Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In 'n' Out garages - MOTs 13:06 - Feb 1 with 1305 viewsuefacup81

Anyone got any experience of these places?

Just booked a full service & MOT for £133.95 (discounted rate) and apparently they charge £40 p/h for labour, which seems reasonable.

I know places like these will be targeted to identify as many faults as possible during the service, but what're these sort of places like for MOTs?

Would I be right in assuming that an MOT should be the same wherever I go in terms of pass/fail? Or are there grey areas that'll be a pass/fail depending on where you go?
[Post edited 1 Feb 2019 13:18]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 13:20 - Feb 1 with 1262 viewsuefacup81

Worth mentioning - I've not paid anything up front, so if they're awful I can easily walk away.

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 14:27 - Feb 1 with 1190 viewsSouperJim

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 13:20 - Feb 1 by uefacup81

Worth mentioning - I've not paid anything up front, so if they're awful I can easily walk away.

Last I read, the new MOT rules allow a dodgy garage to have a field day - if they declare something dangerous, you're not legally allowed to drive the car to another garage and they can call the police if you do. No idea if this is just scare mongering.

Personally I wouldn't let the likes of kwik fit near my car. Look for a good local independent on the good garage scheme or similar and read feedback from real customers.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 14:42 - Feb 1 with 1161 viewsDeano69

[Post edited 1 Feb 2019 14:57]

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 15:59 - Feb 1 with 1077 viewsjeera

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 14:27 - Feb 1 by SouperJim

Last I read, the new MOT rules allow a dodgy garage to have a field day - if they declare something dangerous, you're not legally allowed to drive the car to another garage and they can call the police if you do. No idea if this is just scare mongering.

Personally I wouldn't let the likes of kwik fit near my car. Look for a good local independent on the good garage scheme or similar and read feedback from real customers.

Got a decent insurance quote from Kwitfit for my mum's little car, with a free MOT as part of the incentive.

Drove the car to the MOT as you would normally, they tested it as a garage would normally, it passed with no hiccups and I drove it away. All perfectly normal.

No point in pretending everyone is a crook for the sake of it.

The new MOT rules are just to keep people in jobs. It gives someone, somewhere, in some office, something to tinker with. A car is still deemed safe or not for the road, as always. That hasn't changed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 16:08 - Feb 1 with 1062 viewsFixed_It

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 15:59 - Feb 1 by jeera

Got a decent insurance quote from Kwitfit for my mum's little car, with a free MOT as part of the incentive.

Drove the car to the MOT as you would normally, they tested it as a garage would normally, it passed with no hiccups and I drove it away. All perfectly normal.

The new MOT rules are just to keep people in jobs. It gives someone, somewhere, in some office, something to tinker with. A car is still deemed safe or not for the road, as always. That hasn't changed.

I have a theory that if you book Kwikfit MOT online, it's worth going for the later appointments. If you go in earlier, they are more likely to find something that they can 'fix' that day. If you go for a later appointment, they are less likely to want to keep your car as it would need to stay overnight.

I have no idea if this is scientifically accurate, but it worked for me on a sample of one when I once had to get my daughter's car MOTd at short notice (she had forgotten!).

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 16:16 - Feb 1 with 1044 viewsuefacup81

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 15:59 - Feb 1 by jeera

That's precisely what I'm thinking too, Jeera.

Would I be right in assuming that the whole process is regulated/controlled by the regulatory authority being able to call in unannounced at any time to check their work, or just being able to have an undercover vehicle MOTed to ensure that results are as they should be?

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 16:25 - Feb 1 with 1034 viewsWhymarkmariner

Not mentioning the garage names, but I spoke to the boss of a local garage and he told me that another garage in the Town had offered cheaper MOT's and that quite a few of his regulars had jumped ship and gone to them only to find that this "Cheaper MOT" had cost them more because they had found things wrong that needed money spent on them. Suffice to say they all returned to him when the next MOT was due. I know for a fact that this garage won't pass vehicles that have faults, but they also don't find things that aren't there either and their reputation goes back many years to the previous owner,
In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 16:30 - Feb 1 with 1021 viewsjeera

In 'n' Out garages - MOTs on 16:16 - Feb 1 by uefacup81

That's precisely what I'm thinking too, Jeera.

Would I be right in assuming that the whole process is regulated/controlled by the regulatory authority being able to call in unannounced at any time to check their work, or just being able to have an undercover vehicle MOTed to ensure that results are as they should be?

I think people are people mate, regardless.

I know of independents I wouldn't touch with a barge pole, knowing how dodgy they are; unnecessary work such as whole engines being replaced at the expense of naive customers.

As always, try to get some local feedback where possible, but something as basic as an MOT shouldn't be an issue at most places surely. Wait for the car if concerned, rather than drop it off and leave it, for the sake of 40 minutes, and ask to see whatever problems arise, if any.

If there's really any doubt, ask for any parts that are replaced. But the garage probably won't want you back if you treat them as though they are dishonest.

There's a check-list for MOTs, so there's really only so much to consider.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024