Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... 10:13 - Apr 11 with 4521 viewsm14_blue

How have we allowed it to become such a massive deal and do such immense damage to our country and its people? I don't mean that as a dig at one side or the other, just at the process in general.

It's a fringe issue really, a squabble between two wings of the Tory Party that morphed into an argument between the Traditional Monied Elite (Brexit) and the 'new' establishment (Business, Parliament etc).

The EU was never a particularly big issue for anyone outside of a few UKIP loons and never featured very highly on concerns heading into elections. Bluntly, almost all of the populace neither knew nor cared about trade deals, customs unions, ECHR etc etc and it didn't impact their day to day life at all.

Yet we have allowed the media and a few politicians to whip up such a storm that families are divided, friendships ended, MP's getting death threats and usually sensible people are talking about TREASON and civil unrest. The whole thing is just mad.

We don't seem to be angry about children being murdered daily with no police left to stop it.
We don't take to the streets about the NHS being under unprecedented pressure, with cancer rates and A&E wait times moving in the wrong direction.
We don't talk about the fact that many crimes are no longer even investigated in the 5th richest country in the world.
We don't protest about our prison system nearing collapse.
We don't ring radio shows to loudly rant about the deterioration of the education system and ever worsening shortage of teachers.
We don't see many threads on here bemoaning the embarrassing lack of infrastructure and increased problems on our roads and rail (potholes anyone!).

We have somehow become all consumed with this fringe issue that no one cared about 5 years ago.

When you actually stop and think about it, it's absolutely bonkers.

I don't know how or why we've ended up at this point but I'd be very interested to hear CIL's views on it, particularly regarding the role of the media. Someone must be benefiting from this situation and it certainly isn't us.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:19 - Apr 11 with 3727 viewsLord_Lucan

David Davis was on LBC this morning and spoke very well, worth a catch up for anyone with a brain that isn't polarised. I think he was on around 9.30, maybe a bit before. Some interesting takes on Germany and France.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:26 - Apr 11 with 3713 viewshampstead_blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:19 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

David Davis was on LBC this morning and spoke very well, worth a catch up for anyone with a brain that isn't polarised. I think he was on around 9.30, maybe a bit before. Some interesting takes on Germany and France.

He was also on the Today programme.
Sensible lad.

Ken Clarke was also on R4 this morning talking calm and relaxed sense.

It has polarised many. The hype I think began with the campaign. Both sides went for max B/S which didn't help. It's just carried on from there.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:27 - Apr 11 with 3710 viewslinhdi

He banged on about getting the EU to re-open discussions on the Irish thingy, which they have already refused to do, repeatedly and consistently. He is a fraud, one of those Little Englanders who still expects Johnny Foreigner to bow down to our imperial might.
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:30 - Apr 11 with 3694 viewsSwansea_Blue

It doesn't matter how well he spoke, he was spouting absolute nonsense about things that can't happen. Talking again about reopening negotiations on the Withdrawal Agreement, which has been explicitly and repeatedly ruled out. It's even in the text of the extension agreement:

"The European Council reiterates that there can be no opening of the Withdrawal Agreement, and that any unilateral commitment, statement or other act should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement and must not hamper its implementation."

Sadly, people are still getting sucked in to the fantasies.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:35 - Apr 11 with 3666 viewsSwansea_Blue

Spot on OP. There are some serious issues there that are being allowed to continue unchallenged, whilst we tear ourselves apart over something that costs the tiniest fraction of our government spending. It's insane.

The distraction is very convenient for the government given their performance in other areas, but I wouldn't go sao far as suggesting they've got the wherewithal to actually manufacture the situation deliberately.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:37 - Apr 11 with 3658 viewsBloomBlue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:30 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

It doesn't matter how well he spoke, he was spouting absolute nonsense about things that can't happen. Talking again about reopening negotiations on the Withdrawal Agreement, which has been explicitly and repeatedly ruled out. It's even in the text of the extension agreement:

"The European Council reiterates that there can be no opening of the Withdrawal Agreement, and that any unilateral commitment, statement or other act should be compatible with the letter and the spirit of the Withdrawal Agreement and must not hamper its implementation."

