Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
formation 15:42 - Jul 6 with 2366 viewspositivity

i know it's only a pre-season game, but looks like lambert's persisting with one up-front.

could be because norwood's not ready yet, but not hopeful

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

formation on 15:47 - Jul 6 with 2320 viewsGuthrum

One up front (or, actually, a front three) does work as long as the supply line is working from the middle of the pitch. It's only a real problem if the striker becomes isolated.

Two up top is no better if the ball isn't getting to them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

formation on 15:49 - Jul 6 with 2302 viewsMullet

Your name is sarcasm then I take it?

I don't really understand the clamour for 2 up top. It's a bit ironic to be calling for such an outdated tactic given our recent history.

Who uses it these days in the top divisions comparatively speaking? If you have a natural partnership maybe, but really it's wingers we need to get right. If Norwood is half as good as people are claiming he will need assists and chance after chance in a tight league.

Given Jackson is reminiscent of Uhlenbeek but playing up top, he too will need half a dozen shots per goal based on what we've seen.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

formation on 15:57 - Jul 6 with 2216 viewspositivity

formation on 15:49 - Jul 6 by Mullet

I don't really understand the clamour for 2 up top. It's a bit ironic to be calling for such an outdated tactic given our recent history.

Who uses it these days in the top divisions comparatively speaking? If you have a natural partnership maybe, but really it's wingers we need to get right. If Norwood is half as good as people are claiming he will need assists and chance after chance in a tight league.

Given Jackson is reminiscent of Uhlenbeek but playing up top, he too will need half a dozen shots per goal based on what we've seen.

jackson looks more suited in a 2, and, from what little I've seen of norwood, same goes for him.

whether they can form a partnership is another question.

as for the question about the "top divisions", we're not there, so i think we adapt to our surroundings!

formation on 15:59 - Jul 6 with 2195 viewspositivity

formation on 15:47 - Jul 6 by Guthrum

One up front (or, actually, a front three) does work as long as the supply line is working from the middle of the pitch. It's only a real problem if the striker becomes isolated.

we are missing some very key players for the eventual formation in norwood, edwards & judge (and maybe another striker to come??), i could be reading too much into it!
[Post edited 6 Jul 2019 16:00]

formation on 19:46 - Jul 6 with 1901 viewsWickets

One up front is ment to be an attacking formation with strong runners from midfield arriving in the box. We look as though we have midfielders who can be strong in this league hopefully if we use that system it should suit. The squad as it stands looks ok but as many have said still short both ends of the pitch . If we get injuries !!!!!
formation on 21:32 - Jul 6 with 1829 viewsWD19

formation on 15:57 - Jul 6 by positivity

jackson looks more suited in a 2, and, from what little I've seen of norwood, same goes for him.

whether they can form a partnership is another question.

as for the question about the "top divisions", we're not there, so i think we adapt to our surroundings!

“More suited to a 2” is simply code for “needs someone else up there to actually score the goals because he is unlikely to.”

Interested to see how he goes in division 3 but looks quite a lot like all our chips are on Norwood and a pretty midfield finally finding a cutting edge.
formation on 21:35 - Jul 6 with 1819 viewsCoastalblue

formation on 15:49 - Jul 6 by Mullet

Jackson as Gus is inspired I'll give you that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

formation on 22:04 - Jul 6 with 1796 viewsCaptMickMills

My concern with one ul front is lack of natural goalscorers on the pitch
Login to get fewer ads

formation on 22:08 - Jul 6 with 1787 viewsSwansea_Blue

One up front is absolutely fine. The starting positions are largely meaningless. It can be 1 isolated up front to 3 upfront with a number 10 in support at the other extreme. All about how it's used (both with and without the bball) rather than the notional formation.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

formation on 08:40 - Jul 7 with 1595 viewsArnieM

Far too early to start judging on Towns possible formations I think . Five of the likely first team regulars weren’t even in the squad yesterday!!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

formation on 09:01 - Jul 7 with 1565 viewshampstead_blue

Agreed.

Since MM started this formation we've been on one long slide to L1.
I do worry as you need real quality to make this work. Quality which I do not think we have.

At least with two it's 1 more......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

formation on 09:10 - Jul 7 with 1548 viewsMullet

formation on 09:01 - Jul 7 by hampstead_blue

Agreed.

Since MM started this formation we've been on one long slide to L1.
I do worry as you need real quality to make this work. Quality which I do not think we have.

At least with two it's 1 more......

The formation we finished in the top 10 with for 3 or 4 seasons you mean?

The manager who reverted to 3-5-2 you mean?

Nothing to do with Hurst and his three changes a game, terrible signings and selling our best strikers you mean?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

formation on 09:30 - Jul 7 with 1515 viewsWeWereZombies

formation on 21:35 - Jul 6 by Coastalblue

Jackson as Gus is inspired I'll give you that.

It gives us hope that Jackson will be sold before the transfer window closes and we will find the striker equivalent of Bobby Petta to replace him?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

formation on 10:14 - Jul 7 with 1467 viewsStokieBlue

formation on 21:32 - Jul 6 by WD19

“More suited to a 2” is simply code for “needs someone else up there to actually score the goals because he is unlikely to.”

Interested to see how he goes in division 3 but looks quite a lot like all our chips are on Norwood and a pretty midfield finally finding a cutting edge.

I'm not sure it does.

I would say it means he needs someone to feed off (flicks behind the defence he can run onto) or if playing up top alone he needs balls in behind, not balls with his back to goal.

He's not been brilliant, he's also not been played in any way that suits him.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

formation on 10:18 - Jul 7 with 1456 viewsStokieBlue

He doesn't see it as 1 up front, he's also said he's not decided yet:

“I changed it at half-time to 4-3-3,” he added. “I might play another system come next weekend. It’s not about systems, it’s about getting guys fit and up to speed. We still have a couple coming back.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

formation on 10:49 - Jul 7 with 1398 viewsKeaneish

formation on 09:10 - Jul 7 by Mullet

The formation we finished in the top 10 with for 3 or 4 seasons you mean?

The manager who reverted to 3-5-2 you mean?

Nothing to do with Hurst and his three changes a game, terrible signings and selling our best strikers you mean?

I think Norwood's movement playing the loan striker role is excellent. If we can get bodies around and beyond him then great, it's a big IF though as we consistently failed at doing that last season. Who from our squad in these support roles looks capable of getting 10 - 15 goals at this level? Maybe Judge, maybe Edwards?

My main concern is Jackson in this lone role, it doesn't suit him. I'm hoping PL tries Jackson and Norwood together in pre-season. I'd prefer to see us use a 5-3-2 and rely on width from the FB / WBs than wingers. Emmanuel, Donacien, Kenlock and Nydam all like to get forward. Skuse in a back three with a midfield trio to be made up of Judge plus any two from Downes, Nolan, Huws and Bishop.

We talk about wingers but we don't have a natural left winger of quality. I'd use Edwards, Roberts, Lankester, Rowe and Dozzell from the bench.

Only issue I see with this is a back three and Chambers / Toto being pulled out wide.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024