Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rory Stewart 23:09 - May 30 with 4050 viewsreusersfreekicks

Giving a good account of himself on question time. Would never vote Tory but he is possibly the most impressive of the lot past or present.
Rory Stewart on 23:23 - May 30 with 3032 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Bright guy with a good CV.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Rory Stewart on 23:30 - May 30 with 3022 viewsohmycampo

I vote Tory, cock
Rory Stewart on 23:35 - May 30 with 3013 viewsreusersfreekicks

Rory Stewart on 23:30 - May 30 by ohmycampo

I vote Tory, cock

Well done
Rory Stewart on 23:45 - May 30 with 2995 viewsslump

I vote Tory, cock

Have you considered the Brexit Party?

UTT

Rory Stewart on 00:06 - May 31 with 2967 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A man popular with people who would never vote Tory. Useless.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Rory Stewart on 00:17 - May 31 with 2936 viewsslump

Rory Stewart on 00:06 - May 31 by The_Last_Baron

A man popular with people who would never vote Tory. Useless.

English is my first language but I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to put across here?

What's your objection exactly?

UTT

Rory Stewart on 00:29 - May 31 with 2914 viewsStokieBlue

Surely you should vote for whoever has the manifesto you want implemented?

SB
[Post edited 31 May 2019 6:21]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Rory Stewart on 00:51 - May 31 with 2879 viewsjeera

Rory Stewart on 00:29 - May 31 by StokieBlue

Surely you should vote for whoever has the manifesto you want implemented?

SB
[Post edited 31 May 2019 6:21]

Steady Stokie, the OP is one of the good guys.

I know what he means, in as much as it would go against the grain to vote Tory for me too.

But yes of course, if you thought for one moment anyone would, (or indeed, could), actually stand by their manifesto then you're right it's policies that should appeal rather than tribal loyalties.

But when you've felt for so long that you cannot trust a party it is difficult to see past that.

And it's not the person we vote for is it as they can be replaced anyway.

But yes, he is appealing, especially against the present backdrop.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

Rory Stewart on 03:20 - May 31 with 2846 viewsSpruceMoose

I vote Tory, cock

Oh bollox! Did I miss the Tory Penis election?! Which one did you like most? Long, thin and aspirational or short, wide and old money?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Rory Stewart on 03:42 - May 31 with 2831 viewsWeWereZombies

Interesting interview with him in the Evening Standard on Tuesday:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/rory-stewart-i-ve-negotiated-in-iraq-i-

But I still see him as 'the least worst candidate'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rory Stewart on 06:29 - May 31 with 2757 viewsStokieBlue

Rory Stewart on 00:51 - May 31 by jeera

Steady Stokie, the OP is one of the good guys.

I know what he means, in as much as it would go against the grain to vote Tory for me too.

But yes of course, if you thought for one moment anyone would, (or indeed, could), actually stand by their manifesto then you're right it's policies that should appeal rather than tribal loyalties.

But when you've felt for so long that you cannot trust a party it is difficult to see past that.

And it's not the person we vote for is it as they can be replaced anyway.

But yes, he is appealing, especially against the present backdrop.

That's fair, I do understand I just think we need to get past the tribalism.

SB

Rory Stewart on 07:45 - May 31 with 2669 viewswrightsrightglove

Rory Stewart as leader of the Conservatives, Tom Watson as leader of Labour, Pete Buttigieg as President of the United States, the world would be a better place I think.
Rory Stewart on 07:51 - May 31 with 2656 viewsStokieBlue

Didn't mean to down vote that post.

SB

Rory Stewart on 08:21 - May 31 with 2612 viewstractordownsouth

His stance on Brexit is one that I am totally in agreement with. His voting record is pretty poor though

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Rory Stewart on 08:27 - May 31 with 2601 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rory Stewart on 08:21 - May 31 by tractordownsouth

His stance on Brexit is one that I am totally in agreement with. His voting record is pretty poor though

Can’t argue with this...

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rory Stewart on 08:32 - May 31 with 2587 viewsGuthrum

Rory Stewart on 00:17 - May 31 by slump

English is my first language but I'm struggling to understand what you are trying to put across here?

What's your objection exactly?

He is making the point that a party leader supported mostly by people who say they will never under any circumstances vote for that party is not a lot of use in winning an election.

However, he is also making the mistake, common in the media and elsewhere, of confusing the Conservative Party membership (around 100,000) with Conservative voters (13.6m, at the last General Election). The latter being much less hard-line than the former, but without appealing to them the party cannot hope to win an election.

