Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Injuries still giving you grief 12:20 - Jan 9 with 4285 viewsblue62

After Dubtractors post about shoulder injuries, got me thinking about other injuries we all have, sports related or not that are still giving you grief many years after the event.

I will start off....

Sunday morning footie, 1999 on Bourne Park and a cold wet rainy day and a dodgy tackle that broke my leg. It still feels numb and hurts if I land on it wrongly.

I do wonder if the tackler is on here! Did make Junior Match of the Week in the old Green Un.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 12:54]
Injuries still giving you grief on 12:28 - Jan 9 with 4259 viewsNoBru

I broke my finger last season when I got skinned and attempted to pull the guys shirt.

The result of this is that I have an awfully bent finger, it's also my index finger so pointing is problematic.
Injuries still giving you grief on 12:35 - Jan 9 with 4232 viewsBasuco

An open fractured femur in 1970 can give a horrible dull ache pain in the middle of my leg usually when rain is on the way, it was particularly bad in Spain many years ago when it was a lovely sunny mild 20 degree day, but the next day it hammered it down with rain.
Injuries still giving you grief on 12:41 - Jan 9 with 4212 viewsSwansea_Blue

Shoulder. Not sure from what, but it's been weak for getting on for 30 yrs. Tore my calf 14 months ago too, and that still gives me grief. And 20 years of chronic upper back & neck muscular problems from sitting at desks for too long.

Apart from those, I'm as fit as a fiddle

Oh, and I've had ITB issues ever since I overstrained during a particularly stupid mountain marathon in the early 2000s.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:42 - Jan 9 with 4209 viewsRyorry

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:28 - Jan 9 by NoBru

I broke my finger last season when I got skinned and attempted to pull the guys shirt.

The result of this is that I have an awfully bent finger, it's also my index finger so pointing is problematic.

Broke my left little finger falling off a horse in my teens - never got it seen to, it healed naturally, but 50 years on it still sticks out like an obscene gesture!

Other than that - spine both lower & neck. Shouldn't have done yoga spinal twist age 22 ...

On the opposite tack, got for the first time ever what I think is a groin strain yesterday, after breaking into a jog just after getting out of vehicle. (Inner thigh muscles v. painful, worse on R, can't run or sit on a barstool :( )

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:46 - Jan 9 with 4200 viewsCoastalblue

Ruptured my achilles three and a half years ago, my last ever game of 5 a side.
My left calf is still significantly smaller than the right and I'm much weaker when jumping or stretching on tip toe. It does ache after excercise too, I should probably do some strengthening exercises for it but never seem to get round to it. I've turned into a bit of a slob in my 50s.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:53 - Jan 9 with 4185 viewsJackSted

I pulled my groin playing football 6 years ago and it's never healed.

Even when I accidentally trip while walking it's agonising. And say, for example, I was walking and suddenly needed to change direction, it feels like my groin splits.

When I go to music raves/events I can't stand for too long as it bl0ody hurts.

I've been going physio for about 10 months now and it's kind of gotten better but I still can't kick a football, which is really annoying. When I go out and play football with my friends I have to go in goal.

And I'm 21 years old hahahahaha

TWTD Supervillain
Poll: Is Lambert the right man for the job?

Injuries still giving you grief on 17:38 - Jan 9 with 4102 viewsRyorry

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:53 - Jan 9 by JackSted

I pulled my groin playing football 6 years ago and it's never healed.

Even when I accidentally trip while walking it's agonising. And say, for example, I was walking and suddenly needed to change direction, it feels like my groin splits.

When I go to music raves/events I can't stand for too long as it bl0ody hurts.

I've been going physio for about 10 months now and it's kind of gotten better but I still can't kick a football, which is really annoying. When I go out and play football with my friends I have to go in goal.

And I'm 21 years old hahahahaha

Really sorry to hear that :(

Try different physio?

Injuries still giving you grief on 18:34 - Jan 9 with 4079 viewsGeminiblue

Permanent shin bruise from cricket ball from 20 yrs ago, leg aches in winter from broken leg playing hockey before that, and both ankle ligaments shot to pieces from netball. Maybe should have stuck to watching sport instead of playing!
Login to get fewer ads

Injuries still giving you grief on 21:27 - Jan 9 with 4039 viewsDBaldy

Got a few unfortunately...

Sprained my right wrist playing goalkeeper in a 5-a-side match in the summer of 2001. Couldn't use my right hand for anything for a while (brushing teeth, wiping my arris etc). I used to go to the gym at the time & lift weights, do press-ups etc but still can't do much of either now.

Injured my neck & spine trying to make a tackle playing American Football in 2004. Still get a stiff back, neck & shoulders on a regular basis, probably isn't helped by working in an office.

I sprained my left knee (lateral ligament I think) running in early 2009. I used to do a lot of running, including the Great North Run in 2008, but all I can manage is the Dad's race at my kids sports day now.

And finally I sprained my left ankle in Sept 2017. Didn't get it looked at for a couple of months which didn't help but it still hurts now if I do a lot of walking, standing or driving. So pretty much every week then....

