Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! 11:01 - Mar 11 with 4188 viewslinhdi

I was out on official CAMRA business yesterday (I know, it's hard work....) And we popped into the Walnut Tree having heard it had new licensees.

It has changed a bit. Now has half a dozen interesting and varied cask ales from near and far, plus 10 varied craft keg. Beers were in excellent condition, prices sensible.

And, for the brave, you can try the whole lot by getting a 16-beer flight. Apparently you can share this. It looks magnificent.

For drivers, there were a couple of low alcohol options. Including an utterly incredible vanilla-imperial stout at 0.5% that honestly you wouldn't mind spending a session on, and still be fine to drive home.

I have no connection to the pub, of course, but did promise them I'd pop a note up here, as many of you lot live in Stowmarket, and may not realise what a gem you now have in town!

No pool or darts now, but regular bring-your-own vinyl nights. No food (they claim) but pork pies, scotch eggs and sausage rolls constitute food for me!!!

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 11:30 - Mar 11 with 4114 viewsNo9

Sounds like a real pub - in this day & age you have to wish them well
on 11:42 - Mar 11 with 4094 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 12:52 - Mar 11 with 3986 viewsflimflam

Yep can confirm the new makeover is decent and long overdue as have had lots of landlords in over the last few years and was all the same old same old. The pub was tired and should of been doing better as has a decent location and serves pretty much that end of the town so a decent catchment area.
Nice to pop in with a mate who lives just round the corner and not see all the dregs of Stowmarket in there which is what it attracted previously.

Add in the Welly, Gladstone, and William and its nice to have a few decent watering holes again.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 13:22 - Mar 11 with 3908 viewsFreddies_Ears

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 12:52 - Mar 11 by flimflam

Yep can confirm the new makeover is decent and long overdue as have had lots of landlords in over the last few years and was all the same old same old. The pub was tired and should of been doing better as has a decent location and serves pretty much that end of the town so a decent catchment area.
Nice to pop in with a mate who lives just round the corner and not see all the dregs of Stowmarket in there which is what it attracted previously.

Add in the Welly, Gladstone, and William and its nice to have a few decent watering holes again.

Agree - the Gladstone was great at the ITFC event last week, and the William excellent yesterday too. Lots of good pubs now!
Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 20:51 - Mar 11 with 3660 viewsGogs

Excellent pub. Stowmarket is well worth a visit for a pub crawl. On an all dayer, if travelling by train, probably easiest to start at Gladstone and possibly the Magpie in Combs ford, then the Willow Tree (definitely one of the better 'spoons i've been in, probably best bet for a quick food stop), then the Walnut Tree, The Royal William (worth a couple in each of these last 2), the Little Wellington and the Kings Arms. For a small town that's an excellent crawl for the beer lover
on 06:57 - Mar 12 with 3509 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 20:51 - Mar 11 by Gogs

Excellent pub. Stowmarket is well worth a visit for a pub crawl. On an all dayer, if travelling by train, probably easiest to start at Gladstone and possibly the Magpie in Combs ford, then the Willow Tree (definitely one of the better 'spoons i've been in, probably best bet for a quick food stop), then the Walnut Tree, The Royal William (worth a couple in each of these last 2), the Little Wellington and the Kings Arms. For a small town that's an excellent crawl for the beer lover

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 07:35 - Mar 12 with 3462 viewsballycastle

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 20:51 - Mar 11 by Gogs

It is not many years ago that the Stag Tavern was the best pub in Stowmarket and beyond by a country mile, had its own brewery long before craft brewing was fashionable, it is still ok but a long way off it's best.
on 07:48 - Mar 12 with 3430 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 07:35 - Mar 12 by ballycastle

It is not many years ago that the Stag Tavern was the best pub in Stowmarket and beyond by a country mile, had its own brewery long before craft brewing was fashionable, it is still ok but a long way off it's best.

Login to get fewer ads

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 07:53 - Mar 12 with 3426 viewscrunchie1978

on 07:48 - Mar 12 by _

Noooooo they'll go to the non bitter or ale selling establishment that is the queens!
on 08:04 - Mar 12 with 3410 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 07:53 - Mar 12 by crunchie1978

Noooooo they'll go to the non bitter or ale selling establishment that is the queens!