By swinging hard to the right in pursuit of a few million UKIP/BP votes, the Tory Party risks alienating more than that among moderate/centrist supporters. They are already in a position where, in 2017, they were unable to secure a majority. Go too extreme and they could find themselves so weak thay cannot even form a coalition or minority government.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Rory Stewart on 08:36 - May 31 with 2577 viewsuefacup81

He seems good, very well-drilled and personable.

He seems very easily tripped up on his 'People's Assembly' idea though, which is a shame considering it seems to be his big idea.

On QT last night, and being interviewed by John Snow earlier in the week, he's shown that he's refused to even consider the possibility that the PA could come back recommending No Deal, or a second referendum.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Rory Stewart on 08:58 - May 31 with 2514 viewsfooters

Shame his voting record doesn't quite square with his soft soaping leadership election rhetoric.

But I suppose voting for the least worst option is what we've been reduced to.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Rory Stewart on 09:03 - May 31 with 2494 viewscrunchie1978

Was he smoking his smack pipe to?
No need for the personal abuse on 09:05 - May 31 with 2500 viewsDyland

I vote Tory, cock

Don't write anything you wouldn't say to someone's face. If you can't manage that you should go be a keyboard warrior elsewhere.

EDIT: Or are you a Northerner, cock?
[Post edited 31 May 2019 9:32]

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Rory Stewart on 09:09 - May 31 with 2480 viewsreusersfreekicks

Rory Stewart on 06:29 - May 31 by StokieBlue

That's fair, I do understand I just think we need to get past the tribalism.

SB

That is a valid point and to a large extent I agree. I wish the parties would work together for the common good more and cut out the adversarial stuff.
However my politics are not right of centre hence my statement
Rory Stewart on 09:13 - May 31 with 2460 viewsStokieBlue

Rory Stewart on 09:09 - May 31 by reusersfreekicks

That is a valid point and to a large extent I agree. I wish the parties would work together for the common good more and cut out the adversarial stuff.
However my politics are not right of centre hence my statement

I think we all wish this would happen.

It's going to have to happen as at the moment I don't see how anyone can win a majority.

SB

Rory Stewart on 09:31 - May 31 with 2422 viewsPinewoodblue

Rory Stewart on 08:32 - May 31 by Guthrum

He is making the point that a party leader supported mostly by people who say they will never under any circumstances vote for that party is not a lot of use in winning an election.

However, he is also making the mistake, common in the media and elsewhere, of confusing the Conservative Party membership (around 100,000) with Conservative voters (13.6m, at the last General Election). The latter being much less hard-line than the former, but without appealing to them the party cannot hope to win an election.

By swinging hard to the right in pursuit of a few million UKIP/BP votes, the Tory Party risks alienating more than that among moderate/centrist supporters. They are already in a position where, in 2017, they were unable to secure a majority. Go too extreme and they could find themselves so weak thay cannot even form a coalition or minority government.

The conservatives election process is seriously flawed. MPs from both sides of the party will be voting tactically to try and remove candidates before the final two are put to the vote of party members. Party members will then vote against the candidate they would least like to be leader. Two rounds of self interest when in reality what they should be looking for is someone who can lead them to victory in the future.

The LibDems will also be selecting a new leader this summer, their choice of leader could be just as important to our futures. They could easily attract sufficient leave voters to give them a real say going forward.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Rory Stewart on 09:36 - May 31 with 2409 viewshampstead_blue

I did some work for him a few years recruiting for his staff.
Was Ok to deal with but seemed to ham up his military and overseas exploits.

A bit insipid as a leader. Nice enough bloke, paid his bill on time, which always helps.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Rory Stewart on 10:03 - May 31 with 2350 viewsGuthrum

Rory Stewart on 09:31 - May 31 by Pinewoodblue

The conservatives election process is seriously flawed. MPs from both sides of the party will be voting tactically to try and remove candidates before the final two are put to the vote of party members. Party members will then vote against the candidate they would least like to be leader. Two rounds of self interest when in reality what they should be looking for is someone who can lead them to victory in the future.

The LibDems will also be selecting a new leader this summer, their choice of leader could be just as important to our futures. They could easily attract sufficient leave voters to give them a real say going forward.

I wouldn't say that is entirely a bad thing, as each faction within the Conservatives is trying to impose their own vision of where they want the party to go in the future. In an ideal world, they would separate entirely into individual parties, who could then group and form coalitions as necessary to pursue their aims.

That's pretty much how the modern parties started out, as coalitions of convenience for several allied factions, which then became heavily centralised and bureaucratic - particularly once campaign funding became a major issue.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024