Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. 07:55 - Oct 25 with 3520 viewsgordon

Is that they are the quality of player that we used to pick up on cheeky frees to pad out the squad.

I'm thinking Nouble, O'Callaghan, Drury, Diallo, Gleeson, Parr, Douglas, Anderson, Tabb, Santos etc.

And of course we've signed some genuinely excellent players for free or small fees over the years.

You just don't need to pay money to get players of the quality of Nsiala, Donacien or Nolan through the door if you've got a well-organised scouting system and good contacts in the game.

Too late now though!

[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 7:55]
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:09 - Oct 25 with 3413 viewsTerry_Nutkins

This is partly true but not sure about the fee bit in the sense that they are at good ages with lots of scope for development and had some sort of proven goalscoring etc. You are right though in the sense that these should have been squad additions and not all brought straight in to first 11. It is ridiculous to think they would all be championship ready at the same time and would all click!

When we are in L1 we will be quite well set with are younger guys and with these guys bedded in and more than capable a that level. The biggest issue will be getting confidence back!

What a ridiculous state of affairs that a 3rd through the season im talking about us being well prepared for L1!!!!

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:12 - Oct 25 with 3396 viewsSteve_M

I think all are sensible signings in their own right, the problem comes with the number of those signings and the loss of experienced players. It was obviously that this was too much change in the Summer and is even more so now.

I don't rule out any of them making a successful career here but I doubt all of them will.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 9:25]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:15 - Oct 25 with 3367 viewsgordon

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:09 - Oct 25 by Terry_Nutkins

This is partly true but not sure about the fee bit in the sense that they are at good ages with lots of scope for development and had some sort of proven goalscoring etc. You are right though in the sense that these should have been squad additions and not all brought straight in to first 11. It is ridiculous to think they would all be championship ready at the same time and would all click!

When we are in L1 we will be quite well set with are younger guys and with these guys bedded in and more than capable a that level. The biggest issue will be getting confidence back!

What a ridiculous state of affairs that a 3rd through the season im talking about us being well prepared for L1!!!!

Yes, they are a few years younger, but so what? You don't win bonus points for average squad age. For most of them this one season at the championship is going to be the peak of their careers, there isn't a great deal of scope for development there I'm afraid.
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:20 - Oct 25 with 3343 viewsgordon

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:12 - Oct 25 by Steve_M

I think all are sensible signings in their own right, the problem comes with the number of those signings and the loss of experienced players. It was obviously that this was too much change in the Summer and is even more so now.

I don't rule out any of them making a successful career here but I doubt all of them will.

Edwards is potentially very good, Jackson obviously has the physical qualities. The rest are no better than players of similar quality that would be available on free if we recruited well, and of ages where the chance of significant improvement are reduced.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 8:20]
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:53 - Oct 25 with 3239 viewsTIB

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:12 - Oct 25 by Steve_M

This is pretty spot on. We've invested in some potential but given up too much experience, on both the player and manager front.

The amount of players over the last few years we've seen other clubs pluck from League 1 and 2 and they've gone on to be quality players at this level or Premier level and we've bemoaned that we didn't try to sign them, yet here we are having signed such potential players and some still aren't happy. Matt Holland I also felt was a bit harsh on Jackson and his numbers at L2 level as Watkins at Brentford had similar figures when Exeter yet has made the step up and looks impressive.

I am starting to wonder what the team would be like managed by someone else as I do feel we have some potential there, it's just not being utilized correctly and is depleted of confidence.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:58 - Oct 25 with 3204 viewsLesta_Tractor

But all of them are cheap by today's standards...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:59 - Oct 25 with 3191 viewsRadlett_blue

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:53 - Oct 25 by TIB

This is pretty spot on. We've invested in some potential but given up too much experience, on both the player and manager front.

The amount of players over the last few years we've seen other clubs pluck from League 1 and 2 and they've gone on to be quality players at this level or Premier level and we've bemoaned that we didn't try to sign them, yet here we are having signed such potential players and some still aren't happy. Matt Holland I also felt was a bit harsh on Jackson and his numbers at L2 level as Watkins at Brentford had similar figures when Exeter yet has made the step up and looks impressive.

I am starting to wonder what the team would be like managed by someone else as I do feel we have some potential there, it's just not being utilized correctly and is depleted of confidence.

The glaring issue is the lack of a focal point up front. Harrison showed some early promise, but became isolated as Hurst lost faith in his system after poor early results. Walters was a gamble that failed; Jackson has promise but isn't ready to lead the line. Sears isn't a lone striker. Not surprising that the ball doesn't stick up front & we struggle to create chanced. By January, it may well be too late.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:04 - Oct 25 with 3160 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think that is the case - they were players that came in one at a time and grew into the squad.

