Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week 08:23 - Jun 19 with 1384 viewsDanTheMan

Any tips?

I've heard they can be a bit on the aggressive side.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2019 8:24]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 08:27 - Jun 19 with 1377 viewsGlasgowBlue

You know the expression “when in Rome”? This especially applies to driving. If you are too timid at large roundabouts you’ll still be going around next week.

Yiu need to drive with the same confidence that they do and you’ll be fine.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 08:39 - Jun 19 with 1340 viewsBloomBlue

Be prepared for a lot of car horns and remember red traffic lights and give way doesnt mean stop or give way.

The first time I drove a car in Sicily (it was approx 40 years ago) I was driving towards a junction, i had right of way, another car coming towards the junction he was supposed to stop/give way he had his hand constantly on the car horn and never stopped nearly smashed into me.
When I got to the hotel and was moaning about it they explained when a driver is permanently pressing the car horn in that situation in Sicily its telling you hes not going to stop or give way.

I also remember being at a traffic light 8 cars back as soon as the lights changed from red every driver excepted the first car/driver started pressing the car horn.

Maybe things have changed but I'm sure the constant car horns haven't.
So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:00 - Jun 19 with 1296 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I didn't find it much different from France or Spain.

Drove in Turin, that was a bit hairy.

Just keep your wits about you, and drive confidently.

Also, be wary of excess charges on hire cars.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:02 - Jun 19 with 1290 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Check out point 3 in this article, worth thinking about;

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/829520/Martin-Lew

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:16 - Jun 19 with 1255 viewssoupytwist

I spent a week about an hour out of Rome at the end of May which involved picking up a hire car at Rome airport and then driving into the hills.

It’s not too bad, but once I got off the main roads, the road surfaces were dreadful. I spent a lot of time weaving around to avoid potholes so you need to be aware of what’s coming the other way. If you’re just pootling along in no particular rush expect any cars that are following you to be far too close and to overtake at the slightest opportunity.

The worst bit was getting away from the city on the Roman equivalent of the M25 (GRA) where you need to be careful changing lanes since not everyone will indicate their intention, people cut across several lanes at the last minute to take an exit and tailgating is rife.

What I really noticed since I was last there (which was about 20 years ago) was the wide variety of makes of car people drive, no longer do FIAT or other Italian manufacturers have a near monopoly. Up in the hills where I was staying there were still loads of original FIAT Pandas however, quite a few original 4x4 ones too.
So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:22 - Jun 19 with 1239 viewshomer_123

For a country that loves cars....their roads are in a shocking state.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:29 - Jun 19 with 1226 viewssoupytwist

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:22 - Jun 19 by homer_123

For a country that loves cars....their roads are in a shocking state.

I think that a lot of Italian infrastructure is in a dilapidated state, especially once you get out of the more prosperous cities or regions.
So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:31 - Jun 19 with 1223 viewsnodge_blue

drive on the right!

i have driven in Tuscany over there and didnt find them that bad. Not much different to us really. Especially our white van drivers.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:41 - Jun 19 with 1200 viewsStokieBlue

I've never had a problem, it's no different to driving in the UK (I'd say generally UK drivers can be pretty aggressive).

Have a great time - where are you going?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So I'm going to be driving in Italy next week on 09:56 - Jun 19 with 1175 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I have found Italians helpful. On one occasion I was looking for an address in Milan and asked in a cafe. A customer jumped on his motor-bike and led me to it.

Courteous... on two occasions, in the mountains near Como, slower moving motorists pulled over and allowed me and others to get past on narrow roads.

But they also have their share of road hogs and 'me first' types.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024