Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who remembers Subbuteo? 18:01 - Jul 5 with 4005 viewsChateauWines

Just came up elsewhere on here. I had 22 teams at one stage and played an FA Cup right through from First Round.

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:28 - Jul 5 with 3073 viewsSlambo

I was OBSESSED with it..! Had 30 odd teams, couple of grandstands, end goal terraces, floodlights... the bendy players you used to do throw ins...even an orange Adidas Tango ball...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:44 - Jul 5 with 3046 viewsFtnfwest

We did a tourney some years ago at a previous workplace on lunchtimes. Think we had 6 or 7 teams so played a league and a cup. The guy who supported cambridge utd was by some distance the best player and won 2 of the 3 or so leagues we had. Think I won one of the cups but my most famous moment (playing a town side of course) was to score a disputed offside goal to stop cambridge winning 3 out of 3. We weren’t operating VAR thankfully
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:56 - Jul 5 with 3028 viewsCoastalblue

Loved it as a kid, I think I spent an entire summer holiday playing it with a mate. I also had the cricket version and used to play limited overs world cups.

I think it's fallen out of favour now, remember buying it for my nephew when he was a kid thinking he'd love it, reality is I think he was very underwhelmed.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:58 - Jul 5 with 3020 viewsFtnfwest

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:56 - Jul 5 by Coastalblue

Loved it as a kid, I think I spent an entire summer holiday playing it with a mate. I also had the cricket version and used to play limited overs world cups.

I think it's fallen out of favour now, remember buying it for my nephew when he was a kid thinking he'd love it, reality is I think he was very underwhelmed.

Yes I remember having the cricket one, used to enjoy that. Trouble was the pitch was the same shape as the football one
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:02 - Jul 5 with 3013 viewsGeoffSentence

Yes, all I wanted for Christmas was the Dukla Prague away kit.

I can remember my bitter disappointment when they switched from the heavyweight figures to the machine painted zombie ones. They were cr@p.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:03 - Jul 5 with 3008 viewsblueconscience

I had the astro turf, scoreboard, and floodlights, would have loved the whole stadium.

Only had a few old fashioned teams
[Post edited 5 Jul 2019 19:04]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:05 - Jul 5 with 3000 viewsBigManBlue

Must have had 50+ teams... much to my wife’s chagrin, still do! Amazing game, thousands of childhood hours happily spent

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:10 - Jul 5 with 2985 viewsTIB

Purchased a set for my niece and nephew a few years back when they were like 8 and 10. They had no idea what I put in front of them!?! I'm passing tomorrow so might find out how they're getting on with it...suspect the lack of controllers / batteries required might mean xBox still prevails

On another note, what was the similar game bit the players had magnets and you pressed them down to kick it?

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Login to get fewer ads

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:11 - Jul 5 with 2982 viewsNazemariner

I was the envy of my mates as I had the roll up astropitch, rather than the standard cloth on. There was a little shop near the muzzies in Clacton. It was the only place near me that you could buy the teams.

TRWTD
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:16 - Jul 5 with 2968 viewsBigManBlue

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:10 - Jul 5 by TIB

Purchased a set for my niece and nephew a few years back when they were like 8 and 10. They had no idea what I put in front of them!?! I'm passing tomorrow so might find out how they're getting on with it...suspect the lack of controllers / batteries required might mean xBox still prevails

On another note, what was the similar game bit the players had magnets and you pressed them down to kick it?

That was Striker - at least, my version was called that, think it went through a few different names.

Poll: If Bart stays, who's no. 1?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:17 - Jul 5 with 2963 viewsGeoffSentence

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:10 - Jul 5 by TIB

Was it it Striker?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:19 - Jul 5 with 2958 viewsGeoffSentence

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:58 - Jul 5 by Ftnfwest

Yes I remember having the cricket one, used to enjoy that. Trouble was the pitch was the same shape as the football one

I had the cricket and Rugby ones. Quite enjoyed them both as a diversion from the real thing.

