Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Loaded Language in the press 10:36 - Jun 23 with 1938 viewsGeoffSentence

I quite enjoy looking at reports of the same event from different sides of the political spectrum just to see how by reporting exactly the same thing, their use of language really changes the tone of the piece.

Boris's neighbour talking to the press is a wonderful example of this.

In the BBC he 'defends' taping the row - pretty neutral, thay is what he is doing having been attacked in the media for doing so.

In The Guardian he 'goes public' - pretty benign reporting.

So far as The Telegraph is concerned he 'admits' taping the row. That is a beautifully loaded term, it states the truth same way as the previous two but the use of 'admits' suggests he was somehow trying to hide it before.

Not hard to tell which of those is on his side and who is against him.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Loaded Language in the press on 10:39 - Jun 23 with 1551 viewsBlueBadger

The Telegraph have basically turned into Fox News over all this. Witness Allison Pearson on Twitter demanding that the neighbour be 'named and shamed'.

For calling the police because they feared a domestic assault may be taking place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Loaded Language in the press on 10:43 - Jun 23 with 1536 viewsGeoffSentence

Loaded Language in the press on 10:39 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

The Telegraph have basically turned into Fox News over all this. Witness Allison Pearson on Twitter demanding that the neighbour be 'named and shamed'.

For calling the police because they feared a domestic assault may be taking place.

I can see why some people might object to them sending the recording to the Guardian, that was a political decision, but the objections to them reporting it to the police are not only wrong, but politically motivated too.

No-one should be discouraged from looking out for their neighbours and calling the police was the right thing to do.

Edwina Curry called it 'wasting police time' on the radio this morning, almost suggesting that they could be charged with that.

Loaded Language in the press on 10:47 - Jun 23 with 1526 viewsSteve_M

James Cleverly has been busy disproving nominative determination again too trying to claim it was a private matter. Not if it can be heard through walls it isn't and the neighbours clearly did the right thing calling the police.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Loaded Language in the press on 10:51 - Jun 23 with 1506 viewsballycastle

Agree completely, I read the Guardian web, Telegraph web, and buy the I physical 2-3 times a week, the language used for the same subject is marked, I wish more people could accept this.
Loaded Language in the press on 11:00 - Jun 23 with 1486 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I wonder how long the guardian had had recording equipment in that neighbours flat? ;-)

I've lived in flats, I don't ever recall clearly hearing a conversation in a neighbouring flat, let alone it being clear enough to record on a phone or similar device.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Loaded Language in the press on 11:06 - Jun 23 with 1457 viewsGeoffSentence

Loaded Language in the press on 11:00 - Jun 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

I wonder how long the guardian had had recording equipment in that neighbours flat? ;-)

I've lived in flats, I don't ever recall clearly hearing a conversation in a neighbouring flat, let alone it being clear enough to record on a phone or similar device.

Good point. Our nieghbours used to get quite loud sometimes, but we could never make out what they were saying.

On the other hand I am not sure how The Guardian would benefit, remember that the choice is between Bojo and Hunt. A genuine case of BCWYWF.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:08 - Jun 23 with 1450 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Loaded Language in the press on 11:06 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

Good point. Our nieghbours used to get quite loud sometimes, but we could never make out what they were saying.

On the other hand I am not sure how The Guardian would benefit, remember that the choice is between Bojo and Hunt. A genuine case of BCWYWF.

Was just speculating really, but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

Maybe momentum rather than the Guardian.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Loaded Language in the press on 11:12 - Jun 23 with 1438 viewspointofblue

Loaded Language in the press on 11:06 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

Definitley Hunt I would have thought - he may have issues but surely it's a case of Anyone But Johnson?

My concern is how many people see to want him as leader. Seeing the Trump effect in America is one thing but when it reaches this country it's something else altogether.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Loaded Language in the press on 11:13 - Jun 23 with 1434 viewsPJH

Johnson is likely to have The Chancellor of the Exchequer as a next door neighbour soon so it will be interesting to see if they tape him and his girlfriend having loud arguments, suppose it depends on whether they want his job or not.
Loaded Language in the press on 11:16 - Jun 23 with 1425 viewspointofblue

Loaded Language in the press on 10:43 - Jun 23 by GeoffSentence

I can see why some people might object to them sending the recording to the Guardian, that was a political decision, but the objections to them reporting it to the police are not only wrong, but politically motivated too.

