Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Brexit 16:28 - Nov 22 with 9146 viewsblueislander

It looks now as though there will be some sort of Brexit agreement with the EU. Obviously it won't satisfy a lot of people, but I think you have to admire May's tenacity in getting this far. It is very doubtful if it will get through parliament, unless the so-called hard Brexiteers capitulate as they did with the no confidence vote. What happens if it doesn't get passed is anyone's guess.
Brexit on 16:32 - Nov 22 with 4951 viewsReuser_is_God

Brexit is so boring.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Brexit on 16:35 - Nov 22 with 4949 viewsGlasgowBlue

I have to say that as somebody who doesn't have any fondness for Mrs May, she seems to be making the very best of the hand dealt to her and the fact she is still standing says something about her character.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Brexit on 16:38 - Nov 22 with 4933 viewsfloridaboy

After watching some of the PMs statement today it seems to me that many who oppose the deal are making speeches and making themselves look right idiots with what they are sprouting ie the SNP member who slagged her off for costing fishing jobs in Scotland only to be told that the fishing body in Scotland are very happy with it.

Some are so damn childish though!!

Happy with only allowing immigrants in who can offer something to the UK rather than just milking the system!!
Brexit on 16:44 - Nov 22 with 4916 viewsSwansea_Blue

Brexit on 16:35 - Nov 22 by GlasgowBlue

I have to say that as somebody who doesn't have any fondness for Mrs May, she seems to be making the very best of the hand dealt to her and the fact she is still standing says something about her character.

She seems to be leading us to a worst of both sides position, which is irresponsible imo.

But in terms of character, couldn’t agree more. She’s shown a determination and resilience sorely lacking in her former caninet colleagues. And batted away every challenge, seemingly with ease. There’s a lot more to her than I’ve given her credit for.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Brexit on 17:08 - Nov 22 with 4879 viewsconnorscontract

She has managed to come up with a deal which no-one likes. It meets none of the core desires of Brexiters: more control of borders, no more rule taking from Brussels, ability to broker trade deals on our own terms and greater sovereignty.

So, yes, it says a lot about her character. She is utterly deaf to criticism, and completely unable to face reality.

She is a cross between King Canute, Comical Ali and Millwall FC fans.

This is about the accountability of the Prime Minister in negotiating the most important international agreement since the end of WW2, according to a timetable she initiated unilaterally, with a three month pause in a time critical process (and the loss of her working majority) due to her own idiotic decision to then call a General Election.

"The hand dealt to her" was largely self-inflicted due to her inability to read the political signs, her arrogance and presumption that the electorate would enhance her majority, and her failure to beat a worse Labour leader by more than Cameron had managed to beat the least talented Milliband.

What the Geography Teachers Union Shop Steward would have done had he won a few more seats is anyone's guess.
Brexit on 17:19 - Nov 22 with 4835 viewsm14_blue

Brexit on 17:08 - Nov 22 by connorscontract

She has managed to come up with a deal which no-one likes. It meets none of the core desires of Brexiters: more control of borders, no more rule taking from Brussels, ability to broker trade deals on our own terms and greater sovereignty.

So, yes, it says a lot about her character. She is utterly deaf to criticism, and completely unable to face reality.

This is about the accountability of the Prime Minister in negotiating the most important international agreement since the end of WW2, according to a timetable she initiated unilaterally, with a three month pause in a time critical process (and the loss of her working majority) due to her own idiotic decision to then call a General Election.

"The hand dealt to her" was largely self-inflicted due to her inability to read the political signs, her arrogance and presumption that the electorate would enhance her majority, and her failure to beat a worse Labour leader by more than Cameron had managed to beat the least talented Milliband.

What the Geography Teachers Union Shop Steward would have done had he won a few more seats is anyone's guess.

No doubt both sides are unhappy but I think that was always likely wasn’t it, short of her completely caving in to the hard Brexit mob on her back benches.

I’ve developed a certain grudging admiration for her at least having the minerals to see it through. Particularly when so many of her colleagues have been happy to abandon their responsibilities and just shout abuse from afar.

