Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
the mess that is finance in the championship 14:36 - Jan 7 with 4826 viewsrosseden

It takes 5 mins to read, but the absolute insanity of the financial situation of the championship is well documented here.... take the time to look at all of it, its commercial suicide.

If you click on the tweet you can see the full set of stats on twitter

in any other business segment, most of these 'businesses' would just get closed down. The reality is they arent businesses but rich peoples play things.....

the only way to make a small fortune in this league, is to start with a very very large one.....
[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 14:36]

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 14:39 - Jan 7 with 4324 viewsITFC_Forever

Surely, sooner or later the football industry will implode. The sooner the better.

The only trouble is, it will take a couple of "big" clubs to go to the wall, and we (along with Bolton) are one of the prime candidates for that to happen to.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

the mess that is finance in the championship on 14:41 - Jan 7 with 4309 viewsrosseden

the mess that is finance in the championship on 14:39 - Jan 7 by ITFC_Forever

Surely, sooner or later the football industry will implode. The sooner the better.

The only trouble is, it will take a couple of "big" clubs to go to the wall, and we (along with Bolton) are one of the prime candidates for that to happen to.

you would think so, it just really rams home what a shambles it is..... its hard to see it not ending up as some sort of franchise system with a few select top teams, and then everyone else.

the mess that is finance in the championship on 14:45 - Jan 7 with 4295 viewsrosseden

Interesting that despite being one of the Uks wealthiest people, the owner of Bristol City chose to go to external business for funding, not put it in himself.
Possibly as its for building a stadium which he sees a multi use cash generating business, but never the less a little bizarre when you are worth best part of £2b

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:11 - Jan 7 with 4221 viewsWhymarkmariner

the mess that is finance in the championship on 14:45 - Jan 7 by rosseden

Interesting that despite being one of the Uks wealthiest people, the owner of Bristol City chose to go to external business for funding, not put it in himself.
Possibly as its for building a stadium which he sees a multi use cash generating business, but never the less a little bizarre when you are worth best part of £2b

Manchester Utd owe something like £478 presumably owed to the Glazers. Again business men buying out a club and then heaving all it's debts onto a football club. Big difference is their income is somewhere in the region of £590 million. But if there's any truth in the rumour that certain top Prem clubs and clubs from France,Italy,Spain and Germany want a Super League football in this Country will end up with super rich clubs and nothing for the rest. Unfortunately fans of ITFC and I will say it, will never see European Football and certainly never win or even come close to winning the Premier League. Many have quoted M.E. as being worth £800 million. If I took all my assets, car, house and contents including furniture, clothes etc,etc I'd probably be worth £250,000 but as for cash, well if someone asked me "If you had £10 in one trouser pocket and £15 in the other, what would you have" I'd probably say "someone else's trousers on.
the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:17 - Jan 7 with 4202 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yay, we're top for something

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:19 - Jan 7 with 4189 viewsLeagueOne

Shows quite clearly our expenditure matches our league position.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:23 - Jan 7 with 4169 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree, it's lunacy and a mess. Simply rich men and a few chancers, chasing the Premier League hundreds of millions.

Bloom at Brighton is an interesting one, as he has funded the club the same way Evans funds (or doesn't fund) us. It's all loans, owed to him (or one of his companies) and due for repayment in around 2023.

Every year the accounts simply say he has pushed back repayment by a year. He has no intention of seeing it paid back, but interesting the same model is employed just on a much larger scale.

What comes of having a fan and literally a gambler running your club!
the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:36 - Jan 7 with 4129 viewsSwansea_Blue

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:19 - Jan 7 by LeagueOne

Shows quite clearly our expenditure matches our league position.

The other thing that jumps out from this is that there's been no capital expenditure here since 2008; we're the only club for which this is the case. So not only are we running down the team, we're running down our facilities (or at best maintaining the status quo). What does that say about where we're going as a club in the medium-long term?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwTAIE3WwAAV7cA.jpg:large

[Post edited 7 Jan 2019 15:39]

Login to get fewer ads

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:37 - Jan 7 with 4125 viewsJammyDodgerrr

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:23 - Jan 7 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, it's lunacy and a mess. Simply rich men and a few chancers, chasing the Premier League hundreds of millions.

Bloom at Brighton is an interesting one, as he has funded the club the same way Evans funds (or doesn't fund) us. It's all loans, owed to him (or one of his companies) and due for repayment in around 2023.

Every year the accounts simply say he has pushed back repayment by a year. He has no intention of seeing it paid back, but interesting the same model is employed just on a much larger scale.

What comes of having a fan and literally a gambler running your club!

It's clear to see why Evans doesn't just flood us with cash so many people are desiring - the championship is a black hole of money, and the fact we're only losing about £8m a year seems like some sort of miracle.

The fact that only a handful of clubs make operating profit just tells the story.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:42 - Jan 7 with 4101 viewsPhilTWTD

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:36 - Jan 7 by Swansea_Blue

The other thing that jumps out from this is that there's been no capital expenditure here since 2008; we're the only club for which this is the case. So not only are we running down the team, we're running down our facilities (or at best maintaining the status quo). What does that say about where we're going as a club in the medium-long term?

I wondered about that, not sure it should be zero but will certainly not be a lot. I think £650,000 was spent on the 3G pitch at Playford Road a couple of years back and there was a refurb at the training ground a few years back. Might be how these things are shown in the accounts. The graph posted somewhere in one of these threads had no figure mentioned for Town rather than a nought.

This post has been edited by an administrator
the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:53 - Jan 7 with 4061 viewsBent_double

Why aren't the owners/chairmen/directors of the smaller/less well-off clubs in the Championship doing more to get the FA/FL to enforce the rules of FFP before it's too late?