The EU is always changeing their minds. EU rules stated (within law) if a Country invoked A50 they had to leave after 2 years, the EU have now changed that twice that's why some people will take what the EU say as meaning nothing.
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:39 - Apr 11 with 3646 viewsLord_Lucan

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:30 - Apr 11 by Swansea_Blue

You don't really get "Life" do you.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:41 - Apr 11 with 3628 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:39 - Apr 11 by Lord_Lucan

You don't really get "Life" do you.

That should be aimed at David Davis. He's the one butting up against reality all the time.

Login to get fewer ads

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:41 - Apr 11 with 3619 viewsGlasgowBlue

We were told that the EU wouldn’t extend article 50. They have now done it twice. Everything is negotiable.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:43 - Apr 11 with 3617 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:37 - Apr 11 by BloomBlue

The EU is always changeing their minds. EU rules stated (within law) if a Country invoked A50 they had to leave after 2 years, the EU have now changed that twice that's why some people will take what the EU say as meaning nothing.

No it doesn't. A50 allows for a mutually agreeable extension. And it's been at our request twice, not because they are changing their mind.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:45 - Apr 11 with 3611 viewsSwansea_Blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:41 - Apr 11 by GlasgowBlue

We were told that the EU wouldn’t extend article 50. They have now done it twice. Everything is negotiable.

Were we? Well, we'll see. As I pointed out to Bloom, A50 specifically allows for extensions. You know that.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:48 - Apr 11 with 3598 viewsN2_Blue

24 hour news, social media are contributory factors.
It's the start of the end

Your post is excellent, because you are right, we have really lost sight of the important things. Sure the EU is a big thing whatever your view but not at the cost of all the other more direct problems this country has. Basically nothing has happened in this country for 2 years and that damage is probably irreparable now.
We are losing a grip on society in this country and crime and racism is escalating at an alarming rate. In or out of the EU that does not change. We need to somehow address it but Brexit/trade/movement of people will be the focus for at least the next 5 years.
This country is not going to be a fun place for a long long time. We are in such a mess now. If we think social order is a mess now worry about the next generation as education slips alarmingly and more children are growing up in poverty than ever before...thats where it all starts.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:54 - Apr 11 with 3558 viewsLord_Lucan

Can you just imagine The TWTD negotiating team?

FFS!

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:56 - Apr 11 with 3551 viewshampstead_blue

The EU change the rules when it suits them.

If you read Yanis Veroufakis 'Adults in the Room' and 'The weak suffer what they must' you'll note that the EU bent, changed, warped the rules to suit their own ends on many occasions.

They are being stubborn and pushing back. When May get's chucked out of #10 and we get a real leader and PM, the EU will also see her deal get shredded.

They should be careful for what they force. A Brexit minded PM will simply walk out of the room.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:03 - Apr 11 with 3505 viewsPendejo

"Someone must be benefiting from this situation and it certainly isn't us."

Someone somewhere certainly is... just like the last recession many people made money, largely by taking advantage of others.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:05 - Apr 11 with 3487 viewsN2_Blue

m14_blue. You ask who is benefiting. I suggest the wealthy with links to media.

I'm not sure but maybe this article is interesting to you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853444

As the top echelons of society get richer the majority including swatches of middle class are getting poorer.
This may also be the root cause for a lot of societal issues currently on a worldwide level in the Western world.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:06 - Apr 11 with 3483 viewsBOjK

I think you've summarised to me precisely what it wrong with Brexiteers - a complete misunderstanding of the EU27's position, either deliberately or accidentally.

Some things just seem entirely non-negotiable.

Being full (or nearly-full) members of the Single Market without accepting free movement

Cameron tried hard, and failed.

Removing the backstop.

