Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughts on this Government petition 16:52 - Nov 5 with 3658 viewsDanTheMan

Ban the sale of fireworks to the public. Displays for licenced venues only.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231147

A few years back I'd have been dead against this, mainly cos I've either lived in the middle of nowhere and they've never bothered me or because I've been in a city centre where again nobody is setting them off.

Moved to the suburbs and I'm kind of amazed how bad it can be. The other day an old lady and her dog had fireworks shot at them not at all far from me. Yesterday there was a massive fire near the Notts Country ground that looks like it was set off by fireworks. I've seen some horrible videos and pictures on how it effects pets and my own dog is absolutely terrified for a whole week every evening.

Still on the fence as to whether they need to be completely banned to the public as it seems overkill but wouldn't mind seeing more restrictions on when and where they can be set off legally

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Thoughts on this Government petition on 16:57 - Nov 5 with 3281 viewsblueislander

I would support it. Proper organized and authorised events that have to be on November 5th only. I would allow sparklers to be sold for garden displays for the very little ones though.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:02 - Nov 5 with 3265 viewsHalf_Idiot

I've got a puppy that is now petrified of going outside after fireworks going off all around him last night. I'll have to spend all night with him tonight sat next to me shaking uncontrollably. There are remains of fireworks that have been set off in the street everywhere, who knows what sort of damage they could have done.

They should not be sold to the public and shouldn't be set off in residential areas.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:05 - Nov 5 with 3256 viewsblueislander

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:02 - Nov 5 by Half_Idiot

I've got a puppy that is now petrified of going outside after fireworks going off all around him last night. I'll have to spend all night with him tonight sat next to me shaking uncontrollably. There are remains of fireworks that have been set off in the street everywhere, who knows what sort of damage they could have done.

They should not be sold to the public and shouldn't be set off in residential areas.

Our dog goes ape sh-t , but not scared. She wants to fight them I think.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:05 - Nov 5 with 3257 viewsMullet

I've got a neighbour who sets them off for everything, birthdays, NYE, Halloween this year and am dreading tonight as the bangy-light fanatic must be pacing all day waiting for tonight. It's usually a couple of hours of uncoordinated 5-15 minute bursts from most people, whereas if they all clubbed together they'd get half the effect of the proper organised shows the council lay on 10 mins own the road.

All the cost to the emergency services and injuries they cause, it seems a no brainer to me. Especially as the most vulnerable seem to cop for it the worst.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:11 - Nov 5 with 3228 viewsButterbing

We had one come into the garden horizontally yesterday from our neighbour. Luckily, it just fizzed about in the bush and didn't set fire to anything. More fortunately, the kids were watching from behind a window.

I would support that petition. They go off round our way randomly throughout the year and the dog then does a protest on the floor, it's very annoying.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:14 - Nov 5 with 3219 viewsStokieBlue

Definitely for it - some people can't be trusted with things like fireworks.

Had to yell at some bloke out of the window the other night as he was launching rockets off his balcony and exploding them right over peoples houses - could easily have hit people in their gardens, balconies or whatever.

Total tool.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:16 - Nov 5 with 3210 viewswkj

If only we could ban idiots, then a whole range of bans could be banned

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:19 - Nov 5 with 3199 viewsJ2BLUE

Apparently this was started by an animal rights group because dogs are scared of them. Seems perfectly in line with 2018 to call for a ban rather than find a solution to that problem.

With that said, I couldn’t care less if they get banned.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:21 - Nov 5 with 3182 viewswkj

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:19 - Nov 5 by J2BLUE

Apparently this was started by an animal rights group because dogs are scared of them. Seems perfectly in line with 2018 to call for a ban rather than find a solution to that problem.

Me either to be honest. Fireworks parties are usually shlte.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:31 - Nov 5 with 3165 viewsDanTheMan

There is a solution, you could do silent fireworks but I'm not sure how that works with animals.

You can't train dogs or other animals to like them though.

I mean look at this:
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/owner-left-heartbroken-after-h

The effect they have on animals is pretty horrific and shouldn't just be handwaved.

Literally right now my dog is absolutely terrified. She's going to be terrified for another whole evening because people will be setting them off all evening. If it's anything like last year this will go on past 12am. We've given her the strongest medication we can to try and help her through it but all it does is makes her a little sleepy.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:33 - Nov 5 with 3154 viewsfactual_blue

It will either go off with a bang, or be a damp squib.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:39 - Nov 5 with 3077 viewsLord_Lucan

https://uokhun.uk/2018/11/03/little-yapping-bastard-suddenly-doesnt-like-loud-no

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:42 - Nov 5 with 3071 viewsKeno

Agree with it

but indoor fireworks should be allowed and their use through a sole UK distributor should be made compulsory

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:46 - Nov 5 with 3060 viewsWD19

Some people like dogs. Banning them would go down badly with animal lovers.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:50 - Nov 5 with 3049 viewsTJS

Plenty of people have to listen to their neighbours dogs barking 52 weeks a year so I don't think becoming the only European country to ban fireworks based on 1-2 weeks annoyance is going to make much difference.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 18:51]
Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:51 - Nov 5 with 3044 viewsSwansea_Blue

Meanwhile, in a field next to me:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/owner-l

I’d be happy with official displays only. They’re infinitely better after all. We have a cracker here in our village just a hundred yards from Swanners Towers, which I’ll be taking the kids to in about 20 minutes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:51 - Nov 5 with 3042 viewsDebsyAngel

Just too many stupid idiots about who abuse them, I would support a ban. Just organised displays, which are fine. Yes you have to pay for a ticket, but how much does buying your own cost? If it was just the weekend before and on 5th November itself, it would be ok, but it's about 3-4 weeks of it continuously now.
Thoughts on this Government petition on 19:05 - Nov 5 with 3026 viewsLord_Lucan

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:46 - Nov 5 by WD19

Some people like dogs. Banning them would go down badly with animal lovers.

