Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Slug pellets 20:44 - Jun 16 with 2855 viewsjeera

The 'pet friendly' types.

They may not hurt pets of the obvious types: dogs, cats... but what about birds feeding their young atm?

Are they allowed to be labelled as such because they just about meet some safety standard or are the ferrous phosphate kind genuinely ok if consumed by wildlife?

I am wondering if anyone actually knows rather than just opinions, if there is anyone please.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Slug pellets on 20:45 - Jun 16 with 1847 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

If you are happy to kill one animal, why worry about the others?

Prejudice.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Slug pellets on 20:51 - Jun 16 with 1831 viewsRyorry

I really hate using the blue ones (Meta-something) & am trying to swerve it, tho it's been essential at times in previous years, or I'd have had zero crops of some things like lettuces & courgettes.

Have gone v. low tech this year with rough stones & copious amounts of prunings off v. thorny shrubs carefully placed around individual plants. So far, not bad results albeit a few leaves lost.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Slug pellets on 20:52 - Jun 16 with 1824 viewsJ2BLUE

Slug pellets on 20:45 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Prejudice.

Shut up Callis

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Slug pellets on 20:55 - Jun 16 with 1816 viewsjeera

Slug pellets on 20:45 - Jun 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Prejudice.

Why do you comment on everything?

I'm not interested in stupid replies.

Slug pellets on 21:00 - Jun 16 with 1813 viewsjeera

Slug pellets on 20:51 - Jun 16 by Ryorry

I really hate using the blue ones (Meta-something) & am trying to swerve it, tho it's been essential at times in previous years, or I'd have had zero crops of some things like lettuces & courgettes.

Have gone v. low tech this year with rough stones & copious amounts of prunings off v. thorny shrubs carefully placed around individual plants. So far, not bad results albeit a few leaves lost.

I've got the hump tbh.

I've got one immediate neighbour sneaking crap like vacuum cleaners into the black bin and another chucking slug pellets around liberally to protect some flowers.

I recycle every damn thing I can and have a bird feeder in the garden.

I look and I think wtf is the point in making the effort when there's some selfish prick a few yards away undoing it all?

Slug pellets on 21:05 - Jun 16 with 1802 viewsBloomBlue

Go outside late in the evening (ie 11pm) when the slugs are feeding and manually remove them

Note; dont forget to throw them into next doors garden
Slug pellets on 21:11 - Jun 16 with 1782 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Slug pellets on 20:55 - Jun 16 by jeera

Why do you comment on everything?

I'm not interested in stupid replies.

Cheer up darling.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Slug pellets on 21:14 - Jun 16 with 1771 viewsDubtractor

Slug pellets on 21:05 - Jun 16 by BloomBlue

Go outside late in the evening (ie 11pm) when the slugs are feeding and manually remove them

Note; dont forget to throw them into next doors garden

This is probably the best way to do it. You can either throw them next door, or execute them one at a time.

I do also use these pellets when the slugs and snails get REALLY bad as it is so frustrating to have them decimate things you've spend ages growing.

https://www.gardenhealth.com/growing-success-slug-killer

They claim to be safe for other animals etc.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Slug pellets on 21:14 - Jun 16 with 1768 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Slug pellets on 21:00 - Jun 16 by jeera

I've got the hump tbh.

I've got one immediate neighbour sneaking crap like vacuum cleaners into the black bin and another chucking slug pellets around liberally to protect some flowers.

I look and I think wtf is the point in making the effort when there's some selfish prick a few yards away undoing it all?

Have you tried a beer trap?

Slug pellets on 21:27 - Jun 16 with 1730 viewsFtnfwest

Salt, the nuclear option. Or ‘sea salt’ as it’s now called
Slug pellets on 21:45 - Jun 16 with 1706 viewsDubtractor

Slug pellets on 21:27 - Jun 16 by Ftnfwest

Salt, the nuclear option. Or ‘sea salt’ as it’s now called

Fine, except it will also kill your plants......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Slug pellets on 21:50 - Jun 16 with 1694 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 21:14 - Jun 16 by Dubtractor

This is probably the best way to do it. You can either throw them next door, or execute them one at a time.

I do also use these pellets when the slugs and snails get REALLY bad as it is so frustrating to have them decimate things you've spend ages growing.

Not grown much in a home garden but doesn't raising things as transplants help.

Things like runner beans will get wiped out in their first week direct sown but barely get touched as 2 week old transplants.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Slug pellets on 21:57 - Jun 16 with 1673 viewsDubtractor

Slug pellets on 21:50 - Jun 16 by BackToRussia

Things like runner beans will get wiped out in their first week direct sown but barely get touched as 2 week old transplants.

Yeah, without doubt, getting things started in a greenhouse, then planting out greatly improves chances.

Slugs still eat things, but less likely to destroy the whole plant.

Slug pellets on 22:08 - Jun 16 with 1649 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

We have been slicing and dicing about 100 a day for at least a month now....there is a mini forest/leaf litter breeding ground next door.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Slug pellets on 22:14 - Jun 16 with 1642 viewsnsblu1

For Shrewsbury away?
Slug pellets on 22:18 - Jun 16 with 1633 viewsRyorry

Slug pellets on 21:00 - Jun 16 by jeera

I've got the hump tbh.

Just remember the bigger picture I guess -seems to me that selfish short-sighted people like that are decreasing in number quite quickly now, as awareness of the crisis in our environment grows.

If you pick & squash some of yours on individual stones instead of chucking em next door, place each stone with body strategically next to a bed containing your valuable plants to act as a decoy - slugs are worldies at cannabalism!

