto it:

Good advertising for the programme anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:52 - Jul 11 with 2319 viewsElderGrizzly

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:48 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

That is awful to belittle the mental health issues they had. I didn't hear it but they aren't helping themselves.

It's a total car crash now.

SB

Not helped by Owen Jones blindly backing Corbyn and the Momentum fringe.

It’s bizarre, as the two MPs are answering the questions and the two ‘opinion journalists’ are swerving more than a swervy thing named swervy
Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:53 - Jul 11 with 2311 viewsWeWereZombies

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:29 - Jul 11 by DanTheMan

A fair comment, though that doesn't explain the demographic of people who vote for the right wing populist who are usually in the older demographics, who weren't as effected as others following the global recession.

But many older people have been affected by the global recession, especially if they do not own their own home. They too will have had to cope with rent increases above inflation (and without the hope of a career taking off and putting that increase, or the chance of buying, into the shade a bit), will have had to cope with increased heating costs (and their own needs for more heating), with less than satisfactory pension outcomes (especially if they are a woman) and let us not forget Les Gilets Jaune's initial impetus was down to legislation increasing diesel prices to the extent that it made the life of some in rural France untenable.

These effects probably came through systems more slowly but were just as debilitating, with the result that those whose pragmatic view on a finite future was severely impacted. You may not agree with the dark forces that have clamped themselves on to this social trend (or in regrettably too many cases have been embraced by individuals) but they are being pushed in that direction because they are worse off.

And, to bring a perspective on this from that noted left wing polemic film maker Ken Loach, there is the 'I, Daniel Blake' element of older people who are less tech savvy (and there are plenty of clued up oldies too) being excluded from help by automated systems, even if they then go and ally themselves to some of the people making a fast buck out of those automated systems.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:54 - Jul 11 with 2309 viewsStokieBlue

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:52 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

Not helped by Owen Jones blindly backing Corbyn and the Momentum fringe.

It’s bizarre, as the two MPs are answering the questions and the two ‘opinion journalists’ are swerving more than a swervy thing named swervy

Surely nobody listens to him anyway? He's been discredited so many times now. He wasn't even a Corbyn supporter until he saw which way the wind was blowing.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:55 - Jul 11 with 2301 viewsElderGrizzly

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:54 - Jul 11 by StokieBlue

Surely nobody listens to him anyway? He's been discredited so many times now. He wasn't even a Corbyn supporter until he saw which way the wind was blowing.

SB

You’d think not, but been on 3 BBC programmes this morning already
Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:04 - Jul 11 with 2289 viewsBlueBadger

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:14 - Jul 11 by WeWereZombies

Perhaps. That would be putting the older bogeyman of capital at the centre of things and I am maybe getting seduced by the rhetoric of this 'information age' that kicked off after the Second World War spurred advanced in logistics, we absorbed the theories of Marshall McLuhan and then the personal computer transformed electronics and media (as well as accounting, education and, well, just about everything).

Human pulchritude has been based on effective exchange for millennia now and nothing effects exchange like money. But, as session guitarist for Grandmaster Flash and now as I understand it British resident, Little Axe put it on 'Bought for a Dollar, Sold for a Dime' - 'You can't Eat Money!' Underlying it all is a need for the basic necessities of life, and those can be improved by the transfer of good information.

That being said I think it is a matter of regret that at least one of the guilty banks was not left to fail completely rather than being bailed out as it would have fired a much needed warning shot across the bows of the rest. However there would have been other major costs resulting from devaluation, rocketing interest rates and inflation, perhaps even the requirement to impose martial law if markets broke down completely.

It's a no-win situation for any government, isn't it?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:05 - Jul 11 with 2289 viewsBlueBadger

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:47 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

He also said that about self confessed holocaust denier Paul Eissen. He had ousted himself as a holocaust denier in 2007. A mainstream Palestine support org, of which Jezza was a patron, kicked him out because of his holocaust denial yet Jezza continued to attend his meetings up until two years before becoming leader.

When challenged on this he said “he never told me he was a holocaust denier”

That excuse makes him either desperately incompetent(in that he's not done some basic research) or a liar.

Both of which makes him as for for office as Boris.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:06 - Jul 11 with 2284 viewsStokieBlue

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:55 - Jul 11 by ElderGrizzly

You’d think not, but been on 3 BBC programmes this morning already

Did he storm off any?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:07 - Jul 11 with 2283 viewsWeWereZombies

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:04 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

It's a no-win situation for any government, isn't it?

There was a win for observers though when George W.'s administration went full on Commie and effectively nationalised some financial institutions for a while...

Login to get fewer ads

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:08 - Jul 11 with 2279 viewsSteve_M

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:53 - Jul 11 by WeWereZombies

But many older people have been affected by the global recession, especially if they do not own their own home. They too will have had to cope with rent increases above inflation (and without the hope of a career taking off and putting that increase, or the chance of buying, into the shade a bit), will have had to cope with increased heating costs (and their own needs for more heating), with less than satisfactory pension outcomes (especially if they are a woman) and let us not forget Les Gilets Jaune's initial impetus was down to legislation increasing diesel prices to the extent that it made the life of some in rural France untenable.

These effects probably came through systems more slowly but were just as debilitating, with the result that those whose pragmatic view on a finite future was severely impacted. You may not agree with the dark forces that have clamped themselves on to this social trend (or in regrettably too many cases have been embraced by individuals) but they are being pushed in that direction because they are worse off.