People like Milne should be harassing them daily to make sure they enforce the ruling against Birmingham, to get QPR to pay their fines or be given immediate points deductions.

Put a player or club wage cap in now, stop agents demanding £20k+ a week for a player who came of the bench once in the PL whilst playing for Burnley.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:02 - Jan 7 with 4020 viewsSwansea_Blue

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:42 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

I wondered about that, not sure it should be zero but will certainly not be a lot. I think £650,000 was spent on the 3G pitch at Playford Road a couple of years back and there was a refurb at the training ground a few years back. Might be how these things are shown in the accounts. The graph posted somewhere in one of these threads had no figure mentioned for Town rather than a nought.

Yep, that's true.

Maybe an issue with the figures then, as it sounds like there should be a slither of expenditure showing.

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:03 - Jan 7 with 4011 viewsElderGrizzly

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:42 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

I'd assumed this was based on the data available rather than it being zero. I could name £1m at least.
the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:06 - Jan 7 with 3997 viewsElderGrizzly

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:53 - Jan 7 by Bent_double

Why aren't the owners/chairmen/directors of the smaller/less well-off clubs in the Championship doing more to get the FA/FL to enforce the rules of FFP before it's too late?

People like Milne should be harassing them daily to make sure they enforce the ruling against Birmingham, to get QPR to pay their fines or be given immediate points deductions.

Put a player or club wage cap in now, stop agents demanding £20k+ a week for a player who came of the bench once in the PL whilst playing for Burnley.

They are and there is a set of chairman/owners who are pushing against increases of FFP losses for example.

QPR have paid their fine (over £40m) and Birmingham's case is being heard next month after they appealed their proposed 15pt deduction.

Horse has bolted though and even now losing £39m over 3 seasons is seen as compliant.
the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:22 - Jan 7 with 3948 viewsrosseden

the mess that is finance in the championship on 15:53 - Jan 7 by Bent_double

i think ME has been one of the most vocal about the need for more FFP and so on..... i just dont think theres enough of the others pushing too.....

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:24 - Jan 7 with 3938 viewsrosseden

possibly because the ground isnt owned by Evans and therefore it gets accounted as a loss elsewhere. In most cases Capex would sit as an investment. Its essentially like painting a rented house when we do anything to our 'assets' like the ground......

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:28 - Jan 7 with 3907 viewsPhilTWTD

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:24 - Jan 7 by rosseden

possibly because the ground isnt owned by Evans and therefore it gets accounted as a loss elsewhere. In most cases Capex would sit as an investment. Its essentially like painting a rented house when we do anything to our 'assets' like the ground......

The ground, as in the stadium, is owned by the club. It's the land that it's on that isn't owned by the club and is rented from IBC.
the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:29 - Jan 7 with 3898 viewsPhilTWTD

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:03 - Jan 7 by ElderGrizzly

I'd assumed this was based on the data available rather than it being zero. I could name £1m at least.

That was my thinking, how things are accounted or data not being available.
the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:29 - Jan 7 with 3896 viewswkj

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:28 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

The ground, as in the stadium, is owned by the club. It's the land that it's on that isn't owned by the club and is rented from IBC.

***add it to the FAQ***

We're making progress here ladies and gents

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:34 - Jan 7 with 3879 viewschicoazul

Keen to hear more from the "Evans invests heavily in ITFC" crew on this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:40 - Jan 7 with 3860 viewsElderGrizzly

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:34 - Jan 7 by chicoazul

Keen to hear more from the "Evans invests heavily in ITFC" crew on this.

That particular post you responded to, shows he has personally covered £61m in losses.

So, he has put in at least £61m that they have been able to uncover.

But, I agree with the point i think you were trying to make on the investment in facilities
the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:46 - Jan 7 with 3835 viewsBent_double

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:06 - Jan 7 by ElderGrizzly

They are and there is a set of chairman/owners who are pushing against increases of FFP losses for example.

QPR have paid their fine (over £40m) and Birmingham's case is being heard next month after they appealed their proposed 15pt deduction.

Horse has bolted though and even now losing £39m over 3 seasons is seen as compliant.

You sure about QPR, I thought their fine had been reduced to something like £20m, and they've been allowed to pay it over the next 10 years of so?

Does anyone think Brum will get hit with the max points deduction? They're losing something like £750k a week at the moment I believe.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:46 - Jan 7 with 3835 viewsSwansea_Blue

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:40 - Jan 7 by ElderGrizzly

That particular post you responded to, shows he has personally covered £61m in losses.

So, he has put in at least £61m that they have been able to uncover.

But, I agree with the point i think you were trying to make on the investment in facilities

Yep, although that's relatively small beer over that period. I think we all know this, and Phil (and others) have summed it up well - in short, it's become too expensive for him.

You need money to burn in the Championship.

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:50 - Jan 7 with 3801 viewsRadlett_blue

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:06 - Jan 7 by ElderGrizzly

Exactly, many Championship owners didn't want FFP as they felt it impinged on their ability to compete with the parachute clubs. Unfortunately, whenever a Championship owner runs out of cash or doesn't want to keep losing money, a new punter has appeared at the table. This certainly doesn't seem to be happening at Bolton (not an attractive prospect); will be interested in what happens at Birmingham & Sheffield Wednesday,

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

the mess that is finance in the championship on 18:09 - Jan 7 with 3683 viewsElderGrizzly

the mess that is finance in the championship on 16:29 - Jan 7 by PhilTWTD

That was my thinking, how things are accounted or data not being available.

Or an error...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024