Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Youngsters Overrated? 18:31 - Apr 23 with 7939 viewsRRB

Am I the only one that thinks that we are hyping up our academy too much. Nobody other than Lankester and Downes has really done much to impress.

Thoughts?
Youngsters Overrated? on 18:32 - Apr 23 with 6356 viewsfooters

Strong opening post.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:34 - Apr 23 with 6344 viewsRRB

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:32 - Apr 23 by footers

Strong opening post.

I'm just interested in everyone's opinion on our young players.
Youngsters Overrated? on 18:34 - Apr 23 with 6336 viewsRegencyBlue

I think there’s an element of that.

There is also the problem that the best prospects are poached by other Academies before they get anywhere near our first team!
Youngsters Overrated? on 18:36 - Apr 23 with 6315 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone expecting us to put out a team of academy products is missing the point. They are going to be used instead of loans. We already, arguably, have quite a few strong players in the squad for league one level who will add experience and steel.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:38 - Apr 23 with 6310 viewsRRB

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:36 - Apr 23 by J2BLUE

Anyone expecting us to put out a team of academy products is missing the point. They are going to be used instead of loans. We already, arguably, have quite a few strong players in the squad for league one level who will add experience and steel.

I see your point. But, I think Kenlock and Emmanuel have progressively got worse as the years have gone on.
Youngsters Overrated? on 18:39 - Apr 23 with 6277 viewsJ2BLUE

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:38 - Apr 23 by RRB

I see your point. But, I think Kenlock and Emmanuel have progressively got worse as the years have gone on.

I don't think Lambert is convinced by either of those. I would hope they are back up players.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:00 - Apr 23 with 6181 viewsblueislander

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:39 - Apr 23 by J2BLUE

I don't think Lambert is convinced by either of those. I would hope they are back up players.

I certainly think that Bishop, Downes, Lankester, Dozzell, and Kenlock will play big parts,as will Woolfenden. Emmanuel maybe . They really should all be could enough for the Third Division.
Youngsters Overrated? on 19:03 - Apr 23 with 6172 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

If they weren't that good they wouldn't be consistently picked for the England youth sides.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Login to get fewer ads

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:19 - Apr 23 with 6112 viewsScuzzer

Dozzell has definitely benefitted from his name. Have not seen anything from him to show he is going to be worthy of a starting place...even in L1.
We must wait and see on Bishop...his series of injuries clearly has cast some doubt in PL's mind.
Kenlock has suffered from playing in the formation that PL has persisted with.
Emmanuel should have been playing in our team to learn his trade instead of being loaned out.

Established 1968

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:24 - Apr 23 with 6094 viewsblueislander

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:19 - Apr 23 by Scuzzer

Dozzell has definitely benefitted from his name. Have not seen anything from him to show he is going to be worthy of a starting place...even in L1.
We must wait and see on Bishop...his series of injuries clearly has cast some doubt in PL's mind.
Kenlock has suffered from playing in the formation that PL has persisted with.
Emmanuel should have been playing in our team to learn his trade instead of being loaned out.

You reckon that all the games he has played for the England age group teams were because of his name?
Youngsters Overrated? on 19:33 - Apr 23 with 6059 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes. I’ve posted on this before. There’s potential, but ultimately fans do view them through blue tinted specs. It’s been that way for years. Trotter, Garvan, all the hype over our youth cup winners that came to nothing, etc. Those who have gone on to make a name for themselves had to drop down to do it.

Obviously doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have our full support of course. Some may make it so it’s worth persevering.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:33 - Apr 23 with 6058 viewsITFC_Forever

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:00 - Apr 23 by blueislander

I certainly think that Bishop, Downes, Lankester, Dozzell, and Kenlock will play big parts,as will Woolfenden. Emmanuel maybe . They really should all be could enough for the Third Division.

Nydam as well.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:33 - Apr 23 with 6052 viewsRRB

Youngsters Overrated? on 19:24 - Apr 23 by blueislander

You reckon that all the games he has played for the England age group teams were because of his name?

I'd partly agree that it's his name. He only has a good pass on him. Nothing else
Youngsters Overrated? on 20:13 - Apr 23 with 5961 viewsmonty_radio

Youngsters Overrated? on 18:38 - Apr 23 by RRB

Or is it more that you get a lot of goodwill and excusing as you make your way in, but this drains away if not replaced by genuine admiration for undeniable quality added to the team.

If Emmanuel was going to rise to that second level it would likely have been after his first loan spell at Rotherham. A full season later there is little evidence of eclipsing Bree, who is no more than average to quite good at times.

Kenlock can look reasonable in the attacking half, but Freddie regularly looked the better defender when tracking back.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Youngsters Overrated? on 20:13 - Apr 23 with 5958 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

You're not the only one, it's been posted a fair bit.

I also suspect that most supporters over hype their own academy products.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Youngsters Overrated? on 20:22 - Apr 23 with 5906 viewsPinewoodblue

If they are good enough to be capped for their country they should be good enough for you.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Youngsters Overrated? on 20:32 - Apr 23 with 5875 viewsjas0999

Overrated? No.

