Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR solution 15:37 - Jun 10 with 1299 viewsHeathlander

Why not have a process where the opposition captain can call for a review similar to that in cricket for a VAR decision. One review each. If it turns out the ref was wrong, the decision gets reversed and the review remains intact.

If the ref was right and the VAR proves this then that review is lost. One per team per game.
VAR solution on 15:42 - Jun 10 with 1285 viewsSouperJim

One review wouldn't be enough, multiple reviews and you could argue it's open to abuse. The officials should be calling the reviews, just making the correct calls and giving the same benefit of doubt which is given in the moment. Not overturning decisions by tiny margins.

Decisions should be overturned if they are clearly wrong or something blatant was missed. Not retrospectively awarding minor shirt pulls, offsides by a few millimetres etc.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

VAR solution on 15:44 - Jun 10 with 1276 viewsuefacup81

I agree that it should be along these lines.

Either the captain or the manager can request a review by means of some sort of visible signal (maybe like the flags used in the NFL). At the next break in play, the decision is then reviewed.

If the decision is overturned then play goes back to the original incident, and the review is reinstated, if the decision is upheld, play continues and the review is lost.

Can't see how that can be abused.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

VAR solution on 16:11 - Jun 10 with 1246 viewsnorfsufblue

VAR solution on 15:44 - Jun 10 by uefacup81

Either the captain or the manager can request a review by means of some sort of visible signal (maybe like the flags used in the NFL). At the next break in play, the decision is then reviewed.

If the decision is overturned then play goes back to the original incident, and the review is reinstated, if the decision is upheld, play continues and the review is lost.

Was thinking about this today.... dont think it can come down to millimetres so how about 0- 60% of player onside thats ok... 60- 100% of player is offside goes with umpires (Ref's)call so sticks with decision on pitch and obviously 100% offside decision is changed if given offside incorrectly.... sounds complicated but i know what i mean and those percentages could be changed a bit but the Refs call would allow teams to retain a close call challenge
VAR solution on 16:20 - Jun 10 with 1233 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

VAR solution on 15:44 - Jun 10 by uefacup81

I think a couple of reviews per half and leave it to the captain.

That way the referee continues to make the calls, if they get something obvious wrong then the player has a chance to appeal and get it looked at.

This means the players will eventually challenge stuff, lose and realise the refs do a good job and get most right, which should lower the amount of appeals.

The flip side is that the referees cannot simply give stuff or waive it away as easily as they may be tempted to as they know they could look very silly if it's reviewed.

It also stops the number of reviews.

Now here is my biggest issue with VAR so far ……

A player clearly offside is not flagged. That makes no sense. If the Assistant is certain then flag. If they aren't sure then don't, that's fine.

BUT as soon as the player then loses the ball, the whistle is then going for offside. This seems ridiculous, because if the ball goes in the goal, they give it, then check it and then decide whether to rule it out, but yesterday (Italy match) they played on, a tackle was made, they then gave the offside but the ball fell to another Italy player (who could have then shot and scored).

It wasn't actually offside but the flag went up once they thought the chance had ended - only it hadn't.

This whole not flagging when a player is 5 yards off and allowing the attack to carry on for 20 seconds is laughable. The old system was generally fine. Some close calls were wrong so let play continue. But how often (Chelsea v Cardiff aside) did you see an Assistant make a huge mistake by a few yards? Barely ever happened.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

VAR solution on 16:20 - Jun 10 with 1233 viewsIpswichKnight

That is exactly how it works in hockey except it's 1 review per half.
VAR solution on 19:21 - Jun 10 with 1181 viewsbournemouthblue

Two things which would improve VAR

1) Reviews

2) A video referee who makes the decision independent of the referee, rather than going to that stupid screen

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

VAR solution on 19:42 - Jun 10 with 1166 viewssundaze

VAR solution on 19:21 - Jun 10 by bournemouthblue

1) Reviews

2) A video referee who makes the decision independent of the referee, rather than going to that stupid screen

Agreed. It seems to take forever to make a decision, so why not use the same system as cricket.
No need for the ref to be involved in the review and the supporters at the match and tv audience, can follow the review as it happens.
VAR solution on 20:21 - Jun 10 with 1146 viewsRonFearonsHair

VAR solution on 19:21 - Jun 10 by bournemouthblue

1) Reviews

Just chuck it in the sea and let's pretend it never happened.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024