Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... 12:59 - Apr 29 with 1406 viewsIP12

These are my own thoughts but if you want to 'down arrow' that's fine with me.....Over the last few weeks contributors to this forum have stressed the importance of ME and PL to the coming season. Please allow me to disagree with that. My thought are that the most important people are Lee O'Neill and Brian Klug. For several years we have been short of someone 'at the top' who can talk and deal with the footballing side of the business. The gentlemen Milne & Clegg may have been wonderful in their own respective worlds. I do not want ME dealing with player's transfers in or out of the club. That is where Lee O'Neill is so important. We must develop and RETAIN the young players that are the future of ITFC. Youngsters being developed by ITFC then disappearing to the big premier clubs is no good to us (or them). Playing for the big club's junior sides is no guarantee of future success (anyone remember Reece Wabara ??) This is the importance of Brian Klug plus the teams looking after the U23,U20 & U18 sides keeping the youngsters 'feet on the ground'.......Then I come to the Chambers / Skuse spot. My thoughts are that both of those players are important for the coming season. Skuse showed on Sat night that as a player he still has much to offer. For me, Chambers is there for his ability to lead and again provide the help for the youngsters in the first team. However Sat night's display may have many arguing with that. Being the owner and manager of the team IS important but to my way of thinking others are ahead of them for the coming year....Old Person's Rant Over.
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:01 - Apr 29 with 1377 viewsMrTown

Whether it is LO, ME or PL. Recruitment is crucial this summer, fail to recruit properly and we will stall to 10-12th in League 1.

If we don't make it out in attempt 1 I fear for this club.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 13:02]

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:01 - Apr 29 with 1371 viewsSuperblue95

That’s a hefty block of words

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:02 - Apr 29 with 1363 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure who you are disagreeing with. O'Neill and Klug are massively popular.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:05 - Apr 29 with 1341 viewsMrTown

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:02 - Apr 29 by J2BLUE

Not sure who you are disagreeing with. O'Neill and Klug are massively popular.

Agree, never seen a bad word against them, especially Klug.

Kulg is a background figure, he seems to hate the 'limelight'. Has done a superb job over recent years developing players and needs to change nothing over the summer.

As for LO, this summer is his first litmus test. Lets judge him come August.

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:05 - Apr 29 with 1340 viewsIP12

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:01 - Apr 29 by Superblue95

That’s a hefty block of words

I would have done it as a blog but I couldn't spell 'Blog'. Early stages of an 'unsound mind'...Now what did I go upstairs for ??
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:08 - Apr 29 with 1334 viewsitfcjoe

Unless O'Neill is given the responsibiltiy by Evans to actually get on with things then nothing can change

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:13 - Apr 29 with 1291 viewsIP12

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:05 - Apr 29 by MrTown

Agree, never seen a bad word against them, especially Klug.

Kulg is a background figure, he seems to hate the 'limelight'. Has done a superb job over recent years developing players and needs to change nothing over the summer.

As for LO, this summer is his first litmus test. Lets judge him come August.

I would agree with all of that. The point that I was trying to make is that in the great scheme of things their role (in my eyes) is more essential to the wellbeing of ITFC than that of ME & PL.
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:17 - Apr 29 with 1267 viewsElephantintheRoom

A few folorn hopes in there maybe? Lee O'Neill looks (and sounds) more like a junior PE teacher than a negotiator or spokesperson for the club. Klug hasn't spoken up much about the abuse of the academy over many years by many managers and one owner. Realistically if young players are retained it will be because nobody wants them - although Flynn Downes for example might see a brighter future at Luton than here - which shows how far Town have sunk as a refuge for young talent or even young players of limited but sufficient ability. I'm not sure even paper clips or white paint can be bought without clearance from ME - so expecting him not to negotiate transfers by text and Skype is not really very realistic - though your sentiments are spot on.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:22 - Apr 29 with 1241 viewsBasuco

A striker who can hold on to the ball and stop it coming straight back at the midfield/defence is a must.
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:23 - Apr 29 with 1227 viewsMrTown

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:13 - Apr 29 by IP12

I would agree with all of that. The point that I was trying to make is that in the great scheme of things their role (in my eyes) is more essential to the wellbeing of ITFC than that of ME & PL.

I think the work of LO, PL and BK are all intertwined for long term well being of ITFC. Obviously would imagine the final financial decisions will all be signed off by ME.

But LO needs a lot of freedom in recruitment this summer alongside PL or there was no point in his appointment.

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:24 - Apr 29 with 1222 viewsFtnfwest

In regards to Lee O'Neill agree entirely. We have been left behind by the other clubs over recent years off the pitch as well as on it and his involvement in developing a new way forward in both regards is critical. Klug, to me is already keeping his end of the bargain up but will continue to be key.
Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:27 - Apr 29 with 1196 viewsGuthrum

Pretty reasonable points. Altho it depends how far O'Neill's role (and influence over decisions) goes. Also whether he has the skills and knowlege to play such a major part in transfer dealings, particularly financial negotiations. Evans does have business experience in that last area - and is also the man writing the cheques, when it comes down to it.

Where O'Neill and Klug (plus Lambert and even Chambers, as club Captain) can have valuable input is as a panel of advisors for the owner in decisions on the footballing side. Perhaps, during McCarthy's tenure, he was a single, dominant voice, giving not enough variety of opinion or questioning of policy. After all, I bet Evans doesn't rely on just one source of information when directing his other businesses.

This may also have caused an issue previously when searching for new managers, there being potentially no advice from within the club.

Perhaps even drawing in some of the respected former players (Butcher, Wark, Burley, etc.) could prove helpful.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2019 13:30]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:47 - Apr 29 with 1135 viewsNo9

Saturdays result shows there is a problem in defence = SU, 12 shots & 9 corners.
The highlights show Towns defenders as spectators.
PL's experimenting has shown him the extent of the problems and the massive amount of work needed to re-build.
We have to hope he can convince the Owner this isn't going to be cheap otherwise Div 4 beckons
Why do you even continue to bother? (n/t) on 13:49 - Apr 29 with 1125 viewsDyland

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 13:17 - Apr 29 by ElephantintheRoom

A few folorn hopes in there maybe? Lee O'Neill looks (and sounds) more like a junior PE teacher than a negotiator or spokesperson for the club. Klug hasn't spoken up much about the abuse of the academy over many years by many managers and one owner. Realistically if young players are retained it will be because nobody wants them - although Flynn Downes for example might see a brighter future at Luton than here - which shows how far Town have sunk as a refuge for young talent or even young players of limited but sufficient ability. I'm not sure even paper clips or white paint can be bought without clearance from ME - so expecting him not to negotiate transfers by text and Skype is not really very realistic - though your sentiments are spot on.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Who / What's Important for the coming season..... on 16:27 - Apr 29 with 1000 viewsScuzzer

Wouldn't disagree with any of that.....but then again I'm an old git as well.

Established 1968

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024