Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Edwards defensively / partnerships 06:49 - Nov 30 with 1695 viewsCurrie10

A lot has been made of Spence recently - perhaps rightly so. No issue with that, I'm far from his biggest fan of all time either.

However - is Edwards really offering an awful lot of protection?

It's hard for me to judge as overseas / don't get to live games due to this and watching games online - while handy ( don't see them all ) sometimes you don't see the movement / full picture like you do in the stadium.

Take the last game - half time Bristol City change tactics and their left winger pulls our pants down.

One goal you see Edwards running back - while...... yeah. Not doing a lot.

Is his positional sense particularly good? Not saying he has to make big tackle etc upon big tackle - but if you have a good positional sense then you're halfway there.

If he's not proving great defensively, is he doing enough offensively to give a little leniency with the defensive side of the game?

Look at the other wing, Knudsen + Sears. Sears right now having a good patch, the partnership is better.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 7:04]
Edwards defensively / partnerships on 07:01 - Nov 30 with 1678 viewssotd78

Spot on. The defensive work of the two pairs mentioned was mostly why Bristol had success second half.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:14 - Nov 30 with 1627 viewsElderGrizzly

He has made the 3rd most tackles in the entire league. So i’d say yes

Also 4th most successful dribbles in the league

I’d say he is doing both parts of his job then?
Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:20 - Nov 30 with 1610 viewsSteve_M

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:14 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Across the season maybe, on Wednesday night he didn't do it well enough.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:23 - Nov 30 with 1600 viewsElderGrizzly

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:20 - Nov 30 by Steve_M

Across the season maybe, on Wednesday night he didn't do it well enough.

Agree there, i just thought the OP was implying it was a season long issue
Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:50 - Nov 30 with 1571 viewsGuthrum

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:14 - Nov 30 by ElderGrizzly

Tho that doesn't show where on the pitch tackles occurred, i.e. whether they were attacking interceptions high up the pitch (e.g. loses the ball going forwards, tackles to retrieve it), or defensive ones when the opposition were on a break.

It's the same problem the FBs have. If dispossessed close to the opposition byline, he has to recover, turn and sprint faster than the ball is moving in order to become involved in the defence. Moving at full pace parallel with but slightly behind an onrushing attacker is not the best position to tackle without bringing them down and earning cards.

From what I've seen, it does come down to the partnerships. Sears and Knudsen seem adept at keeping the ball, interplay, getting it into a crossing position and making some sort of delivery. Edwards and Spence are not so well coordinated, leaving the former to make runs on his own, often ended by losing the ball.

Edit: Wrote the wrong player's name.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2018 9:05]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 09:00 - Nov 30 with 1543 viewsReuser_is_God

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:50 - Nov 30 by Guthrum

Tho that doesn't show where on the pitch tackles occurred, i.e. whether they were attacking interceptions high up the pitch (e.g. loses the ball going forwards, tackles to retrieve it), or defensive ones when the opposition were on a break.

It's the same problem the FBs have. If dispossessed close to the opposition byline, he has to recover, turn and sprint faster than the ball is moving in order to become involved in the defence. Moving at full pace parallel with but slightly behind an onrushing attacker is not the best position to tackle without bringing them down and earning cards.

From what I've seen, it does come down to the partnerships. Sears and Knudsen seem adept at keeping the ball, interplay, getting it into a crossing position and making some sort of delivery. Edwards and Spence are not so well coordinated, leaving the former to make runs on his own, often ended by losing the ball.

You mean Sears & Knudsen?

Agree though, there is zero cohesive link up between Edwards & Spence.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 09:04 - Nov 30 with 1538 viewsGuthrum

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 09:00 - Nov 30 by Reuser_is_God

Sorry, yes. Edited.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 09:17 - Nov 30 with 1516 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 09:00 - Nov 30 by Reuser_is_God

This seems to be the problem. Edwards drifting inside or being late back to tackles/not watching the man. You could see even from the highlights he wasn't where he should've been and Bristol City got so much joy. Think Lambert will address it.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Login to get fewer ads

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 13:11 - Nov 30 with 1446 viewsCurrie10

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 08:50 - Nov 30 by Guthrum

Exactly this.
Edwards defensively / partnerships on 13:14 - Nov 30 with 1442 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Would like us to sign Chris Gunter in January.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 13:17 - Nov 30 with 1439 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

Quite how Edwards has dodged criticism after Wednesday is beyond me. He fell asleep and let the guy overlap to put the cross in which led to the second goal (Pennington lost his man) and he was also caught out of position in the build up to the third goal which meant that we got outnumbered down our right.

You can tackle loads without giving adequate cover to your full back.
Edwards defensively / partnerships on 13:18 - Nov 30 with 1432 viewsCurrie10

Edwards defensively / partnerships on 13:14 - Nov 30 by TheTrueBlue1878

Would like us to sign Chris Gunter in January.

That'd be interesting!!!!

We do need a couple of nasty players like that though - agreed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024