Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cultural Appropriation 20:53 - Apr 14 with 2801 viewsMelford

Since when has this become a massive thing to be offended by? So if you work artistically or cook food from a culture you haven't grown up in everybody's up in arms about it.
I don't normally defend Gordon Ramsay because I think he's a c*** but I think this is silly

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/14/gordon-ramsay-defends-lucky-cat

It's food, if it tastes like it should then what's the problem? I can cook classic Italian, French, Greek and Indian stuff, especially the Indian stuff. If I put on a curry night now with a buffet of a different curries am I culturally appropriating Indian culture?

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Cultural Appropriation on 20:58 - Apr 14 with 2773 viewsGeoffSentence

It is a bizarre thing for people to get worked up about. I always thought that what people are now calling 'cultual appropriation' was a a good thing, different cultures coming together and enjoying the best of each other, but it seems not. Though, to me it seems like the inevitable consequence of this will be a sort of cultural apartheid where everybody is only allowed to stick to their own culture.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cultural Appropriation on 21:10 - Apr 14 with 2734 viewsMelford

Cultural Appropriation on 20:58 - Apr 14 by GeoffSentence

It is a bizarre thing for people to get worked up about. I always thought that what people are now calling 'cultual appropriation' was a a good thing, different cultures coming together and enjoying the best of each other, but it seems not. Though, to me it seems like the inevitable consequence of this will be a sort of cultural apartheid where everybody is only allowed to stick to their own culture.

That's what I thought. The likes of George Harrison with his love of Indian music and The Police, Clash doing Bankrobber, Chicken Tikka Masala being invented over here and becoming a national favourite. I thought the whole point of multiculturalism is that it becomes a big melting pot we can all dip into and take this and that, instead of isolating in to your own little community that is sacred and nobody can touch.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Cultural Appropriation on 21:22 - Apr 14 with 2696 viewsJ2BLUE

Stupidity. Some people just need to find something to get offended about.

The network said the programme would see Ramsay “tested against the locals, pitting his own interpretations of regional dishes against the tried-and-true classics”.

The chef Eddie Huang said of the show: “Ramsay now wants to parachute into foreign food cultures and show the locals he can cook their cuisines better than they can.”

How dare he respect their opinion and ask them to rate his food?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cultural Appropriation on 21:25 - Apr 14 with 2685 viewsbrogansnose

Cultural Appropriation on 21:10 - Apr 14 by Melford

That's what I thought. The likes of George Harrison with his love of Indian music and The Police, Clash doing Bankrobber, Chicken Tikka Masala being invented over here and becoming a national favourite. I thought the whole point of multiculturalism is that it becomes a big melting pot we can all dip into and take this and that, instead of isolating in to your own little community that is sacred and nobody can touch.

Then you look at the Rolling Stones, and others, who made the blues acceptable for a mass market. To be fair this was from a love of the music from these bands which subsequently brought artistes like Muddy Waters main stream acclaim. Spag Westerns being based on Japanese cinema. Its how things evolve whether it be music or food. Its when people don't acknowledge it's influences that it goes wrong or blatantly rip it off....................Led Zepp.
Cultural Appropriation on 21:35 - Apr 14 with 2653 viewsFtnfwest

In this instance with well over half the worlds population being Asian he’s got a pretty wide range to be authentic against
Cultural Appropriation on 22:21 - Apr 14 with 2547 viewsWeWereZombies

Cultural Appropriation on 21:10 - Apr 14 by Melford

What is this 'Bankrobber, chicken tikka masala' track and which Clash album is it on?

Actually I though it was balti that was made in Britain (the West Midlands to be exact) and not chicken tikka masala but maybe they both were.

What some call cultural appropriation is, I think, fine if the source is acknowledged. It is when an artist pretends that it is all their own creation that it is wrong.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 22:22]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Cultural Appropriation on 22:21 - Apr 14 with 2550 viewsfactual_blue

I think the trouble is the concept of 'cultural appropriation' has been demeaned by misuse over recent years.

It should be used in the context of using something from a culture that has been the subject of colonial dominance or similar (eg slavery in the USA) without proper acknowledgement of its origins.

To use an example from music, the Stones, Clapton and others in the first wave of the British Blues 'Explosion' acknowledged the musical heritage they were using, and ensured people like Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Skip James received due recognition (and the royalties they were due).

There were other musicians, however, who appropriated blues music and attempted to pass it off as their own: Led Zeppelin's first two albums are full of this.