And, to bring a perspective on this from that noted left wing polemic film maker Ken Loach, there is the 'I, Daniel Blake' element of older people who are less tech savvy (and there are plenty of clued up oldies too) being excluded from help by automated systems, even if they then go and ally themselves to some of the people making a fast buck out of those automated systems.

Dan's point though is that many Trump voters or Tories in the home counties who voted for Brexit were not affected by the financial crisis to any degree. Their support for populism is not down to economic anxiety but to cultural factors, that may include a dislike of immigration but also a sense of English exceptionalism

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:19 - Jul 11 with 2257 viewsWeWereZombies

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:08 - Jul 11 by Steve_M

Dan's point though is that many Trump voters or Tories in the home counties who voted for Brexit were not affected by the financial crisis to any degree. Their support for populism is not down to economic anxiety but to cultural factors, that may include a dislike of immigration but also a sense of English exceptionalism

'WASP values' undoubtedly play their part but do not downplay the genteel poverty that many people in the Home Counties, Middle England and in Trump's 'heartland' of states like Kentucky face. Just because they put on an external appearance of being well off (and make themselves poorer in the process) and 'all in a rush', to use Peter Strawson's term, find refuge in familiar prejudices does not mean they have been affected. Even in those who are comfortable I would content that economic anxiety, because none of us know what the future will bring, is far more pervasive than you give credit for.

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:19 - Jul 11 with 2256 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:22 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

The press TV clip was remarkable. Sadly they didn’t okay the whole clip where he calls a convicted murderer his “brother” but the anti Israel bias showed through.

The Salisbury poisoning - give Russia the benefit of the doubt. Same with Iran.

Egypt border guards murdered by Jihadists - I suspect the hand of Israel.

I got the impression he was talking about the wider undermining of the Morsi regime.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:25 - Jul 11 with 2235 viewsDanTheMan

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:08 - Jul 11 by Steve_M

Put better than I could, though I can see what WAZ is getting at.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:26 - Jul 11 with 2229 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:29 - Jul 11 by DanTheMan

A fair comment, though that doesn't explain the demographic of people who vote for the right wing populist who are usually in the older demographics, who weren't as effected as others following the global recession.

What the ones that had free further education before deciding it's probably unaffordable, cashed in on utility privatisation, the housing bubble and then happily joined the loadsamoney Thatcherist dream.....bunch of wronguns, I should know as I grew up surrounded by them. No surprises there.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:29 - Jul 11 with 2218 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:19 - Jul 11 by BanksterDebtSlave

I got the impression he was talking about the wider undermining of the Morsi regime.

Stop defending him. He was talking specifically about the attack on the border guards be jihadists.

I’m busy at the mo but will put the full clip up later.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:34 - Jul 11 with 2210 viewsSteve_M

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:25 - Jul 11 by DanTheMan

Put better than I could, though I can see what WAZ is getting at.

Both arguments are correct as partial explanations, there are many different people enthused by populism for different reasons. I do think though that the media coverage in both the UK and the US has downplayed those whoa re not suffering from economic anxiety in their vox pops and tours of small towns across the American mid-west or northern Britain.

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:38 - Jul 11 with 2200 viewsDanTheMan

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 11:34 - Jul 11 by Steve_M

Both arguments are correct as partial explanations, there are many different people enthused by populism for different reasons. I do think though that the media coverage in both the UK and the US has downplayed those whoa re not suffering from economic anxiety in their vox pops and tours of small towns across the American mid-west or northern Britain.

Me too. It became a bit of a trope to explain away people falling for populism as just being economically anxious, I guess because it's easier to think about in those terms than the maybe unfortunate reality of them just being that way.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:03 - Jul 11 with 2177 viewsLKW15

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 08:37 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

Given your disgust at this endemic racism of the Labour party, will you be withdrawing your support from the Brexit Party and Boris Johnson?
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:41]

weird that you haven't had an answer to this straight-forward question yet...
Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:28 - Jul 11 with 2140 viewspickles110564

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 10:16 - Jul 11 by lowhouseblue

the 2008 crash and the stagnation that has followed it does. you have blue collar workers who have seen long term decline in real economic conditions. combine that with demographic change and in many countries a cohort of the young who have experienced no opportunities and fewer chances than their parents. bad economics always lies behind populism.

We are very close to another crash.
Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:43 - Jul 11 with 2120 viewslowhouseblue

this seems to go a bit further than what panorama reported

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/jeremy-corbyn-has-done-more-to-inflame-antise

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:46 - Jul 11 with 2106 views26_Paz

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 08:37 - Jul 11 by BlueBadger

Given your disgust at this endemic racism of the Labour party, will you be withdrawing your support from the Brexit Party and Boris Johnson?
[Post edited 11 Jul 2019 9:41]

No, as neither are racist.

The Paz Man

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:47 - Jul 11 with 2106 viewswkj

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:46 - Jul 11 by 26_Paz

No, as neither are racist.

Holy Goalie! That is quite the opinion!

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:48 - Jul 11 with 2099 viewsSteve_M

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:28 - Jul 11 by pickles110564

We are very close to another crash.

Good to see that you are starting to recognise the impact of Brexit.

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 13:51 - Jul 11 with 2042 viewslowhouseblue

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 14:04 - Jul 11 with 2014 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 13:51 - Jul 11 by lowhouseblue

Forgive them father for they know not what they do.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 14:22 - Jul 11 with 1983 viewsElderGrizzly

Ah, so Labour tried to stop the broadcast of Panorama last week on 12:47 - Jul 11 by wkj

Holy Goalie! That is quite the opinion!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024