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 09:04 - Mar 12 with 3357 viewscrunchie1978

on 08:04 - Mar 12 by _

Spoons it is then!
on 09:06 - Mar 12 with 3349 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 09:04 - Mar 12 by crunchie1978

Spoons it is then!

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 09:42 - Mar 12 with 3321 viewscrunchie1978

on 09:06 - Mar 12 by _

Oh sorry....I wasn't aware they serve behind the bar as well lol.
Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:04 - Mar 12 with 3301 viewsflimflam

The Stag used to be rammed Thur / Fri / Sat and you had to queue 1 in 1 out round the corner. That must of been around 1990ish.

After that it was The Oak with Chris and Ellie and was the main place to go and then after that The Dukes with fat Ron and was only a short walk to Lucky J's :-)

Queens seems to be the place to go these days for the youngsters and is like a youth club at the weekends which is why I go anywhere else as an old fart now who likes a bit of quiet now and again!!!

It usually goes in cycles of a few years and it changes but Queens seems to be bucking that trend but if it keeps all the young uns herded up in one place then thats OK by me.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 10:19]

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:08 - Mar 12 with 3295 viewsflimflam

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 07:35 - Mar 12 by ballycastle

I pop in there now and again as I know Porky the landlord quite well but it has seen better days. He gets a lot of the rugby lads in there being heavily involved in local rugby himself over the last 30 yrs and guess a three or four of them drink / spend more than twenty prepubescents in Queens on a Saturday night :-)

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:12 - Mar 12 with 3292 viewsDyland

"... an utterly incredible vanilla-imperial stout at 0.5% that honestly you wouldn't mind spending a session on, and still be fine to drive home. "

I can say without trying it that I would mind spending a session on that.

Sounds like a decent pub nonetheless :)

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:53 - Mar 12 with 3254 viewsballycastle

Yep it was at least 15 years ago, it seriously was a cracking pub, the then Landlord then took on the William turn d that into a really good pub and sold it.
Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 11:24 - Mar 12 with 3223 viewslinhdi

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:12 - Mar 12 by Dyland

"... an utterly incredible vanilla-imperial stout at 0.5% that honestly you wouldn't mind spending a session on, and still be fine to drive home. "

I can say without trying it that I would mind spending a session on that.

Sounds like a decent pub nonetheless :)

Tbf, I was shocked to find myself writing that! But, honestly, it was that good!
on 18:10 - Mar 12 with 3094 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 09:42 - Mar 12 by crunchie1978

Oh sorry....I wasn't aware they serve behind the bar as well lol.

on 18:15 - Mar 12 with 3089 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 10:04 - Mar 12 by flimflam

The Stag used to be rammed Thur / Fri / Sat and you had to queue 1 in 1 out round the corner. That must of been around 1990ish.

After that it was The Oak with Chris and Ellie and was the main place to go and then after that The Dukes with fat Ron and was only a short walk to Lucky J's :-)

Queens seems to be the place to go these days for the youngsters and is like a youth club at the weekends which is why I go anywhere else as an old fart now who likes a bit of quiet now and again!!!

It usually goes in cycles of a few years and it changes but Queens seems to be bucking that trend but if it keeps all the young uns herded up in one place then thats OK by me.
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 10:19]

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 18:47 - Mar 12 with 3048 viewsflimflam

on 18:15 - Mar 12 by _

Guess I know your old man then as played for the Cowboys for quite a few years :-)

on 18:56 - Mar 12 with 3036 views_

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 18:47 - Mar 12 by flimflam

Guess I know your old man then as played for the Cowboys for quite a few years :-)

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 19:06 - Mar 12 with 3022 viewsflimflam

on 18:56 - Mar 12 by _

Jona, Kiddo, Ste Cantwell, Paul Davis, et all yep

Edit Paul Davis was when I played for Stow Town not the Oak!
Or was it Stow Vandals as they all merge into one as almost 30 yrs ago!!!
[Post edited 12 Mar 2019 19:09]

Walnut Tree pub, Stowmarket - wow! on 19:41 - Mar 12 with 2973 viewsnorth_stand77

As a kid of 10/11, I would be sent round to the off licence at the Walnut with a plastic jug to collect 'a pint of sweet sherry off the wood' for my mum and her friends! Probably equivalent to a bottle of Prosecco today.
Nobody batted a eyelid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024