Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth 20:13 - Nov 3 with 3446 viewsclive_baker

I took the opportunity to sit outside of the north stand today, a rare venture into the Britannia stand in an attempt to do a little more watching and a touch less singing / chatting / drinking. A very different Portman Road experience it was too.

Having closely observed Lambert, all I can say is that this man is a proper, proper football manager. Forget any Norwich connections, they’re not at all relevant for me. The passion he showed in 90 (well closer to 100) minutes of football today eclipsed what his predecessor demonstrated in his whole reign. He kicked every ball, competed for every header and rarely stopped barking orders, organising, encouraging his team. It really was refreshing to see and if there was any shadow of doubt that he’s the right man for this job going into today, I’m left with no doubt at all. He is. He got a reaction from this squad today, it was a performance full of heart and endeavour and there were some encouraging green shoots. We’ll play better sides than Preston, but make no mistake they’re no mugs, and we were every bit a match for them.

Roberts inclusion as the focal target man raised a few eyebrows pre match but on balance he justified his place. Physically he put himself about, worked hard, won his fare share in the air and generally was effective at bringing in Sears and Edwards either side. I paid close attention to Roberts in the warm up, and his finishing left a little to be desired. The shooting drill against Gerken perhaps wasn’t his finest hour, and he did little on the pitch to allay those fears with a squandered half chance after Sears’ good work on the left. A few minutes later Roberts cut inside on his left before pulling his shot, and another half chance in the 2nd half was snatched at rather, failing to test the keeper. On today’s eveidence his finishing is questionable, but a solid performance from him all in.

Sears and Edwards either side showed glimpses, and both worked hard. If not creating goal scoring opportunities, they were at least gaining territory, putting Preston’s back line under pressuring and winning a number of corners.

The midfield 3 were a little hit and miss. Downes works hard, Skuse is Skuse, and Chalobah is frustrating in so much as one minute he looks like a world beater, and the next a panel beater. The real issue in today’s side for me remains at full back though. Knudsen simply isn’t good enough, and fails to retain possession on far too many occasions. I’ve not seen the stats, but I would wager his pass completion was again under 50%. Spence on the right isn’t much better. Useful, versatile squad players, but I’m sure they’re 2 positions that’ll be on Lamberts shopping list in January.

If the game had’ve ended after 60 minutes today I think we all would’ve left Portman road buoyant and in agreement that it was 3 points well earned. Unfortunately that’s not the case, a well taken freekick and some rash goalkeeping later and we were going into the final 20 minutes on level terms and with a man advantage. This was the most frustrating period for me, we lacked confidence, composure, and ultimately the ability to take charge of the game and test Gallagher in the Preston goal. If Lambert wasn’t aware of the size of the job at hand before today, I’m sure he will be now. Certainly not new news, but we’re desperately short of quality in attacking areas, as well as at full back as mentioned. I just hope we’re still in touching distance in January by the time we get the opportunity to address it.

A mention to the north stand too who gave a good account of themselves, I could definitely hear you from where I was and people are often quick to be critical when the atmosphere is flat, so it’s inportant to shout out occasions like today.

On balance an encouraging start, but much work to do. All I ask of my fellow town fans is whatever happens over the next couple of months, let’s back Lambert. If we’re going to judge, let’s at least do so when he’s had the opportunity to make this squad his own and unwind the damage Hurst has done. He’s got a lot to answer for has that bloke.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:18 - Nov 3 with 3374 viewsnshearman1

The placing of Roberts up front seems to have been a decent idea but also emphasises how much we lack a credible target man at this level and how much Jackson and Harrison are not it and what a mistake it was signing them.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:22 - Nov 3 with 3329 viewsbackwaywhen

Good post and bang on with your assessment.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:43 - Nov 3 with 3189 viewsHarry_Palmer

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:18 - Nov 3 by nshearman1

The placing of Roberts up front seems to have been a decent idea but also emphasises how much we lack a credible target man at this level and how much Jackson and Harrison are not it and what a mistake it was signing them.

I'm not sure it says anything about Harrison to be honest. I would like to see how he gets on under Lambert first before making a judgement.

I think even Harry Kane might have struggled to make an impact as the lone striker under Hurst.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:56 - Nov 3 with 3076 viewsDurovigutum

Full backs were OK, biggest problem was the lack of composure from about 5 minutes before they scored and then surprisingly after the keeper was sent off. We do also look somewhat toothless up front....
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 20:59 - Nov 3 with 3040 viewsfabian_illness

Good assessment.
Although have to disagree re: Spence. I thought he played really well today.
Pennington played well, that tackle... awesome.
I can see exactly what Lambert was aiming for at the back, established back 5 apart from MP. Don't think you could have picked better with what he had to choose from.
I liked the pace with which we played and we moved the ball a lot quicker.
After a week, I can for the first time this season see some progress.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 21:53 - Nov 3 with 2787 viewsSteve_M

Agree with most of that, I'm far less critical of the full backs though. That's a nice you have rather than a necessity in my view.

I thought we visibly flagged from 65 minutes onwards, Lambert tried to change it but their goal knocked us back and we couldn't get going again. We would have lost too if not for Pennington making a brilliant tackle.

