Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more 21:25 - Nov 16 with 629 viewsGeoffSentence

and suddenly my existing perfectly good internet has become a bit cr@p.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:26 - Nov 16 with 627 viewsElderGrizzly

What does improved mean?
BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:29 - Nov 16 with 617 viewsBlueBadger

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:26 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

What does improved mean?

'More expensive'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:31 - Nov 16 with 612 viewsEwan_Oozami

Have you seen any new green cabinets or cable-laying activities in your locality?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:34 - Nov 16 with 604 viewsGeoffSentence

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:26 - Nov 16 by ElderGrizzly

What does improved mean?

I didn't really understand it.

They said that my current broadband speed was 50mb (though at purchase time it was 38 and only ever gets 28)

The improved one is 67mb, but will achieve somewhere between 27-39.

Which is like my current one.

Which used to be reliable but now drops out.

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:37 - Nov 16 with 597 viewsWeWereZombies

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:34 - Nov 16 by GeoffSentence

I didn't really understand it.

They said that my current broadband speed was 50mb (though at purchase time it was 38 and only ever gets 28)

The improved one is 67mb, but will achieve somewhere between 27-39.

Which is like my current one.

Which used to be reliable but now drops out.

Have a squint at John Lewis Broadband (actually the part of Plusnet that didn't get swallowed by BT), if you switch they will probably supply a new hub that is way better than the BT one.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:39 - Nov 16 with 588 viewsGeoffSentence

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:31 - Nov 16 by Ewan_Oozami

Have you seen any new green cabinets or cable-laying activities in your locality?

yes.

fttc -> fttp I guess.

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:47 - Nov 16 with 569 viewsEwan_Oozami

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:39 - Nov 16 by GeoffSentence

yes.

fttc -> fttp I guess.

It's co-ordinated, but not in the way you think! New cabinet/cables often mean increased capacity (as also does additional cards in an existing cabinet) - however, as new users are added, contention increases (as does the risk of an Openreach engineer accidentally mangling your existing connection when those users re connected) , which means you get more dropouts and lower average speeds - the sales campaign is linked to the increased capacity being available in your area, but if you already have fibre, the benefits of switching/upgrading with the same supplier are are minimal - if you change supplier, there is a good chance you'd be rerouted in the cab and get better reliability (possibly higher speeds, but not guaranteed).

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:52 - Nov 16 with 565 viewsGeoffSentence

BT are trying to sell me new improved internet for only 8 quid a month more on 21:47 - Nov 16 by Ewan_Oozami

It's co-ordinated, but not in the way you think! New cabinet/cables often mean increased capacity (as also does additional cards in an existing cabinet) - however, as new users are added, contention increases (as does the risk of an Openreach engineer accidentally mangling your existing connection when those users re connected) , which means you get more dropouts and lower average speeds - the sales campaign is linked to the increased capacity being available in your area, but if you already have fibre, the benefits of switching/upgrading with the same supplier are are minimal - if you change supplier, there is a good chance you'd be rerouted in the cab and get better reliability (possibly higher speeds, but not guaranteed).

Thanks.

That explains a lot.

My current contract has a while to run yet, so I wil hang in there for a bit.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024