Dogs cause more injuries - and deaths - than fireworks and dogs make more noise - all year.

Fireworks are banned in Eire but they use more fireworks per head than any other country in Europe.

Fireworks aren't the problem, people are. Fireworks cause so few injuries now that they are no longer recorded.

Most unsociable firework behaviour is by under 18's letting off fireworks on estates. It is already illegal for under 18's to possess fireworks and it is illegal for anyone to fire fireworks in a public place so there are already existing laws but the police don't enforce them.

Electric blankets — Dti research in 1996 showed faulty electric blankets caused more than 5000 fires and 19 deaths.
DIY — 70 People killed every year — 250’000 injuries
Garden pools — average of 8 deaths a year
Swimming pools - average of 2 deaths a year
Pets cause 140’000 injuries a year

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Thoughts on this Government petition on 19:06 - Nov 5 with 3025 viewsGlasgowBlue

I’ve just given my kids about ten minutes of fun by letting off a five quid box from Tesco. Pain in the arse tbh and we were at the local organised display last night.

But the youngest likes a little show in are garden so we did it.

Made sure that I let the people know two doors down who have a dog and gave them a couple of hours notice. Not sure they would have heard much tbh. No rockets.

If I’m honest I hate the bloody things and would prefer not to handle them or have them in the house.

So in answer to your question. I’m a bit meh either way. Certainly would tighten up restrictions on who buys them so kids don’t start chucking them at pensioners.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 19:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Thoughts on this Government petition on 19:10 - Nov 5 with 3009 viewsHalf_Idiot

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:50 - Nov 5 by TJS

Plenty of people have to listen to their neighbours dogs barking 52 weeks a year so I don't think becoming the only European country to ban fireworks based on 1-2 weeks annoyance is going to make much difference.

It's more than just an annoyance though isn't it. It causes serious distress to animals and stretches the fire departments to its limits and puts people in danger.

A dog barking is no different to someone shouting or playing loud music, but an explosion over your house is distressing and dangerous
Thoughts on this Government petition on 19:44 - Nov 5 with 2969 viewsTractorWood

Thoughts on this Government petition on 18:50 - Nov 5 by TJS

You can take action against nuisance dogs. Complain to the council and escalate to magistrates court as necessary.

I too live in the suburbs where the majority of gardens are pretty small and fireworks are used every night for the last week but also come out on the 4th July, birthdays etc etc. I think licenced displays make a lot of sense for a pets, people who work unsociable hours and people who don't want loud bangs every 30 seconds all night.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Thoughts on this Government petition on 20:16 - Nov 5 with 2930 viewsjeera

Thoughts on this Government petition on 17:21 - Nov 5 by wkj

Me either to be honest. Fireworks parties are usually shlte.

Hmph.

I admit there was a time I would have supported this too as I'd had no interest in the things since I was a kid.

Then a mate was getting fireworks at the right money. Boy have those things come on.

Sh1te party indeed. I had almost 30 people round, lots of hot food, lots of drink and lots of happy people.

I did make an effort though. I leafleted the neighbours and invited some so they couldn't complain. In advance so they had fair warning regarding pets etc.

Fenced off the patio for viewing and to keep the kids back. Buckets of water and sand everywhere. Fire extinguishers.

I went to a carpet shop and got some [inner] tubes for rows of rockets and laid patio slabs for the blocks.

Bought a remote control kit so we could do X amount in sync from a distance.

I spent days setting it up and scorched half the lawn. Took months to grow back.

Cost a small fortune.

It was great.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Thoughts on this Government petition on 20:44 - Nov 5 with 2878 viewsJ2BLUE

Thoughts on this Government petition on 20:16 - Nov 5 by jeera

Hmph.

I admit there was a time I would have supported this too as I'd had no interest in the things since I was a kid.

Then a mate was getting fireworks at the right money. Boy have those things come on.

Sh1te party indeed. I had almost 30 people round, lots of hot food, lots of drink and lots of happy people.

I did make an effort though. I leafleted the neighbours and invited some so they couldn't complain. In advance so they had fair warning regarding pets etc.

Fenced off the patio for viewing and to keep the kids back. Buckets of water and sand everywhere. Fire extinguishers.

I went to a carpet shop and got some [inner] tubes for rows of rockets and laid patio slabs for the blocks.

Bought a remote control kit so we could do X amount in sync from a distance.

I spent days setting it up and scorched half the lawn. Took months to grow back.

Cost a small fortune.

It was great.

No wkj and J2, no party.

Where were our invites?!?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thoughts on this Government petition on 20:52 - Nov 5 with 2860 viewsTrequartista

Nah. Not going to let a few morons spoil a great British tradition for the overwhelming majority.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Thoughts on this Government petition on 22:29 - Nov 5 with 2740 viewscaught-in-limbo

I think it's a great idea. I'd like to have greater government restrictions in every area of our lives, especially concerning the potential inappropriate use of all the things we take for granted which the majority of us use responsibly for totally benign purposes. While we're at it, in addition to this government "protection", I'd like to see the government continue to roll out the Fusion Doctrine where government institutions have convenient and cost-saving access to endless streams of data about all of us. Then we can have the fascist government that we all deserve.

Seriously though: NO - it's a terrible idea.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2018 22:33]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024