Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gardeners of TWTD 10:36 - Jun 1 with 1853 viewsfooters

... some advice please.

I'm going to plant some more herbs today to go along with my successful parsley plants. Bearing in mind everything I touch suddenly becomes very, very ill (animal, vegetable and, incredibly, mineral), which herbs are the least prima donnaish?

Ideally I would like to grow some basil and others I can use regularly in the kitchen.

Any pointers?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:40 - Jun 1 with 1472 viewsBluish

I'm not a gardener by any stretch of the imagination but our chives look and taste great in our garden right now.
Gardeners of TWTD on 10:42 - Jun 1 with 1470 viewswkj

Rosemary, Sage and Mint are rugged as feck. Basil and coriander can be really particular. This is the 3rd year in a row I have attempted to grow basil from seed and have lost the sapling shortly after it breeched the soil line.

One thing I recommend is knocking up a vertical box planter though. Striking feature to the kitchen, especially if living in a house or flat with limited space.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:46 - Jun 1 with 1457 viewsfooters

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:42 - Jun 1 by wkj

Rosemary, Sage and Mint are rugged as feck. Basil and coriander can be really particular. This is the 3rd year in a row I have attempted to grow basil from seed and have lost the sapling shortly after it breeched the soil line.

One thing I recommend is knocking up a vertical box planter though. Striking feature to the kitchen, especially if living in a house or flat with limited space.

That looks very good, thanks mister.

Ah, a shame about the basil as it's one I'd use a lot. I did hear that mint grows very well, but perhaps too well for some of its neighbours? Could just put it in a big pot I suppose...

Think the chives as recommended above would be a good shout, as well as some rosemary or sage too... but aren't they big bushes? Or am I being dense?

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:46 - Jun 1 with 1451 viewsDanTheMan

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:46 - Jun 1 by footers

Ah, a shame about the basil as it's one I'd use a lot. I did hear that mint grows very well, but perhaps too well for some of its neighbours? Could just put it in a big pot I suppose...

Think the chives as recommended above would be a good shout, as well as some rosemary or sage too... but aren't they big bushes? Or am I being dense?

Rosemary can get big but it takes years.

Sage does grow quite quickly.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:52 - Jun 1 with 1443 viewswkj

Gardeners of TWTD on 10:46 - Jun 1 by footers

Sage and Rosemary needs space as they're a big ol bush, and mint does creep, so you'd be sling that in a big pot with a big some coarse gravel in the base under the potting compost. Apparently the trick to basil is to transplant them early, they don't like sharing their pot/soil space with other plants - and keep them in sunshine as much as you can. They also have a really low tolerance to frost, so definitely suited to indoor planting.

Crybaby

Gardeners of TWTD on 11:46 - Jun 1 with 1396 viewsjeera

As others have said, you cannot go far wrong with rosemary, mint and sage (and chives) will all keep coming back and are pretty resilient.

Add thyme to that list, (see also lemon thyme etc).

Coriander and basil are one season wonders for me and I buy small plants early in the season knowing they'll have to be replaced over and again.

Pots/planters is the way to go for all your herbs surely. Look great and leaves you more soil space for French beans and mange tout!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:01 - Jun 1 with 1386 viewsfooters

Gardeners of TWTD on 11:46 - Jun 1 by jeera

As others have said, you cannot go far wrong with rosemary, mint and sage (and chives) will all keep coming back and are pretty resilient.

Add thyme to that list, (see also lemon thyme etc).

Coriander and basil are one season wonders for me and I buy small plants early in the season knowing they'll have to be replaced over and again.

Pots/planters is the way to go for all your herbs surely. Look great and leaves you more soil space for French beans and mange tout!

Cheers, jeera :)

I am very new to all this so a little experimentation is in order I reckon. Will see what they've got in the shops and play it by ear... If you mess it up I guess there's always next year- lessons learnt and all that!

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:03 - Jun 1 with 1383 viewswkj

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:01 - Jun 1 by footers

Cheers, jeera :)

I am very new to all this so a little experimentation is in order I reckon. Will see what they've got in the shops and play it by ear... If you mess it up I guess there's always next year- lessons learnt and all that!

If at first you don't succeed, buy a jar of schwartz

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:16 - Jun 1 with 1371 viewsfactual_blue

https://www.gp24.net/Garden-Community/Garden-Forum

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:18 - Jun 1 with 1367 viewswkj

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:16 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

13th November 2018 #NeverForget #AbsoluteScenes

Crybaby

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:18 - Jun 1 with 1365 viewsTractorWood

Rosemary is basically a weed, really difficult to get it wrong, you'll be fine with that outside. I'd grow basil inside.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:19 - Jun 1 with 1364 viewsfooters

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:16 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

Typical. I start a nice, wholesome thread and you come along and foul it up. Although if I were asking about vegetables you'd be the first person I'd ask.