May, Davis, Barclay, and Raab all tried. All failed. The EU have been entirely consistent in this. They've got Ireland's back.

And some things are negotiable.

The details of the political declaration (whether we want to be in a/the customs union).
What date we leave.

Just because some things move, doesn't mean everything can

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:10 - Apr 11 with 3461 viewsMattinLondon

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:56 - Apr 11 by hampstead_blue

If you read Yanis Veroufakis 'Adults in the Room' and 'The weak suffer what they must' you'll note that the EU bent, changed, warped the rules to suit their own ends on many occasions.

They are being stubborn and pushing back. When May get's chucked out of #10 and we get a real leader and PM, the EU will also see her deal get shredded.

They should be careful for what they force. A Brexit minded PM will simply walk out of the room.

The EU change the rules when it suits them?

A bit like any other major country or organisation then.
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:14 - Apr 11 with 3446 viewsRyorry

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:10 - Apr 11 by MattinLondon

The EU change the rules when it suits them?

A bit like any other major country or organisation then.

... or Tory party ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:16 - Apr 11 with 3440 viewschicoazul

*Some* things are negotiable, not everything. This is the kind of blatant disregard for a counter parties negotiating position that got us into this mess in the first place. It is, i feel, highly irresponsible of you to peddle this, even if it is only to a few dozen dhillons on a message board

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:17 - Apr 11 with 3433 viewschicoazul

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:06 - Apr 11 by BOjK

I think you've summarised to me precisely what it wrong with Brexiteers - a complete misunderstanding of the EU27's position, either deliberately or accidentally.

Some things just seem entirely non-negotiable.

Being full (or nearly-full) members of the Single Market without accepting free movement

Cameron tried hard, and failed.

Removing the backstop.

May, Davis, Barclay, and Raab all tried. All failed. The EU have been entirely consistent in this. They've got Ireland's back.

And some things are negotiable.

The details of the political declaration (whether we want to be in a/the customs union).
What date we leave.

Just because some things move, doesn't mean everything can

You put it much better than me!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:21 - Apr 11 with 3412 viewsRyorry

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 10:56 - Apr 11 by hampstead_blue

"A Brexit minded PM will simply walk out of the room."

Any contemplating that should be reminded of this, from one of their own party - they'd be vilified for decades to come if they actually went ahead -

http://www.rorystewart.co.uk/no-deal/

(my thanks to whoever it was on here first posted the link).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:38 - Apr 11 with 3359 viewsm14_blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:05 - Apr 11 by N2_Blue

m14_blue. You ask who is benefiting. I suggest the wealthy with links to media.

I'm not sure but maybe this article is interesting to you:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-47853444

As the top echelons of society get richer the majority including swatches of middle class are getting poorer.
This may also be the root cause for a lot of societal issues currently on a worldwide level in the Western world.

Cheers, I'll check it out.
Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 12:20 - Apr 11 with 3291 viewshampstead_blue

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 11:21 - Apr 11 by Ryorry

"A Brexit minded PM will simply walk out of the room."

Any contemplating that should be reminded of this, from one of their own party - they'd be vilified for decades to come if they actually went ahead -

http://www.rorystewart.co.uk/no-deal/

(my thanks to whoever it was on here first posted the link).

I think that RS is looking at the worst of No Deal but I do agree that No Deal is by far the worst option.
No Deal is not ideal, but you cannot take it off the table.

My point is not that a Brexiteer PM would stick two fingers up and crash us out. It is more in hope that they will be able to get us a better FINAL deal.

May's deal probably won't change. It's the final deal I am looking toward.

I had not seen the link so thanks for sharing it.

Here's what I don't really get about Brexit... on 15:21 - Apr 11 with 3186 viewsNo9

LL- in old fashioned language David Davis is lazy & dishonest
The onl noteable thing he did in his time as brexit secretary was to comandeer and RAF jet to fly him round the EU at an estimated £70k per flight
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024