No-one should be discouraged from looking out for their neighbours and calling the police was the right thing to do.

Edwina Curry called it 'wasting police time' on the radio this morning, almost suggesting that they could be charged with that.

Exactly. I have no issue with the neighbours going to the police if they felt the argument was serious enough to warrant an emergency call but I'm not sure where sending the tapes to The Guardian after the police said there were no concerns comes into it.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:17 - Jun 23 with 1410 viewsBlueBadger

Loaded Language in the press on 11:08 - Jun 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

Was just speculating really, but it all seems a bit fishy to me.

Maybe momentum rather than the Guardian.

Like Momentum have anyone *that* competent.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:18 - Jun 23 with 1415 viewsBlueBadger

Loaded Language in the press on 11:19 - Jun 23 with 1407 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Loaded Language in the press on 11:18 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

"Screams". ??

Loaded Language in the press on 11:20 - Jun 23 with 1404 viewsPJH

Loaded Language in the press on 11:19 - Jun 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

"Screams". ??

Johnson I would think.
Loaded Language in the press on 11:20 - Jun 23 with 1401 viewsBlueBadger

"Screams". ??

It's a pretty good adjective for 'voice raised loud enough to hear through a party wall'.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:23 - Jun 23 with 1398 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Loaded Language in the press on 11:20 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

It's a pretty good adjective for 'voice raised loud enough to hear through a party wall'.

Rather subjective, and Idve thought "shouting" would be a more accurate adjective... although less hyperbolic.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:27 - Jun 23 with 1384 viewsgiant_stow

Loaded Language in the press on 11:00 - Jun 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

You've lived in nicer flats than me then. In my old place we could hear chats upstairs easily and even now in a little terraced house, when next door get excitable, I can hear them word for word.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Loaded Language in the press on 11:30 - Jun 23 with 1381 viewspointofblue

Because it's important to report all cases to The Guardian if the police find nothing untoward has happened.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:32 - Jun 23 with 1367 viewsgiant_stow

I half agree with that, but its not simple. They had every right to report it to the police, but going to the papers was a hostile act - rightly or wrongly, they made themselves political players for an instant and therefore targets.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Loaded Language in the press on 11:33 - Jun 23 with 1357 viewsBlueBadger

Loaded Language in the press on 11:16 - Jun 23 by pointofblue

Exactly. I have no issue with the neighbours going to the police if they felt the argument was serious enough to warrant an emergency call but I'm not sure where sending the tapes to The Guardian after the police said there were no concerns comes into it.

I think that's probably more easy to justify than the press trying to dig dirt on someone reporting a domestic abuse concern to police.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:37 - Jun 23 with 1344 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Loaded Language in the press on 11:32 - Jun 23 by giant_stow

I half agree with that, but its not simple. They had every right to report it to the police, but going to the papers was a hostile act - rightly or wrongly, they made themselves political players for an instant and therefore targets.

This.

Especially after the police decided there was nothing to follow up.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:40 - Jun 23 with 1333 viewsBlueBadger

Loaded Language in the press on 11:37 - Jun 23 by Marshalls_Mullet

This.

Especially after the police decided there was nothing to follow up.

We don't know the point at which the Graun received the recordings, it's quite conceivable they received them before the investigation was concluded. At which point 'possible future PM may be doing a bit of wife-beating' becomes a clear and present public interest story.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:41 - Jun 23 with 1329 viewsGeoffSentence

"Screams". ??

Haha! Point in case. Loaded language.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:41 - Jun 23 with 1328 viewspointofblue

Loaded Language in the press on 11:33 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

I think that's probably more easy to justify than the press trying to dig dirt on someone reporting a domestic abuse concern to police.

Though if they hadn't given the tapes to The Guardian the press wouldn't know where to start in terms of who reported the incident. And would't have a leg to stand on in relation to making their private lives public - as it is they can hide behind that the neighbours were happy enough to make someone else's private life public.

Loaded Language in the press on 11:44 - Jun 23 with 1312 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Loaded Language in the press on 11:40 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

We don't know the point at which the Graun received the recordings, it's quite conceivable they received them before the investigation was concluded. At which point 'possible future PM may be doing a bit of wife-beating' becomes a clear and present public interest story.

Innocent until proven guilty.

I suspect nothing to see here.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024