Slug pellets on 22:25 - Jun 16 with 1621 viewsRyorry

Slug pellets on 21:50 - Jun 16 by BackToRussia

Even quite well grown plug plants of certain veg - esp lettuce, courgettes & runners - if left unprotected, get decimated by my resident slugs/snails.

Slug pellets on 22:30 - Jun 16 with 1607 viewsrfretwell

Top tip from Gardeners World - boil up a couple of garlic cloves, sieve the liquid, let it cool then water over crops. Monty says it works brilliantly.
Slug pellets on 22:33 - Jun 16 with 1604 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 22:25 - Jun 16 by Ryorry

Even quite well grown plug plants of certain veg - esp lettuce, courgettes & runners - if left unprotected, get decimated by my resident slugs/snails.

A shame. For lettuce I would direct sow lots of plants as seed is so cheap. You'll get some then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Slug pellets on 22:46 - Jun 16 with 1595 viewsRyorry

Slug pellets on 22:33 - Jun 16 by BackToRussia

A shame. For lettuce I would direct sow lots of plants as seed is so cheap. You'll get some then.

Yes, gonna do serial sowing this year & hope the ground dries out soon ... I'm a careful waterer by can on raised beds, no indiscriminate drenching over large areas which'd make life too comfy for them.

Meanwhile the rough rocks & thorny prunings are actually doing a decent job - luckily don't have a shortage of either! though it's pretty time-consuming to place them & keep up with the increasing growth.

Have others found that some veg are really struggling atm? Runners & courgettes in particular, though not actually dying, just don't seem to be growing on as usual - the cold temps I assume - it reached only 9C at 1pm in this part of Yorks on Weds or Thurs last week! It was 5 degrees warmer in Feb!

Slug pellets on 22:53 - Jun 16 with 1582 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 22:46 - Jun 16 by Ryorry

Yes, gonna do serial sowing this year & hope the ground dries out soon ... I'm a careful waterer by can on raised beds, no indiscriminate drenching over large areas which'd make life too comfy for them.

Meanwhile the rough rocks & thorny prunings are actually doing a decent job - luckily don't have a shortage of either! though it's pretty time-consuming to place them & keep up with the increasing growth.

Have others found that some veg are really struggling atm? Runners & courgettes in particular, though not actually dying, just don't seem to be growing on as usual - the cold temps I assume - it reached only 9C at 1pm in this part of Yorks on Weds or Thurs last week! It was 5 degrees warmer in Feb!

Jesus, yes those temps would certainly slow those crops down, but they'll be developing root systems waiting for the warmer temps.

Think it's been a bit up and down too with the warm weather, then the monsoons! Plants like consistency.

It is very hard in home gardens to deter slugs. On a larger scale it is easier to create more open ground where they won't cross. In a garden there's innumerable hiding places, and fewer predators typically.

I would also try using diatomaceous earth, maybe spray it as a foliar spray in water in the evenings on leafy veg, or apply as a physical barrier.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Slug pellets on 22:56 - Jun 16 with 1576 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 21:57 - Jun 16 by Dubtractor

Yeah, without doubt, getting things started in a greenhouse, then planting out greatly improves chances.

Slugs still eat things, but less likely to destroy the whole plant.

It's the cabbage white caterpillar that gets me. Whole brassicas stripped.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Slug pellets on 22:58 - Jun 16 with 1569 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 22:08 - Jun 16 by BanksterDebtSlave

We have been slicing and dicing about 100 a day for at least a month now....there is a mini forest/leaf litter breeding ground next door.

Apparently slugs are cannibalistic (maybe only some species) and attracted to other slug guts and blood!

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Slug pellets on 23:02 - Jun 16 with 1565 viewsRyorry

Slug pellets on 22:53 - Jun 16 by BackToRussia

Jesus, yes those temps would certainly slow those crops down, but they'll be developing root systems waiting for the warmer temps.

Think it's been a bit up and down too with the warm weather, then the monsoons! Plants like consistency.

It is very hard in home gardens to deter slugs. On a larger scale it is easier to create more open ground where they won't cross. In a garden there's innumerable hiding places, and fewer predators typically.

I would also try using diatomaceous earth, maybe spray it as a foliar spray in water in the evenings on leafy veg, or apply as a physical barrier.

That's a good idea re diatomaceous earth if I could buy it in bulk for using as a physical barrier, cheers. The usual recommendations of gravel, sharp sand etc don't seem to deter them at all!

Back in the day I used to put down dry broad bran which worked quite well, as they pig out on it but it swells & bursts their guts if they don't get the liquid to go with. Unfortunately it's just too wet atm to do - we've not had more than about 8 consecutive hours without any rain for at least 10 days.

Slug pellets on 23:06 - Jun 16 with 1558 viewsBackToRussia

Slug pellets on 23:02 - Jun 16 by Ryorry

That's a good idea re diatomaceous earth if I could buy it in bulk for using as a physical barrier, cheers. The usual recommendations of gravel, sharp sand etc don't seem to deter them at all!

Back in the day I used to put down dry broad bran which worked quite well, as they pig out on it but it swells & bursts their guts if they don't get the liquid to go with. Unfortunately it's just too wet atm to do - we've not had more than about 8 consecutive hours without any rain for at least 10 days.

https://www.naturalsupplies.co.uk/ I have used it successfully on my farm with aphids on brassicas Ryorry, it is food grade.

https://www.naturalsupplies.co.uk/collections/diatompest/products/diatompest-pes
You can mix it into water and spray with a garden sprayer, or just lay down. Like with other physical barriers it would need to be reapplied.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2019 23:07]

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024