The organisation and belief was much better today over all and I'm sure Lambert will improve both further. If we were starting the session now I would be very confident even wth this squad, just not sure if we're too far behind already. Other results today couldn't have been any worse but we can only deal with our own games - I'm looking forward to going to Reading now after that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:06 - Nov 3 with 2699 viewsDarth_Koont

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 21:53 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

Agree with most of that, I'm far less critical of the full backs though. That's a nice you have rather than a necessity in my view.

I thought we visibly flagged from 65 minutes onwards, Lambert tried to change it but their goal knocked us back and we couldn't get going again. We would have lost too if not for Pennington making a brilliant tackle.

The organisation and belief was much better today over all and I'm sure Lambert will improve both further. If we were starting the session now I would be very confident even wth this squad, just not sure if we're too far behind already. Other results today couldn't have been any worse but we can only deal with our own games - I'm looking forward to going to Reading now after that.

Agreed. We looked worse when we should have been in control — when we went 1-0 up and later when they went down to 10 men.

But to me that says more about our lack of self-belief that hopefully is set to improve over time with Lambert.

Pronouns: He/Him

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:13 - Nov 3 with 2665 viewsReuser_is_God

Bang on mate.

Get to January in touching distance then we go for it with some additions.

Frustrating today but positive signs. Really like Lambert, an excellent appointment & I hope that wherever we end up he’s walking out at PR as our manager in August.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:14 - Nov 3 with 2660 viewsDubtractor

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 21:53 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

Oddly I was about to post that I agree with the OP about full backs. They were both OK defensively, but a number of attacks floundered with their poor use of the ball - if either could put in a decent cross we could have made more of a few situations.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:20 - Nov 3 with 2615 viewsReuser_is_God

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:14 - Nov 3 by Dubtractor

Oddly I was about to post that I agree with the OP about full backs. They were both OK defensively, but a number of attacks floundered with their poor use of the ball - if either could put in a decent cross we could have made more of a few situations.

Agree, both pretty woeful on the ball.

Spence made some good interceptions today though & was probably a bit better than he usually is.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 06:42 - Nov 4 with 2225 viewsdepressed

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 22:14 - Nov 3 by Dubtractor

For me Spence was the better of the two full backs.
Knudsen continually gives the ball away with that long punt down the line.
So predictable..

Kickit

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 08:58 - Nov 4 with 1996 viewsGluedtoBlue

I think the back 4 was a good selection from Lambert and knocks aside I expect to see the same again. They're our best defensers and we need to be solid.

As for their crossing, it's hard to put a good cross in when you have one or no people in the box. Failure to commit players into the box.

Our passing game will improve with confidence, too many times when people had the ball did people run away from them.

Poll: Who do you hate the most?

My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 09:16 - Nov 4 with 1941 viewsBluebell

Good post.

Lambert started with 7 players from the McCarthy era and 4 Hurst signings. The 4 were Pennington and Chalobah (Prem players), Edwards and Roberts (who Hurst failed to play). The subs used were Dozzell, Rowe (both McCarthy era) and Jackson.

It left me wondering whether Lambert has decided that, as a team, we were better before Hurst arrived? What a shame Waggy, Garner, McGoldrick and Webster aren't still at Town!

What does he think of Nsiala, Nolan, Harrison (is he still injured?) and Graham to have left them off the bench?

Exciting times ahead methinks and it appears that Paul Lambert is putting his own take on the game and the players. His passion and experience shone through. Hopefully in January he will be able to bring in more experienced players.

Thanks goodness ME didn't wait any longer before making the changes.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 09:51 - Nov 4 with 1838 viewsgt81

First game I've been to since Blackburn and concur with all your points.

I'm really hoping with more time on the training pitch that some of the players that didn't make the starting XI/matchday 18 can step up and provide some competition.

One player that has been mentioned as a disappointment on a number of occasions is Jon Nolan, when you look at the game he played at Shrewsbury, he seemed exactly the type of ball carrying, run at opposing players we needed. On form, he's the kind of player that could have made a difference in the last 20 mins yesterday.

Same with Ellis Harrison, ineffective as a lone striker but perhaps played in a similar role to what Jordan Roberts played he'd be more effective.
My thoughts on today, for what they’re worth on 10:37 - Nov 4 with 1643 viewsArnieM

Great observations Clive. Thank you. I agree with you regarding our full backs. They have long been our defensive Achilles heel. We haven’t had a decent right back since David Wright, and I’m amazed at how many people now appear to concur with my long held views on Knudsen. Hes vastly overrated, ( couldn’t give a shyte “ he scored against the scum”). He’s constantly caught in possession upfield, and then jogs back whilst the CBS try to cope with his cock up. What really annoys me about Knudsen is his air of “ I’m a great full back”. Well certainly isn’t that. I hope we replace in the not too distant future.

Based on previous history, Lambert will sort the defence undoubtedly, but suspect his first job will be to bring in a striker with physical presence, dare I say “ Holtisuqe”, in nature. But yesterday his team was a “ team” for the first time this season, and he IS clearly the man for the job . Our fight survival this season will be likely to go to the final match. I hope we can succeed and we need to play our part, like we did yesterday.

COYBS

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024