I had physio for all of these, but in each instance found that it helped to a point but then levelled off, while the various physiotherapists seemed quite keen to get me off their books.
[Post edited 9 Jan 2019 21:28]
Injuries still giving you grief on 21:40 - Jan 9 with 4027 viewsMullet

Got a shoulder that clicks and is impinged from a car accident after the Zeki Fryers game at Huddersfield. Had loads of physio and chiropractor on it, have to manage it with yoga and elastic band stretches.

Snapped a bone in my hand last October 2/3rds of the way down whilst wrestling. Carried on and damaged the finger too so the knuckle is deformed and the bone sticks out on the hand. Cold weather and too much training makes it swell still.

One ear is only half cauliflowered so every other week it rips a bit more and hardens up.

Knees are a disaster.

Apart from that, I'm in pretty good nick.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Injuries still giving you grief on 21:47 - Jan 9 with 4020 viewsRobTheMonk

Tore a ligament in my right ankle. It randomly rolls and swells up like a tennis ball.

And the shoulder issues documented in the other thread. Hopefully that's behind me!
Injuries still giving you grief on 23:29 - Jan 9 with 3977 viewsStNeotsBlue

Dislocated my elbow a couple of years ago, the pain was on a level with someone stamping on your ballbag, anyhow it turned out they didn't put it back in properly at the A & E so in effect was walking around for about a week with a still dislocated elbow. Had an op which went well but can't straighten my arm fully due to the extra bone growth during the week between check ups.

Next appointment is in February, another operation is an option but isn't a high priority but they are always quite nice about it as they know and have admitted that the issue is down to the A & E people messing up.
Injuries still giving you grief on 00:58 - Jan 10 with 3955 viewsJuggsy

Injuries still giving you grief on 12:46 - Jan 9 by Coastalblue

Ruptured my achilles three and a half years ago, my last ever game of 5 a side.
My left calf is still significantly smaller than the right and I'm much weaker when jumping or stretching on tip toe. It does ache after excercise too, I should probably do some strengthening exercises for it but never seem to get round to it. I've turned into a bit of a slob in my 50s.

With you there brother, ruptured mine 2 years ago and have exactly the same problems. Constant ache and weakness. On the plus side I was at work in the military so there’s a nice claim going in before I leave this year!
Injuries still giving you grief on 09:46 - Jan 10 with 3910 viewsblue62

Impressive list of injuries here. Glad i am not alone. God knows what we will all be like when were 60+
Injuries still giving you grief on 09:53 - Jan 10 with 3902 viewsBullardsMagicMullet

Tore my thigh muscle 6 years ago playing Cricket at Halstead on their crappy outfield and can still feel the exact spot when I am kneeling down, it feels like its going to twang again but the pain goes away after 10 minutes.

Flounce when ITFC lose, flounce about brexit and flounce about Trump.
Poll: What ITFC Podcast do you prefer?

Injuries still giving you grief on 10:00 - Jan 10 with 3895 viewschicoazul

Lift weights, boyos. I had various injuries over the years - hips, knees, dull aches here there and everywhere in my back - and they all went away within about 6 months of weightlifting regularly twice a week 5 years ago. It has been, for me, a miracle cure and I have chucked all my voltarol away ages ago.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Injuries still giving you grief on 10:14 - Jan 10 with 3884 viewsGooders7592

I've torn my ankle ligaments twice (both left one) & broke my left ankle within the last 4 years playing football.

I still play now, but really shouldn't as my left ankle is so weak regardless of the strapping I use. I wear two pairs of socks on my left foot, ankle support & KT tape before I play. If I play Saturday, it aches until Tuesday evening. I think this will be my last season but the temptation is hard to say no to.
Injuries still giving you grief on 10:25 - Jan 10 with 3870 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Tore a ligament in my left ankle in 2014 and snapped it again(much worse) last year and couldn't walk for two days. That was august time and playing 5 aside on a weekly basis if i land too hard, or even slightly roll it, it's extremely painful.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Injuries still giving you grief on 10:26 - Jan 10 with 3868 viewsGooders7592

Injuries still giving you grief on 10:25 - Jan 10 by JammyDodgerrr

Tore a ligament in my left ankle in 2014 and snapped it again(much worse) last year and couldn't walk for two days. That was august time and playing 5 aside on a weekly basis if i land too hard, or even slightly roll it, it's extremely painful.

Were you not on crutches? I wasn't able to walk for 4 weeks when I tore mine.
Injuries still giving you grief on 10:33 - Jan 10 with 3857 viewslukey130490

I tore my rotator cuff in the gym about 8 years ago which still gives me grief.
Added to that, I tore the tendons in the middle finger when skateboarding, and didn't take the Dr advice to have some time off... The result of that is a massively swollen finger, and has been like that since I was 13.

And then to add more, recently I pulled my lower back when training for a marathon (which never ended up getting done) , and still cannot run past about 4 miles without breaking down in pain. I think that one is now with me for life too...
Injuries still giving you grief on 11:36 - Jan 10 with 3828 viewsRyorry

Injuries still giving you grief on 10:00 - Jan 10 by chicoazul

Lift weights, boyos. I had various injuries over the years - hips, knees, dull aches here there and everywhere in my back - and they all went away within about 6 months of weightlifting regularly twice a week 5 years ago. It has been, for me, a miracle cure and I have chucked all my voltarol away ages ago.

People need to be very careful how they set about doing that, or they could end up with more problems (particularly back, obvs) than they started with!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024