Capable of winning games in a League One - week in week Out? No.

Do we have the senior pros good enough to support on the pitch? No.

Will we get promoted on the cheap with just kids? No.
Youngsters Overrated? on 21:15 - Apr 23 with 5778 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Very few get a consistent run of games. Captain Fantastic however, seems to get a free pass come what may. Kenlock has improved a lot with the extended run he had then Gets scapegoated for the PNE result along with Josh who's not had a fair crack from MM or PH. Despite being Rotherham's young player of the year last season he got farmed out again to Shrewsbury and PL keeps chopping him with Bree who won't be here next season. Confidence is bound to be affected if you are in one game out the next, especially when you are trying to establish yourself in the 1st team.. Bishop, Dozzell, and Downes all have been affected by this and they should all have been in the last 6/8 games with extended runs in the team. instead of the loanees, results don't matter its about looking for next year and Swansea wasn't much better than PNE because the problem is we cannot score goals and we are constantly under pressure because our goal threat is terrible. Not giving the kids a run post relegation confirmation, his contradiction of playing loans and reluctance to play two up top is leading me to question in Lambert is all pish and wind? BTW, I can see Downes going to Luton if they come in for him.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

Youngsters Overrated? on 21:20 - Apr 23 with 5754 viewsfooters

Youngsters Overrated? on 21:15 - Apr 23 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Very few get a consistent run of games. Captain Fantastic however, seems to get a free pass come what may. Kenlock has improved a lot with the extended run he had then Gets scapegoated for the PNE result along with Josh who's not had a fair crack from MM or PH. Despite being Rotherham's young player of the year last season he got farmed out again to Shrewsbury and PL keeps chopping him with Bree who won't be here next season. Confidence is bound to be affected if you are in one game out the next, especially when you are trying to establish yourself in the 1st team.. Bishop, Dozzell, and Downes all have been affected by this and they should all have been in the last 6/8 games with extended runs in the team. instead of the loanees, results don't matter its about looking for next year and Swansea wasn't much better than PNE because the problem is we cannot score goals and we are constantly under pressure because our goal threat is terrible. Not giving the kids a run post relegation confirmation, his contradiction of playing loans and reluctance to play two up top is leading me to question in Lambert is all pish and wind? BTW, I can see Downes going to Luton if they come in for him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paragraph

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Youngsters Overrated? on 21:39 - Apr 23 with 5678 viewsFtnfwest

I reckon there’s got to be a slight rethink because I believe the type of player we produce generally would do as well in the prem as in the championship or possibly league 1. They seem to get overwhelmed in the championship but maybe although it will be even more physical their quality on the ball may be enough to give them a bit more time
Youngsters Overrated? on 21:44 - Apr 23 with 5657 viewsWestcountryblue

Youngsters Overrated? on 21:15 - Apr 23 by Jonnosdreadlocks

Downes wasn't brought in by Mick Harford who is their interim manager.

Plus, i can't see Luton forking out 2m plus for Downes. He's a talented player in an inflated market. He won't leave cheaply.
Youngsters Overrated? on 21:47 - Apr 23 with 5638 viewsWestcountryblue

Bishop, Lankester and Woolfenden will be key players next year, the first two especially.

I have my concerns of Dozzell, but you have to remember he missed nearly a year of football and development, both in terms of football and physically. He has all of the tools to play at a high level, he just needs time and to be eased in. He will benefit from a good preseason.

Nydam is struggling to find a position. Useful and clever player though.

Kenlock, Emmanuel, Morris and Folami are doubts though, the first two over ability, the second two given how serious their injuries have been.
Youngsters Overrated? on 22:41 - Apr 23 with 5512 viewsnodge_blue

Sadly I think you are right. But bishop is quality if he can stay fit.

I am really disappointed in dozzell. He does very little. He’s obsessed with one touch passing which often doesn’t go to the man. Sometimes you need to take a touch or two and wait for the team mate to find space.

Kenlock is ok but not much more.

Downes has decent moments but creatively is 0 goals and possibly 0 assists.

We can’t go down the youth route as much as lambert would like or we will be toast.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Youngsters Overrated? on 07:29 - Apr 24 with 5274 viewsmuccletonjoe

Would help if we played a system that suited them . Nydam , Kenlock, Downes , Bishop, Wolfenden and Lankester are all good enough to be regulars under the right manager. The rest are for the checkatrade
Youngsters Overrated? on 08:20 - Apr 24 with 5181 viewsChurchman

Youngsters Overrated? on 07:29 - Apr 24 by muccletonjoe

Would help if we played a system that suited them . Nydam , Kenlock, Downes , Bishop, Wolfenden and Lankester are all good enough to be regulars under the right manager. The rest are for the checkatrade

The younger players have no chance without a spine to the team. Just look at any of the decent sides of the past. They all had one. We just don’t have that now and given Evans’ mutterings and no scouting system, it’s going to take a lot of effort and skill on Lambert’s part to find one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024