Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? 15:56 - Feb 12 with 954 viewsMeadowlark

League Cup tie 1972.
Gordon Banks was a superb goalkeeper.
Ipswich were trying to get something out of this tie at Portman Road and bombarding the opposition goal with shots and headers. The ball eventually came out to Viljoen on the edge of the area who spotted that Banks was slightly off his line. His superb chipped shot crept in under the bar with Banks helplessly trying to reach it with his fingertips.
It wasn't enough though. Stoke won 2-1.
I think it probably stuck in my memory because it was Gordon banks. RIP.
Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? on 16:00 - Feb 12 with 945 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Apparently that was in Oct 1972, same month as his car crash.

You must have seen one of his last professional matches.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? on 16:14 - Feb 12 with 920 viewsMeadowlark

Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? on 16:00 - Feb 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Apparently that was in Oct 1972, same month as his car crash.

You must have seen one of his last professional matches.

You're right.
Just checked. His last game was October 21st v Liverpool.
The match at Portman Road was October 3rd.
Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? on 16:23 - Feb 12 with 894 viewschristiand

Gordon Banks was a terrific keeper, one of the game's all-time greats and a true gentleman. Probably shaped how modern goalkeepers train and play now. I remember reading that he would often train in the afternoons to work on weaknesses in his game.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2019 16:49]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Does anyone remember when Colin Viljoen chipped Gordon Banks? on 17:43 - Feb 12 with 831 viewsWeWereZombies

I was at that match, in the North Stand. Which didn't appear to be segregated that evening. A lot of the impoverished Stoke fans had hitchhiked down for the game in filthy weather and they looked like a shift that had just come up from ten hours down the pit. Unfortunately I do not remember our goal, or even the result. It's the floodlights, they do that to memory...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024