Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'The 92' 12:29 - May 24 with 1872 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

I don't mean the grounds by the way. I mean mates.

How does this work?

Certain posters, no matter who the club we are buying from, have a 'mate' that supports them. Never ceases to amaze me the eclectic collection of footballing mates one keeps.

Even more impressive is these mates always talk down players, even ones like Holy that was linked with Arsenal last summer.

I'd like to think of myself as having a good numbers of mates but I can't fathom how these friendships work. Do these people have to now go out and befriend a Salford fan (never met one in my life) and do they sever ties with their Notts County mate or are they kept on just in case we are linked with a 44 a season goal machine from Meadow Lane that this mate wants to tag as a donkey?

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

'The 92' on 12:41 - May 24 with 1822 viewsSuperblue95

Considering the amount of people who use this forum on a regular or semi regular basis I don’t think it’s that crazy that somebody on here will have a mate who supports any given professional club in the country
[Post edited 24 May 2019 12:41]

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

'The 92' on 12:44 - May 24 with 1804 viewsWarkTheWarkITFC

'The 92' on 12:41 - May 24 by Superblue95

Considering the amount of people who use this forum on a regular or semi regular basis I don’t think it’s that crazy that somebody on here will have a mate who supports any given professional club in the country

That's not odd at all.

It's the same old posters that pop up with 'my mate supports x and y is absolutely rubbish'.

When it's West Ham and Arsenal it's believable. Gillingham is hardly a stretch given our location. I've already spoken to one Gills fan on the phone this morning at work.

But when it's Accrington, Gillingham, Shrewsbury and Forest Green …. Lol.

Poll: How many points from 18 would Lambert need to have to actually be sacked?
Blog: Ipswich Town and the Rotten Kitchen Cupboards

'The 92' on 12:46 - May 24 with 1798 viewsFixed_It

Having a mate in the first place is a good starting point. Glad to have helped.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

'The 92' on 12:54 - May 24 with 1756 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

'The 92' on 12:44 - May 24 by WarkTheWarkITFC

That's not odd at all.

It's the same old posters that pop up with 'my mate supports x and y is absolutely rubbish'.

When it's West Ham and Arsenal it's believable. Gillingham is hardly a stretch given our location. I've already spoken to one Gills fan on the phone this morning at work.

But when it's Accrington, Gillingham, Shrewsbury and Forest Green …. Lol.

Who are they - can’t say I’ve noticed it myself?
[Post edited 24 May 2019 12:54]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

'The 92' on 12:57 - May 24 with 1736 viewsTractorCam

Social media helps, I've spoke to plenty of people on twitter who support all sorts of clubs, I often ask someone like a Gillingham fan for example their opinions on Holy. Although I won't come on here claiming they're my mate, as you say some are definitely made up people.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

'The 92' on 13:09 - May 24 with 1693 viewsJ2BLUE

On a similar note i've always wondered how there is always at least one poster with an in depth knowledge of any player we are linked with. We could be linked with a 17 year old reserve from the Slovakian second division and someone will be able to post an essay on them as a player.

I think the answer to your question is that some are genuine and some just read forums and then put it forward as if a 'mate' has told them.

To answer my point, it's a combination of guesswork, delusion and googling. My favourite ever 'info' was from Danford last summer who said that Tilt was 'like Shittu with the footwork of JET'

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

'The 92' on 13:18 - May 24 with 1640 viewsElephantintheRoom

It's entirely plausible given the number of people on this site who have lived, worked in multiple locations - or went to uni.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

'The 92' on 13:20 - May 24 with 1625 viewsJimmyJazz

'The 92' on 13:18 - May 24 by ElephantintheRoom

It's entirely plausible given the number of people on this site who have lived, worked in multiple locations - or went to uni.

I personally have 91 mates, some of which actually exist.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Login to get fewer ads

'The 92' on 13:22 - May 24 with 1609 viewsBryanPlug

'The 92' on 13:09 - May 24 by J2BLUE

On a similar note i've always wondered how there is always at least one poster with an in depth knowledge of any player we are linked with. We could be linked with a 17 year old reserve from the Slovakian second division and someone will be able to post an essay on them as a player.