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:25 - Jun 1 with 1350 viewsRyorry

My no.1 bit of advice - don't bother with Basil, he's never any joy - tried umpteen times with seed, planting out supermarket pots to grow on etc - never works. They need constant uninterrupted warm, moist and still conditions difficult to achieve even in a greenhouse.

Chives, parsley, sage, mint, thyme - all v. robust & will survive the most destructive gardener - watch out for mint & sage in particular, best kept in pots otherwise they'll soread like weeds. Thyme's great because you can buy several different types & they look as well as smell great.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:27 - Jun 1 with 1351 viewsfactual_blue

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:19 - Jun 1 by footers

Typical. I start a nice, wholesome thread and you come along and foul it up. Although if I were asking about vegetables you'd be the first person I'd ask.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024260/herb-garden

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:28 - Jun 1 with 1346 viewswkj

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:27 - Jun 1 by factual_blue

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1024260/herb-garden

balls

Crybaby

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:33 - Jun 1 with 1339 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Miss Slave says faceache groups.....'help I'm new to gardening' and 'crafty gardeners' are good.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:34 - Jun 1 with 1338 viewsfooters

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:25 - Jun 1 by Ryorry

My no.1 bit of advice - don't bother with Basil, he's never any joy - tried umpteen times with seed, planting out supermarket pots to grow on etc - never works. They need constant uninterrupted warm, moist and still conditions difficult to achieve even in a greenhouse.

Chives, parsley, sage, mint, thyme - all v. robust & will survive the most destructive gardener - watch out for mint & sage in particular, best kept in pots otherwise they'll soread like weeds. Thyme's great because you can buy several different types & they look as well as smell great.

Cheers, R.

Suppose what I really want is something that grows quick enough that I can take, use and go back frequently for more... Can't be waiting around for things to grow when there's cookin' to be done! ;)

As we're so late in the year I'll probably be buying the little pots. Probably not best practice but just want something ready to use.

Gardeners of TWTD on 17:18 - Jun 1 with 1259 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:34 - Jun 1 by footers

Cheers, R.

Suppose what I really want is something that grows quick enough that I can take, use and go back frequently for more... Can't be waiting around for things to grow when there's cookin' to be done! ;)

As we're so late in the year I'll probably be buying the little pots. Probably not best practice but just want something ready to use.

Greetings Monty. Oregano, Marjoram, many types of Mint, Lavender & all the other ones mentioned. Regards, Alan.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Gardeners of TWTD on 17:20 - Jun 1 with 1255 viewsfooters

Gardeners of TWTD on 17:18 - Jun 1 by StochesStotasBlewe

Greetings Monty. Oregano, Marjoram, many types of Mint, Lavender & all the other ones mentioned. Regards, Alan.

Was hoping for Charlie and her lovely Dimmocks tbh

Gardeners of TWTD on 19:50 - Jun 1 with 1190 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Gardeners of TWTD on 17:20 - Jun 1 by footers

Was hoping for Charlie and her lovely Dimmocks tbh

As her agent, i can arrange for Charlie & her lovely Dimmocks to give you her undivided attention at your domicile if you have a suitable water feature for a very reasonable fee.

If not, the kitchen sink will suffice.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Gardeners of TWTD on 19:53 - Jun 1 with 1184 viewsRyorry

Gardeners of TWTD on 19:50 - Jun 1 by StochesStotasBlewe

As her agent, i can arrange for Charlie & her lovely Dimmocks to give you her undivided attention at your domicile if you have a suitable water feature for a very reasonable fee.

If not, the kitchen sink will suffice.

I know someone who would probably be delighted to donate his butt ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Gardeners of TWTD on 20:47 - Jun 1 with 1153 viewsMelford

My Rosemary, Curryplant and Thyme have stayed out all winter and are going strong. Basil can be temperamental, as can Coriander. I've got Oregano, Sage, curly and flat parsley, chives and mint. Can't go wrong with any of those, just keep them watered.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Gardeners of TWTD on 20:50 - Jun 1 with 1150 viewsSpruceMoose

Gardeners of TWTD on 12:34 - Jun 1 by footers

Cheers, R.

Have you considered nettles?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gardeners of TWTD on 20:54 - Jun 1 with 1147 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Gardeners of TWTD on 20:50 - Jun 1 by SpruceMoose

Have you considered nettles?

He prefers Charlie.

Gardeners of TWTD on 21:18 - Jun 1 with 1126 viewsSpruceMoose

Gardeners of TWTD on 20:54 - Jun 1 by StochesStotasBlewe

He prefers Charlie.

You don't know the half of it...

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024