I still think she’s useless but she’s certainly got more about her than most of the others on either side of the chamber.
Brexit on 17:20 - Nov 22 with 4830 viewsPinewoodblue

The only thing that seems might happen is that the withdrawal document will be agreed. The EU have been very clever wasting so much time on the Irish problem.

Two years down the road and they have only recently started on drawing up a document outlining what might happen.

I cannot see any chance in the next 2 or & or even 10 years that a trade deal can be agreed. A deal that had to be agreed by all 27.

France will want a fisheries agreement that fully protected their fishing industry and Spain will never give up their claim to Gibraltar so will block any agreement. Look at all the trade negotiations between the EU and other Countries that card stalled, not going anywhere. Meanwhile we will still be paying whatever financial penalty the EU imposes.

Theresa May has been very forceful but it is just rhetoric.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit on 17:31 - Nov 22 with 4796 viewsconnorscontract

Brexit on 17:20 - Nov 22 by Pinewoodblue

The only thing that seems might happen is that the withdrawal document will be agreed. The EU have been very clever wasting so much time on the Irish problem.

Two years down the road and they have only recently started on drawing up a document outlining what might happen.

I cannot see any chance in the next 2 or & or even 10 years that a trade deal can be agreed. A deal that had to be agreed by all 27.

France will want a fisheries agreement that fully protected their fishing industry and Spain will never give up their claim to Gibraltar so will block any agreement. Look at all the trade negotiations between the EU and other Countries that card stalled, not going anywhere. Meanwhile we will still be paying whatever financial penalty the EU imposes.

Theresa May has been very forceful but it is just rhetoric.

That's the worst case scenario.

So if that is what happens, will you consider Brexit worth it?

If that's what we end up with, and it's not what most Leavers voted for, and it's certainly not what any Remainers voted for, do you think we should have a second Referendum?

Or should we just suck it up and take it?

I don't think Parliament will back it, anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Brexit on 17:37 - Nov 22 with 4770 viewsblueislander

Brexit on 17:31 - Nov 22 by connorscontract

That's the worst case scenario.

So if that is what happens, will you consider Brexit worth it?

If that's what we end up with, and it's not what most Leavers voted for, and it's certainly not what any Remainers voted for, do you think we should have a second Referendum?

Or should we just suck it up and take it?

I don't think Parliament will back it, anyway.

That is the crux of it. It seems very likely that parliament will reject it. What happens then: carry on negotiating, which the EU have said they won't do; a new referendum, which May says she won't hold; or a general election , with the likelihood of a hung parliament?
Brexit on 17:46 - Nov 22 with 4756 viewsSomethingBlue

One can acknowledge her bloody-mindedness to a certain extent but the bottom line is that history will rightly judge her — and the mafia who have brought all this about — damningly.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Brexit on 17:55 - Nov 22 with 4717 viewsFootballpete

Yeah, but apart from that she's done alright though?

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

Brexit on 17:58 - Nov 22 with 4711 viewsblueislander

Brexit on 17:46 - Nov 22 by SomethingBlue

One can acknowledge her bloody-mindedness to a certain extent but the bottom line is that history will rightly judge her — and the mafia who have brought all this about — damningly.

She campaigned for Remain, so , to that extent she is not responsible for Brexit. It would have been easier for her to say that she would not be a part of the negotiations , and resign, which would have let Boris in , and that might have pleased a lot of people, but we would undoubtedly not have agreed the terms of Brexit with the EU. Perhaps she realised that, and decided to take up the poisoned chalice.
Brexit on 18:09 - Nov 22 with 4680 viewsLord_Lucan

If we were going to split we should have split, from what I can see at this time we have the worst of both worlds.

It's like going into B&Q for a hammer and coming out with a ladder.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Brexit on 18:18 - Nov 22 with 4663 viewskizaitfc

If it doesn't get through parliament, it will be a 2nd referendum

There is no way the tories will call for an election after the last one, too many MPs would be worried about losing their job.