Matt Holland mentioned it and DJ confirmed it - when you step up from a lower level it takes time to adjust, and you lean on the experienced pros around you.

Our business has made us a promoted side without the benefit of a winning habit and momentum

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Login to get fewer ads

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:07 - Oct 25 with 3133 viewsElderGrizzly

A number of these were in the team of the year for their leagues. They are not ‘cheeky’ freebies etc.

The issue is we have too many at once, but all those you list had and probably still do have good potential to develop.
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:22 - Oct 25 with 3051 viewsPlums

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:04 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

I don't think that is the case - they were players that came in one at a time and grew into the squad.

Matt Holland mentioned it and DJ confirmed it - when you step up from a lower level it takes time to adjust, and you lean on the experienced pros around you.

Our business has made us a promoted side without the benefit of a winning habit and momentum

Spot on. Look how long it took for Taricco to get into the squad. It was worth the wait. Others never got there.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:32 - Oct 25 with 2985 viewsYallop

Equally Jermaine Wright, Holland, Stewart, DJ were lower league prospects in the Nolan mould signed for big fees.

I'm all for bashing PH but on the basis of your argument Burley shouldn't have spent money on the above.
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:40 - Oct 25 with 2949 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:32 - Oct 25 by Yallop

Equally Jermaine Wright, Holland, Stewart, DJ were lower league prospects in the Nolan mould signed for big fees.

I'm all for bashing PH but on the basis of your argument Burley shouldn't have spent money on the above.

All except Holland were in the same division as us when we signed them. (I think, it was a long time ago)

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:41 - Oct 25 with 2935 viewsStokieBlue

I think Donacien is actually pretty good and has been harshly treated by Hurst and played out of position.

I think he will end up being a good RB for us over the longer term.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:44 - Oct 25 with 2916 viewsSteve_M

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:32 - Oct 25 by Yallop

Only Holland was signed from a lower division though and all had the advantage of being allowed to fit into an established squad.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:46 - Oct 25 with 2892 viewsgordon

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:07 - Oct 25 by ElderGrizzly

A number of these were in the team of the year for their leagues. They are not ‘cheeky’ freebies etc.

The issue is we have too many at once, but all those you list had and probably still do have good potential to develop.

None of them were in the League 1 or 2 PFA team of the year last year.

Appreciate that the majority think otherwise, but these signings aren't anywhere near the quality of Holland, Johnson, Wright, Walters, Cresswell etc. But obviously I agree that bringing in so many at once was always likely to end badly.
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:47 - Oct 25 with 2882 viewsgordon

Stewart and Wright were both established championship players, and Johnson was scoring goals in the championship before we signed him etc.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2018 9:49]
The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:51 - Oct 25 with 2853 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:04 - Oct 25 by itfcjoe

You can compare chucking players from lower league in with just a and full of more experienced players to the way MM looked at cup games. Had Mick just used 3-4 youngsters they would have benefited from the experienced players around them as it was they lacked support from senior players resulting in defeat.

PH seems to blame the experienced players for not giving that support/ guidance. Had our new signings been promoted together to the championship they would have done a lot better.

PH created the current situation. He is not the man to resolve it. Get rid today.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:57 - Oct 25 with 2797 viewsBiGDonnie

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:09 - Oct 25 by Terry_Nutkins

From what I've seen this side would struggle in league 2, let alone league 1.

We'll be in the conference by 2023.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 06:57 - Jul 9 with 1866 viewsGiveusaWave

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:57 - Oct 25 by BiGDonnie

From what I've seen this side would struggle in league 2, let alone league 1.

We'll be in the conference by 2023.

We easily have enough to do well in League 1. Top 6? Not sure....

Poll: If we sign one player in the Jan window....

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:06 - Jul 9 with 1689 viewschicoazul

Comparing Ellis Harrisson to Paul Anderson and Jay Tabb is fighting talk in these here parts mister.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:46 - Jul 9 with 1576 viewsSouperJim

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 06:57 - Jul 9 by GiveusaWave

We easily have enough to do well in League 1. Top 6? Not sure....

Nice bit of random threadnomancy, love it

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:00 - Jul 9 with 1533 viewsGeoffSentence

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 08:58 - Oct 25 by Lesta_Tractor

But all of them are cheap by today's standards...

In that case Pompey have stolen Harrison.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The thing with Nsiala, Donacien Nolan, Harrison, Jackson etc. on 09:13 - Jul 9 with 1498 viewsDubtractor

It would appear that Gordon was pretty much spot on with this verdict.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024