If I've understood the Ramsay example properly, he's not passing off this food as his own invention, so I don't see the problem. Furthermore, there isn't (I suspect) a definitive jalfrezi any more than there's a definitive coq au vin: all these dishes are basically the peasant cooking of whichever country or region

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Cultural Appropriation on 22:23 - Apr 14 with 2538 viewsfactual_blue

Cultural Appropriation on 21:25 - Apr 14 by brogansnose

Then you look at the Rolling Stones, and others, who made the blues acceptable for a mass market. To be fair this was from a love of the music from these bands which subsequently brought artistes like Muddy Waters main stream acclaim. Spag Westerns being based on Japanese cinema. Its how things evolve whether it be music or food. Its when people don't acknowledge it's influences that it goes wrong or blatantly rip it off....................Led Zepp.

I've just said that - only less succinctly, and without reading your version first.

Have I therefore just culturally appropriated you? And do you feel violated?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Cultural Appropriation on 00:11 - Apr 15 with 2438 viewsGuthrum

"Cultural Appropriation" has been going on throughout human history. Indeed, the cultures being appropriated themselves took influences from elsewhere.

Much like pure ethnicity, pure culture is a myth.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cultural Appropriation on 00:24 - Apr 15 with 2421 viewsjeera

Cultural Appropriation on 22:21 - Apr 14 by WeWereZombies

What is this 'Bankrobber, chicken tikka masala' track and which Clash album is it on?

Actually I though it was balti that was made in Britain (the West Midlands to be exact) and not chicken tikka masala but maybe they both were.

What some call cultural appropriation is, I think, fine if the source is acknowledged. It is when an artist pretends that it is all their own creation that it is wrong.
[Post edited 14 Apr 2019 22:22]

Chicken tikka masala allegedly has its roots in Glasgow of all places.

Balti, as it's represented in many an Indian restaurant in this country, was as you say 'invented' around Birmingham wasn't it, (although I wouldn't touch either myself as they're not my thing).

I would understand someone from Baltistan being a bit put out that someone had put their homeland's name to some made-up dish in another far away land.
[Post edited 15 Apr 2019 1:27]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Cultural Appropriation on 05:54 - Apr 15 with 2312 viewsbrogansnose

Cultural Appropriation on 22:23 - Apr 14 by factual_blue

I've just said that - only less succinctly, and without reading your version first.

I feel more for Mellers who is now in danger of having an army of Trip Advisors, Vloggy / Bloggy types and peasant chefs from around the World descending on his restaurant seeing as he's declared himself the Pol Pot of cusine.
Cultural Appropriation on 08:27 - Apr 15 with 2178 viewsDubtractor

Cultural Appropriation on 22:23 - Apr 14 by factual_blue

Yours was an extended cover version I think?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cultural Appropriation on 08:45 - Apr 15 with 2148 viewsGeoffSentence

Cultural Appropriation on 22:21 - Apr 14 by factual_blue

I think the trouble is the concept of 'cultural appropriation' has been demeaned by misuse over recent years.

It should be used in the context of using something from a culture that has been the subject of colonial dominance or similar (eg slavery in the USA) without proper acknowledgement of its origins.

To use an example from music, the Stones, Clapton and others in the first wave of the British Blues 'Explosion' acknowledged the musical heritage they were using, and ensured people like Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Skip James received due recognition (and the royalties they were due).

There were other musicians, however, who appropriated blues music and attempted to pass it off as their own: Led Zeppelin's first two albums are full of this.

If I've understood the Ramsay example properly, he's not passing off this food as his own invention, so I don't see the problem. Furthermore, there isn't (I suspect) a definitive jalfrezi any more than there's a definitive coq au vin: all these dishes are basically the peasant cooking of whichever country or region

Misuse may be the problem. Recently I have seen people getting the hump over white people wearing corn rows as an issue of cultural appropriation, which is not something that I see a problem with. To me it is just the world mixing and blending, and I don't see that as any different from a Thai chooising to wear jeans and t-shirt.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cultural Appropriation on 09:37 - Apr 15 with 2098 viewsGlasgowBlue

God help us if it reaches this sort of American ridiculousness

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Cultural Appropriation on 10:01 - Apr 15 with 2068 viewschicoazul

And to think you all used to laugh at me and shout at me when I criticised egalitarianism in this country.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cultural Appropriation on 10:15 - Apr 15 with 2032 viewsMJallday

he's bang on.

critisie his food and cooking if you dont like it, but this critic effectively took it to a personal level against one of his chefs. she should be ashamed of herself.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024