This is why JC and labour are not calling for the 2nd referendum, they want to make it the tories that capitulate and in some people's eyes disrespect the first referendum, by calling a rerun.

Labour know that some way or another a 2nd referendum will have to occur they would just prefer it to be caused by the tories and not them

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Brexit on 18:23 - Nov 22 with 4647 viewskizaitfc

I would say she has done very well to get the deal she wanted, one problem, and it is a pretty big problem.

about 70-80% of parliament do not want the deal!

The only way she will get this through is by using project fear, with MPs fearing what could happen if they don't vote it, she may bring the number against down to 60% maybe 55% but I really cant see her standing a chance in getting a majority, reports that there is already 50% of Tory MPs that will not vote for it. Best she can hope for there is that they abstain and dont vote with the oppo

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Brexit on 18:51 - Nov 22 with 4606 viewsSteve_M

Brexit on 16:32 - Nov 22 by Reuser_is_God

Brexit is so boring.

Well, you're going to enjoy the next few years then as we try to sort out a trading relationship with the EU. The fuss so far is only on how we leave.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Brexit on 18:52 - Nov 22 with 4605 viewsSteve_M

Is she really?

She basically decided that the referendum meant an end to free movement and absolutely everything, maybe even including the Tory party, can suffer to that end. That's not making the best of a bad hand, that's myopic intransigence.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Brexit on 18:53 - Nov 22 with 4600 viewsGuthrum

Or she is considerably more pragmatic than many Brexiteers, who seem to think it easy to negotiate a deal on terms entirely favourable to the UK.

I agree about the stupidity of the election.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Brexit on 18:55 - Nov 22 with 4598 viewsJakeITFC

Brexit on 18:09 - Nov 22 by Lord_Lucan

If we were going to split we should have split, from what I can see at this time we have the worst of both worlds.

It's like going into B&Q for a hammer and coming out with a ladder.

You missed the part where we set fire to the house on the way out.
Brexit on 19:30 - Nov 22 with 4542 viewsHerbivore

Brexit on 17:58 - Nov 22 by blueislander

She campaigned for Remain, so , to that extent she is not responsible for Brexit. It would have been easier for her to say that she would not be a part of the negotiations , and resign, which would have let Boris in , and that might have pleased a lot of people, but we would undoubtedly not have agreed the terms of Brexit with the EU. Perhaps she realised that, and decided to take up the poisoned chalice.

Or she's a power-hungry, opportunistic bint.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Brexit on 19:42 - Nov 22 with 4531 viewsVic

Brexit on 18:23 - Nov 22 by kizaitfc

I would say she has done very well to get the deal she wanted, one problem, and it is a pretty big problem.

about 70-80% of parliament do not want the deal!

The only way she will get this through is by using project fear, with MPs fearing what could happen if they don't vote it, she may bring the number against down to 60% maybe 55% but I really cant see her standing a chance in getting a majority, reports that there is already 50% of Tory MPs that will not vote for it. Best she can hope for there is that they abstain and dont vote with the oppo

I think your right about the deal. I think this is pretty much as good as she realistically thought she’d get. She’s done as well as she could do, and better than the brexiteers would have done, and now it up to the rest to give it their backing or not. Nothing else she can do.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Brexit on 19:50 - Nov 22 with 4509 viewsPinewoodblue

Brexit on 19:30 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

She called the last election after going on a walking holiday with her husband. The deal she has will suite her husbands business interests.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Brexit on 19:53 - Nov 22 with 4502 viewsGeoffSentence

Putting aside everything else*, she has more balls than anyone else on the government side of the house.

* and that's a lot of sht to put to one side

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Brexit on 19:57 - Nov 22 with 4484 viewsGlasgowBlue

Brexit on 19:30 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

Bint? I’m surprised a progressive like yourself would use such a sexist term.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It's all Noel Gallagher's fault on 20:09 - Nov 22 with 4470 viewsMelford

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/nov/22/dont-look-back-in-anger-did-britpo

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024