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:32 - Jul 5 with 2930 viewsBLUEBEAT

Poll: W or W

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:46 - Jul 5 with 2910 viewschristiand

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:56 - Jul 5 by Coastalblue

Was it the World Cup cricket edition Coastal? Had both games and loved them equally as much! Subbuteo one day, followed by cricket the next.....perfect!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:55 - Jul 5 with 2903 viewsRocky

Loved Subbuteo. In my early days we just had the 2-dimensional celluloid players. When the 3-D ones came in, they were usually repaired by us, re-glued to bases, limbs stuck back on etc - they all looked like Jimmy Leadbetter on a good day.
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:13 - Jul 5 with 2884 viewsChateauWines

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:55 - Jul 5 by Rocky

Loved Subbuteo. In my early days we just had the 2-dimensional celluloid players. When the 3-D ones came in, they were usually repaired by us, re-glued to bases, limbs stuck back on etc - they all looked like Jimmy Leadbetter on a good day.

my mum trod on Trevor Brooking and his legs both broke. Had to superglue his torso to boots. He never was any good in the air anyway

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:26 - Jul 5 with 2854 viewsbluesym

I loved it! All my pocket money went on teams and various accessories,
I was lucky enough to have astro-turf!
Also remember buying different goals and nets and even a 3 pack of the classic adidas Tango footballs!

Does anyone remember the TV Series based on Subbuteo? I think it was called ‘Playing for Real’

Poll: Is Micheal Mcintyre actually funny?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:34 - Jul 5 with 2839 viewsSwansea_Blue

Remember it? Ours is alive and kicking. I got our previous orange away kit (not last year's, but the one before that) for the lad a couple of Christmases ago. There are a bunch of small operators now who provide top notch, hand painted teams on a variety of base types (they're not the cheapest, but the quality is far better than the genuine Subbuteo ever was).

I've maybe 40-50 teams from the early 80s and a smattering of modern ones, and a whole bunch of accessories. I made us a base board out of ply that we can leave up in the garage and have a game whenever we want - it looks a bit like this, but obviously with a pitch on:

Next job is to get a new pitch (my old ones are a bit manky) and then glue it down so the ball runs better, put up my stands and floodlights.

If you don't play Subbuteo, you've never lived 😂

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:38 - Jul 5 with 2828 viewsCoastalblue

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 19:46 - Jul 5 by christiand

Was it the World Cup cricket edition Coastal? Had both games and loved them equally as much! Subbuteo one day, followed by cricket the next.....perfect!

I think maybe it was actually, loved both games but had more mates willing to play football.

Mu Dad made me a pitch on a board not unlike the oe above, I think it lasted three days before the dog pissed on it and had a large stain ever more.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 21:37 - Jul 5 with 2764 viewsMerthyrblue

I had the two dimensional players originally. Later on I also had a game called 4-2-4. Not sure anyone else did?
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 22:02 - Jul 5 with 2730 viewsfarkenhell

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 18:28 - Jul 5 by Slambo

I was OBSESSED with it..! Had 30 odd teams, couple of grandstands, end goal terraces, floodlights... the bendy players you used to do throw ins...even an orange Adidas Tango ball...

Same here. I had the 1978 world cup edition.

Sh1t - I feel old!
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 22:04 - Jul 5 with 2724 viewsfarkenhell

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:34 - Jul 5 by Swansea_Blue

Remember it? Ours is alive and kicking. I got our previous orange away kit (not last year's, but the one before that) for the lad a couple of Christmases ago. There are a bunch of small operators now who provide top notch, hand painted teams on a variety of base types (they're not the cheapest, but the quality is far better than the genuine Subbuteo ever was).

I've maybe 40-50 teams from the early 80s and a smattering of modern ones, and a whole bunch of accessories. I made us a base board out of ply that we can leave up in the garage and have a game whenever we want - it looks a bit like this, but obviously with a pitch on:

Next job is to get a new pitch (my old ones are a bit manky) and then glue it down so the ball runs better, put up my stands and floodlights.

If you don't play Subbuteo, you've never lived 😂

You lucky so and so. When I was a kid and mad on Subbuteo, my Dad promised to make me a ply base for my pitch. B@stard never did get round to it!
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 22:07 - Jul 5 with 2723 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Who remembers Subbuteo? on 20:13 - Jul 5 by ChateauWines

my mum trod on Trevor Brooking and his legs both broke. Had to superglue his torso to boots. He never was any good in the air anyway

My Budgie took 1 player for an unexpected flight!
Who remembers Subbuteo? on 00:27 - Jul 6 with 2623 viewsbritbiker

Loved playing it but hated how the goals moved if you got too excited tying to make a save with those long extended goalie sticks.

Wonder if they ever made a Grant Holt one which stayed on the floor rather than bouncing back up.
Who remembers Subbuteo? Going on.., on 00:42 - Jul 6 with 2616 viewshoppy

Yes, had it all... friend and I had leagues with specific teams... selected our squad etc to play. And recordered who scored etc...

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024