I think the answer to your question is that some are genuine and some just read forums and then put it forward as if a 'mate' has told them.

To answer my point, it's a combination of guesswork, delusion and googling. My favourite ever 'info' was from Danford last summer who said that Tilt was 'like Shittu with the footwork of JET'

[content removed at owner's request]

Poll: What should the status of a turntable lid be when playing records?

'The 92' on 13:24 - May 24 with 1604 viewsBasuco

What about work mates? I used to work where there was a Spurs, Palace, Watford, Colchester and Millwall fan, now in a much smaller company just Arsenal, Leeds and Luton fans. I am still in contact with mates from my previous job so the football supporting mates can quickly add up and that is without their football fan friends.
'The 92' on 13:27 - May 24 with 1584 viewshomer_123

'The 92' on 12:54 - May 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Who are they - can’t say I’ve noticed it myself?
[Post edited 24 May 2019 12:54]

I'm one!

Norwood - a FGR fan review by homer_123 17 May 2019 13:35
I've distilled a conversation with a FGR lifer on Norwood:

1. Knows where the back of the net is
2. A player you want in your team, not one you want to play against
3. Late developer but constantly improved over time at FGR (surprising many)
4. Work ethic is good (does the dirty stuff quite well)
5. Mid Championship player would be his top level but felt League 1 and 2, he will be seriously dangerous
6. Build a team around him though to get the best out of him, not that he's a primadonna but if you create chances for him....well, see point 1.
7. Can be sometimes, utterly frustrating, has the odd game where he looks nothing like the player you've seen over the last few weeks, this did become less and less over time but sometimes he is literally a different person
8. Should be a very good signing for us

The FGR lifer I refer to is a person I've known quite some time, having lived in the West Country for a while.

I've got mates that support Clubs all round the world, also, a lot of mates don't follow football at all. I' sure I'm no different to many on here.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

'The 92' on 13:33 - May 24 with 1560 viewsKieran_Knows

Football Manager helps, I've certainly found.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

'The 92' on 13:35 - May 24 with 1553 viewsitfcjoe

'The 92' on 13:33 - May 24 by Kieran_Knows

Football Manager helps, I've certainly found.

I used to speak to fellow FM researchers about signings but don't bother now as just got moaned at if I offered any negaivity about new signings!

I haven't seen anything live of Holy, but I wouldn't read too much into any 'links' with Arsenal, they obviously didn't go anywhere

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

'The 92' on 13:47 - May 24 with 1492 viewsSuperblue95

“like Shittu with the footwork of JET”

That would be one hell of a defender

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

'The 92' on 14:21 - May 24 with 1416 viewsGeoffSentence

'The 92' on 12:41 - May 24 by Superblue95

Yes, I think this is the collective 'fans' thing going on, where some people mistake a lot of people with one thing in common as a single entity. Wheras in fact it is just a lot of people.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

'The 92' on 14:28 - May 24 with 1396 viewsIllinoisblue

'The 92' on 13:35 - May 24 by itfcjoe

I used to speak to fellow FM researchers about signings but don't bother now as just got moaned at if I offered any negaivity about new signings!

I haven't seen anything live of Holy, but I wouldn't read too much into any 'links' with Arsenal, they obviously didn't go anywhere

and on the subject of links, let's not forget Vermund Brekke Skare was allegedly linked with Tottenham. Good job we beat them to it!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

'The 92' on 15:57 - May 24 with 1280 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

'The 92' on 14:28 - May 24 by Illinoisblue

and on the subject of links, let's not forget Vermund Brekke Skare was allegedly linked with Tottenham. Good job we beat them to it!

Elliott Hewitt was the next Gareth Bale and being tracked by all the big clubs...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

'The 92' on 16:16 - May 25 with 1137 viewsHullblue

'The 92' on 15:57 - May 24 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Elliott Hewitt was the next Gareth Bale and being tracked by all the big clubs...

We supposedly pipped Man Utd to Jamie Peters too didn’t we?

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024